A Tryst with Destiny

I hope that is not interpreted as me begging/bargaining for power, as the only thing I did was to give my advice and that's all.

Btw, VGL's profile can't be accessed and now I see DKVM without a picture and with no posts? What's happening with CFC?

I still didn't read the last updates, I didn't have the time.

EDIT, now Caterpillar is also missing in the threads, but not in the group?! :crazyeye:, what's happening here? Is it this new civ messing the stuff?

I hope that is not interpreted as me begging/bargaining for power, as the only thing I did was to give my advice and that's all.

Btw, VGL's profile can't be accessed and now I see DKVM without a picture and with no posts? What's happening with CFC?

I still didn't read the last updates, I didn't have the time.

EDIT, now Caterpillar is also missing in the threads, but not in the group?! :crazyeye:, what's happening here? Is it this new civ messing the stuff?

From what I've seen from the mods, it appears to be an interface problem and it's mostly coincidental with the skin change.

From what I've seen from the mods, it appears to be an interface problem and it's mostly coincidental with the skin change.

Hopefully that's the only problem. I really don't want to earn all of those posts back.

Subbed, I am CaterpillarKing

I checked a thread where this was discussed, the site is having some problems with people who've signed in 8 or so months back. New users are becoming "guests" for some strange reason. The Admin hasn't figured it out yet why this is happening.

That's terrible, I hope they may fix this asap.

Maybe it's a problem with dates, a date might has gone wrong, and could be set to before the time they entered, thus nullifying their accounts for being created on an invalid date. My mom's pc couldn't make updates because suddenly it went back to 2003.

Pandunath had known only three things in his life, his farm, his family and his caste, beyond this he cared little or knew little of the world beyond his meagre holding. But life is a cruel teacher and he would learn that his farm, his family and his caste were not merely his concern.

Pandunath was a peasant who lived off a farm East of Pataliputra. Most of the village were hard working peasants or workers, most were shudras and vaishyas by caste. When the war of lion came, he saw his brother taken away from him to fight an alien enemy in a far away land. After the war, came the taxes.

The village was not known for its prosperity, but the merchants of Pataliputra were always ready to pay a fair price for grain, the guild masters were always ready to give work to the workers, and artisans could sell their produce, that was before the war. The war needed additional funds, the disruption of trade burdened the treasury, and it was the poor hard working men of Bharata who would have to pay.

The tax collectors were vicious, but more vicious than them were the usurers. Those who lent with interest rates of a hundred or two hundred percent. The war made them raise loans of a thousand percent and Pandunath was one of their victims. To pay the tax of the state, he took money from the usurers, then to pay the usurer he had nothing but his land.

Walking by the charred remains of what was once his hut, Pandunath recollected the day the usurer came with his goons. "Please I beg you sire, don't take away our home, it is all we have. Please show mercy" his wife begged on the usurer's feet, as his child cried
"You took money, you could not pay, so I take your land. That is the deal, even you lot can understand that."
"Please, I can get you the money. Just give me a little more time.." Pandunath pleaded
"I gave you enough time ! You think you're the only one that doesn't have money ? You don't have money , I don't have money, the whole of Bharatvarsh is poorer. I gave you enough time, you didn't pay now I want my land!"
"Please, have mercy, I have a child."
"Enough talk! If you won't give your land peacefully I will take it with my men."
"I cannot let you do this."
"I'd like to see you try and stop me." Said the usurer with a smile.

His dozen armed men proceeded with sticks to evict Pandunath and his family from their home. Pandunath responded with closing the door of his hut. "Ugh! You are making this difficult Pandunath! Come out peacefully and this will end well for all of us." the usurer screamed.

"I won't give my land and see my family starve!"

The wife was wailing, the infant child cowered in her bosom and cried out loud. Pandunath would rather not remember that day, but it stayed with him like an ugly scar.

When it became clear that Pandunath would not leave meekly, the usurer ordered his men to burn down the hut. The men threw torches at the frail thatch hut and he saw fire engulf his home, burning down his shelter. "Lock them in. Let this village see what I do to deadbeats!"

He survived, but his family did not. The fires suffocated his infant child and his wife soon died of an illness brought on her by her grief. Pandunath then wondered from place to place surviving on animals and bushes as he contemplated his losses. In his mind, he contemplated vengeance.

Later on he would kill the usurer who took his land, but that did not satisfy Pandunath. He went to a mahant at the Mahabodhi sangh in Pataliputra "Bhante, why am I not satisfied ?" he asked
"Pandunath, you are dissatisfied, because you sought vengeance. You killed the man who was responsible for the death of your child and your wife. But did that bring them back?"
"No.. it did not."
"Yet the fire that has been lit in you won't subside."
"No it won't Bhante… what must I do ?"
"You must channelize your fire Pandunath, your rage, your anger, will remain like a curse in you, till you purge it out. For the injustice that was brought upon you, you must answer with justice."
"But how will I do this.."

Pandunath would find this answer in the fire of rebellion. The gathering had no less than three thousand, they were peasants workers and artisans, there were men and women. All of them were armed with pitchforks and torches or clubs. They were all poor and nothing to lose, except their misery. All of them were gathered to hear the words of the man named Krantiguru, the man who promised them freedom. He spoke :

"Many centuries ago, on this soil of Magadh, there arose a rebellion, a blessed war cry which inspired thousands to self-sacrificing valor. This was the rebellion of the oppressed against a wicked and cruel king of Magadh. Their war cry was Justice, vengeance, fire and blood!

It is today as it was then, that another cruel king sits over Magadh, who has deprived you of your land, destroyed your lives, and brought you misery. You who till the land, whose labor has built wonders over Bharata, you without whom the very life of Bharata would end. Samrat Pulovami is guilty before you all, guilty of failing you, him and his dynasty.

We who work for all and feed all, deserve our place in this world no less than the brahmins and the Kshatriya. What has the nobility done but gorge on the fruits of our sacrifice ? How many here have a brother or a father or a husband or a friend, who was not taken to the wastelands of the West to fight for nothing but this emperor's pride ? Why then are our lives valued less ? No more !

We will rebel ! We will raid the palace treasury, we will raid the houses of usurers and we will raid their granaries and take their ill gotten wealth. We will take it and share it among the poor to our brethren.

The martyrs of the first enlightened rebellion have cast their blessing on us, let us honor their spirit by invoking their call "Nyay, Pratishodh, Rakt aur Agni!"

"Nyay Pratishodh, Rakt aur Agni!'
"Nyay Pratishodh, Rakt aur Agni!"

'This is it.. ' Pandunath thought, 'Now it will end.'

Spoiler :

Queen Nayanika feared her husband's wrath much more than the rebels themselves. The peace that had transformed Samrat Pulovami into a human being had been ended, now she feared the monster would return. She stayed hidden in her quarters, but did not have her son to comfort. "May the gods be kind to us.." she prayed.

The rebels seemed to have appeared from nowhere and stormed through the Northern gate and spread out Southwards to the palace. As they marched the rebels incited the city's poor, and the rebel leader who called himself "the Krantiguru" sought the blessings of the mahant at the Mahabodhi Sangh.

Nayanika saw the rage in the eyes of Samrat Pulovami when he heard the report.

"How dare they ! These peasants, these .. these pests ! These vermin!"
"And that incompetent commander of the garrison ! I will have him flayed!"
"Call the Senapati, I will teach these shudras a lesson they won't forget for a hundred years."
He looked at his son and smiled his sly smile, "This will be your first true lesson in war son. Come!"
"No samrat please don't take Hãla. I don't want him in danger." Nayanika hugged her boy and pleaded before the emperor
"He is coming with me that is his duty and it is my order!" Pulovami snatched Hala from his mother's arms
"Don't worry for me mother,.."

Nayanika had seen the rage in Pulovami's eyes before, it was a memory she tried hard to forget but now it came back to her. The women of the household took refuge in the palace while the samrat prepared to take charge of the situation. Prince Hãla went with his father.

"Oh Mother durga protect my son.." Nayanika prayed

The garrison of Pataliputra was concentrated around the Southern and Western walls leaving no more than five hundred on the Eastern and Northern wall. Only a hundred of them defended the North, and they had been overwhelmed. The city guards were ill equipped to handle the tumult in the North. The samrat had lost two fifths of the city.

The garrison was concentrated in defending the South side of the city, but this was no ordinary battle. The city's defenses had been planned and designed to repel invaders from the outside, but this was an enemy that came from within. The soldiers at Pataliputra had to fight from door to door, house to house against an enemy that was unidentifiable.

The Samrat summoned his ministers in the war room and planned out their strategy to deal with the rebels.
"The rebels are heading Southwards samrat, I believe they intend to take the palace." Senapati Virappalli spoke,
"They are aiming for our treasury, but it may not be the palace alone that they want." Amatya Aditya pointed to the map showing the South side of the city,
"This is the most prosperous region of the city, the wealthy of Magadh reside here. Samrat, I believe they would attack these houses first."
"What kind of forces do they have ?"
"They are lightly armed Samrat, but it has been reported that a few of them wield iron weapons and wield it with mastery of a skilled swordsman. Krantiguru himself is among them."
"Seal off the South side of the city. Concentrate our forces to defend the palace and the areas around it. Take as many men as you need. Fight ruthlessly and spare no one." Those was the Samrat's final orders.

Four and a half thousand of Magadh's remaining garrison of archers concentrated on the South side of the city. The palace guards were doubled, there were soldiers everywhere, in the gardens, in gates, at the hall, and a hundred defending the emperor's harem.

"Soldiers are everywhere… The palace has never been like this.."
"These rebels will never succeed."
"Never has any enemy of Pataliputra come this close to the palace grounds!… I'm afraid Shubhde."
Queen Nayanika sat mute staring across the window overlooking the palace grounds, praying and hoping for her son's well being and for the well being of the city. 'I pity these rebels..' she said to herself, Pulovami would react cruelly she knew.
"Ha! You fear too much Lakshmi, if anyone must be afraid, it is the rebels, and their so-called leader krantiguru. I know what the samrat will do once he is angered, and these men have aroused his demon."
Nayanika broke her silence, "I wished they hadn't.."
"What do you mean to say Nayanika?"
Nayanika rose up, "This rebellion is no one else's fault but the emperor's own. The burden of his ambitions had to be paid by the blood of the toiler. He never cared for them, never cared to listen to their concerns, never heard their cries. Now they have taken arms and the emperor will unleash his demons. If he means to stoke anger and slaughter Pataliputra, then he will do so, but Bharata will bleed and when this rebellion ends, another will take its place, and then another. Has this soil not seen enough bloodshed that it must see more ?.."
"Nayanika.. do you actually feel for these rebels?" asked Shubhde.
Nayanika was silent for a moment and looked at the stub that was once her little finger on her right hand. She shed a tear before answering, "Samrat Pulovami will win this battle, either through cruelty or treachery, that the rebels will lose I am certain. But what after ? Samrat Pulovami will become the feared one, I would lose the man he became after Hala.."

There was a strange silence in the room, Lakshmi turned away and scorned, but Shubhde rose and walked to her and embraced her. A moment later, they heard an explosion from the North. Nayanika's heart stopped beating for that one terrifying moment, "What was that!…"

Fire was billowing from the North, a thick cloud of smoke visible only for the immense fire that accompanied it. "We need more men.. send them to the gates!" yelled a guardsman, and dozens of soldiers ran over to the Northern gate of the Palace compound.

"This is the end.." Lakshmi whimpered,
"Be brave Lakshmi."

Fear gripped the three queens. They prayed together and prayed more sincerely than they ever did in their lives.

The soldiers of the Pataliputra garrison fought with waves after waves of rebels, but bows and arrows were useless in melee. The rebels climbed over rooftops and came through alleyways. It was estimated that the rebel army would number not more than three thousand, but it seemed like all of Pataliputra's hundred thousand inhabitants were joining in this rebellion. Every house and every math seemed to spawn new armed rebels. Some armed with nothing more than rocks and bricks. The situation was not improving.

"Burn the houses ! If the whole of Pataliputra will rebel, then we burn down Pataliputra !" Pulovami shouted out,

The vicious melee battles on the streets of Pataliputra continued unabated, and it seemed like neither the rebels nor the army was winning. The inner walls of the palace gave enough advantage for the archers to fire volleys after volleys against the enemy, but many of Pataliputra's own soldiers were caught in the hail of arrows.

Four hours later it seemed like the rebels were losing steam, but more and more citizens came flooding in. However, the South side of the city had been secured, and the garrison of Pataliputra was now on the offensive. "Flush them out like rats" the Samrat had said, and the soldiers did as they were told. They lit fire to the market area and all areas near the Mahabodhi Sangh. Pataliputra burned, the fires raged on for the rest of the night and into the wee hours of the morning.

The remainder of the rebels had fled the city and camped outside, but the cost of the repression was huge. A third of the city was permanently destroyed, and the outer section of the Mahabodhi burned to the ground. Many maths were destroyed by the cruel action of the Samrat, but the rebellion did not end.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The rebellion of Pataliputra would go on for another year. While the insurrection within Pataliputra was a failure, the rebellion and the ideals it espoused continued to live on.

Krantiguru had fled after the defeat at Pataliputra and went to organize rebellions in other towns and cities of the empire. News of the rebellion was spreading throughout the realm and protests were breaking out in Takshashila and Indraprasth expressing their solidarity with the rebels of Magadh.

After the insurrection at Pataliputra, Samrat Pulovami ordered an investigation into the Mahants of the Mahabodhi, those who were complicit in aiding the rebels would be given the severest of punishments, and Pulovami intended for this to be a public spectacle.

"Samrat, I would advise you against this."
"Oh ? And why is that Amatya Chakravarty?" The emperor asked derisively,
"The rebellion, will only feed on it and grow in strength. The mahants are holy men, they have respect among the people of the realm. Any harm on them, and it won't just be Pataliputra that will erupt."
"These men challenged me, they threatened the safety of my own family! And you ask that I show clemency?"
"Amatya Chakravarty is right Samrat, Pataliputra is also near ruined and we must not punish this city any further." Amatya Aditya said,
"You too? Does everyone here feel the same?"
"Many brahmans were killed in the rebellion samrat. Three maths and two gurukuls were burnt to the ground by the rebels. But if we massacre the Mahants at the Mahabodhi sangh, all chance for peace would be ruined and the city would never re-emerge. We must be cautious and exercise clemency."
"So Amatya Aditya, Brahmagupt and Chakravarty believe in showing clemency.. and you ? Senapati ? Amatya Nayanjyot ? "
The ministers said in unison, "We agree."

Samrat Pulovami looked at them with scorn, "You are all weak ! I shall not go down in history as a samrat who did not have the spine to use the rod to discipline his subjects. My word is law, and none of what any of you.."
"Forgive me father, but I must agree with our ministers."
Pulovami turned to his son in a stunned look, "What … You too?"
"This is the city of Pataliputra, the great capital of the land of Magadh, and by the blessings of providence has become the crown upon Bharatvarsha. What picture will we give to the world if this city and this province stand in ruin ? No father, we must show clemency. This is the land of the Buddha, and these are his disciples. His followers come to the Mahabodhi from all across the world. It is not weakness to see wisdom in the words of our learned ministers. We must be cautious."

Hãla had once soothed his father's demons with his tender touch, and now had done so once again with words of wisdom far beyond his age.

Amatya Chakravarty was most pleased by the Prince's answer "The Prince is wise beyond his years Samrat. He speaks the truth."
"Much of our finance comes from the land of Magadh and from Pataliputra. The revenues we gain from foreign pilgrims have aided much to our finances. It would be unwise to cast it away." Amatya Nayanjyot added.

"Very well then ! We shall spare the Mahants. Senapati, focus your efforts at bringing order to the countryside and free the roadways and waterways leading West, bring extra troops from Kashi. We must first deal with this rebel leader who calls himself Krantiguru. I will announce a bounty on him."

"But no one knows what he looks like. He is always cloaked and changes his appearance. Some even say he is a woman!"
"Pay no heed to rumors Amatya Aditya, if the man is there he must be found. The day we get this Krantiguru I suspect will be the day this rebellion will finally end."

The Mahabodhi was spared, but the countryside was not. Every rebel village was put to the torch, Senapati Virappalli despised his work more than ever, but it was a duty he owed to his lord. He had hoped he would not have to ask these uncomfortable questions, that the sands of the Parad kingdom would bury his doubts with it. Indeed fifteen years of peace had made him forget the most unsavory chapter of his life, but the ghosts which lay buried have come back to haunt him now.

'I did not become a soldier to terrorize my own people… how much more would fate test my resolve…' he said to himself whilst ordering an assault on a rebel village.

Several bloody skirmishes were fought in the countryside before the region could finally be pacified, but Krantiguru was still at large. Reports spoke of him making his way through Kashi journeying to Indraprasth. Pulovami now used his guptachr (spies) to hunt down Magadh's most wanted man.

Krantiguru was ultimately discovered in an inn at Varanasi. It was a young man in his thirties, who was revealed to be a scholar from Indraprasth. He had witnessed the misery and poverty of the masses of Bharata and donned the identity of Krantiguru with the intention of overthrowing the ruling dynasty.

Pulovami sentenced him to death by boiling. Rebel prisoners and their families and friends were brought to the central square of Pataliputra to watch the spectacle of their hero being brutally executed. As expected, the rebellion came to an end with the death of Krantiguru and Pulovami returned to his ways.

That night Samrat Pulovami brutalized Nayanika in a fit of rage. That would be the last time he would hurt her.

That would be the last time, he would hurt the her.
What do you mean "He would hurt the her?" I don't understand that sentence.

That night Samrat Pulovami brutalized Nayanika in a fit of rage. That would be the last time, he would hurt the her.

I can tell that son of a biscuit has it coming to him.

It's a cliffhanger. You're not supposed to understand it.

I was asking if that was grammatically correct or if he forgot a word. I wasn't sure if he actually meant "last time he would hurt her."

Oh, yeah that's a mistake :p It's okay though :D

The rebellion of the peasants of Magadh had brought Pataliputra to ruin and drained the treasury. Through a combination of conciliation and coercion, the samrat was able to bring order to the realm, but at great cost.

Hundreds of thousands had been killed in the course of the rebellion and the skirmishes thereafter. Small revolts had broken out in different parts of the empire, for which the Army of Magadh stationed in Sindh was mobilized.

After the rebellion, violent orthodox hindu sects rose in revolt at Kashi and begun their massacres of Buddhists throughout the realm. Samrat Pulovami answered these revolts with force, but every time that a king wields force, he only weakens his rule. At the end, it was conciliation that brought peace to the realm.

"I will not kill innocents anymore !" Senapati Virappalli shouted out, at the council of ministers. "I have sullied my honor and my position, no more ! I will not stand for this, and neither will my men."
"You will do as you are told Virappalli, I am the samrat and this is my order!"
"Do whatever you will! I will not serve a tyrant like you."
Then Prince Hãla rose up, "Senapati, father, please, calm yourselves. I believe there is a way out of this, one which will not require a single drop of blood to be shed."
"I have worked out a strategy with Amatya Nayanjyot , Adiya and Brahmagupt, which I ask Amatya Aditya to present before you."

Samrat Pulovami was not one to tolerate being interrupted, but on rare occasions he would reign in on his anger and listen to sound advise. This exception would be made for any point of advise Amatya Aditya and his son Hãla would have to give.
"Amatya Aditya, tell us of the plan" the Prince called out,
The Amatya spoke, "If we continue to repress the rebellions, we will get a few immediate weeks of peace, perhaps even months of peace, but that is no lasting solution. This was time that a rebellion came as close as it did to dethroning a reigning samrat. This lesson would not go unnoticed by others, if we keep pushing this way, sooner or later there would be rebellions elsewhere in the empire. We cannot risk another conflagration, especially not now when our troops are demoralized and our finances in crisis.
Instead, I propose we hear what the rebels want and find a middle path to placate them and bring peace. As an immediate step, I propose that so much of the treasury be earmarked for reconstruction of demolished housing for the poor of Pataliputra and all those who have lost from the rebellion be compensated for."
"Much of the treasury had to be spent for quelling the rebellion, do we have money for reconstruction?" Asked Amatya Mukteshwar II,
Amatya Nayanjyot answered, "Indeed our treasury is greatly depleted because of the rebellion, but if we do not accept such a scheme to bring peace, it would come under ever greater strain. I have personally gone through the accounts and ascertained the cost of reconstruction at eleven mounds of gold. Our treasury can handle this payment. Subsequent reconstruction would require a reduction of state expenses on scientific research to one third of revenue.

The other ministers in the room thought over the proposals, weighing the pros and cons of the proposals. Samrat Pulovami steepled his fingers and stared at Amatya Aditya and then his gaze went to Prince Hãla. There was an air of tension in the great hall as every minister anticipated the emperor's decision. Samrat Pulovami looked at Hãla and spoke, "You know, men say many good things of my father Vedistri. Just as many of those men considered him weak and ineffectual. When our messenger from Persia was returned as a bag of bones, my father just sat and stared. There were letters from the frontier describing the atrocities that the tyrant Phraates had subjugated the people of Parada to, yet my father did nothing. The empire was at peace, and he wanted it to remain that way. I did not share his views then. The language of fear and power speak louder than love, I always believed in that, and when I had to chose between being feared and being loved, I would chose the former." Samrat Pulovami then turned his gaze on the ministers before him, "But I will make an exception for this. There is reason in your words Amatya Aditya, I cannot deny it. We cannot forsake our tomorrow for today, so I will concede to your plans for reconstruction."

A compensation equivalent to eleven mounds of gold was paid to the families of those who died in the course of the rebellion and of those who lost their homes and businesses. Prince Hãla spearheaded the efforts at conciliation along with Amatya Nayanjyot and Amatya Chakravarty. The latter had become the prince's favorite minister.

In time the wounds of war healed and the last of the revolts petered out. The realm was once more at peace, and Magadh prepared for the celebrations of the Prince's coming of age.

Samrat Pulovami had planned a grand celebration, where all of Magadh would come and rejoice. "It would be such that all tragedies of the past ten years shall be forgotten" Pulovami said. The feast was an expensive affair, Prince Hãla did not like the idea of it, but seeing his father content made him concede. The rebellion was heavy on him, and the feast would offer him respite.

The rituals of the coming of age ceremony required the prince to perform several religious duties culminating in freeing a fish into the sacred Ganga river. Once done, the prince would be regarded as twice born.

After the rituals ended, the festivities began. The day's festivities involved performances by dramatists and musical performances by best musicians of Bharata. The day passed in merriment, but Queen Nayanika was not seen. She had chosen not to attend the feast, strangely enough, that did not seem to bother Samrat Pulovami.

Queen Nayanika, sat by the window in her room, and saw the merriment down below. She then saw the stub of her finger and remembered the pain, "Never again" she said to herself. A knock at the door distracted her from her thoughts, Amatya Chakravarty entered. The queen was thrilled with joy at the sight of Amatya Chakravarty, she walked up to him and embraced him and the two shared a lustful kiss.
"I have waited for long to be in your embrace Nayanika…"
"As have I Sridhar", Nayanika would always address him by his first name,
"Our son will grow to be a strong man. He will make a good Samrat, better than Pulovami."
"hush my love, the world must never know."
Nayanika paused for a moment standing beside the window, "Are you sure you want to go ahead with this Sridhar.. Pulovami has been cruel to me, but Hãla loves him and he loves Hãla. I do not want to burden him.."
"The deed must be done Nayanika. Pulovami is a monster, and the longer he lives he will be a curse upon this land. Have you forgotten ?"
Nayanika felt enraged at that, "How dare you say that I have forgotten !" She felt the stub of her missing finger, "Every day… and every night I am reminded of him.."
Amatya Chakravarty felt her cheeks with his hand, and felt the scars that Pulovami had made on them in his fits of rage. "Never again will he hurt you my love."
"I fear for you Sridhar…"
"Don't be afraid. Today is the day I shall free you, and the next day, we shall see our son on the throne of Magadh."

Nayanika moved to her bedside table. In a drawer she had hidden a vial containing a poison in the form of dust. She gave it to Amatya Chakravarty, "Be discreet, and be careful." she said before they kissed and parted ways.

The emperor's feast would begin after sunset at the Palace grounds of Pataliputra. Samrat Pulovami was known to make his feasts grand and the food up to mark. The food that night was simply delicious. Everyone was merrily feasting at the state dinner, but Amatya Chakravarty was tense. He was about to commit regicide, and it was not a petty crime. Yet he could not forget nor forgive the emperor for the humiliation he suffered, nor for the pain he caused Nayanika. He would take his revenge or die trying, he had no regrets.

The vial was hidden in a band on his right wrist, when the opportunity came, he would poison the king's drink. Amatya Chakravarty was careful in positioning himself just right so he may discreetly administer the poison to the king.

The samrat and the prince were enjoying a dance performance as he sat on the throne and drank. When his first drink was finished he asked for another cup, 'this was it!' the amatya thought, 'now is my moment'. Before the drink could reach the emperor, Amatya Chakravarty had administered the poison dust into the water just a drop of it, and any man would choke to death.

Samrat Pulovami drank from the water, not noticing any difference in taste. Then, his hands started to twitch. It was an irritating sensation, but it was no cause for alarm. A while later, the emperor felt pain in his chest and itching in his throat. He started coughing violently, and then vomitted. The emperor fell from the throne and on his knees.

"Call the Rajvaid, immediately!" Prince Hãla shouted out, Queen Nayanika and Prince Hala came forth and held the fallen emperor by his arms. His mouth was frothing, and blood streamed out of his nose and eyes. With his last strength, the emperor looked at Hãla and Nayanika and said, "p p p… poison.". When the Rajvaid had arrived, the emperor had already died and it was known to the world, that he was poisoned.

Samrat Hãla sat the throne of Magadh at the tender age of thirteen. Barely having attained boyhood, he would now be tasked to administer one of three great empires of the world. His reign had begun with the tragedy of losing his father.

Samrat Hãla cried the whole day when his father's funeral was to be arranged, the greatest tragedy perhaps was that he would never know his true father, nor would he know that it was he who killed the Samrat. His favorite minister, Amatya Sridhar Chakravarty.

The Samrat had only his mother to look to now, whilst Amatya Chakravarty would be his guide and mentor. The fires of Pulovami's funeral pyre burned with an unusual ferocity, as if some fiery demon was burning with anger. Hãla looked at it and thought, 'my childhood has burnt with these fires'.

The days of mourning were the hardest, for the tasks of the ruler were still before the boy king. He had proven himself a prodigal ruler, but much of his intelligence owed to the strength he derived from having a father figure in Pulovami. Without him, the Prince felt empty, yet by right of succession as well as appointment, he was the emperor of Bharata, and he would have to perform his duties accordingly.

With the end of the rebellion of the peasants at Magadh, there were no further pressing domestic issues to focus on. The questions that were brought before the emperor were those from lands far away, in particular the east.

"Samrat, these are the reports of Captain Kartikeya who has led the explorations in the lands of the far East." Amatya Chakravarty brought a set of logs for the emperor,
"Keep them in my chamber I shall look at it later."
Hãla looked morose and Amatya Chakravarty felt sad seeing him this way.
"If you say so Samrat."
"Have you read through them Amatya?"
"yes indeed I have Samrat."
"Anything worth seeing?"
Amatya Chakravarty smiled, "Indeed it is Samrat."
"I shall look into it later."

The Amatya bowed and left the throne room. Amatya Chakravarty felt remorse and almost guilty, he began blaming himself for the sorrow that was inflicted on his son, but just as soon as feelings of guilt arose, he remembered Nayanika and the tortures she endured, and of that fateful slap. 'No.. I have no regrets.' he thought to himself.

Samrat Hãla went to his chambers where he contemplated on official duties. Before him were the correspondences of Captain Kartikeya who had reportedly journeyed the entire coastline of the lands of Chin.

Samrat Pulovami ki Jai

Today we have charted the areas North of the lands of Chin, west of the nation of Goguryeo. Along the way, we have passed through two metropolises. In the South is the city of Fuzhou which is thus far the smallest of the great cities of Chin that we have seen, and in the North lay the city of Shanghai.

At the city of Fuzhou we learnt of lands existing farther North and of a tribe of people who live to the North East of the landmass of Chin. There is talk here of a mysterious island to the far East surrounded by divine winds which forbid any man to cross into that island. Little or none is known of that island beyond wondrous tales of its mythical beauty. Fuzhou was an unimpressive city neither prosperous nor orderly. The corruption of its local governor is joked of quite often. While there we witnessed no major civic works nor a well developed infrastructure though the region seemed very productive for the rock quarries which lie to the West of the city and for the cultivation of sugar on a small scale. Unlike other cities in Chin, Fuzhou's citizens were largely Buddhist, this aided us in relating to the people of the city.

We departed from Fuzhou in search of the lands farther North for which I took the assistance of a Chinese fishing fleet. Farther North, we docked at the large city of Shanghai. This city showed a stark contrast to our experience in Fuzhou. The governor was an able man and he has built a large granary for the people of the province. The region is fertile and there is rice cultivation on the plains in the South. Like elsewhere in Chin, the people of this city practiced the faith of Confucius. At Shanghai, we met with strangers who dressed and spoke differently than others in China. That is where we learnt of the people and their kingdom, called Goguryeo.

These people were Buddhist and looked at wonder when we told them that we were from Bharata where the Buddha was born. Instantly they wanted to know everything there was to know about us. An emissary met us the next day on our ship and we exchanged knowledge of one other's nations. The Goguryeo knew of things I had never heard of, a civil system that seemed more advanced than ours, of a system of dates and time such that the scholars at Pataliputra and Indraprasth find hard to comprehend, and an advanced understanding of economics. However, we still have the edge over them in our learning of metal casting. The emissary has left me with this message, that he would be willing to exchange knowledge of Korea's secrets for our knowledge of Metal Casting.

In Service,
Captain Kartikeya

Spoiler :

Samrat Hãla pondered over the development for a moment before moving on to the next letter.

Samrat Pulovami ki Jai

Today we ventured further North, where we were told, that the Han emperor is building a great project. A wall so large and expansive, such that the Earth had never seen. A wall that would cover all of the borderlands of Chin.

I was struck with disbelief at the thought of such a wall existing, but the lands here are full of wondrous and mysterious things. I could not resist the thought of the journey farther North and see this great building project for myself.

For long, the people of Chin, the Han, have complained about the reaving barbarians who come from the North to plunder and loot the villages and towns that lay inland. These barbarians were fairer and had more hair on their skin. Their descriptions seemed no different than a Kushan barbarian from the lands North of Kambojadesa.

Our crew has thankfully not seen such a barbarian in our journey so far and I doubt that we would ever see one, for we did not venture inland beyond the reach of the coastal cities. There were no ports to dock in the lands to the North, and the Goguryeo though cordial and hospitable, were still not confident in allowing us into their land.

It was therefore decided that we would journey to and fro to the North and back to Shanghai. This admittedly limited the reach of our understanding of the region, but from what we saw I can tell you briefly of what the North seemed like.

The lands North of Shanghai are considerably drier than the South. The climate is radically different as is the color of the land. The South is lush and green and brimming with fertility but the north is arid. Over here one can spot wild horses to the lands North from the sea, where a tribe named Manchu are said to roam. Some wheat cultivation is possible along the river there which flows North West of the kingdom of Goguryeo, but beyond that there is not much to sustain large cities here.

In our journeys to the North, we did not witness any great wall either completed or unfinished. It was not until we came back to Shanghai that we learnt the truth of this project. The fishermen who aided us, were taken North by some government officials. They were to be worked on the emperor's great wall. The more we stayed at Shanghai the more we learnt of the reality of this project, as brick kilns were being tasked to produce bricks in greater numbers.

When we came back to Fuzhou we saw thousands toiling at the stone quarries. When we asked what all this toil was for, the same answer greeted us, 'the emperor's great wall'. I do not know how far this wall has been finished or when it will be finished, but the Chinese are leaving no stone unturned to finish this project as soon as possible. The Chinese cities show great prosperity and the emperor prides himself on the acquired prosperity through the ages. The state treasury is said to have three hundred mound of gold in surplus. Trade with India has made Chin a wealthy nation, and it is understandable that they would seek to protect it so.

In Service,
Captain Kartikeya

"If this great wall is indeed true and if it is made in time, is it possible that the Northern barbarians may turn their attention to us …?" Samrat Hala pondered over this unsettling question for some time. "The Chinese have also acquired a great amount of surplus wealth, and our treasury is nearing bankruptcy…" Samrat Hãla was now devising a plan to bail out the empire.

"Summon Amatya Chakravarty." he ordered his attendant,
Amatya Chakravarty entered, "Samrat, you summoned me ?"
"We need to call the diplomat from China. I intend to negotiate an agreement for aid."
"How much aid samrat?"
"Two hundred and sixty mounds of gold."
"That is a large sum…"
"The empire is in need. The Chinese have funds which we are presently lacking. if we can acquire some of their surplus, it would help us tremendously."
"Do you think the Han emperor would agree."
"We will see."

The diplomat from China Xuan Xang was shocked when he first heard the emperor place e his request for aid, but the Han emperor simply smiled. "Our friends from the West have brought wealth and prosperity to these lands, it is no shame if in their time of need Chin gives its surplus to Bharat."

Spoiler :

The aid was a success, the treasury of Magadh grew manifold and once again, funding could be made available for research.

Five years passed, and the emperor matured into a handsome young adult. At nearly twenty years of age, emperor Hãla ruled the largest empire in Asia and saved it from the brink of bankruptcy and civil war. Further explorations and surveys were conducted throughout the lands of Bharata which revealed yet another startling discovery.

For long the men of the North did not know of the actual location of the river called the Cauvery. When the Northern armies invaded the lands of the Tamil, it was mistakenly believed that the river which flowed along Kanchipuram was the river known as the Cauvery. This was then christened as the Ganga of the South. The river known as the Godavari was thus never discovered, and decried a myth. However, the true Cauvery which bestowed fertility upon the lands of the South, lay much farther South and flowed near the towering peak of the Nilgiri mountain. This was the true Cauvery while the river in the North was the Godavari, the Ganga of the South.

Spoiler :

Five years passed under Hala's reign. The realm was more prosperous than it had ever been, and it was growing. Peace prevailed throughout the realm, and the respect for the Satavahana dynasty had been restored. During this time, Samrat Hãla developed an artistic bent of mind and began composing poetry. He constructed more temples of the Grand complex at Kashi, it is recorded that the temples commissioned by Hãla are among the most beautiful of all the grand temples there.

It would still be some time, before the temple complex would accomplish the true extent that Samrat Satakarni, the first of his name had envisioned. Whilst Bharata continued to build its wonder of peace, the Han empire in the east had finished its wonder of war.

Spoiler :

A lowly shepherd boy from the Terai was herding sheep one day, when he strayed too far. In his wanderings, he stumbled across a wall, a wall the likes of which he had never seen nor heard of. Frightened, the boy ran back to his father, when the boy described the great wall, standing twelve feet high and made of black bricks, his father scolded him disbelieving his words. When the father went with the boy to the exact spot, he saw the truth with his own eyes.

That was the first time that any Bharatiya had set eyes on the Great Wall of Emperor Han Cheng. The Chinese diplomat at Pataliputra had then presented a map of the Great Wall before Samrat Hãla. The wall cut through the borders of Chin and Bharata and the land of Tibet. It coiled around rivers, valleys, mountains and hills like a snake over its prey. It was a wonder which would strike fear at the enemy. Samrat Hãla feared that those very enemies would now ride South to Bharata, those fears would be not be unjustified.

I knew he was going to die but I didn't expect that! I'm very pleased with the outcome though :goodjob: So I'm the dad of a bastard son who is now emperor, that's a pretty cool title if I do say so myself :D

Well, looks like I'll have to move the Army back to the frontier.

Top Bottom