A Tryst with Destiny

From the journal of the spearman Vasudevan

When I was a boy, my grandfather would tell me stories about a great hero, from a gone time. That hero was Senapati Virappalli. The hero who fought for the glory of the empire of Magadh, a righteous man who fought against the Parasikas, for the liberation of the Parad kingdom. In a war wrote in intrigues and deception, Virappalli stood out as one who did not waiver from the path of honor.

Vijayanand was his student and successor, and few went as far as to say, his very incarnation. I for one never found the story of Vijayanand inspiring. For me, it was the heroism of a Tamil who fought in a foreign land for a foreign people and a foreign empire. The same empire that had slaughtered so many of our brethren and cursed us to enslavement ..

No, I can't forget it just because it happened two hundred years ago. Wounds heal, scars fade, but an injury to one's pride remains etched on his mind till death. The Tamil nation and her people have suffered for over two hundred years. For those two hundred years…

So when rumors came of the now exiled student of the supposedly great hero, returning with an army behind him, I could not feel to bother about it. A crisis of succession had been going on in Magadh, or so they say. Samrat Hala had two children, an elder and a younger, but passed his crown to Vijayanand. The noble 'reincarnation' of Virappalli of course, refused to take it, thanks to which, the elder son usurped the throne and exiled Vijayanand.

Now, I have always had a disdain for politics, especially of that nest of rats called Pataliputra, so I could not care less, that another imperial overlord would replace the one in power. Just one oppressor over another. But today, my nonchalance and cynicism would be challenged.

Around midnight we were awoken from our barracks, the captain of the guards calling us to the beaches. We followed his orders, after all that is what a soldier does. I will say quite frankly, that I was confused by what was happening around me. Why were we suddenly called to the docks ? Who was coming ? I recall in the morning, several lankan warships had been anchored off the beaches of Kanchipuram, with thousands of Lankan warriors. The King of Lanka, Raja Abhaya was sailing to Pataliputra at the request of Samrat Puttalaka, but that was their business, what were we to do ?

Spoiler :

I remember standing in wait for a long time, frustrated at why we were brought out in the dead of night to the beach. It was high tide, and I could see the ships not too far from the shore. From the ships, I saw people disembarking on boats, which came to us. Lankan soldiers, about fifty of them, came to the beach with two simply clothed men, judging by their stature I would have guessed they were elderly. I did not make much of it at first, because I could not see who these people were, but when they came before us their identity was revealed to us. It was Vijayanand and Niyogi, the exiles !

I had not expected to stand witness to such an event, but here I was, greeting Vijayanand, the man who would be king. There was something special about the man, the way he stood, the way he walked, …and the way he spoke. His words cut through our hearts with such force, I could not resist. The tales were no exaggeration, I was in the company of a hero, and I can see now how Hala would have made him king. I still remember the words he spoke of that night.

"My Tamil brethren !" he said, "Today you stand at a cusp of history, where the fate of a nation is being decided. Before us, there are two paths, one path leads to the destruction of Bharatvarsh, where the land of Ram and Buddha falls to the lowest depths of barbarism and poverty, and another path which shall achieve our salvation from the threat that stares us in the face.

Today, we are walking on the first path, led on by the wicked and traitorous who have usurped the throne of Magadh. Their schemes have laid waste to the western provinces and bared open the doors of conquest to the Kushanas. They who are willing to sacrifice their own people of the North West, can you trust them tomorrow that they would not sacrifice Chola Nadu?

I ask you my brothers, should tomorrow, Pataliputra fall to the Kushanas, or should the likes of Puttalaka continue in power for another twenty years. What fate would befall the people of Chola Nadu ? I know there would be many among you, who would see this as a foreign affair. Yet, know this, that your fate is tied to that of Magadh. You are sons of Bharatvarsh as much as we. But I know even this may not be enough to sway you.

Many years ago, the dream of Akhand Bharat was envisioned and today we stand upon a united realm, one which was achieved through much sacrifice and bloodshed. I know, there would be many of you, who would scoff with cynicism at this. Wounds may heal and scars fade, but a single act of humiliation stings at our heart like a venom, reminding us of dishonor. In Chola Nadu, the humiliation and injustice meted out by the armies of Magadh, still pains your hearts."

Vijayanand then paused, remembering his days as a pupil of Virappalli, "I have lived and trained among you for fifteen years under the tutelage of a great man, Virappalli. There was a man of honor, who stood as a lone light of honor in a world infested with wickedness and treachery. He once told me of the Tamil people, that they do not forget a grudge, that once wronged, they would seek justice and dignity even if it means waiting for a lifetime. Then today, standing on the white sands of Kanchipuram, I promise you.. justice.

Chola Nadu is a part of Bharatvarsh, and shall always remain so, but I will give you a choice, a choice to chose your own fate. Chola Nadu shall have its freedom given back to it, if you chose. The injustice done upon you shall be undone. But can do so only and only if we can cast out the usurpers from the throne of Magadh. For this, I need your spears, we shall storm Pataliputra and cast out the traitors who have usurped it. Give me blood and I will give you Justice."

I remember seeing eyes widen and I remember my hair standing up and a shiver through my veins. This was our moment, Senapati Vijayanand would give back that which was taken from us. An injustice would be settled, and the Tamil people would be free.

I recall after that, a man walked forward, "Senapati Vijayanand, I offer you my spear and shield. For the freedom of Chola Nadu, this humble soul is ready to give the ultimate sacrifice." He walked up to Vijayanand and joined the lankan soldiers standing behind him. After that, I remember, that of the six thousand who had assembled that night, no less than four thousand came forward and I was one of them.

Today I sail on board a Lankan ship, in a matter of a few days, we shall land on the shores of Vanga, from there we shall have our tryst with destiny on the banks of the Ganga. Freedom and justice await at the gates of Pataliputra.

Link to video.

The years had not been kind to him, his sailor's physique now forgotten in the pages of the past, his head was bald except for the tiki on the back of his head. The months after Samrat Hala's death had been the worst for him, when he seemed to have aged a year in that span of one month. It was as if an illness had gripped him, making his limbs thin. The thick eyebrows and mustache contrasted oddly with this aging physique. Now approaching his eightieth year on this world, Katrikeya appeared half a ghost.

Mahamatya Kartikeya would often roam the gardens of the palace when he was tensed. Since he came to know of Samrat Puttalaka's deal with the Lankan king, he could be found walking the gardens every evening. There was much and more to be worried about. He twirled his mustache as the thoughts raced past him, 'Has Raja Abhaya joined the rebel faction ? but how is this possible.. and why ?' he walked through the garden of the palace, shaded by tall ashoka trees and gulmohor trees. The paths of the gardens were littered with fallen flowers, yet for all its beauties, the gardens did little to assuage the prime minister.

'Vijayanand and Niyogi were never going to be found in the North, but has he gone to the South instead ?.. and raja Abhaya would help him..'

Kartikeya paused for a moment sighting a man running across the other end of the garden towards him. He looked as if he were a messenger. "Mahamatya ! Mahamatya!" he yelled as he ran towards Kartikeya. Soon his appearance was clearer, not only was this man a messenger, he was the messenger Siddhanta, one of Kartikeya's trusted spies.

"Siddhanta!" Kartikeya exclaimed, "What news have you brought?"
"not one news Mahamatya, but many." the messenger spoke. He brought out three rolled parchments from his pouch.
"These are three messages, one from Gandhar, one from Parasika, and one from Kanchipuram. My lord,.." Siddhanta smiled, then spoke in a hushed voice, "King Tiridates has disappeared, and the Army of Magadh has been sent away from Herat."
Kartikeya's eyes widened and a wide grin appeared on his face, he couldn't have hoped for better news. "This is very good news Siddhanta. Now, what is the news from Kanchipuram ?"
The messenger's expression suddenly changed from satisfaction to one of confusion, "The news from Kanchipuram.. is somewhat strange. It would seem many of the spearmen who were garrisoned at Kanchipuram have deserted overnight. Almost three thousand soldiers are unaccounted for."
Kartikeya's face went pale, 'This is not right..' "How many days till the Lankan navy arrives at Pataliputra?'
"Arya.. from what I learnt, they should be arriving in no less than three days."
"We must warn the Samrat immediately." 'that fool!'

Kartikeya nearly dropped the scrolls from his hands, leaving Siddhanta to pick it up. Kartikeya walked at a brisk pace out of the gardens. He first went to the throne room but could not find him, then he went to the training arena where the emperor would practice his skills with the sword, but he was not there either. After an hour's searching, he found the emperor with three concubines in his pleasure chamber.

Kartikeya was disgusted by what he saw, 'while conspirators plan on usurping the throne from him, this fool wastes his time pleasuring with women !' 'Samrat !" Kartikeya shouted out in a stern voice, that broke the samrat's trance. "What !" the emperor replied, annoyed.
"I implore you, send away the Lankan ships."
Samrat Puttalaka stared at Kartikeya disapprovingly, "And why should I do that ?"
Kartikeya sharpened his gaze, "Vijayanand and Niyogi are coming with the lankan army and a section of the Cholan garrison."
For a moment Samrat Puttalaka seemed stunned, he looked incredulously at Kartikeya, before bursting out in a fit of laughter, "Hhahahhaha ! Mahamatya Kartikey, you yourself had said that the vigilantes are at the North West, then how can someone travel between Gandhar and Kanchipuram in so short a time ? And Raja Abhaya.. You suspect him ?"

Puttalaka stood up and walked up to Kartikeya, he put his hand on the Amatya's shoulders and spoke, "Have some rest Kartikeya. You are perhaps tired."
'By Krishna, this man is impossible !' "I am not tired !" he ordered Siddhanta to hand over the scrolls to the Samrat, "you can see for yourself. Three nights ago, nearly half the garrison of Kanchipuram has disappeared. This was shortly after the arrival of the Lankan navy near Kanchipuram."
Samrat Puttalaka was intrigued by this, "hmm.. this is quite troubling indeed. I will look into it."
"There is nothing to look into Samrat, call off the Lankan navy immediately ! Send a messenger by boat to intercept the Lankan navy and send Raja Abhaya away!"
Samrat Puttalaka had now become angry "I will do no such thing Mahamatya!" he pointed a finger at the prime minister, "Don't presume to command me Kartikeya. I am still Samrat, not you!" "No begone! Leave me to my pleasure." the samrat went back into the lap of his concubines.

Kartikeya had never felt so insulted as he did that exact moment. He struggled to hide his anger, but his quivering arms gave belied his efforts. 'This man is lost, .. if indeed it is Vijayanand and Niyogi who are coming with the army of Lanka and the garrison of Kanchipuram have added their strength to his, then we might as well count the days before Puttalaka's reign ends.' he thought to himself, twirling his mustache, 'I must think of a way to save myself.'

"What do we do now Mahamatya?" Siddhanta asked,
"You may leave now. Tomorrow I will give you fresh instructions."
"Pranam Arya." the messenger left, worried of the uncertain future that awaits. Later in the night Kartikeya seated himself on the cushion in his chamber and contemplated on the messages that had come to him. One by one he read through the messages that had come, beginning with the message from Gandhar.

Samrat Puttalaka ki jay,

As ordered by the esteemed emperor, Samrat Puttalaka, first of his name, the troops of the Army of Magadh have moved from Herat to the South East, towards the province of Gandhar.

We found the militias still controlling the mountain passes connecting the Takshashila to the province of Herat. While the militias often surprised our supply lines and harassed our forces, they were too few and too weak to cause any substantial damage. We have succeeded in driving away the main force of the militias from the region of the pariyatra parvat. The path to Takshashila is now open to us.

With the defeat of the main insurrectionary forces, the remaining forces have dissipated. Some have fled to the hills and taken refuge in the high peaks around Takshashila, whilst other smaller groups continue to conduct raids upon Takshashila and our encampment. These militias are mere peasants with pitchforks, inexperienced in the ways of battle. Within the next two days the Army of Magadh shall arrive at Takshashila. We will continue our sweep of the Northern countryside thereafter.

In Service,

Commander Shravasthi

Spoiler :

Kartikeya seemed neither pleased nor disappointed with that message, though in his mind an unanswered question remained 'What of the Kushans?'

He unrolled the scroll from Parasika, hoping he would get the news he most desired. This message was written by Amatya Martand himself,

Pranam Arya,

The plan that was decided has been set into motion. Tiridates' enemies were disposed off, and now the king himself has been disposed off. It has been conducted in the very manner you had described. No trace of the king will be found, nor can anyone find an assassin to place blame. With his death, the line of Parthian kings has come to an end. However, the nobility in Parasika today is restive, there is talk of an election by which a new king would be chosen. As of now, I have assumed power over the throne of Persia as the viceroy of Parasika, but this cannot last long.

What has prevented the Parasik nobility from revolting against my rule, is the fear of the Kushanas. They hope that the might of Magadh would save them against the wrath of the Kushans. As of now, I can tell you this, that all territories of Kambojadesa have fallen to the Kushanas. All except the town of Herat..."

"Curses!" Kartikeya cursed his luck, 'if only Herat had fallen..' he thought to himself, then continued reading the rest of the message,

"..Before his death Tiridates recruited five thousand archers among Parthians to defend the town, joining their strength with the garrison of Herat."

A force of roughly six thousand defend Herat from behind its stone walls against the full might of Kujula Kadphises' hordes. The latter brings with it siege weapons and a massive catapult. Herat cannot stand on its own, but strangely enough, it seems the Kushan are more keen on plunder than conquest. The Kushans have spread themselves into two smaller armies of fifty thousand each to the North and South of Herat.

In these troubling times, I require the presence of the army of magadh to stave off a potentially deadly crisis in Parasika.

In Service, "

The letter did not end with the traditional greeting, but bore a secret seal of Amatya Martand, which was known only to Mahamatya Kartikeya. The contents of the letter sent Kartikeya into deep thought. He rubbed his chin, and contemplated a reply.

He saw the message from Kanchipuram lying before him, but decided not to open and read it. "We must make use of what we have." he said to himself, before sitting to write a letter in response to Amatya Martand.

Just as he finished writing, a wind blew through a window behind him, blowing out the oil lamps near his writing desk, Kartikeya took this, as an ominous sign.

On the eve of the spring festival, the army of Lanka landed on the shores of the province of Vanga, with them came four thousand spears of Kanchipuram. Before their arrival, a gloom had descended upon the eastern provinces of Vanga, the samrat had announced that there would be no celebrations for this Spring festival in the light of the threat to his throne, a decision that was taken under the influence of the Mahamatya, fearful of the coming of his foes.

Rumors were rife, of the coming of Senapati Vijayanand, but none knew which path he would chose, only that he was returning to Pataliputra. The Samrat and the Mahamatya undertook measures to stem these rumors but with every act they became more and more repressive, adding fuel to the rumors of the exiles' return. Thus, did every move that the Samrat and his Mahamatya end in failure.

The speedy Lankan galleys had transported nearly twelve thousand troops across the length of the Eastern sea, from the isle of Lanka to the shores of Vanga. Over there, the rebel exiles were faced with a dilemma, to reveal or not to reveal themselves ? Senapati Vijayanand stood on the stern of his galley along with Raja Abhaya, looking over the harbor.

"Raja Abhaya, my people await my arrival. Why should I keep hiding ?" Vijayanand asked,
"Patience my friend, good things come to those who wait. You have waited this long, what is another day?"
"It is precisely being so close to our goal, that makes me impatient." Vijayanand leaned on the railings of the galley, "I want this affair to come to an end. I have waited so long, that I cannot wait even a moment longer.."
Raja Abhaya put his hands on Vijayanand's shoulders "You are not the only one who feels so Senapati. Soon after the usurper took over the throne, Dowager empress Lilavati sent me a message informing me of the perfidy that had come to pass. I was reminded then of my filial duties, those formed of the blood ties which Lanka now has with Magadh. Long have I waited for this day to come, that I may redeem my debt to my elder sister. You do not know Senapati, how I have struggled to hide my anger. Each day that the unworthy usurper sits on the throne of Magadh, I felt a thorn on my heart."

Vijayanand looked into Raja Abhaya's eyes, he felt encouraged by him. In these days of exile Raja Abhaya was like a brother to him. Vijayanand had done well to hide the internal conflicts in his mind, though Raja Abhaya had suspected for some time that something was not right with him. He too suppressed it under layers of doubt, but today, before the province of Vanga, he would hide his thoughts no longer. "Raja Abhaya, I must confess something to you." Vijayanand spoke removing Raja Abhaya's hands from his shoulders gently.

With his hands behind his back and his head hung low, Senapati Vijayanand spoke, "It perhaps would not come as a surprise to you, but for long, I have felt conflict within me. I will make no secret of the fact that I do not like this affair, not a single part of it. When Samrat Hala died, I had not wished to take the throne, which would by rights belong to his kin. I had made two oaths in my life, to protect the empire of Magadh, and to protect the Satavahan dynasty that serves it. For the sake of the first oath, I had to sacrifice the second, and so with a heavy weight in my heart, I had decided to assume my position as Samrat. That being the dying wish of my Samrat. For dispensing with my duty, I was imprisoned for treason, awaiting execution. I faced death, with the thought of being a martyr, but that fate was taken away from me, that fiery night when I became an exile with Amatya Niyogi.

I need not tell you of my life in exile, whence I did little but wait and plan my return. When I first heard of the destruction of the North west at the hands of brigands, I felt.. defeated. The defeat, that I could not uphold my first oath, that of protecting the empire of Magadh. I had put my life on the line for it, and I had failed. Now I seek redemption." Vijayanand put his right hand on his heart, "I am an aged man o king, I have felt the life draining out of me. I no longer have the strength to fight. This would be my last."

Raja Abhaya could do little but listen and look, a sorrowful expression was on his face, a realization he had denied was now dawning upon him. "The men look to you Senapati,"
"I would like, you not call me Senapati, Raja Abhaya."
There was a pause, and no words were exchanged, "What do you intend to do..Arya Vijayanand ?"
"I wish to resign. On the throne, I will place the younger son of Empress Lilavati."

Raja Abhaya felt surprised by that proposition, he did not know what to say in response. The people wanted Vijayanand, not a teenage Satavahan prince who had just attained manhood. Though he was the worthier of the two brothers, it was the ministers of Magadh who had elected the presiding monarch, and it is only the ministry who would have the right to elect another Samrat. But where was the ministry ? One of the first things Amatya Kartikeya did was to assume all duties of the ministry into his hands, never since the time Amatya Chanakya had placed Chandragupt Maurya upon the throne of Magadh, had a minister excersized such overwhelming power as did he. Even Chanakya himself would be appalled at the abomination that Kartikeya had concocted.

It was a rule through fear and intrigues, which the people would not accept. His rule was failing and now the time came for its fall. Raja Abhaya only waited for the last leg of the journey when the army of Lanka would land before the walls of Pataliputra.

------------------------

In the memoirs of Vijayanand -

I write this as the last chapter of my memoirs. After this, I shall take my leave of worldly affairs and walk in the footsteps of my mentor joining the Sangh of the Mahabodhi.

At long last the lankan navy has arrived at its destination at the harbor of Pataliputra. It was decided amongst me, Amatya Niyogi and Raja Abhaya, that I would reveal my return as would my compatriot Amatya Niyogi. I could sense nervousness among the troops that had come with us from Lanka, and a fearless enthusiasm from the ranks of Kanchipuram spearmen. I had hoped, that this war could be won without bloodshed, yet that seems no longer possible. We were discovered in Vanga, not long after we had landed. Word spread from the harbor of Tamralipt to the villages of Vanga, and from there to the borders of Magadh. It is not known yet, whether Samrat Puttalaka acted upon this information, or whether our emissary Mahinda was successful in deceiving him. Whatever be the truth, we had to prepare for the worst.

And so we drew our battle plans. The Tamil warriors be on the front ranks of our assault, the Lankan archers would support them from the rear. The swords and spears of Lanka, who are only novices, will act as auxiliary. From reports we have acquired, it seems that Samrat Puttalaka in his arrogance and ignorance has stationed only one division of archers to defend Pataliputra. Some of these are from among the people of Magadh itself. I consider this a fatal mistake, but one which expected from the likes of Puttalaka.

Once the news of our coming reach their ears, they are sure to revolt. In that event, our charge against them would be made easier. Perhaps, we may not have to spare a single life in this attack. I would pray for it to be so, if the gods are kind to me, then I shan't have to bear another taint upon my honor. If they are not, then I shall strive for a martyr's death.

I can only hope, in that unfortunate event, that Raja Abhaya would do his best, to keep his word and fulfill my final wish. The fate of Magadh, lo the fate of Bharat stands on the brink, and our actions here will determine the future. In five hour's time, begins the battle for the fate of Bharat.

Spoiler :

On the eve of the spring festival, the army of Lanka arrived with Vijayanand and Niyogi before the gates of Pataliputra. In this auspicious time, the fate of Bharat was about to be decided.

News of the exiles' coming had already reached the corridors of power at Pataliputra, but Samrat Puttalaka had chosen to ignore it. "Mere rumors" he said, "rumors spread by a pathetic peasantry with nothing else to do." but the mahamatya had a different approach, "Samrat, there is truth to this rumor, I had forewarned you.."
"Save your paranoia Mahamatya, the army of Lanka shall arrive soon, and the festivities for Raja Abhaya have been arranged. But where is Mahinda ?"
'Gone far far away, beyond your reach.. my samrat' "Perhaps you should find out"

Puttalaka and Kartikeya stood upon the South facing balcony of the third level of the palace, from here one could see the river Ganga and Son meandering beside the city walls of the Pataliputra. "look Mahamatya, our allies cometh!" from the distance, the sails of the lankan galleys could be seen. As they came closer, the sails became bigger and the insignia upon them became visible, a roaring lion carrying a sword in one hand, upon a field of blue.

A dozen galleys passed by, thereafter dozens more, all of one hundred galleys sailed over the Ganga and across the horizon. "A hundred ships ! What a sight to behold !" Samrat Puttalaka exclaimed,
'a sight that will be your death soon ! .. unless Siyamak has done his work' "Pardon me Samrat, but there is a task I must attend to."
Puttalaka looked at Kartikeya incredulously, "Go then, if you find Mahinda tell him to see me."
'He is not here you idiot !' the thought came so forcefully, Kartikeya had to struggle hard to keep it down, of late Kartikeya was become increasingly weary of Puttalaka's foolishness, but he had long since prepared for the endgame.

Kartikeya walked as fast as his aging limbs could take him. It took more effort than expected to walk back to his chambers from the upper levels of the palace, but he was determined. After nearly an hour's walk he came to the garden, waiting for him, were his most trusted spies, guptachr Siyamak and Siddhanta, "The captives have been secure mahamatya"
"Good work, take me to them."

The trio walked across the gardens, and beyond the palace grounds, into the stables where a hidden door was opened in a corner. The hidden door led to a hitherto secret prison chamber underneath the palace. A thin spiral staircase led to the singular isolated chamber. It is said that Bimbisar was tortured to death here, some others say it was constructed by Samrat Pulovami to torture his rival lords from Avanti. No one knows the exact story of the dungeon, but it was a sinister place.

Since the escape of the exiles from Pataliputra, the dowager empress Lilavati and her younger son had stayed aloof and out of sight. The empress would spend most of her time alone in the palace gardens reading books and feeding birds. She took care to keep her son Prince Purindrasena out of harm's way, It was perhaps for the best that Puttalaka never bothered to be concerned about his immediate family. if anything, he preferred the Satavahan line would remain intact, his Prime minister however, did not share those sentiments.

Fifty steps down the spire, one would reach the hidden dungeon. Kartikeya walked with his spies, with Siddhanta holding a torch walking before them. There Kartikeya saw to his satisfaction, the dowager empress sitting on the cold hard ground bound and gagged. Beside her was her son Purindrasena. Unbeknownst to Puttalaka, the Mahamatya had stealthily secured the dowager empress and her son the night before the Lankan navy would arrive. As far as the clueless emperor was concerned, his mother had gone on a spiritual voyage with his son to the city of Kashi.

"Pranam devi" the minister bowed and greeted sarcastically, "Your brother it seems, has arrived. The time has come to fulfill your purpose. In time, you will forgive me and know the necessity of such unsavory actions… In time."

The empress only responded with sullen silence and turned her face away.

"Listen" Kartikeya said turning to his spies,"Soon enough, the truth will be known. Puttalaka will hyper react. When I give you the signal, you are to move to the second phase of our plan. You must have the queen ready for that moment."
"Yours will be done my lord" Siyamak bowed in agreement,

--------------------------------------

News of Vijayanand's return had spread through the city of Pataliputra, when the lankan ships were seen nearing the harbor, the ecstatic citizenry of Pataliputra came out in the hundreds to greet their liberator. Cheers went out, "Samrat Vijayanand ki Jai! Samrat Vijayanand ki Jai !" The garrison troops standing on the walls of Pataliputra, could see the sight before them, but their ears and mind did not seem to agree.

Then, the exiles disembarked with hundreds of Lankan troops behind them. Hundreds more came out of the galleys, spearmen, archers, and swordsmen. But there were some who were not Lankan, they wore the armor of the armed forces of the empire of Magadh and bore the lion seal. Three thousand spearmen from Kanchipuram, it was no rumor then, the exiles had indeed returned to take overthrow the usurper king Puttalaka. A messenger rode frantically through the city on horseback, making his way to the palace, for the emperor must be warned.

"Samrat ! Samrat !" he screamed, as he ran to the palace gates, when faced with the palace guards he pleaded "It is an emergency, I must speak with the Samrat, the enemy is upon us ! The enemy is upon us !"

Puttalaka prepared for a grand feast, not for a battle, even less so for a palace coup ! When the messenger finally managed to find the emperor, the samrat was at the throne room, seated upon the lion throne, even as the enemy was at the gates. "What ?!" Samrat Puttalaka exclaimed in anger, "What is this you tell me ?"
"It is true Samrat, Vijayanand, I saw him with mine own two eyes. The townsmen at the harbor were cheering his name. Beside him, I saw Niyogi and the Raja of Lanka."
The world around Samrat Puttalaka seemed to be spinning out of control, he could not believe what he was hearing, he found it hard to believe that he had been betrayed so brazenly. In this time the only person could call to was the Mahamatya "Mahamatya ! Mahamatya!" he yelled out, his voice echoing through the halls of the palace.

"Mahamatya !" he shouted as hard as he could,
"Samrat", Kartikeya answered in a soft tone,
"Mahamatya.. a calamity is upon us. What is this I am hearing …"
"That the exiles have returned with Raja Abhaya's army ? And that they have landed at the harbor and by now would be at the gates ?"
"You knew .. this whole time! And you didn't tell me!"
"I did tell you samrat, but you would not believe me. I ask now, where is your friend Emissary Mahinda ?"

The emperor was overwhelmed with shame and fear, he fell to the ground, and began to weep. "Please… please save me Mahamatya save me.."
"For that you must go with Siyamak" Katrikeya pointed to a spearman clad in armor, it was Siyamak in disguise, "He will take you to safety."
"But .. what of the enemy ?"
"You need not worry samrat, I shall deal with them."

Senapati Vijayanand had successfully landed at the harbor and passed well into the South Eastern gate. The garrison troops were confused, the new recruits knew nothing of the Senapati, and the old troops were still loyal to Vijayanand. The Lankan army moved in without opposition, "So far so good, " Vijayanand thought to himself, "No blood has been shed… yet … " The townsfolk came out to watch the Lankan army and Senapati Vijayanand marching before them. It was an army composed entirely of foot soldiers, there was none on horseback and no siege equipment.

Raja Abhaya followed Vijayanand who in turn was followed by Niyogi. Vijayanand marched with the spears of Kanchipuram. The solders and citizenry chanted his name as he marched forward. In a trickle the garrison troops were leaving their posts and laying down their weapons to join the Senapati. At a crossroad, Vijayanand stood over a raised platform from where he could address the crowds.

"Citizens of Pataliputr ! The dark days of suffering under the misrule of Puttalaka, are at an end ! I bring to you liberation and I bring to you justice ! To those soldiers who still stand upon the walls, I tell thee, dispel your confusions ! Destiny has thrown open two paths before you, one which leads to disaster, and the other which leads to our salvation, and rebirth. I stand here and offer to guide you through the latter path. Join me and embrace a bright future for Bharat. "

A crowd of four thousand had gathered before him at that crossroad, aside from the soldiers who marched with him, there were a thousand more who joined in after hearing his speech. These were soldiers from the garrison of Pataliputra who came chanting "Samrat Vijayanand ki Jai! Samrat Vijayanand ki Jai!"

"My fellow citizens !" Vijayanand spoke again, "I am but a guide to your destiny, but I am not the goal. The reins of Magadh have been held for two hundred years by the descendants of the Satavahan dynasty. For two hundred years, they have held this great nation of Bharat as a united realm, their scions deserve the honor their ancestors had bestowed upon them. After Samrat Puttalaka, there must only be another Satavahan on the lion throne of Magadh."

A stunned silence lay over the crowds, some seemed to be in shock others seem to be in agreement, then a lone voice emerged from the crowds, "You are our only Samrat Arya Vijayanand, Samrat Vijayanand ki jai !" , then one by one, dozen by dozen then by the hundreds, people echoed that lone voice. "Samrat Vijayanand.. Samrat Vijayanand" , Vijayanand's mind was overwhelmed by the cheers, 'No.. I must not give into the temptation,' he thought to himself, "My life is dedicated to the Satavahan dynasty as much as it is to Bharat! I shall not take Purindrasen's birthright from him!"

The chants fell silent, then other voices emerged, "Senapati Vijayanand ki jai ! Satavahan vangsh ki jai !" this was the new chant that every one seemed to repeat. Four hundred more soldiers defected.

While Vijayanand rallied the people and troops of Pataliputra behind him, Mahamatya Kartikeya was putting his schemes into motion. Samrat Puttalaka followed Siyamak diligently, across the garden and then to the stables, from there Siyamak opened the hidden door.
"In here Samrat, quickly", Siyamak led on the emperor to the secret dungeon,
"Yes .. yes" Puttalaka entered unhesitating, not knowing what lay before him. Still surprised by the existence of such a hidden chamber in such an unassuming corner of the palace, he walked with cautious steps following Siyamak down the spiral steps.

Puttalaka walked down fifty steps, nearly stumbling down on the last step. "In here Samrat, no one shall find you here. You will be safe" Siyamak said leading him to a dungeon,
"So dark.. wait I can hear something" Puttalaka could hear the faint sounds of a muffled grunt, "Siyama…" before he could finish calling his name out, Siyamak had attacked the emperor with his spear point thrusting it through his throat. The Samrat fell, blood gushing out of his severed throat. With one final strike, Siyamak thrust his spear into the dead emperor's skull, ensuring the latter's death.

The muffled moans became louder and louder, till it almost sounded like a woman's wail. Empress Lilavati and her son remained bound and gagged in their dark dungeon cell, but Kartikeya had them blindfolded as well. Lilavati could not witness the murder of her own son. "Come, we have work to do." Siyamak opened the iron gates of the dungeon and took Lilavati from prison leaving Purindrasen behind.

Kartikeya stood above the palace gates, atop the watch tower, his gaze firmly on the elegant Torana gateway. He had instructed the captain of the guards to concentrate every troop of the garrison around the palace. The palace had not seen so many troops on its ground since the peasant's rebellion in Pataliputra. All in all, two thousand five hundred troops were mustered for the defense of the palace grounds.
"How many troops are approaching ?" Kartikeya asked,
"Over twelve thousand Mahamatya." the captain replied,
"We are outnumbered.. but we have something they don't."

From the distance, he could see banners, saffron, red, blue and gold. The banners of the lankan army and of the garrison of Kanchipuram, and some of the garrison troops of Pataliputra. Troops who had defected to the exiled Senapati. "Senapati Vijayanand ki Jai!" the chants could be heard from a far, faint with the fell wind that blew from the north. "Senapati Vijayanand ki Jai! Senapati Vijayanand ki Jai!" the chants became louder and louder.

Five hundred more archers were deployed in the outer defenses of the palace ground. All of them facing North, for the enemy came through the lanes of the city. Pataliputra had prepared for festivities, and the citizenry found a cause for celebration. But soon, streets littered with color and flowers would be reddened with blood. Vijayanand came before the army, he noticed the troops defending the palace, and the gates of the Torana closed and sealed.

Vijayanand called out, "Samrat Puttalaka ! Come out ! Surrender peacefully and there will be no bloodshed !"
Mahamatya Kartikeya stepped forward, "Samrat Puttalaka !" Vijayanand called out once again,
"Vijayanand !" Kartikeya called, "It is I Kartikeya!"
"Where is the Samrat !"
"I speak with his authority. I want Raja Abhaya to come forth !"
"You will speak with me Kartikeya !"
Kartikeya ordered the captive Lilavati to be brought forth.
"Tell Raja Abhaya his sister is our hostage!"

Vijayanand could not believe his eyes, as much as Raja Abhaya could not believe his ears. The dowager empress Lilavati was shown before them, bound and gagged, a hostage to Kartikeya. "No.. this can't be happening..." Raja Abhaya said disbelieving the sight before him. The exiles were flustered at the sight, it would seem the cunning amatya had outdone them all. Just then, Kartikeya threw another surprise their way. Beside the empress, a young boy not older than thirteen years of age, was brought before the troops, similarly restrained.
"Behold" said Kartikeya, "Prince Purindrasen!"

The city was all but taken by Vijayanand's forces, yet the palace grounds were held by Kartikeya's loyalists. Raja Abhaya would not move risking the life of his sister, neither would Vijayanand allow harm to come to Prince Purindrasen and the dowager empress. Kartikeya had the tactical advantage, but had lost the city. The Lankan navy had blocked the riverine route to Pataliputra, though the land route was open, it would take over two days for the nearest garrison troops at Kashi to reach the city. Kartikeya could only count the days before he would starve to death, and his soldiers would abandon him, but would the future of Magadh survive ?

In the diary of William Sayer : -

The first century of this world, was a time of tumult. I had always read the history of this period with keen interest, but my studies had seldom ventured beyond the intrigues of Rome. Little did I know of the tumult that was going on in the heart of Asia, I sometimes wish I had known, then perhaps I would have been better prepared for the days of tumult that have come to pass in Ancient Pataliputra.

Nearly a century ago, I had made a choice. A choice to save my life, and my office, over the life of my friend. The punishment I had to bear was an eternity of scorn and shame from the woman who had been a dear friend. Long have I sought a moment to redeem myself, to overcome the shame of that cowardly decision. Little did I know that my chance would come in a time as difficult and complicated as this.

The final battle of the crisis of succession marked the complexity of the crisis. The city was all but taken by Vijayanand's forces, yet the palace grounds were held by Kartikeya's loyalists. Raja Abhaya would not move risking the life of his sister, neither would Vijayanand allow harm to come to Prince Purindrasen and the dowager empress. Kartikeya had the tactical advantage, but had lost the city. The Lankan navy had blocked the riverine route to Pataliputra, though the land route was open, it would take over two days for the nearest garrison troops at Kashi to reach the city. Kartikeya could only count the days before he would starve to death, and his soldiers would abandon him.

Four hours had passed since the coming of the rebels with no solution in sight. In the rebel camp, a frantic discussion was taking place on how to breach this deadlock. I was in the palace complex, in my chambers, I could see the dastardly trick that Kartikeya had pulled imprisoning the dowager empress and the younger prince. I would be in a position to strike, but I was no warrior ..but Nicholas was.

For over a month since the exiles had made their escape from Pataliputra amidst the chaos of the mutiny, Nicholas Bionat remained in hiding in the forests near Pataliputra. His band of followers acquired infamy as bandits harassing tax collectors and the law enforcers. They would travel from place to place, but their favorite haunt were the forbidden forests East of the city. It helped that people believed angry spirits of fallen nobles haunted these forests. Thankfully, I wasn't going to be scared of a few ghosts.

I pleaded with Mahamatya Kartikeya to let me out and talk with Vijayanand and Raja Abhaya. He was reluctant at first, but relented eventually. It became clear that the enemy forces would not retreat. I used the opportunity to treat with the exiles and the Lankan king.

In Rome, my indecisiveness cost the life of my friend, I would not be indecisive today. Puttalaka was an incompetent king, I had not seen such a moron on the throne of India. Though I imagine the fool king Udayabhadra was something like that. Vijayanand and Niyogi were honorable men, and I admired Vijayanand's skills both as a military leader and a diplomat. I would rather have him as my king, even if he would refuse, I would prefer the adolescent Purindrasen over the fool that sat the throne now. Most of all, I was tiring of Kartikeya's intrigues and cruelties. How shameless was this man, who could restrain the dowager empress, and so shamelessly use her as a tool !

I had to free her from this captivity, then this deadlock would end. I met with the rebel leaders, Vijayanand, Niyogi and the Raja of Lanka. I made it known to them, that I was an ally, with their help, I sneaked out of the city. It took an hour's ride on horseback to arrive at the forest. I remember shouting out "Nicholas! Nicholas!" the sun was setting and the forest had started to darken. Strange animal noises would come out, which I swear could unnerve the bravest of people, but I would not leave till I found nicholas.

He announced his coming in the most uncanny manner possible. At first I heard only the wind and the bristling leaves of the forest. Before I knew it, I could see an arrow pointed at my face and two swords at my neck, one of the swordsmen asked in a dark voice, "friend or foe?" then a familiar voice sounded from behind with an accent that was distinctly Russian, "Friend!" he exclaimed.

And there I had found him, much like I had the first time.. over four hundred years ago, in a forest wielding his weapon of mass destruction. I explained the situation at the palace of Pataliputra to him. His first reaction was understandable, he burst into laughter, he always did have a dark sense of humor. I finally went about explaining the details of what the mission would require, sneak into the palace of Pataliputra, secure the dowager empress and the crown prince, bring them safely to the lankan army encampment. At the end, I think it was more the challenge of the mission than the justice of the cause that made him accept the task.

I returned to the exiles and told them of my plans. It was ambitious and risky, but if anyone could do it, it was Nicholas. At night, the immortal warrior would pounce. I don't think Kartikeya expected me to pull off a move like this, for the most part, the new regime ignored me. In retrospect, it was for the better. At their camp, it was Amatya Niyogi's idea that I give a deliberately false piece of information to Kartikeya. The Lankan army would leave at dawn, but not Vijayanand or Niyogi. The men were restive and impatient, the hot humid night didn't make matters better, but they would wait, at least till midnight.

As planned, Nicholas and his troops struck at midnight, when the guards were weary and the darkness of the night could let them hide in the shadows. Nicholas had succeeded some time back in fashioning a silencer for his AK-47, with that he could strike silently against his foes. A dozen of his men snuck in to the palace through a hidden route which went under the walls, they succeeded in taking out a few of the guards and took their clothing. They blended in perfectly. The operation went smoothly at the start, till they reached the holding pen with the captive nobles, but the hectic troop movements and frantic screams I heard later on, suggested that the element of surprise had been compromised. My heart raced, thoughts of failure of the mission and the consequences that would follow, frightened the life out of me. I would not want to suffer Kartikeya's wrath, no one in his right mind would.

Thankfully, I did not have to worry about it. The mission was a success, but it took a fair bit of fighting and the deaths of many guards and two of Nichoals' warriors to make it so. No sooner than the nobles had been secured, the exiles prepared for the endgame. The Lankan army and the spears from Kanchipuram prepared for the final assault on the palace.

Kartikeya's loyalists put up a stiff fight, the defenses of the palace were hard to breach, that task was made harder by the rebel's absence of siege weaponry. Nevertheless, they fought hard, and won. Twelve thousand troops overwhelmed the defenses that kartikeya had set up, but it wasn't easy for the attackers. The Kanchipuram troops led the assault, and took the hardest hit, followed by divisions of archers and swords from Lanka. The fighting must have been fierce, I was in my chambers and remembered only the sounds of screams and chaos that filled the night. After three hours of fighting, the last of the defending archers gave way and Vijayanand and his army had breached the palace.

In the morning, the ferocity of the fighting had become clear. The palace grounds were littered with the bodies of the dead. Sporadic fighting went on well into the dawn across the palace. Not even the gardens and temple grounds were spared the defilement.

I do not know what Kartikeya was doing at the time of battle, but my suspicion is that at some point of time in the midst of the battle, he fled with his spies. There were frantic searches across the palace and throughout the city, but there was not a trace of the minister. The mastermind had escaped and was at large.

When the heat of battle subsided, Vijayanand and his followers, the dowager empress and the crown prince, who would now most likely become emperor, rested and took stock of things as they were. The sight of dead bodies littered across the palace grounds and the destruction caused to this most beautiful of palaces saddened Vijayanand. He wanted a bloodless victory, but fate would not allow it. Later in the day, Raja Abhaya came to me and expressed his gratitude, in truth it was Nicholas that deserves half the praise, but where was he ? perhaps we will meet again, perhaps not. I for one, would content myself with having redeemed my lost honor at Pataliputra.

Amazing! Luckily we had the Chola Spears to help us. That's what happens when you treat the Cholas as a colony, they turn against you ;)

It was a great Game of Thrones this succession crisis. Congratulations to you KartikeyaKing, it wasn't easy to come up with the plan to win this crisis. Your plans in the north gave us a load of headaches, and completely changed our course of action. Luckily we still had time to rethink on our maneuvers, because if not I'm sure we would have stumbled upon some rebels or kushans in the way to Pataliputra.

Although I loved this period, I hope we can have some longlasting peace so we can rebuild our crippled economy.

@Spirictum - Thanks for the compliments :) . Though this part of the story was mostly inspired by the tv show Chanakya.

The next update will deal with the formation of the new ministry and the coronation of the new king I will start making appointments and taking applications from tomorrow onwards. There is also the picture for the final update.

Funny how you think you have won this easily silly Cholan. You have yet to feel the end of what shall be your darkest times.

The King of Lanka can be considered a Chola? I'm a little lost with all these Indian History related names.

But you didn't take my words carefully KartikeyaKing, it wasn't easy, it was really hard. You probably have no idea how you messed up my initial heroic plans for the revolution, and probably Niyogi's (The Noob) too, although he didn't share his plan with me personally. The last thing that I had thought was to use boats at all, yet the spy reports made us recalculate our course of action because of your dark schemes in the north.

@Spirictum - The people of Lanka are Sinhala, the king of Lanka is a Sinhala king. The Sinhala are originally migrants from Bengal, you could almost consider them to be bengali. The Cholas are a Tamil royal dynasty, (who have been wiped out in this story). In modern times Sinhala and Tamils hate each other because of a British divide and rule policy, but in ancient times relations between them have largely remained cordial. :)

Top Bottom