A Tryst with Destiny

William stood there shell shocked. He had feared for this moment, he knew it might happen some day, but he never expected it to happen now, he was not ready to face her. Arianne looked at the man with judging eyes, she studied him and she could see the fear in his eyes, but not the guilt.

For a long moment there was silence, then Arianne decided to break it, "Two centuries William. I have been searching for you, struggling to find my way to India. I wandered this ancient world, seeking closure", she walked closer to William as she spoke, "Where is my Sebastian?"

William tried to look away, he turned around, he could not face Arianne's question. "William answer me! What happened to Sebastian!?"
"He died Arrianne! He is dead!" William broke down as he exclaimed the truth,
Arianne's expression turned from a questioning angered gaze to a sorrow filled frown, "You don't think I know that William.." she said as her voice broke and a tear ran down her cheek.

She walked in front of William and held his shoulders, "When I made my escape from the manse of Gaius Marius with the other slaves. I heard that they had taken the man who freed us and.... crucified him..", she spoke with a sobbing voice.
"He died for you Arianne..He loved you."
"He was foolhardy and he paid the price.. When I went to bring back his body, the crucifix was empty. For a moment then, I hoped that somewhere somehow he would still live, but the blood on the pillar destroyed my hopes. That is when I realized, if he was anywhere, if his body was anywhere, you would know. Now I stand here before you, I ask you, where is my Sebstian?"

William closed his eyes and clenched his fist, he mustered the strength to face his inevitable fate. In that moment, the past seemed to flash before him conjuring a vivid image of that grotesque sight, of his friend Sebastian being sawed into pieces as he screamed in pain, his last words were for the wife he loved, 'Arianne! Arianne!'. William could not find Arianne, nor could he let her see Sebastian like this. He decided then that it would be best if he took the body with him, but he swore he would not grant his final rites till he found Arianne. He tried whatever he could within his means, but three decades of trying had not yielded any results. He concluded instead that he would wait, till the time came."Follow me", William said in a low voice before leading Arianne to his bedchamber.

Beside his bed he kept a large wooden casket. He dragged it out from the corner and opened it. The casket, had the bones of Sebastian Kapoor. Arianne took small hesitant steps towards the morbid casket, she knelt down and felt over the bones. They were a terrible, mangled mess. "Sebastian.." she sobbed, "What did they do to you.."

William put his hand on her shoulder and spoke, "For all its worth, he was brave. He was braver than I."
"He was your friend William.. Didn't you try and save him?" she said in a tear filled voice.
"I tried Arianne, I tried but I failed. The emissary... said we couldn't let the actions of one man destroy our relations with Rome. Nothing I said or did would change it. It was hard Arianne.. I just stood there watching my friend.."
Arianne stood up and slapped William. "You failed your friend. You failed me ! Because of you, my husband died. You condemned me to two centuries of sorrow."

William just stood there silent and sullen, tears ran down his face as he stood there facing his judgment. Arianne wept for her lost love, William could only stand and watch and contemplated over his own failure. He had redeemed himself in his own eyes, but knew that Arianne would never forgive him. There was little that could be done now, time it is said heals all wounds. As Arianne had the right to express her anger, two centuries of grief and longing poured out before him, William questioned the wisdom of this saying.

When she was finished and dried her tears, she closed the casket and stood up. Arianne took a deep breath before she spoke, "Sebastian was a Hindu. He is entitled to a Hindu funeral. Can you give him at least that much, William ?"
"I will call for a priest. We may begin the final rites tomorrow."

The final rites for Sebastian were concluded some days later. A funeral pyre was lit on the banks of the sacred Ganga. William and Arianne stood at a distance from each other. There was still some anger in Arianne, but William could see she had begun to forgive him. A woman could not complete the final rites, so it was William who took the responsibility.

They waited till the fires burned out, Sebastian's ashes were thrown in the Ganga. The chapter at last had come to an end, Arianne had achieved closure. The sun had set by the time the ritual was ended, the two immortals saw each other one last time. Arianne wrapped her face with the veil once more, "We won't see each other again William. Our paths may not meet again, not for centuries."
"Arianne, you don't need to do this. You can have a place here."
"No William, you don't understand. I have built a world of my own back in Alexandria. Perhaps some day, in this immortal life, we will meet again, I don't know, but not today. Farewell William Sayer."
"Arianne, before you leave. There is one thing I'd like to ask of you."
"I know what you're thinking William. You have my forgiveness."

At that moment, William felt like a huge burden was lifted from his conscience.

Nice a new update. I actually read the last one but forgot to comment on it. Great as always ;)

Will read this one later today.

Glad to see it going forward, and winter break starts next wednesday for me, so expect some free time on my part :D

Oh and yes, Rio's chaos hasn't struck me yet, so no worries :lol:

Although those severed body parts appearing at Copcabana Beach right beside the Olympics Beach Volleyball place were pretty scary :sad:

Well even so, I'd play this as a non-interactive story till at least 240 AD when the Guptas can emerge. If I see players are still active and interested I may make it interactive again. Historically the Satavanahas died out in 220 AD. The Guptas establish their rule in Bengal in 224 AD. Interestingly because of earlier policies we'll have calendar tech by 240 AD allowing us a possible change in civics.

Nice a new update. I actually read the last one but forgot to comment on it. Great as always ;)

Will read this one later today.

Glad to see it going forward, and winter break starts next wednesday for me, so expect some free time on my part :D

Oh and yes, Rio's chaos hasn't struck me yet, so no worries :lol:

Although those severed body parts appearing at Copcabana Beach right beside the Olympics Beach Volleyball place were pretty scary :sad:

Meanwhile, 20 hostages were hacked to death in a terrorist attack in the diplomatic enclave in Dhaka, Bangladesh. I've been disturbed since yesterday :( .

I heard they're also changing bus routes and building walls in Rio to hide the slums?

The Wall is a lie, and I can see where this comes from. Some 20 years ago, a politician (who died earlier this year BTW), said his plan was to build a wall to separate the city itself from the slums (as if the slums weren't part of the city :lol:). That hasn't worked for obvious reasons, like that most people in Rio live in those, and they are workers in several places, like bus drivers, traffic guards, garbage collectors, shopkeepers*, housekeepers, gardeners, taxi drivers, and many more actually (it's even common to find people living in these slums with a college degree, but they are the minority there). Imagine a city without these, or having to regulate their in and out situation of the "Slum Compunds" as this dead politician aimed in the 90s.

So seeing the resurface of this idea brought to you foreigners as if it's real is just a lie about a plan that failed and won't happen until the Olympics.

About the bus routes I have no idea, I've been avoiding using the public bus because they are too expensive these days. I believe this is true, but not officially. Bus drivers here are notorious for doing several stuff they shouldn't do, one of them being changing their routes.

Meanwhile, 20 hostages were hacked to death in a terrorist attack in the diplomatic enclave in Dhaka, Bangladesh. I've been disturbed since yesterday :( .

Man that's bizarre, I hope things don't get messier around there. BTW, I'd like your opinion about the current situation of China and the relation between your 2 countries. I've been seeing news showing that China is becoming pretty dangerous to its neighbors, especially India and Vietnam.

The Wall is a lie, and I can see where this comes from. Some 20 years ago, a politician (who died earlier this year BTW), said his plan was to build a wall to separate the city itself from the slums (as if the slums weren't part of the city :lol:). That hasn't worked for obvious reasons, like that most people in Rio live in those, and they are workers in several places, like bus drivers, traffic guards, garbage collectors, shopkeepers*, housekeepers, gardeners, taxi drivers, and many more actually (it's even common to find people living in these slums with a college degree, but they are the minority there). Imagine a city without these, or having to regulate their in and out situation of the "Slum Compunds" as this dead politician aimed in the 90s.

So seeing the resurface of this idea brought to you foreigners as if it's real is just a lie about a plan that failed and won't happen until the Olympics.

About the bus routes I have no idea, I've been avoiding using the public bus because they are too expensive these days. I believe this is true, but not officially. Bus drivers here are notorious for doing several stuff they shouldn't do, one of them being changing their routes.

Man that's bizarre, I hope things don't get messier around there. BTW, I'd like your opinion about the current situation of China and the relation between your 2 countries. I've been seeing news showing that China is becoming pretty dangerous to its neighbors, especially India and Vietnam.

I only heard about these things because Vox did a whole video on it

Link to video.

The Chinese 'threat' is grotesquely exaggerated by the media. At least on India anyways. As for the incident in Dhaka, check out the 'Madhushala' group. I'll be updating it now.

More on the Bangladesh attack -

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bangladesh-attack-death-toll-survivors-dhaka/

The jungles East of Vanga had an ominous reputation, here lay man eating tigers, witches, crocodiles and poisonous insects. Most lethal however, was the monsoons. In those months, the narrow hilly paths are turned into rivers of sludge. Horses cannot pass through, it could only be crossed on foot and by elephant. This was where the Elephant division found itself indispensable. In the tenth day of Spring, the invasion of Pugam commenced, for in this season, the soil was still dry and the heat had not yet reached its zenith.

Commander Nayak Balasen led two hundred elephants and two thousand infantry through the unforgiving jungles of Brahmadesh to their target in Pugam. This was a most treacherous route and none in the Pugam would anticipate their enemies coming upon them from the North, so it was that their only defenses were erected to the West facing the sea. Emperor Vashishtaputra had granted forty maunds of gold, the orders from the crown were to take the city without bloodshed or destruction, the Emperor would prefer to take Pugam whole. Thus, fear and bribery were to be preferred over slaughter, much to the disappointment of Commander Balasen.

The army encamped forty leagues North of Pugam, it would not be long before the elephant horde charged through to Pugam, but unbeknownst to the commander, the gates of Pugam were open. Commander was resting in his tent when the sounds of ruffling plants and footsteps awakened him. The next moment he heard commotion in the encampment, a soldier came to his tent to inform him, "Nayak Balasen we have just caught soldiers from Pugam. Their leader says he has a proposal."

He put on his armor and picked up his sword and walked up to the enemy. He did not expect the enemy to have arrived at their location, yet here they were, stranger still was the fact that the leader of their squad had 'a proposal', 'What could he be doing ?', he wondered as he approached the center of the camp. There were about a dozen soldiers from Pugam, all lightly clad and lightly armed. In the dark of the night only the torches provided some visibility, they revealed the soldiers in their garb, they wore a light tunic and a thin cloth around their waist and legs, a cloth band around the waist held the scabbard for the dagger.

The commander looked down at the leader of this squad, he stood a whole foot taller than the enemy before him, and the contempt in his expression was obvious,it was even more so when he spoke,"So what do we have here? The leader of a dwarf army comes to Nayak Balasen with a .. proposal? Is this not laughable? hahahaha! I look at you, and I see a creature worthy of pity. Tell me little man, why should I not order my men to crush you beneath the foot of my elephants?"

The leader gave a most sheepish smile, he then folded his palms together and knelt before Commander Balasen and bowed, "Your eminence", he said in a shrill low voice, "Every child in Pugam knows we are not worthy to stand before your army. Every day since your Emperor declared war on our unfortunate little kingdom, we have lived in fear of annihilation before your Great Elephant hordes. The elders of the city are ignorant of your vast powers, but we are not. We know we cannot fight you, for this reason, your eminence, we come before you with the offer of Pugam itself. We will give you the city, but all I ask is that you spare us."

Commander Balasen smiled, he looked at the faces of his soldiers and saw the enemy soldier bowing before him, then he broke out into laughter, "Haaaah hahahahaha! Did I not say these men have no fight in them ?", he looked back at the kneeling soldier and then ordered one of his men, "Bring the gold. One bag full.", a soldier brought one of the forty sheepskin sacks which held the gold bribe from the Emperor, he took the bag and threw it before the soldier, "Loyalty to Magadh is never unpaid. Do your work as you have promised, in the second hour past the sun rise, my army would move."

The Pugam soldier's eyes lit up as he felt the glittering gold in his hands, he took the sack, bowed twice before he departed into the forest with his band of archers. Commander Balasen marched on to Pugam as promised, but when he came there, there were guards on the parapets of the wooden pallisade walls and they cheered the Army of Magadh as it rode into their cities. At the central square of the town, there stood a great tree, and on its branches hung the severed heads of the city's elders. Commander Balasen was most pleased.

Spoiler :

The winds of autumn had arrived on Bharata, with them the victorious elephant division of the Army of Magadh marched through the capital. The citizens showered the soldiers with flowers and cheered them on their glorious march to the palace. The conquest of Pugam had opened a new chapter in the history of the Satavahan Dynasty, one of glory, conquest and prosperity, so declared the Samrat Vashishtaputra Satakarni. Yet, beneath the show of jubilation the star kept fading.

Since the beginnings of the currency reform, local landlords saw their wealth and power increasing at the expense of the Emperor. A few powerful houses had begun minting their own coins and raising their own private armies. However, neither the Samrat nor his court saw this as a threat, "There are but only a handful of such lords in the realm" the Samrat would say, "And they are loyal to the realm. As long as they do not threaten the integrity of the throne I see no reason to take action against them.", Kumar Pulumayi would seldom ever disagree.

Though Mahamatya Jayantu would suspect their motives, he too would often let go of those lords. In particular, the Lords of Vanga had grown exceptionally rich.

Regardless of these threats, the Samrat did not go back on his father's plan to establish plantations across the realm. Each plantation would be managed by Lords who had the leave of the Samrat to mint their own currency and collect rent in the name of the crown. Cotton was found in the Western reaches of the Empire of Magadh, in Gandhar and Avanti.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

The first plantations brought great wealth to the poorer western provinces. Now the Samrat directed that the worker guilds would help establish plantations within Magadh and Vanga.

Spoiler :

----------------------------------

In the twenty years that passed, very little had changed in the realm. Gautamiputra Satakarni had secured unparalleled power and prestige for the Empire of Magadh. There seemed very little that his successors could do to better the realm. For this reason, they became indolent.

In this time Samrat Vashishtaputra had grown an unhealty obsession for bhang and madira. Though Kumar Pulumayi was a more disciplined ruler, he did not show interest in matters of the state. More often than not, he would be seen in the Palace library reading through his great grandfather's works, the poems of Samrat Hala Satavahan. Thus, the administration of the realm fell upon the shoulders of Mahamatya Jayantu.

While Bharat had been in peace, all was not well with the affairs of the world. The Empire of the Han had been plagued by constant barbarian invasions, after the destruction of Afrasiyab, the Kushan migrated West in search of a new homeland, they went with their hordes to invade the domains of the Han Empire. Though their army had succeeded in pushing them back, they continued to raid the Western reaches of the Empire. Every time the Kushan raiders would attack, they would burn villages and ride away before the infantry and chariot army of the Han would be able to catch them.

Sensing an opportunity, Mahamatya Jayantu had sent emissaries to the east. These were Kambojas from the highlands of Gandhar who were expert riders. The Mahamatya gave them instructions to teach the Han of Cavalry warfare and the knowledge of Kushan tactics. They rode to the East through the Eastern highlands to reach the Han domains on the banks of the Yangtze river. The Emperor had gotten word of the coming of these riders from the East, sent from the court of the Empire of Magadh to teach the military of the Middle Kingdom the knowledge of Horseback Riding.

The Emperor most eagerly accepted them into his halls. The Han capital was a wonder of the world, more grandiose than Pataliputra and larger than Roma. Upon their arrival, the Emperor gifted the emissaries with silken robes and gifts of gold ingots, this would be their reward for imparting their knowledge to the Han Empire. For five years, the riders traveled across the Empire imparting their knowledge to the men of the army of the Middle Kingdom. When they departed, the Emperor grateful for the assistance sent an offer of his own, to strengthen relations with the Empire of Magadh, the Emperor sent a hundred and fifty three maunds worth of coin along with four wise men who would help the Empire of Magadh establish a universal currency.

Spoiler :

While the Kambojas imparted their wisdom to the Middle Kingdom, there was dire news from the other end of the world. The Empire of Roma was reeling under a new threat, one that had not been seen since the age of Janapadas. "They were called sea people", our emissary to Roma wrote to us, "They are tall and strong with fair skin. They had no written language, nor any other visible skill save that of building sturdy ships and navigating the seas. It is said that they came from a land of perpetual ice in the distant Northern realm. From those unforgiving lands, these sturdy men set out to loot and pillage, their writ ran where ever the seas touched soil, and they attack with impunity. For their acts, all trade through the seas between Roma and the Yavan homelands have come to a halt. Our traders are unable to come to the markets in Latium."

The accountants of the Palace recorded that year as one of great losses for the exchequer. Despite these losses, there was little that the Empire of Magadh could do to aid its Western partner. It was now more important than ever, to develop the domains of the Empire, for trade could no longer be our mainstay.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

There were whispers in the shadows, beneath the halls of the Palace, in the inns of the city and the shelters on the highways. They spoke of a clique, a secretive group of conspirators who controlled the levers of power in Magadh. This was a clique of landlords and money lenders who through their control over the economy had mastery over the realm. None in the court knew of their existence, or so it was told, hence and none in the court had power over them.

Many events would be credited one way or another to the work of the clique, be it the passage of a royal decree to guarantee freedom of coin production, or diplomatic envoys to neighbouring lands. Those who believed in the clique's existence would point to the hidden hand of the shadowy lords behind these events. Whether or not any of the rumours were true, the clique had acquired a reputation. Some lords would even claim membership of the clique to garner influence.

So when the story leaked out of theft of grain from the royal granaries of Pataliputra, it was but natural that the hand of the clique would be suspected. Kumar Pulumayi had taken over as Samrat from his brother, whose health grew worse with time. But Kumar Pulumayi was hardly interested in matters of administration, an incident such as this did not boost his confidence.

Last year, Mahamatya Jayantu had resigned from service and a new Mahamatya, Ganesh Chandra had taken his place. Mahamatya Ganesh was not a man who many trusted, but he was the most skilled Acharya in the realm. At the time of the crisis, he and the Samrat discussed the means to contain the crisis.

"Samrat", the Mahamatya began, "Despite the best of our efforts, we have been unable to hide the news of this theft from spreading beyond the Palace. People are questioning your ability, Samrat."
Samrat Pulumayi sat, not on the Lion throne but the seat of the Kumar, he did not wish to sit in his brother's place, he had a tired look on his face and a morose expression, "So what do you think should be done.. Mahamatya ?"
"Samrat, .. I am only your minister. It is you who must.."
"This is not my calling Mahamatya !", the samrat exclaimed frustratingly, "My brother was more the administrator than I am. I do not know what to do here, this blasted realm so vast and complicated and yet ... this task feels so.. mundane. What am I to do Mahamatya ?"
"Samrat, if I may. There is a possible solution."
"Which is ?"
"We purchase additional grain from the Lords of the South. From the losses I estimate we would need 25 maunds of gold from our treasury to purchase the grain."
"Do it! You have my leave."
"Samrat .. are you sure."
"If you feel this is the best course of action, then do so. You are the Mahamatya, I trust your wisdom."
Ganesh gave a knowing smile and bowed, "I am much obliged your excellency."

Though it was by no means a very large sum, the purchase of grain from the Lords of Magadh served to embolden them. Mahamatya Ganesh Chandra ensured that the Royal Granaries would become dependent on purchasing grain from the Lords. They now had control over both Pataliputra's economy, and its food.

--------------------

Ten years later, in the 190th year of the Vikram Samvat calendar, tragedy struck the Royal household. Samrat Vashihorsehockyaputra had died. It was a peaceful death, but one filled with fear and regret. Fear for the future and regret for deeds undone. At the time of his death, it was said that the Samrat saw a terrible dream. In this dream, he saw the Lion throne in the Great hall, the floor was covered in a thick layer of blood and yet more oozed out of the mouth of the Lion throne. Its eyes were gleaming in the darkness, and as he walked towards it, he saw severed heads lined by its teeth. As he came closer, he could recognize the heads, they were the severed heads of his family, his brother, his children, his wife, and his in-laws. Among them was his own, hanging grotesquely from the tooth of the lion. A sinister voice boomed out from within the Lion throne, in the darkness it laughed, "Heheheheheh, The star has faded Vashishta. You are the fortunate one, your children are not. hehhehehehe".

The dream was not spoken of outside the family, but ever since then, dread had caught the dynasty, for it was believed the dreams of a dying man foretold the future.

---------------------

Five years later, Samrat Pulumayi reigned with a heavy heart and a heavy brow. The loss of his brother, and the dreaded dream plagued his thoughts, but he took satisfaction at the fact that the realm was at peace. Today like many other days, would pass with the usual humdrum of the royal court, peasants would approach for relief, lords would approach for further grants, disputes between Lords and peasants would have to be settled by the Samrat, though in practice by the Mahamatya, and a plethora of foreign emissaries and dignitaries would arrive to give their greetings to the Samrat.

However, two visitors to the court stood out among the rest. The first of them, was a bahlik Bhikku, from the Parad kingdom.

Spoiler :

"Pranam Samrat", the bhikku bowed before the emperor.
"Speak, O bhikku, what have you to plead?"
"Samrat, I come from the Parad kingdom and the town of Pura."
The samrat was surprised by that, "From Pura? I did not know there were followers of the Buddha in the town of Pura."
"Indeed Samrat, there weren't, till now. Through the efforts of Bhante Ramaray, we have succeeded in bringing the citizens of Pura to the fold of Dharma."
"Then I congratulate you on your endeavor."
The bhikku bowed, "We are most grateful your excellency. But we are in need of your assistance."
"Oh? How may I do so?"
"Our town, falls under the domains of the Parasik kingdom. The governor of the Prasik kingdom has not heard our pleas to help build a Sangh. We have had to conduct our sermons in the hills and sheds. Our followers require that we at least have a proper ashram to house the Sangh."
"Mahamatya", the samrat called out, "Ensure that the Sangh of Pura is funded with a maund of gold from our treasury to build their ashram.
The Mahamatya did not agree with the Samrat, "Oh most honorable Samrat, I must plead with you, to consider the state of our finances. We have been losing 3 mounds of gold every year, if we spend .."
"I will not accept that. The cause of the Sangh is more important than financial frugality. It is my order that you disburse this sum to Sangh at Pura!"
The Mahamatya relented, "Your will be done my Samrat."
The bhikku bowed, "We are most grateful your magnificence."

After the Bhikku left, the next visitor came. He was a man like none other, his clothes were filled with exotic trinkets the likes of which were never seen by the sons of Bharatvarsh, "Greetings Samrat. I come to you, from the ends of the world and I bring to you great gifts." He clapped his hand twice and twenty attendants entered the Great hall with chest full of silver and gems. The visitor ordered the chests be kept before the Emperor's throne.

The emperor was as amazed as everyone else in the hall, he looked in wonder at this strange man, "Who are you?" he asked.
"Samrat, many years ago, your grandfather had commissioned explorations across the Eastern seas to make contact with isolated tribes of the lands of the East. We were to learn of their ways and establish trade with them. I am the grandson of that great explorer who had ventured out. My name, is Tarachand."
The Samrat was fascinated, "Speak, O explorer. Tell me of these lands and people you have met."

Tarachand regaled the emperor and those in the hall with stories of intrepid travel and explorations across the Eastern seas. The new lands discovered East of Sumatra where Hindu tribes granted gifts of gold, and of the fishing villages of the Adrishya Dweep, who were in awe of the culture of Bharata. At the end, the samrat asked him, "But what do you wish to do with the treasure you have acquired ?"
"Samrat," Tarachand replied, "I have acquired enough wealth to last my family for the next two generations. I only have to fulfill my duty to the realm. For which, I have brought with my attendants, this vast treasure, that I bequeath unto the Empire."
The samrat was pleased with this gesture, "Your generosity is most welcome. I am certain, that you will find your reward, both in this life and in the afterlife."

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

The shadows of death

The waters of the Eastern Sea were infamous for their brackish appearance, but it was on these dark waters that the sons of Ceylon learned their skill with sail. Raja Amandagamani Abhaya remembered his younger days as he sailed through these waters, when he would learn the sails from the commander of Lanka's naval commander himself. He would love to sail these waters as a boy, the thrill of the sail, the wind in his hair, and the freedom he felt as he sailed on the seas.

He stood at the stern of the ship with his hand spread, revelling in the wind and waters when he was approached by the captain of the ship, “Raja Abhaya”, he called out. The Raja was awoken from his blissful state, “Ah yes, what is it captain?”

“I thought to inform you, we are only seven days' sail away from Lanka.”

“That is excellent Captain. I long to return to my kingdom.”, The Raja turned more melancholy in his words, “Perhaps there I may be able to turn my mind to happier thought.”, he contemplated on his time as Mahamatya of Magadh and its ignominious end, but he was content with the able hands he left his office in. For his years in Magadh and his contributions, he did not expect such a slight from the emperor. He would sometimes contemplate on this,“I put an end to Kartikeya's schemes, I brought prosperity to the realm, I put the empire on the path to wealth and glory, the likes of which it had not seen. For all my efforts.. the upstart emperor throws away my plans, those very provisions I worked so hard for... and he!.. but no.. it is forgiven. What will it gain anyone or the realm if I fight over this slight.”

Amandagamani had decided at the end to forgive and forget, not an easy work to do for a man who was at once proud and selfless. A strange combination yet, both these seemingly opposing qualities were contained in him. He worked diligently for whichever office he was granted, and he worked with a brutal efficiency that those around him would attest to, yet he would never shirk from stressing credit for his work nor would he tolerate anyone no matter how high altering his method of work. It was this quality that often became a weakness when it came to making friends. He knew there were snakes in his own home, those in the court of the Lion Castle of Anuradhapura, who would rather see him fall, devious scheming men who would grasp at any opportunity, no matter what the moral cost, to gain position. Amandagamani did well to keep their like in a state of fear, over time he only grew more brutally efficient at it. However, even a stellar ruler such as him could not have imagined the scale and depth of the conspirators who worked tirelessly to destroy all that he had constructed.

He looked up to the skies and saw grey clouds in the horizon, the clouds which bring rain and storm, “the rains come early”, he remarked and turned around to talk with the ship's captain. He was inspecting the stores in the ship's hold at the time, when Amandagamani Abhaya came to him, “Captain, there are storm clouds approaching. We must change course.”

“That isn't right, this is not the season for storms.”

“It is not, though it is not unlike for the weather to become treacherous in the summers.”

“I shall see to it the course is changed. We are on the coast of Dravida lands, I doubt there are any ports nearby. Kanchipuram is at least fifteen days' sail from here, longer still if we count the coming storm.”

“I see”, Amandagamani replied with a concerned look on his face, “I would advice we sail along the coast. Call on the messenger to send a bird to Lanka, inform them that I shall be delayed in my return.”

“It will be done my lord”.

The captain went on his way to ready the messenger and instruct his first mate, while the raja retreated to his chamber. He set to write his message and go through his records. There were many matters that still caused concern in his mind, among them was the state of the economy. He was a keen student of history and he had gone through the records of the Royal Library at Pataliputra, an archive maintained by none other than the immortal scribe, Mrityunjay. He explained the role of the aristocrats and nobility. It was written in the books of the ancient age that in the days before the Samrats of Magadh, the nobility of the west held sway, after the rise of the first Samrat in Magadh, Samrat Dhrittiman, their hold faded and a nobility arose in the East and South. At the end of the Mauryan Dynasty, the lords of the South aided by the rule of the new Dravida dynasty of the Satavahana gained power over the realm. During his time as Mahamatya Raja Abhaya initiated new reforms which enriched both Southern and Eastern lords, but it was the lords of the East who now controlled the grain supply of Pataliputra who benefited the most.

“Every time a faction of the nobility grew in strength and wealth, they sought to influence who would rule over Magadh. Now it was the Lords of the East who held the same position as the Aristocrats of the West or the Lords of the South. We must be cautious”, he reasoned. Once he had finished his message he got to writing down his memoirs wherein he laid down his observations and left this warning to his successors. An hour had passed in this manner with the Raja writing his memoirs in the peaceful solitude of his cabin, when quite suddenly the ship began to rock violently. It threw Amandagamani off balance and set his books tumbling to the ground. Alarmed the king stood up and walked to the deck, he saw the dark storm clouds gathering above. There was a flurry of activity on the deck with sailors adjusting the sails and the captain barking orders. Strong winds rocked the boat and he could see it being driven farther and farther off the coast. He walked up to the captain, “What is happening!?”, he shouted out.

“The storm has come up unexpectedly Arya Abhaya. It is like nothing I have seen, it is as if the Gods have cursed the weather!”

“Buddha save us!..” he shouted in despair.

The raja stayed on the deck, his long regal scarf had been thrown off by the winds and taken to the sea and he could barely hold on to his turban. He remained on deck for a while, but the ship was being swayed too violently for him to retain his balance, the rains had finally began to fall now, making visibility worse. The sailors now half blinded by rain and wind struggled to keep the ship steady, the Raja crouched down and held on to the railings on the deck. He could not see the devious look in the eyes of the captain, in the midst of the chaos that unfolded on the deck, he pushed the raja just as the ship swayed, it was enough to throw him overboard and on to the water. The Raja could not understand what happened, perhaps a piece of the ship had been thrown his way by the winds ? Perhaps the captain lost balance and hit him ? Whatever it was, he did not anticipate the real intention, he kept calling on the captain, “Captain! Help me !”, he called out as best as he could from the water, the violent waves had begun to drown him out, he was a good swimmer, but in waters like these even his skills would not save him. “Captain!!” he called out once again, his voice nearly drained out by the sound of thunder rain and wind, “CAPTAIN!!”, was the last call before the waters finally drowned him.

--------

The sudden death of the Great man, Amandagamani Abhaya, came as a shock to the realm. In the corridors of power in Magadh, sorrow filled the air, and none was more hurt by this, than the appointed Mahamatya of Magadh, a long time student and apprentice of Amandagamani Abhaya. The Samrat had thus commissioned a memorial to the fallen Mahamatya, a statue and pillar was to be erected to his name in the main square of Pataliputra.

In the aftermath of the death of Amandagamani Abhaya, a succession crisis erupted in Lanka, he had yet to formally appoint his son as heir and for this he had not yet sought the approval of the ministry of Lanka. Now the scion of the house of Lambakanna, a cousin cadet branch of the the clan of Vijaya, who ruled the kingdom of Anuradhapura, sought to stake his claim to the throne. For this he raised an army of his own and sought the support of Magadh, fearing trouble in the South, Gautamiputra Satakarni intervened. The Scion of Lambakanna was forced to dismantle his army, in return he would rule in diarchy with his cousin. To ensure the peace prevailed, Samrat Gautamiputra Satakarni entered into marriage with the Clan of Lambakanna.

The arrangement held for as long as the Samrat lived, soon after his death, the last Vijayan ruler died of a mysterious illness. The throne of Anuradhapura was now entirely under the rule of the Clan of Lambakanna.

Last edited:
Raktacharit – writ in blood

Four centuries had the Satavahan ruled over the realm of Bharata, longer than any dynasty since the founding of this empire. The people called it, the immortal dynasty, since never in living memory had any dynasty ruled for as long, yet wiser men knew, that all things must pass, even the reign of the immortal dynasty. Bhikkus and Sadhus alike spoke of an impending tragedy, the star of the Satavahan was fading, and an unfortunate heir will come to this world to see the Satvahan dynasty extinguish.

At the end of his life, Sri Pulumayi, the third of his name, saw a dream on his deathbed, the dream saw the end of his line, the end of the Satavahan dynasty. His vision was grizzly and frightening, but every heir to the throne since him had been passed this story. Pulumayi remembered his father, the passing Samrat whose reign had ended before its time, the dream had consumed his thoughts. Not a day passed that he did not spend hours consulting with seers and advisers, finding ways to ward off the curse. As part of his schemes to counter the curse, he had offered his own name to his son. Samrat Pulumayi himself was so named after an earlier ancestor upon the advise of sooth sayers who foretold that it would defend him from misfortune. The same people had

The obsession had destroyed the emperor's ability to think, over time he had ceded more and more administrative duties to his subordinates. Mahamatya Ganesh Chandra was almost an equal to the emperor himself, there were even rumours that he was behind the emperor's infirmities. He had long since retired, but in his stead, his some Mahesh Chandra had assumed the post of Mahamatya. The son was twice as cunning as his father was, spinning webs of intrigues which spanned the entire realm and whose influence spread beyond the boundaries of Bharata over to her emissaries in foreign nations. The Samrat knew nothing of it, he like his father was being consumed by fear. Everywhere he looked he saw enemies, they lurked in the shadows, they built their ranks in the armies, they whispered their plots to one another behind closed rooms, they were everywhere and yet, nowhere. The Samrat could not tell friend from foe, his ineptitude was a boon for Mahamatya Mahesh Chandra.

The Samrat sat on the lion throne with a heavy brow, he was fearful of the future, but tried his best not to show it. The affairs of the day were about to begin, Mahamatya Mahesh Chandra had arrived with an attendant carrying several scrolls, it would be a long day in the royal court. “Pranam Samrat”, Mahesh Chandra bowed before the Samrat,
“Pranam Mahamatya”, the samrat replied, “I see quite many scrolls you bring, what business do we have today?”
“Oh most of these are messages from our emissaries in foreign lands. The Emissary of Roma, the Emissary of the Chin lands, the Governor of Persia, and a curious message from the explorer Ghatotkach who is journeying to lands East of Suvarnadweep.
“Is that all?”,the Samrat looked on with frustration, none of these were matters he held in high regard, foreign policy could hang for all he cared, he was more interested in domestic matters. “Is there no news from our homelands?”
“There is, much and more. The leaders of grain traders of Vanga, Sindhu and Takshashila have sent their emissary to treat with us, Arya Sri Gupta. However, he has yet to arrive.”
The Samrat sighed, “Very well then, we may begin with these messages.”

The Mahamatya instructed the attendant to keep the scrolls to the ground and hand him the first one of them. This was a message from the Emissary of Roma, “The Emissary of Roma writes to us of matters concerning the Eastern realms of Judea and Syria.

The region remains in turmoil. Bands of rebels have continued to hold control of the countryside outside Jerusalem and Syria while Armenian rebels have arisen from the mountains seeking to carve their own realm over the province of Syria. The rebellious hebrews of the province of Syria have at present revolted against Roman rule. The Empire finds itself in peril the likes of which it has never seen before. There is talk among Romans, rich and poor alike, that the entire Eastern realm of the empire might be ceded out, this has become a source of much contention between the Eastern Empire and the Western Empire. The Anatolians from their stronghold in Ankyra are said to be plotting to seize this opportunity to expand their reach across the Roman Orient. Only time will tell if these plans will succeed. Our traders, those with whom I have spoken in Roma, fear for the future of trade with the empire should the Eastern provinces secede, yet it seems only a matter of time till it does. The Roman Emperor is an able man and he controls one of the greatest armies in the world, but the multitude of problems that plague his reign make it hard to focus on every front.”

The Samrat gave a disapproving look hearing this story, “So? What am I to do about it?” he posed the question to the Mahamatya,
“Samrat, there is not much that can be done, save sending troops into the territory of Roma. However, this may be thought of as a great slight on the pride of that empire.”
“So what is your advise, Mahamatya?”
“My advice, O Samrat, is we do nothing. It is enough simply to know that Roma's Eastern provinces are troubled. We will yet find ways to trade with them, but through the seas.”
“Very well then! On to the next report.”
“Certainly Samrat”, Mahesh Chandra bowed before unfolding the next group of reports, this came from the explorers in the East.

“The explorer Arya Ghatotkatch writes from virgin lands South East of Suvarnadweep. He writes :

'Pranam Samrat, through the blessings of the Gods and your own infinite generosity, our journey to the East bears fruit. Not only have we made successful trade with the people's of the East, we have also made great discoveries. In our ship we have stored a veritable menagerie of exotic creatures, from apes with bulbous noses, giant lizards that spew fiery spit, a great red ape the likes of which no traveller from Bharata has ever witnessed. But all these pale in comparison to the greatest discovery of all, for we have been blessed to find the lost land of our Dravidan ancestors, we have found Kumari Kandam !

Do not think these words are mere fantasies O Samrat, this land truly does exist over several hundred Gaj from the Southern coast Suvarnadweep. Many of my crew driven by a zealous passion, have disembarked on the shores of this vast land and seek to restore their ancestor's civilization. I am now residing on the shores of the isle of Suvarnadweep, over the years that me and my father have explored these lands, I have made friends among the locals of this land, married among them and fathered children that are both Dravida and of Suvarnadweep, with this in mind I seek your permission to settle here and join others like me who have settled in this land.”

The Samrat sighed, “another sailor to the East runs away. It has been happening quite a lot these days.”
“Indeed Samrat. It has come to my knowledge that there may be over a dozen settler colonies by Indian sailors and traders, all along the Eastern lands.”
“Are these colonies threat to us?”, the Samrat asked sounding concerned,
“No.. Not at all Samrat. They encourage trade, and act as a bridge between us and the Chin Empire. However, should they become independent nations in their own right, we should adjust our approach accordingly.”
“In that case, I commission that regular naval patrols be conducted, a fleet should be built for that purpose!”
“Samrat.. such a move would take away much needed resources from the state, and we have been incurring deficits, spending from the Imperial reserves to fund your predecessor's agrarian reforms..”
“Hang the bloody reforms! In any case, all it has done is fatten the bellies of a few impudent lords”, no sooner than the Samrat had bellowed these words in anger, a messenger ran towards the Mahamatya announcing the arrival of Lord Sri Gupta, “Arya Mahesh Chandra!..” he said panting, “Samrat.. Lord Sri Gupta and his entourage has arrived, he is waiting at the palace gates”.
The Samrat's mood had instantly soured at the thought of it, he hated the prospect of meeting these Lords, but here they were, “Let them in!”, he commanded sounding annoyed.

A few moments later, Lord Sri Gupta entered the Throne room accompanied by nine other lords, each from the different regions of the realm. He walked proudly up to the Samrat, and greeted the monarch as was fit, “Pranam Samrat,” he said and bowed before the emperor, “May the heavens bestow their infinite blessings upon you”.
“Spare me the niceties Lord Gupta”, he spoke derisively, “you come here seeking more funds I reckon?”
Sri Gupta looked back at the Emperor with a humble expression and smile on his face, “we are but beggars living on the grace of your infinite wisdom O Samrat. You may know, that the Southern realms suffer from severe shortages of grain, and our stores are hard pressed to meet this demand. If you should refuse to lend us more money at this hour, it would result in riots, and riots may become rebellion.”
Samrat Pulumayi looked at Sri Gupta disapprovingly, he turned his gaze to the Mahamatya who stood smirking and looking through his messages, “Mahamatya Mahesh, is there any truth to what this man says?”
“Indeed Samrat, my own messengers have reported that in the last month alone, there were as many as a dozen riots for rice. Banditry is rife on the Dakshinapath between Avanti and Madurai. The situation is tense. Our garrison in the South has been keeping the peace for now, but it is only a matter of time before the violence spirals out of control and our garrison in the South would find their resources stretched.”

The Samrat looked angrily at the delegation, he did not wish to grant them any more concessions than they already had. Over twelve maunds of gold had been drained annually to compensate these Landed elites for their losses, when he spoke there was vitriol and contempt in his tone, “I grant you two thousand Kasharpan, not more. Mahamatya Mahesh, give the command to the treasury to disburse this amount forthwith. Does that conclude our business Lord Gupta? Or is there something more you seek?”. Usually, at this point, the Lords would raise more demands or debate the efficacy of the Emperor's concession, this time however, Lord Gupta simply smiled and bowed, “None further Samrat. We are grateful O Samrat.”
“Then begone!” The Samrat shouted out angrily.

As the Lords walked away, Mahamatya Mahesh went through his messages and approached the emperor, “Samrat Pulumayi, it is not wise to irk them so”.
“I have had enough of these greedy old merchants”.
“Maybe so Samrat, but it is unwise to express your disapproval so openly”, the Mahamatya cautioned,
“What will they do against me huh? I am the Samrat of the Empire of Magadh ! I would have had their heads on pikes if it weren't for you cautioning me against it!”
“And I will continue to caution you against it Samrat. It is better to contain their influence such as we have been doing.”
The Samrat leaned against the throne, he felt frustrated and mentally exhausted. He rubbed his brow and breathed in deeply, “You have counselled me well Mahamatya Mahesh Chandra, I trust on your judgement. Right now, I wish to take my minds off these matters. I shall take a stroll through the garden, if anyone should ask for me, let them know I will not entertain anyone today.”
“As you wish Samrat”, the mahamatya bowed and left the throne room.

The Samrat made his way to the palace gardens, in the months of Autumn the gardens seemed almost dull, a sea of green with hardly a flower in bloom. In the distance, he saw two children playing with a few courtiers, they were his two nephews, the children of Abhayanaga, the emperor's cousin through his relation with the house of Vijaya. Though the house of Vijaya had come to an early end with the death of Amandagamani Abhaya, the crisis of succession was resolved peacefully, and the throne of Lanka passed on to his cousin's line, the clan of Lambakanna. During Autumn, the family of the Lankan king conducted his annual journey to Magadh to be with their cousins in the North.

The Samrat loved their company, in particular he loved the company of his nephews. Playing with them and telling them tales of the past was his preferred escape from the rigours of the world. The children paused their game when they saw their uncle coming to them, young Sankara grinned and ran excitedly to his beloved uncle hugging him, “Uncle!” he exclaimed, the eight year old was the darling of the family, the sweetest of the children, and quite the contrast with his elder sibling Shravana, “Pranam Samrat”, he greeted touching Samrat Pulumayi at his feet as was proper. “Blessings Shravana, Sankara. So what are we doing today?”
“We were playing chausar.”, Sankara said pointing to the makeshift board that had been drawn with chalk on the floor, the courtiers stood as pieces of chausar, “but I'm bored with it, I'm not winning!”
“haha! There can only be one winner in Chausar, besides you are playing it wrong”, the Samrat explained, “Chausar needs four players at a time.”
“I explained it to him, uncle, but he was insistent in playing this game. He said he wanted to be like Amandagamani Abhaya and fight the battle for Magadh.”
“Tell us the story again uncle ! Tell it!” Sankara asked eagerly,
“hehe if you ask let us sit children”.

The Samrat sat with his nephews on either side, on a garden bench. He began telling the children of the story, as best as he knew it, and as it was told to him by his mother, and to her by his grandfather before him. He regaled them with the stories of righteous Minister Vijayanand, the cunning and traitorous Mahamatya Kartikeya, the honourable Amatya Brahmagupt, the strategem of Amandagamani Abhaya, and the noble actions of the Immortal Mrityunjaya. He liked telling these tales as much as the children enjoyed listening to them, for those brief moments he felt truly connected with that gilded age of the Satavahana Dynasty, that age when Magadh was ruled by men of valor and virtue, a great empire rescued from the precipice, it gave him hope that perhaps the same may happen yet again, and every time that the empire finds itself in peril, for good men would always be there to save the future of Bharata. While the Samrat spent his afternoon regaling the children with stories of past exploits, his ministers spun webs of intrigues in the corridors of his own palace.

In the treasury chamber of the Palace, the Mahamatya met with his accountants. Beside the royal treasury that housed the gold reserves of the empire, was an inconspicuous empty chamber whose original purpose has been forgotten to time. Here the Mahamatya met with three mysterious figures, cloaked in shawls. “Greetings Lord Gupta, Lord Bharghava, Lord Rajanan”, he greeted the three lords of Vanga, Avanti and Dravida Nadu. They pulled down their cloaks to speak with the Mahamatya, “I trust the arrangements are ready ?”, Lord Sri Gupta asked,
“They are Arya Gupta. As agreed, we strike tonight.”
“At the tenth hour of the night. I trust you to shift the guards at the opportune moment.”
“All will be done as requested Lord Gupta”.
“What of the immortal, Amatya Mrityunjay? We have yet failed to win him over to our plans”, Lord Rajanan said,
“Do not worry about him. When evening falls he will be journeying to the Avantinagar with the gold the Samrat has committed. He will not trouble us tonight”.
“Good. Your work is most commendable Mahamatya”, Lord Gupta remarked, “remind me to reward you when the deed is done.”
“heheh! Arya Sri Gupta, I should not have to remind you”, the Mahamatya said with a sly voice.

Later in the night..

In the tenth hour of the night everyone in the palace had fallen asleep for the night, all except the guards. The samrat rested in his bedchamber after tucking in his two nephews in their bed, he told them yet another story of their great ancestor, Amandagamani Abhaya. The children slept with dreams of grandeur and glories of days past, little did they know of the nefarious plans that had been set afoot in the palace.

The Samrat had left three guards to guard his bedchamber entrances. In the destined hour, a bell rang in the distance. It was an odd sound that broke the chilly silence of the night, it had awoken the Samrat and aroused his curiosity, “What is that sound? A bell? At this hour?”, he asked himself as he got off his bed. He began to wonder what possible reasons there could be behind the ringing of the bell, “Are we being attacked?.. or is there some calamity?”, he started to become anxious. He quickly dressed himself in his royal attire and opened the door of his bedchamber, there he found the guards standing before him, spear in hand, the guards stopped the Samrat from walking out of the room, “What do you think you people are doing? Step aside and let me move!”, the Samrat ordered, the guards smirked and one of them chuckled.

The bell had just stopped ringing, yet again the night was silent, the guards slowly walked in towards the Samrat. “Have you gone mad! I am the Samrat of the Empire of Magadh! Move away.. I will have you punished for this!”, he screamed, but the guards wouldn't listen, they silently marched ahead, one among them closed the door of the bedchamber behind him and locked it in. There was no escape for the Samrat now, he stumbled and fell to the floor. “No... you cannot do this! You cannot!” he screamed in despair, “By kali I swear I will have you burnt alive! I...”, before the Samrat could finish his sentence, one of the guards thrust his spear into the hapless king's throat. The first stab was followed by a series of stabs, in all the guards stabbed Samrat Pulumayi thirty times rendering him a bloody mess. Once they were certain that the emperor had died, they walked out of the bedchamber closing the door as they left. The guards moved to their next target, the unguarded chambers of the queen and the chamber of his Emperor's cousins.

The guards moved swiftly through the corridors of the palace, they met with other palace guards, they too had been bought by Sri Gupta and Mahamatya Mahesh Chandra. They swiftly reached the Eastern chambers of the palace complex, their next targets would be in the chambers here. The guard here was not party to their nefarious scheme, when he saw the murderous trio with their bloodied spears coming to him, he stopped them. “Halt! Why do you come here? Why are your spears bloodied?”
“Step aside you stupid old man!” one of the enemy guards said,
“No I will not! I have a duty to protect these guests and I won't move!”
“Step aside or we'll kill you!”, the other guard shouted,
“Not if I kill you first!”, the old guard pointed his spear at the murderers, it made the guards chuckle.

One of the trio approached the old guard with spear in hand, ready to respond to his challenge. With only three moves the old guard killed the murderer, thrusting his spear into his heart. The sight had shocked the trio, now both of them approached the guard, far more cautiously. Meanwhile within the bedchambers, the two children had woken up, the commotion at their door had disturbed their sleep. Sankara walked up to the door to see what was happening, when he saw his mouth opened wide in surprise, the old guard heavily injured was fighting off not one not two but three other guards, despite his old age he had held them with his superior skill. He was momentarily distracted noticing the door open behind him, “Kumar Sankara run away! Go! Go out the window!”, he said still fighting the would be assassins. Sankara stood blankly for a moment, before realizing what was happening, he dashed to his brother waking him up, “brother! Brother! We must flee ! We must flee at once!” he shouted shoving him and waking him up. Rajanan woke up feeling groggy, he too saw the scene at their bedroom entrance, the old guard was on his last step, he had managed to kill one of his three adversaries, but his guard was lowered and that allowed the assassins to thrust their spears through him.

The boys hurriedly made their way to the window, Rajanan helped push Sankara through the window, it was easier to do so given Sankara was the younger of the two brothers. Rajanan climbed through the window next, but before he could get off on the balcony, one of the assassin guards grabbed him by the neck and pulled him back in, “Brother!” Sankara screamed in despair, “Leave me Sankara ! Go save yourself!” the elder brother screamed to his younger brother, before being put to an end by the spear of the assassin. Sankara watched in horror as the assassins thrust their spears through his brother, but he knew he could not stand around, he ran, as fast as his legs could take him. As he ran, he could hear another wail in the winds, it was a woman's voice pleading for mercy before crying out in pain, Sankara looked up as he climbed down the ladder to the lower levels, he knew who the assassins had taken now, “Ma...”, he whispered in horror. Tears began to well in his eyes, he was about to break down, but he would not, he would save himself. He ran towards the main gate, it wasn't easy to navigate through the night, but he managed to do the best he could relying on his memory of the palace.

He went East, as far as he could, he knew the Eastern gates led out to the river, perhaps he could escape by boat to somewhere safe? He simply kept running as far and fast as he could, and as far away from the palace as he could, just then he had a thought, “Samrat Pulumayi.. maybe he is still alive!”, he changed course and ran towards the palace garden and to the royal chambers. There were guards everywhere, and he presumed they were all searching for him. He could hear them shouting, “Look for Rajanan!”, he had to be careful if he was going to make it. He had managed to sneak in to the garden, luckily this area did not have as many guards patrolling. He made a dash through the garden onwards to the Emperor's chamber, being swift and avoiding any possible patrols that would come his way. He walked up to the Emperor's chamber and opened the door, only to find the Samrat had been murdered, there lay his body beside his bed, in a pool of blood. He gulped and stood frozen, his hands started to shake, he had heard stories of intrigues bloodshed and royal assassinations, his childlike naivete made them out to be great stories of adventures, but here was the reality of it, laid bare and raw before him.

As he walked out of the bedroom, he heard a shout, a guard had spotted him, “There there he is! Get him!”, the guard shouted, Sankara was alerted to his presence, he ran again, this time towards the garden, but he could see a dozen or more guards rushing in through the main entrances. His path was cut off by one of them, another came up behind the boy, he knew he was cornered now, he stood at the steps trying to find a way out, but there was none. He whimpered and fell down, as one of the guards moved towards him spear in hand, he gave a smile before thrusting it into his head. Thus ended, the line of the Satavahana.

Wait what? Somehow I lost the post that the story was dead, and then a new chapter is here! Glad to see you here Adhiraj! I will read this tomorrow as I'm already going to sleep.

WAIT WHAT?!

Alright, time to reread this thing, then...

Good luck Raj

Top Bottom