A Tryst with Destiny

And with that the update ends :) . Now as the usual drill, we prepare for the next one. But first, in light of the lower caste uprising, it has become pertinent to review a few of the earlier religious policies. For this I'm going to make a new non-ministerial position.

The years passed in quiet calm. Twenty five years of Samrat Pulovami's reign gave way to ten years of Samrat Hāla's . Now came the time that the old guard of Magadh's ministry would pass on the baton to new blood.

Senapati Virappalli, disgusted with the ugliness of war and repression cast his resignation as soon as the rebellion of the peasantry was put down. He renounced the world and exiled himself to the Himalayas where he spent the remainders of his days in meditation and in service of the poor as a Buddhist ascetic. He hoped that in this way he would atone for the sins of his past life and cleanse himself of the blood of innocents. Before he left, he would pass on mantle of military affairs to the hands of his most able student, Vijayanand. As a commander of the city garrison of Herat, he had proved himself in fighting off the Kushan raids, since then General Vijayanand had favored him and mentored him. While departing, Virappalli had blessed Vijayanand that he would go on to do great things.

Amatya Brahmagupt and Nayanjyot submitted their resignation content of the work they did with the new samrat. The realm had prospered under his leadership, and they hoped it would continue to do so for a long time. New ministers would join in their stead, carrying on the work of enriching the empire. During his last years, Amatya Nayanjyot compiled an economic manuscript detailing the changes in the economic condition of Bharata.

Amatya Aditya decided after tasting battle, that he was not meant for the military. He preferred the position of royal cartographer and his position in the ministry of exploration. He proved an able successor to his predecessor and gave honor to the school of cartography. His maps and studies in cartography were unmatched by anyone else. While he resigned from his position in the ministry for exploration, he retained his position as the royal cartographer. It was said that he was undertaking a massive mapmaking project. The empire's new boundaries and new knowledge of the world warranted such a new map, and Aditya promised this would be the most beautiful and accurate map yet made.

With the conquest of Persia, Bharatvarsha had extended her borders beyond its known frontiers. Parsa was now under the suzerainty of Magadh, its fate would be in the hands of the Samrat of Bharata. The ministry for protectorates and colonies would oversee the affairs of the empire's colonies and protectorates. While Chola Nadu was still considered among colonies, Parsa was a protectorate. The ministry would determine the manner of tribute extracted from there and of troops committed to the defense of that kingdom. Never before had the ministry for protectorates and colonies been as powerful as it was today.

Though Amatya Mukteshwar had opposed the war of lions, he welcomed its results. He reminisced on Samrat Pulovami's slap in the war room and chuckled, 'life teaches' he thought to himself. His younger cousin Mahendran inherited the position after him.

All of Magadh's ministers had thus planned and prepared for their retirement, all except Amatya Chakravarty. It had been over a decade since he had assassinated the samrat of Magadh. In one move he had rid the realm of a tyrant and a son of his father.. but he did have a father. Amatya Chakravarty had sworn to take his secret to his funeral pyre, he had promised as much to Nayanika.

"Hāla must never know of his true father. Please Sridhar promise me.." 'Promise me…..' the dream faded away with the morning, but the thoughts lingered. Amatya Chakravarty had harbored two dire secrets for more than two decades. He was now an old man, and the burden was only growing heavier with time. 'This has gone long enough.. I must tell him' he thought. He walked to his office, he knew today would most likely be the last time he would, he had given the Magadhan empire thirty five years of service and now the time came to pass on the mantle.

Samrat Hāla had never truly overcome the loss of the man he called his father. He grew up to be a grim and brooding man, who would take refuge in poetry and prose to escape from the harsh realities that surrounded him. Amatya Chakravarty saw the sorrow in his son's eyes, every passing day. Each time he would see Hāla brooding in solitude, he would blame himself for bringing this upon his son.

'Will my son ever forgive me ?..' he thought to himself as he wrote his resignation letter. The words would not come to his mind, and his hand could not write. "No.. I must speak with the Samrat!" just as he arose and was about to walk out, a messenger entered his chamber,
"Pranam Arya, Samrat Hāla has summoned you."
Amatya Chakravarty was surprised, a shiver ran down his body, he had not expected this. 'What could it be..?' "Let us go."

The samrat stood with his back facing the throne room, and looked upon the Lion throne of Magadh. A massive intimidating behemoth made of gold and copper in the shape of a lion's head and the lion was roaring. The throne room was dark and grim, it was the site of judgment and judgment would be upon Amatya Chakravarty.
"Satyameva jayate." Samrat Hāla read the words inscribed on pedestal of the throne, "Truth shall triumph. Wise words." he turned to Amatya Chakravarty.
"Why did you summon me samrat?"
Samrat Hāla took slow deliberate steps up to Amatya Chakravarty and looked deep into his eyes. He folded his hands and took a deep breath. A tear fell from his right eye.
Amatya Chakravarty's instincts made him reach out for his son and wipe the tear of his cheeks, but Hāla grabbed his hand.
"All these years, I worshipped you as a mentor. You taught me right from wrong, you taught me to be a good ruler, to serve my people and to be like a father to my subjects. Why did you do it Amatya?"
Amatya Chakravarty did not have any answer..'By Krishna ! He knows ! but how…'
"The truth cannot stay hidden for long Amatya. One day the truth would be known, you of all people must know that."
"Pulovami was a cruel man Hāla, he hurt your mother and humiliated me. He brought misery and suffering on his own people. I held back only for you, I would not deprive you of a father at such a tender.."
"So you decided to deprive me of a father when I was older ? Because of you my childhood went without joy, I would not know a father's shelter or love."
"I was there for you Hāla."
The Samrat almost broke down then. He turned around and walked up to the throne and took his seat. 'Satyameva Jayate'.
the Samrat's eyes were red and swelling and his cheeks were wet, eyes of anger and sorrow. Samrat Hãla's eyes stared at Chakravarty deeply, he would now pass judgment.

"Amatya Sridhar Chakravarty. For your crime of sedition, for the murder of the reigning Samrat of Bharata, Rajadhiraja Samrat Pulovami, I Samrat Hāla, his son and successor, am forced to give to you.. the sentence of death."

Amatya Chakravarty froze, but the samrat did not end. "But it is sin to kill a brahmin and greater sin to slay one's own father. The ancients walked that path, but that path lay buried with them."
"Son.."
Samrat Hāla stepped down from the throne and walked up to his father. "I will not be a kinslayer. As your son, I cannot raise my hand against you, yet as a Samrat, I must enforce the laws of Magadh for that is my Rajdharma." Samrat Hāla then took out a dagger and handed it to Amatya Chakravarty.
"I have learnt much of Rajdharma from you father, I trust in your sense of judgment to know right from wrong. Satyameva Jayate.."

Samrat Hāla walked out of the throne room, each step sounded like thunder reverberating off the stone walls and the hundred pillars of the throne room. Amatya Chakravarty stood with his mouth opened and felt the dagger with his fingers. "Satyameva Jayate.."

Ooh.... what will happen next?

BTW, in the tenth paragraph, it should probably be "Samrat Hala has summoned" not Samrat Pulovami".

An update will be made in the ministers of magadh group for ministerial reports.

Could you PM me the details? I can't view the group as I'm "technically" not a member.

You can now request to become a member again. And I like my dramatic death :p

You can now request to become a member again. And I like my dramatic death :p

No I can't. The join group button isn't there. I had already checked before I requested a PM.

I mean he can send you a request. I joined into the Dawn of Russians group already.

Spoiler :

Over the horizon a lone figure limped across over barren hills. Before him, lay the charred ruins of a city. Decades ago, a great battle was fought at this very sight, where the Roman General Marcus Antonius fought a war of redemption. This was the place where the armies of Rome secured a great triumph and where the tyrant Phraates suffered his first humiliation. This was also the place, where the people of Armenia suffered a great betrayal, one which they were not soon to forget. For over two decades the charred ruins of the city of Artashat wept quietly.

The solitary wanderer kept walking till he reached the peak of Artashat, the great mount which stood like a giant sentinel watching over the town, from here one could see through the hills and valleys of Armenia. To the North lay the iron mountains where iron could be mined, and to the East lay what was once Artashat. The man sat down and gazed on at the ruins, a tear ran down his cheek when he remembered those days… those days twenty years ago. Days of glory and treachery.

'It should not have happened… why oh why..' he remembered the fateful day when cheer turned to cries. Suddenly Artashat came to life before him, he saw a procession of people and the King of Armenia being crowned.

"We proclaim before all men on this earth, Artavasdes, King of Armenia!" the high priest declared when placing the crown of Armenia upon the king's head.
"Long Live Artavasdes!" "Long live our saviour!" the people cheered.

King Artavasdes rose to address his people, "People of Armenia! Long have we lived under the tyranny of an alien ruler. His cruelty knew no bounds, he was a man without honor, and his rule without righteousness. The dark days of Persia's tyranny.. are at an end !" The people applauded in joy, but the king continued. "The sun shines upon the mounts of Media Atropane, as Armenia awakens to a new day. From here on, we shall be free and sovereign ! We thank our Roman friends, for aiding us in this struggle, and to General Marcus Antonius of Rome. They shall forever have a place in our hearts." Just then, a messenger came frantically running to the king, he was bleeding and panting as though the life was running out of him.

"Take me..to the K..King.."
"What is it ?" Artavasdes asked,
"Romans.. Romans.. they ..they."
"yes what of them?"
"Burning ..my king.. Romans are burning the town. They..are burning.. the villages.."
Artavasdes stood in stunned silence, none around him knew what to make of what he was hearing.
"This can't be right.. Hector left with his men over a week ago."
Artavasdes' family who had for long lived the life of an exile had returned to Artashat, his son and his wife stood beside him when the coronation was taking place. His eldest son was standing beside the king when the messenger had come.
"Father, it is possible that they may not be Romans. Is it not possible that Phraates has sent his spies to sow discord between us an our allies?"
"No.. The Persians are too far."
"Messenger, where are the fires ?"
"To the West.." the messenger pointed to the West and dropped dead before them.

Artavasdes had announced a grand festival in Artashat to commemorate their liberation from Persia, but now a dark cloud hovered over their future and suddenly, everything became uncertain. "Son, you go and investigate into the disturbances. Take only a few men with you. My volunteers will stay in the castle.

Briefly, the wanderer came back to the present, a soft wind blew from the East over a shrub growing out from the hillside. A dying plant stood out beside it, the wind took the last leaf with it. 'Tis a mercy..' he said to himself, he slipped back to the past and remembered an East wind which blew over the mountains that day. The winds had fanned the fires of the city, fires that the Romans had lit.

Artavasdes' son rode out with half a dozen volunteers to the Western part of the city, he was one of them. This part of the town was home to several hundred artisans who had all but left in the wake of the war of lions. Their dwellings were later used for the army of Persia, till the city fell to Artavasdes and Mark Antony. Armenians took these abandoned dwellings for their own. Many of them, were refugees expelled from the town when Phraates had unleashed his brutality upon this accursed land. Those houses were now before him, burning.

The flames danced before them as if mocking their hopes and dreams. They danced over brick and flesh alike and where the flames danced came death and suffering. He saw before him, Roman legionaries killing innocent men and women, those the flames would not devour behind closed doors of the death traps that were once homes. Then a Roman legionary saw the volunteers, "Enemyyy!" he shouted, and other legionaries rushed to attack the party. Artavasdes' son and the team turned their horses and rode back, but there were more Romans coming in.

A fiery explosion shattered the walls to the West, soldiers swarmed in. There must have been hundreds of them and they all made their way East to the centre of the town, but the party kept riding. "We must warn the king, we must vacate Artashat! The Romans have betrayed us!" The prince's command felt like a rock to his heart, but he could not let that slow him down. The horses rode, and behind him buildings were burning and men and women were dying.

Never before had the wanderer ridden as he did that day, nor ever since, but it was not enough. A volley of arrows fired at them, and he saw the prince fall from his steed when an arrow landed on his temple, others of the party fell as well, only he rode on. With his last strength the prince pointed out to the road before them, telling him 'Ride.. ride on!' and so he rode.

He arrived to the King bearing ominous news. "My sire..The Romans have betrayed us !""They have killed your son."
King Artavasdes sank to the ground, he could not believe what his ears were hearing. His son died, and his kingdom was being pillaged. "Mark Antony had promised freedom, and he gave us death.."

The wanderer closed his eyes and stopped his tears, he chose not to remember the rest of that day. Seeing Artashat burn and his king die were memories he would rather not revisit, he no longer had the nerve to recollect those horrid sights. The wanderer rose up and kept limping away, he would wander for another twenty years as he had done for the twenty years past surviving in the forests and deserts at the mercy of nature and the mercy of people. In his heart, he would know nothing but hate for the treachery of Rome. "One day, they too shall know death"

Wow, intense update. Very nice.

Because I can post in school :mwaha:

It was no ordinary day for the people of Pataliputra. Samrat Hāla had demanded the presence of all of Pataliputra for the announcement he was going to make.

Samrat Hāla stood on the porch of the Palace of Pataliputra before thousands of Pataliputra's citizens, in his hands he carried a white pigeon. The moment he set it free, would begin the first day of a new age. "I Samrat Hāla, first of my name, and the fifth samrat of the Satavahana line, decree this day, the first day in the new age.

This shall be an age of peace, an age of prosperity, and a time of enlightenment, when Bharata shall reach to ever more glorious heights of power and prestige and assume her rightful place in the pantheon of nations, as vishwaguru.

On this day, we shall observe every year, the beginning of the new year of a new calendar. The Vikram Samvat now begins, named for my father, Samrat Pulovami Vikramaditya and in honor of all those who through their sacrifices have brought the empire of Magadh to this position of power before the world. And in honor of those who had fallen in the rebellion of Sudras, I decree that from this day forth till the end of a hundred years after me, no man shall be forced to work against his will, for any work of the state or for private interests. Let this decree be passed over all dominions of the empire of Magadh."

Thus began in the month of vasant, the first year of the Vikram Samvat calendar. For long, the rishis and acharyas of Bharata had studied the movements of planets and seasons to create an accurate calendar, much as what the Persians already used. However, the Persians were not willing to share their knowledge with the rest of the world, and what was known to the Persians dealt only with the seasons of Persia and was thus not considered useful for the people of Bharata. No other nation in the world knew of a calendar system, or so it was believed.

Everything changed when the nation of Goguryeo was discovered by the then Captain Kartikeya, now Amatya for foreign affairs. When it came to the knowledge of Samrat Hāla that the Goguryeo were willing to exchange their knowledge for our knowledge of metal casting, the samrat ordered a group of rishis, artisans and shipwrights who were skilled in the art of metal casting and ship building to travel to Goguryeo with scrolls of the lohshastra, the treatise on metal casting.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

With the knowledge of seasons secured from the Goguryeo, the rishis of Bharata created the Vikram samvat calendar from the sixth year of Samrat Hāla's reign.

With knowledge of a calendar, came many benefits to the peasantry of Bharata who would now know when to sow their seeds, when the rains would come and go, when winter would pass onto summer and when spring would make the flowers blossom. The learned men of Bharata now yearned for a new direction for study, Samrat Hāla thus tasked them with uncovering the secrets of a new economic order. In his mind, he wished to unite all of Bharata not just under one political crown, but also under one economic rule, a single currency for all trade.

Many deemed this madness, some laughed it off, but a handful of acharyas in the gurukul of Pataliputra came forward to take up the samrat's challenge. They began to research all known works of arthashastra since Acharya Chanakya and of those who came before him. Samrat Hāla with advise from Amatya Niyogi, secured greater funding for their research and a place of privilege in the royal archives.

Spoiler :

The years of peace passed on, and time healed the bitter wounds of the past. Half of Pataliputra which had once laid in ruin was now fully rebuilt and the city returned to some of its former grandeur. As peace returned to the realm, Samrat Hāla started to come to terms with his own tragedies. Samrat Hāla was a wounded man, just as Magadh was a wounded nation. Years of war and violence had left deep scars upon her. The other provinces of Bharata had suffered as well, for the ambitions of the Samrats who ruled from the throne of Magadh. "Enough" the emperor said, "Enough of the death, destruction and fighting. Now we must have peace."

But peace could only be secured by strength. On the frontiers of Bharata, North of the Kambojadesa, the tribes of Kushans and Turkushas resided. From there they raided East, West, North and South to all lands that came in their sight. The building of the Great wall of China pushed many other fierce tribes over the deserts West of Chin into bloody conflict. The lands of the Han empire was now impossible to attack, so the Turkushas turned their gaze South to the prosperous lands of Bharata. The raids to Herat became more frequent and the Kushans became bolder in their attacks. The Army of Magadh was once again needed on Bharata's frontiers. Senapati Vijayanand oversaw the rebasing of the Army of Magadh to Herat.

Spoiler :

The presence of the Army of Magadh kept the raiders out of the North and secured the boundaries of Bharata. An unintended consequence of this move, was to stabilize the new regime in Persia. While Tiridates was well loved by his subjects, the treaty of subjugation with the empire of Magadh created resentment among many Persians. The Paradas too never forgave Magadh for the death of their king and remained hostile. The presence of the Army of Magadh on Persia's borders struck terror into Tiridates' enemies.

The horse lands of Kambojadesa were now open to the empire of Magadh. This meant that pastures could be developed in those lands. The Kambojas had sacrificed much for the cause of Magadh, their men fought beside the armies of Magadh and for the future of Magadh. They fought its wars in foreign lands unfailing in their loyalty to their king. It was thus only fitting that the long standing demand of the Kambojas to develop pastures in the horse lands be met. Samrat Hāla gave the Kambojas this gift. Four worker guilds were assigned the task of developing pastures in the horse lands.

Spoiler :

Five more years passed and Samrat Hāla's reign passed on to its eleventh year. The precocious boy had grown up to be a wise man. In his life he had witnessed three great tragedies in his youth. The death of his father, the death of his mentor and thereafter, the death of his beloved mother.

The death of his mother, dowager empress Nayanika had hurt him the hardest. On the day of his mother's funeral, it is said that he was so overcome by grief and anger, he had set out to burn the throne of Magadh. It was the intervention of Senapati Vijayanand that stopped the emperor from descending to such madness. Hāla was a strong man, but even the strong can break, fortunately for Bharata, her samrat did not break.

To escape the doldrums of tragedy, he sought refuge in poetry. Over the years, the samrat wrote many short poems and compiled it into a large compilation of poetry, the Gatha Saptashati. The poems spoke of love and the beauty of the world. The Samrat's love for culture and of all the beauties of creation would be seen again in the last of the grand temples of Kashi.

Samrat Hāla oversaw the completion of his great ancestor's dream, the temple complex at Kashi would become the signature of the Satavahan dynasty, its eloquent imprint on the soil of Bharata. The last of the forty temples of Kashi built under Samrat Hāla's guidance was also its most beautiful.

The people of Kashi had come to know these temples as the Khajuraho, so named for the two large date trees which stood at the gates of the temple complex. Standing on the banks the Ganga, the temple presented an awe inspiring sight.

Spoiler :

Kashi now stood tall and strong, its priestly class was never bolder. The building of these temple complex was welcomed by the brahmins of Kashi, yet the brahmins feared for the future. In Hāla they saw a man who would reason with Buddhists, there was even talk of building a gilded stupa. Pataliputra still dominated Bharata as its largest, richest and most cultured city. Varanasi would remain under its shadow and the brahmins knew of this.

When the brahmans of Kashi called for a chintan baithak of all brahmans across Bharata, thousands answered. They were all united under a common cause to uphold vedic culture and the supremacy of the brahman. It was decided then, that a representative shall be elected from among the most enlightened among them to represent the interests of all brahmans and guide him in the ways of the shastras.

Pandit Munindra, a wise priest in Pataliputra, was chosen for the task. Samrat Hāla was known to respect him and confided in him during his most difficult times after the death of Queen Nayanika. On his request, the samrat had rebuilt his gurukul which had been gutted during the sudra rebellion.

Spoiler :

Pataliputra had been through many convolutions, but remained a beacon of culture and prosperity for the world. travelers came to Pataliputra from far corners of the world, some came for trade, others for spiritual enlightenment and blessings of the Buddha. It was a centre of knowledge and art, where wise men toiled to unravel the secrets of the world. Most of all, it was the key stone that held together the vast empire of Magadh straddling from the plateaus of Iran to the waters of the Eastern sea.

Among the thousands who came to Pataliputra, was the beautiful daughter of the king of Ceylon, Lilavati. The Kings of Ceylon had adopted the path of the Buddha since Samrat Ashok had sent missions to that island. Since then, their family has been visiting Pataliputra on an annual pilgrimage. Since the time of Ashoka, Ceylon had accepted the suzerainty of Magadh over all the lands of Bharatvarsha. This was Lilavati's first visit to Pataliputra, over here the young Samrat Hāla and the beautiful Ceylonese princess came face to face and it was love at first sight.

Hāla's youth had passed in tragedies and the burden of rule. When Lilavati came to his life, it was as though Hāla was reborn. When the samrat found love in Lilavati's arms, he could finally bury the ghosts of the past, at least he as at peace. On the twenty first year of his reign, Lilavati would bear him a son and the Satavahan dynasty would have an heir.

Samrat Hāla was never happier than he was now, he had secured the realm and the future of the dynasty. Bharata was prospering and progressing towards a future of peace, the future he envisaged. Thus, the twenty first year of the Vikram Samvat calendar was declared the year of peace and plenty.

But dark clouds were gathering from lands far and away and from lands not so distant. In the barren reaches of the Turkusha domains, a warrior had arisen, they called him Kujula Kadphises. Before their gods and before the Buddha, this new Kushan king had sworn to conquer all lands under heaven so that the Kushan may never know poverty. The riders had set out South, soon they shall ride beyond the Oxus under the crucible of conquest.

Spoiler :

The same time that the Kushans were bestirred into conquest, a pirate lord emerged from Sindh. When the boundaries of Avanti had expanded to annex the Eastern lands of Sindh, the pirates had lost much men and resources. For over three decades, piracy was at a low ebb along the coasts of Avanti, but now the pirate Angulimaal sought to challenge the might of the second greatest empire on earth. On the coast of Sindh, within the waters of Avanti, Angulimal had begun his gathered his forces for raid and the fleet of triremes were nowhere near to being ready.

Spoiler :

-----

Two letters came before Samrat Hāla from Amatya Martand. He was an unorthodox minister, for unlike most of his contemporaries who sought to rule from the administrative offices of Pataliputra, he believed in ruling his domains from within them. He travelled between Persepolis and Kanchipuram extensively, administering his duties from a mobile office in his caravan. A team of messengers were always at the ready to deliver news from the colonies and protectorates to the samrat's doorstep. Amatya Martand sent two separate letters from Persepolis and Kanchipuram.

From Persepolis :

Samrat Hāla ki Jai !

Your excellency, during my administration of our Persian protectorate, it has come to my notice that this land has two manner of forces. One faction which hates us and hates our ally King Tiridates, and the other which hates us but admires King Tiridates. Among these, it is in our best interest to do whatever we can within our power to ensure that King Tiridates remain seated on the throne of Persia. Of King Tiridates it should be said, that he and his court would not hesitate for a moment before breaking away from our suzerainty. It must be recalled, that the treaty signed with your esteemed predecessor Chakravartin Samrat Mahrajadhiraj Pulovami, was but conditional. If the Persian be allowed to grow their strength, then it would become difficult for us to keep our hold over them.

At present, our best allies within Persia, though not many in number, are those who have grown wealthy over trade between the East and West. Bharata controls the best of this trade. It is therefore, my recommendation, that no tribute be exacted from Persia and this regime be allowed to entrench itself. We may control this land by pitting both our enemies against one another.

The land is rich in resources, there is wine, fine wool, iron, sea food and ivory to be had from the lands of Persia. For now however, I would advice restraint on exploiting these resources if only to avoid provoking any negativity towards Bharata. We needst only secure our hold over Kambojadesa, for if we control that, then we control Persia.

In Service,
Amatya Martand

From Kanchipuram :

Samrat Hāla ki Jai,

Your excellency, the lands of Chola Nadu have prospered under your rule. Though Kanchipuram remains backwards in terms of civic improvements, the people of the outlying villages and settlements are content with the development of pasture lands has given many opportunities to the people of the province. The library of Kanchipuram is only a modest structure, but one which should be developed. However, I would recommend investment in the defense of the city. There should be two archer divisions and a wall built on this city.

The shipwrights of Chola Nadu continue building the fleet of triremes that had been ordered, while much work is done, the shipwrights say that if they be allowed to hire bonded labor and rush production, the fleet would be complete and ready for battle. I have ensured that no bonded labor be used in any kind of project within the colony, but the shipwrights are restless. Kanchipuram is weak and underdeveloped, and I would not put a strain on her by imposing the burden of forced labor. Let Chola Nadu grow and prosper.

In service,
Amatya Martand.

Spoiler :

Samrat Hāla pondered over the letter from Perspolis. He recollected an earlier discussion with Amatya Kartikeya, he said to the emperor that day
Amatya Kartikeya spoke,"A land so rich in resources should not slip from our grasp. As we have suzerainty over the Persians they forfeit the right to their own resources. All the wealth of persia should justly belong to us".
"But they are the resources of Persia. Would it not provoke the Persians against us ?" the Samrat asked,
"That is true samrat, but as has been so clearly shown, our military might is many times greater than theirs, should they be so foolish as to challenge us again, Persia shall surely be crushed!"
"What you talk of is war. How can I keep the promise of peace if we take a policy that brings war?"
"Samrat, I speak only of diplomacy. We must not let the Persians feel equal to us or they would revolt, then war would come to our doorstep whether we will it or not."

Samrat Hāla pondered some more, 'If I take one path against another, it would bring Amatya Martand in conflict with Amatya Kartikeya, yet both speak the truth. Perhaps .. there is a middle path..'

That night the Samrat concluded his middle path. He sat in discussion with Amatya Kartikeya and sent a message to Amatya Martand on the policy towards Persia. Each year, they would pay in tribute to Bharata iron and elephants, thus depriving them from training armored divisions and elephant cavalry. Tiridates was not pleased, but all knew that opposition was futile.

Spoiler :

The Samrat next turned his attention to matters closer to home.

Kanchipuram was safe and secure and bereft of any proximate danger, as a coastal city it has access to the waters of the Eastern sea and has a seafaring population, but lacks a harbor. Avanti has a harbor but lacks the resources to grow and build quickly. The prospect of rushing the trireme project and developing an attack fleet to fight the pirates of Sindh seemed hard to refuse, yet that would mean the Samrat would go against his own words, then what kind of ruler would he be ?

Samrat Hāla consulted with Amatya Niyogi and Senapati Vijayanand.
"Amatya, what is the position of our finances?"
"Samrat, our treasury is running a deficit of one mound of gold for every year. On every fifth year our reserves which currently amount to two hundred and twenty nine mounds of gold decline by ten mounds of gold."
"Senapati, are there any proximate threats that have been reported ?"
"Samrat, not for the last twenty years has there even been a raid conducted on the lands of our glorious empire. The only threat that truly exists, comes from the seas where we do not yet have the means to challenge the pirates of Sindh."
"Would you say we need any more troops than we have, Senapati?"
Vijayanand smiled, "No Samrat. Not at all."
"Amatya, what is your opinion on this?"
"Samrat, our deficit is not a problem as of now, but later on, we will be strained to sustain such a deficit for too long. A large army definitely contributes to greater expense. If the Senapati says there is no need for troops, then I would say that we must not allow any expansion of troops."

Thus it was decided, though to Amatya Martand's disappointment, that he would not be given more troops to command. The Samrat however, allowed for the building of walled defenses.

On the twenty sixth year of Samrat Hāla's reign, the heir of the Satavahan dynasty, was announced, it would be Prince Purindrasena, the first born son of Samrat Hāla. That very year, Queen Lilavati gave birth to another child, Prince Puttalaka. However, Purindrasen was born feeble, he did not survive long after his birth, within a year after the announcement of Purindrasen as heir, he perished. His death threw the Samrat into a state of paranoia and panic he often thought that the line after him was cursed, cursed with witnessing death at a young age. In his grief he wrote a poem of love, the poem which would be his last,

Mother
with the blink of an eye
his love vanished
A trinket gets
dangled
into your world
you reach out and it's gone

From the emissary of Europa

Samrat Hāla ki Jai,

Your excellency, as per the orders of the esteemed Amatya Aditya I have travelled with our guards to he Northern provinces of the empire of Roma. We have travelled along the Northern road to the city of Mediolanum, then went West to the colony of Terraco in the land called Iberium.

The paved roads of Roma are worth mentioning. Paved of polished stone, these roads are built for leagues on end without a single error connecting the cities of the empire. The cities of Europa are at present larger than those in our empire, but less developed.

In the city of Mediolanum there are apart from the worshipers of Yavan gods, those who worship the god of fire, the same as those of the Persians. They follow the path of Zoroaster. Mediolanum is a large walled city along a fertile river which flows from West to East. In the plains East of the city, I saw a sight which took me by surprise. A division of Roman armored infantry men were busy constructing a paved road.

In our own empire, the kshatriya fights, rules and administer, the Vaishya, trader and peasant engages in trade, the sudra toils, the brahmin thinks, but here in Rome, the kshatriya does the work of a Sudra ! It was a sight that left us perplexed. When we questioned the purpose of building that road, the commander of that division told us that the Emperor of Rome August Caesar, had decreed that a road be made connecting the towns of Gaul to Roma.

No doubt our curiosity was aroused, and we also had the Amatya's directive. So we journeyed on to the province of Gaul. Beyond the hills North of Mediolanum, which I would say compare well with the Himalayas, there were no roads. It was said, that this area was still unsafe for travelers for raiders and bandits use the isolated forests to prey on unsuspecting travelers making their way between Gaul and Roma.

Perhaps with the blessings of Lord Shiva, we did not encounter any hostiles, though our journey was fraught with difficulties. After climbing the peaks of these mountains in the North, we had to make our way through forests, there after a series of low rolling hills rich in iron. Only after passing these hills did we find the only city of Gaul within sight, Burdigala.

It was nothing more than a garrison town, but the lands of Gaul are rich in fertility and the produce of nature. A large river ran from South to North emptying in the seas West of Europa. Among the resources was wine richer than what is to be had from Persia. There were no vineyards yet, but Emperor Augustus Caesar the Samrat of Roma, intends to build large vineyards in the lands of Gaul much like there were to the South of Mediolanum.

We stayed in Gaul for a month exploring the West and South of the region where a large garrison of ten thousand infantry men rested in the town of Burdigala. We learnt of the people of Gaul and of the empire of Roma, it is indeed an expansive empire stretched from the Western edge of Europa to the borders of Persia in the East, and beyond the mediterranean to the mysterious and unknown continent of Africana. However, there are rebels and revolts threatening the integrity and stability of the empire, not to mention the precarious alliance between Roma and Misr. Roma has reached the pinnacle of its expansion, yet it wants to reach out farther.

In Gaul, during our stay, we encountered reports of no less than half a dozen attacks on Roman soldiers and attacks on Roman citizens in Gaul. The people of this land have not easily forgiven Emperor Julius Caesar for his bloody conquest of this land.

After our explorations in the North, we turned South again and made our way back to the cities of the South, to the peninsula of Roma. In course of this exploration over the last month, we learnt much of the boundaries of the empire as well as its strengths and weaknesses.

In service,

Sridhar Harivansh

Emissary to Europa

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

The Hansa sailed elegantly along the Goguryeo coastline heading South, the day shone brightly bringing warmth over these cold lands. Captain Arjun walked to the stern of the galley looking over the blue waters of the Korean sea. In the distant horizon he could spot the Korean coastline with the rice fields of Hanseong in sight. It was a perfect autumn day filled with the grandeur and beauty of the sea, and captain Arjun was basking under the rays of the sun till an unusual sight caught his eyes.

A boat made its way from the coast of Goguryeo , it bore the banner of the Goguryeo king. The captain asked his first mate, "What do you make of this Akshay?"
"Captain, it looks like an official is coming to meet us."
"I thought as much, pull up the sail.. let us see these visitors."

Captain Arjun met the emissary on the Hansa with the entire crew behind him, The emissary on board the vessel was sent from the king of Goguryeo, he had with him a message which he unfolded and read out before the crew,

Our honorable emperor, Wang Daeso, has in his infinite wisdom decreed that all waters between the Southern end of the kingdom of Goguryeo and touching the coastline of Nihon in the East, shall henceforth belong exclusively to the Kingdom of Goguryeo.

The waters of this blessed sea shall forever be sealed from the touch of foreign impurities. None shall enter the waters of Korea as none are allowed to tread upon her soil.

"So?" the first mate asked,
"It means we are not allowed to journey any farther South." The Captain said
"but the Lakshmi is docked in the town of Hanseong. We were to meet at the straits…"
Captain Arjun looked the emissary in his eyes, "What would you do, if we sailed through your seas."
The emissary bowed and said in the most polite manner, "The emperor has only but his duty to the laws of Goguryeo. He is bound to enforce them, if there is impurity upon our bodies we wash it away, so it is within the kingdom if there are any impurities they must be washed away. I cannot tell the manner in which you will be evicted, but Goguryeo shall exercise all those options which are available to a sovereign and free nation.

Spoiler :

Captain Arjun thought over this. If they sailed South they would risk a war with this kingdom, myriad miles away from the homeland. It was known that a team of Goguryan shipwrights had recently learnt the secrets of building warships on the high seas from Indian ship builders, if they had any triremes to use it would be foolish for the Hansa to challenge them. Even if they had not these weapons, it would still be wise to keep friends with these strangers in the far east. Captain Arjun walked to the other side of the ship facing the endless sea that lay before him to the North. In the distance a small island with a large peak was visible.

"We accept your terms." the captain said, "We shall not sail through your waters."
The crew was perplexed at this, the first mate was near panic, the emissary however, was thankful,
"You have chosen wisely captain."
While the emissary sailed away, heated discussions were boiling over in the Hansa.
"Have you gone out of your mind captain !? We don't know what lies North ? How far North do you want us to travel ? Till the world ends ?"
"There are no ports there. Just islands where we can't even see human life."
Captain Arjun raised his hand to silence his crew, "This fleet had sailed through uncharted waters, and discovered new lands. Mine own predecessor, Captain Kartikeya, who once captained this very ship, sailed to the mysterious islands of the East. I know, that there is a way around the body of land. There are people there, those who would be willing to assist us."
The captains words did not augur much confidence in his crew,
"I can see that you are still not convinced that this journey is possible. Perhaps you think indeed, unless we risk a war between our country and these people, that we will starve on the high seas! Very well, then this journey and its risk is entirely upon me. I vow to reach you safely. I will take this ship and sail around the mysterious isle and we will be on the South side of the Goguryeo peninsula. This shall happen in a matter of weeks."
"Fine, we are with you captain." the First mate said, others in the crew gave their assent.

Thus, began a journey into the unknown. A week passed since they set sail this way, without food on the ship, the sailors turned to fishing the waters along the mysterious island. While the isles of Suvarnadweep were rich in tropical bounties with fresh fruit and rice as well as the riches of the Earth on its hills, the islands here were rich in seafood.

The island had beauty like no son of Bharata had ever laid eyes on. Forests upon forests of trees with many colored leaves, cherry blossoms blowing pink petals in the wind and brilliant blue peaks. After several days of hard travel, not a single settlement was sighted, there were no cities, no towns nor villages on this isle, the crew started to become restless.

"You promised us captain, you promised us a way to the South. How much farther ?"
"There is a turn in the North, I am confident. 'Tis an island not a landmass, this 'Nihon' cannot go on for ever, there must be a point where the island .."
"Must be should be, why have we not seen an end then ? "
"Captain, we have no food anymore, I do not know how much longer we can survive plainly on fish."
"I give you my word men,.."
"words are wind captain…" there was a look of anger in their eyes.

The first mate came rushing to the scene, he was ecstatic. "Captain, you would not believe what I have just witnessed. Come here, come now!"
The crew and the captain were taken to East side of the ship, on board the Hansa they saw a village on a hill. "We have found refuge captain."

Spoiler :

The famished sailors of the Hansa landed on the beaches of the mysterious island, Adrishya dweep, as it had come to be known. The village elder met Captain Arjuna, he could not understand his language nor could Captain Arjun understand the other side, but the language of hand signs was almost universal.

"Our crew.. hungry… need food. We sail. from West. For many days." the Captain gestured
"We bring you. To our village. On hill." the chieftain gestured

In Goguryeo a few fishermen who sailed East had talked of a people on the Adrishya Dweep, talk of a people native to those islands called the Ainu. The descriptions of these people matched with the tribesmen on these hills.

The sailors were brought to the village and given shelter for a day. Over there, Captain Arjun learned of a way around the island and of how many days' travel it would take, the Ainu had no knowledge of sailing on high seas, the captain's questions seemed almost like a joke to the chieftain. He did however, give Captain Arjun an estimate of the distance between the two coasts of the great island and the distance to the northern edge of this island.

"Men, I have good news. With the information given to me by our benevolent hosts, we shall need only one more week of sailing before we reach the South of Goguryeo. Along the way, our good friends, the Ainu have promised to help us in every way they can. We are grateful for their assistance."

The crew were happy to hear this news, even though it was half a lie. Nothing was certain about this journey.

So you discovered Japan and managed to get the Tribal Village?

no, we did not manage to get the tribal village yet. We just discovered it, next step would be to add an explorer to this ship *(preferably a worker or any unit that can move on jungles) and explore the islands of the east. We never intended to discover that place, but the Koreans sealed off our route to the South so we have to circumnavigate around the North of Japan.

One spring morning a greek scholar named Severus saw a vision. The Buddha appeared before him, and he said "Travel East, for I beckon you to the site of my enlightenment. There you shall find that which you seek." For twelve years of fifty that he had lived, Severus had sought wisdom in the shelter of the Buddha. He lived and preached amongst the followers of his faith in the sangh at Sparte eventually becoming its mahant, the sangh had accepted him even as his Greek kin had outcasted him for his heresy. In the words of the Buddha he found inner peace. It had been a long cherished dream, that he would travel to the fabled lands of the East, to the great city of Pataliputra (or Palibothra as the Greeks knew of it), to pay homage to the Buddha and seek enlightenment at the Mahabodhi.

Severus knew from that day forth, when the Buddha appeared before him, that his time had come. The next day he called a gathering of disciples at the Sangh. "I must journey to Palibothra." he said, "Those amongst you who are willing join me." a good dozen hands were raised from among the gathering before him. Thus began an epic journey across the length of the known world, in search of enlightenment. Along his travels, Severus would write of the lands he would traverse from within the empire of Magadh.

They started their journey from the coastal city of Sparte on a boat which would take them to the Phonecian port of Tyre, from there they would travel overland across the war ravaged lands of the Near East. It was a journey fraught with dangers and difficulties, but none would stop the caravan of the faithful from reaching their place of salvation. Severus would compile the memoirs of this journey in the periplus of Indica.

It is the first day of our journey to the Mahabodhi. Out of two dozen brethren at the sangh, half had agreed to join me on this journey. We had succeeded in hiring a galley the week before that would take us, across the mediterranean sea to the province of Syria where we shall embark on an overland journey. We had concluded upon this route as the better option, given the threat of piracy still looming large over the Erythreaen sea. But it is also true, that we had not the money to pay for such a long journey by sea. The threat of piracy only made it harder to find sailors who could take us to Indica by sea.

We had not the funds to hire a decent galley nor could we find a sailor who would take us lowly 'heathens' among them as their crew. It felt almost as though our journey would end before it even began. Then by the blessings of the Buddha, luck turned in our favor. We had found a Buddhist merchant traveling for trade across the Roman empire, and he was making his way from Sparte to Tyre. To aid holy men in their task, would be a most generous act, of whose reward he shall find in this life or the next. We pray that the may Buddha give his blessings upon this generous man.

As we journeyed on Eastwards, Sparte kept diminishing till it sank beyond the Western horizon. Sparte is but a small town of a few thousand dwellers, almost a village if one compares it with the large cities of the Roman peninsula or even of the great cities of the East which we shall encounter. What had once belonged to a great and proud empire built by Alexander himself, had now fallen to the hands of Rome. The city still bore the scars of its brutal occupation. The Romans themselves had little more to offer than rebuilding the granary they had destroyed. I had not seen the fall of this city, but my great grandfather may surely have. One ponders to think the worth of empires, only to realize the truth of the Buddha's words "All things must pass."

There is much enthusiasm for this journey among our younger brethren to see the lands of the East. They have heard tales of the Buddha and of his teachings. Of the cruel and ambitious king of Gangaridae who preached greed while the Buddha preached peace. Of the benevolent emperor Ashok diodotus, with whose blessings many Greeks found the enlightened teachings of the Buddha. I myself, share in their enthusiasm for this journey, but nature and time will test the best of us and our resolve in completing this journey.

Our ship shall arrive at Tyre two days hence, from when we shall journey on our own. Upon reaching Tyre, we shall journey on foot, across the barren deserts of the near east till we reach the city of Babylon. From there, we shall tread across barren hills till we reach Persepolis, and only then, can we make our way into the cities of Indica.

Top Bottom