France - Nostalgie de la Boue

He wants a FULL republic with NO royal families. Like the USA. Also, if there is a king, then it's a constitutional monarchy and not a republic.

No, England is a full-blown democracy with a royal family. France, in this game, is as democratic as can be. The royal family has very little influence compared to the elected.

Then, I suppose the army is professional and not levitary or mercenary.

I'd say for the most part the army is professional, but mercenary and levitary would definitely not be out of place! Mercenaries being hired for small campaigns, or levy troops being recruited by government officials to protect against bandits, etc.

May I ask, what year is it in game? Also, is the tech line on par or somehow skewed with the IRL timeline.

1760, with stories now and then expanding on the backstory.

Technology is not that far scewed, thanks to Leoreths' excellent SVN updates. France just discovered Steam Power, Rifling is being worked on, military tradition has yet to be invested in, and France has democracy.

Çatin Pierre Martin

Bio: Çatin is a young french soldier. Coming from a highly religious poor family, he proved to be a very smart person. With some help of a distant relative, who is highly ranked military official, he managed his own way in the french army. He may start low ranked, but he is ambitious and would struggle to go up in military hierarchy. He is highly interested in politics, although he mostly express his thoughts in his personal diary.

No, England is a full-blown democracy with a royal family. France, in this game, is as democratic as can be. The royal family has very little influence compared to the elected.

I'm not saying how democratic France is I'm talking about a republic. A nation can be the most democratic nation in the world but if it has a royal family, then it is not a republic. Here is a Wikipedia definition:

The definition of a republic is commonly limited to a government which excludes a monarch

Aww, no Pamplemousse? :p

Jacques Pamplemousse was born in 1829, and his father Jean-Paul was born in 1801, so the Pamplemousses that already have a personality all haven't been born yet. And the Pamplemousses before Jean-Paul are all just poor folks, and Jean-Paul probably won't rise to wealth without the existence of a slave trade.

Lady Natalia Bluche

Natalia was born into a line of powerful women. Her great great grandmother was a powerful adviser to the Spanish royal family. Her family moved to France in Orleans when she was seven with her mother and father. Her mother became a powerful politician and helped get Natalia into the lime light at a younger age. When she was 21 she married a nobleman but he died from a disease only three years later. She now travels the country side, looking for work. She was always the best fighter in her town in Spain and he neighborhood in France. Her skills with weapons are unmatched so she now works as an assassin or mercenary for anyone who needs it, as no one expects a woman. Though she looks poor and weak, her word is highly respected and she is both wealthy and powerful, she was even knighted by France after saving a member of the royal family from highwaymen. She prefers to stay inconspicuous though and not have people know who she is.

I'm not saying how democratic France is I'm talking about a republic. A nation can be the most democratic nation in the world but if it has a royal family, then it is not a republic. Here is a Wikipedia definition:

You're taking the quote out of context. A republic with a royal family that has almost no power is a republic. Look at England, again. Why are you even arguing this; I'm the author.

Marta Valadina

Marta is the only daughter of her italian parents, who settled around Calais. Her father, a rich merchant who has business in the New World, helped her to rose into prominence in the local politics and she soon showed her abilities for administration and intrigue. After her parents death, they died on a boat which sunk coming back from Quebec, she inherited her father business and money, along with his appointment as future mayor of Calais. After she completed her ternure as mayoress(?) of Calais, she is regarded as one of the most powerful women of France. And is important to remember that she, Marta Valadina, is a unmarried young lady with only 22 years old and brilliant skills for administration and intrigue, what the future holds for her is, at least, interesting...

Just for the record, Proulx is 26 years old and was born on September 24, 1734.

You're taking the quote out of context. A republic with a royal family that has almost no power is a republic. Look at England, again. Why are you even arguing this; I'm the author.

Bad example. England is a Constitutional Monarchy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliamentary_system
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Form_of_government_parliament_2015.png

Also, the definition of a republic:

https://www.google.com/search?q=the...rome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Chapter One: Democracy a la Mode

Fair Dalliance with the River Folk

Bonjour! I am La Narrator, and I will tell you more about myself in a moment but -- first, let me peak your interest by telling you the Tale of France. "Viva la France!" they used to shout. "Viva la Différence!" they would shout to celebrate two different types of people. But now the world is crumbled, destroyed, polluted and divided!

Voila:

Spoiler :

And that is the pièce de résistance of town.

See, the world is not a good place anymore. Look at me! Blind in one eye and hopelessly addicted to opiates. Your Narrator wishes to tell you of how we got here. Let me start off at the peak of the French Republic, right after His Majesty Louis XV abolished the constitutional powers of the famille royale and installed a national assembly composed of local representatives and the Conseil des Ministres, composed of high ranking Protestant politicians. The year is 1760. It was a crossroads for French history. France's stability was dwindling due to recent political unrest, unstable neighbors, and rapid expansion. The economy, although better than the economic crashes in the decades before, was stagnating. France was an economic monopoly, with French merchants bringing in mountains of wealth from colonies far and wide. As France's Andean and Mexican colonies began to collapse, so did France's monetary system. When Louis XV finally reformed the mercantile system into a modern free market, liberalism and innovative ideas flooded the country but the economy never returned to its former glory.

At that time, some revolutionary movements were growing as Louis XV's extreme popularity clashed with his democratic reforms. There were pro-royalists, anti-royalists, conservatives and liberals, anti-church and pro-church, and most importantly, nobles and those who no longer recognized nobles. Paris, the capital of the Protestants, the city that stood up to the Vatican and told them "enough is enough!" was so successful in converting the world to protestantism, that there are only two Catholic nations left: Spain, and the Congolese territory. Nearly 40% of the world is Protestant. France still has blood on its hands from the prosecution of Catholics from Northern France, who eventually would settle in French Guiyana; there is strong resistance there, and strong prejudice.

The military is in flux. There is strong argument over whether nobles should still be acknowledged, and the mess of the French armies were made up of mercenaries, nobles, and standing army. The King still had control over the armies, although he no longer had control of the government. The Native attacks in the Louisiana Territory during Louis XV's reforms left tens of thousands of Frenchmen dead, and drew attention to His Majesty's faults, and the declining military power of France, and the rising instability of the republic. Currently, France has military campaigns in Southeast Asia, skirmishes with pirates around the world, stations in Mexico to prevent it from collapsing, and England's colonies are beginning to get aggressive next to the New French territory (which extend from Minneapolis to New Orleans).

But enough of my nostalgie! Let me tell you a tale of one day in the life of His Majesty, Louis XV, on a summer day in 1760

------------------------------------------------------------
Bordeaux, France

(Suggested music below)
Spoiler :

Under the guise of a commoner, I hope to find my nation's true sentiment towards affairs. Although I am revered as a God, and held high constitutional authority, I have given the reins to the chariot completely to the people. Now my only duties are overseeing military success, holding cultural events, raising a son, and giving speeches now and then.

No better way can I think of finding my nation's true sentiment, then by starting at the blacksmith's.

(1/4 Complete! Will be finished tomorrow! Also, feel free to message RT if you want anything to be included in the story)

Jean-Luc Boisson

Born: November 13, 1718
Bio: Son of a French soldier and a native american woman, Jean-Luc Boisson is a born and raised resident of French Louisiana. A master tracker and woodsman, he spends most of his time in the unclaimed wilderness, and has close ties to various tribes throughout the region due to trade. He often serves as a guide, trader or even mercenary to those willing to brave the wilds of the new world.

Jean-Luc Boisson

Born: November 13, 1718
Bio: Son of a French soldier and a native american woman, Jean-Luc Boisson is a born and raised resident of French Louisiana. A master tracker and woodsman, he spends most of his time in the unclaimed wilderness, and has close ties to various tribes throughout the region due to trade. He often serves as a guide, trader or even mercenary to those willing to brave the wilds of the new world.

Yes!!! A fellow MTG player!

Also, my character:
Reynauld de Fitte
[picture will come later]
Born: March 3, 1733
Bio: Son of a former nobleman, Reynauld de Fitte turned his family's wealth towards studying the sciences, particularly chemistry. This studying got him several contacts in the government, allowing him to work in the science department. He strongly supports funding for the sciences. While he is not one for political intrigues, he has been slowly creeping towards that area in an attempt to preserve proper science priorities and funding.

Nice! I'll be watching.

Catholic Oppression Still Exists Even Thought We Were Promised Freedom and Equality​

Even thought Democracy was established and the words freedom and equality were said by many politicians, they were not achieved. Even thought we were promised the freedom to practice a religion and the protestants could only "encourage" people to become Protestants thorough "peaceful" ways, we see that principle being ignored and the French Government is oppressing Catholics and ignoring there rights and acting like it's still the dark ages. We see that happening in South America which is filled with Catholics. We heard that Catholic Church are burned which are blamed by the natives, Catholics are forced to become Protestants by using many old medieval torture devices like the branding iron, The Spanish Tickler, The Breast Ripper, The Saw and the Spanish boot which are later blamed by another catholic by asking some people who don't like the Catholics become witnesses . They are also heavily restricted from voting and they use many methods like the "Voters Knowledge Test" and ask the hardest questions they can to discourage Catholics to vote. They are also segregated and provided a very bad quality of service. They are also restricted from going to schools by putting an Entrance Test which are taken hard on Catholics. Catholics are also barred from holding a position by making up millions of scandals to prevent people from voting for them. We went and talked to 3 Catholics and asked them these questions:

"Were you punished to become a Protestant?"

Answers: "Yes"

"What torture devices were used on you?"

Answer 1: "The Saw, Heretic's fork and the Spanish Boot"
Answer 2: "The Branding Iron, Foot press and the Heretic's fork"
Answer 3: "Iron maiden, Foot screw and the Brodequin"

"Were You ever blamed of torturing other Catholics?"

Answer 1: "Yes"
Answer 2: "Yes"
Answer 3: "No"

"How were you punished when you were blamed?"

Answer 1: "They used the Branding Iron to write on my body: I will not torture anyone again."
Answer 2: "I had to wear the Heretics Fork for one week and I was protected by guards so I wouldn't remove it. every time I removed would equal 2 days more of punishment."

"Were you able to vote?"

Answers: "No"

"How Many questions were asked when you wanted to vote? Can you also say the question that lead to your disqualification?"

Answer 1: "1, How many representatives does France have? Write their districts and their name. Any mistake in spelling would automatically disqualify you."
Answer 2: "2, Name every king and their every sons and daughters with the kings wife and her daughters and sons wives and husbands. Any mistake in spelling would automatically disqualify you"
Answer 3: "3, Name every French city described by the French Government. Any mistake in spelling would automatically disqualify you"

As you could see, even thought we were promised freedom and equality, we are still seeing Catholics being subject to brutal punishments and they being denied any good services or any service at all. Only time will tell when will they top these actions.

OOC: VGL, you do realize that the author has not stated that there is such a major social problem as the oppression of a minority, and that you can't create a social problem that major just to satisfy your need to have a revolutionary character?

Top Bottom