If I understood that correctly, we only need to use the alternative .exe file and more players can connect using direct IP?

Yes, that should work, but my friends and I use what is listed there as Option A, that way you only need to edit one file in notepad on each computer.

What do you guys use to play EMM or FFH in multiplayer? Do GameRanger or Evolve work better?

All my attempts of playing multiplayer while not being in the same LAN have been met with failure, so I can't help much with this. I've taken note of DarkLunaPhantom's advice just in case we ever try to do this again.

Ticking or unticking the last option in PitBoss map setup (Advanced tactics) causes a python exception (index out of range).

I have created an issue in the tracker in order to fix this problem for the next version. Let me know if there are any other issues :)

How are years tracked in FFH universe if they even exist? References to years are removed from most places in the mod but they pop up in some places like in the wonders tab.

My recollection is that originally each turn represented one year, so you would see "Year 1," etc. in the upper right of your screen. A long time ago Kael changed that so that all we have now is the turn number.

I think part of his reason was that, unlike in regular BtS or a historical mod or scenario, where the dates might mean something, "Year 100" didn't signify anything different from "Turn 100." I guess there's also a little bit of mystery in having each turn represent some indeterminate length of time, I don't know.

Anyway, it's been this way for a long time now.

If you tick BUG option called Wonders tab in BUG Advisors tab then there are years mentioned where "Turn X" is represented as "X AD" as seen here:
Spoiler :

One other place where in normal civ game years are written is the ingame event log. It would be helpful to have turn numbers there instead of nothing like now. (The same thing is with the year in which the city is founded visible in city screen when hovering over city name or in top5 cities tab.)

Also, for civstats.com to be able to properly track turn changes in EMM PitBoss games year is required to be written after game name in PitBoss window, so in lines 56, 260 (and maybe 317 for consistency) in file \PitBoss\PbAdmin.py
Code:
PB.getGamedate()
should be replaced with
Code:
str(CyGame().getGameTurnYear())+" AD"

(In EMM it seems that getGamedate() returns empty string or something like that and getGameTurnYear() returns current turn number.)
I think that format "X BC" or "Y AD" is required for civstats to be able to track turns properly. I've tested it this way and it works normally.

EDIT: Also, PitBoss is considered "active player" in the game instance it is running so all calls getActivePlayer() (and getActiveTeam()) could potentially return python errors. One I found that causes problems is in OOSLogger.py line 34:
Code:
	playername = CvUtil.convertToStr(gc.getPlayer(gc.getGame().getActivePlayer()).getName())
causes python error because PitBoss doesn't have player name attribute so I changed it to:
Code:
	if not CyGame().isPitbossHost():
		playername = CvUtil.convertToStr(gc.getPlayer(gc.getGame().getActivePlayer()).getName())
	else:
		playername = "PitBoss server"
to avoid errors.

EDIT 2: On the last page of PitBoss wizard when choosing map settings, available options don't refresh when another map script is selected from drop-down menu.

EDIT 3: PitBoss crashes every time seemingly at random after playing for 1-15 turns with this message :sad::
Spoiler :

All my attempts of playing multiplayer while not being in the same LAN have been met with failure, so I can't help much with this. I've taken note of DarkLunaPhantom's advice just in case we ever try to do this again.

If you (or anyone else) manage to make it work over the internet, please share the know how. My two friends gave up and persuaded me to play vanilla BTS.

Anyway, been playing some SP Luchuirp games, and I'm seriously thinking Luchuirp need something to speed up their golems. I've found myself increasingly using just Gargoyles and adepts to conquer everybody.

They're cheap, don't require a special building, can be repaired on the road and function perfectly with Garrym Gyr's 2 move adepts. I've had Iron, Clockwork and Nullstone Golems but I always end up leaving them behind because they're too slow. Enough fireballing Gargoyles and you can pummel anything into submission.

That does detract from the enjoyment and goes against the spirit of the civ. Here I am, playing a nation of dwarven craftsmen famous for its golems, can build tons of high tech ones and I'm only using one (arguably most boring) type.

Maybe another building that becomes available later (with engineering or machinery?) that gives golems built in that city additional move?

If you (or anyone else) manage to make it work over the internet, please share the know how.

I managed to connect to a EMM game over the internet using Direct IP option. I didn't really play, I was just testing does it work. But on the other hand, I did connect to a PitBoss and not a game created inside normal civ instance. And EMM PitBoss doesn't really work. I'll let you know when I (un)successfully test Direct IP without PitBoss.

The plan in EitB (which I'm under the impression Terkhen plans to follow, but that's not guaranteed) is to give Golems the Light promotion instead of the Perfect Sight one, with one of their unique buildings available at the mana techs. The only reason this hasn't gone forward is coding issues.

DarkLunaPhantom: Thank you for the reports, and for the solutions! I have created two issues in the tracker, one for the date problems and another one for the pitboss bugs. I will include your changes and address the other problems for 0.5.1, which will be released as soon as possible because of the multiple issues with pitboss.

PitBoss crashes every time seemingly at random after playing for 1-15 turns with this message :sad::

I'm going to check if my automatic testing mode works with pitboss, and I will try to find what is happening. Is the crash only affecting the server, or is it also making clients crash?

The plan in EitB (which I'm under the impression Terkhen plans to follow, but that's not guaranteed) is to give Golems the Light promotion instead of the Perfect Sight one, with one of their unique buildings available at the mana techs. The only reason this hasn't gone forward is coding issues.

I like the idea of having a building which grants Light to golems, although I don't understand the need to take Perfect sight away from them. Light could be granted by a new building, IMO.

I like the idea of having a building which grants Light to golems, although I don't understand the need to take Perfect sight away from them. Light could be granted by a new building, IMO.

A) Mana/Mana tech practicalities and elegance (I can expand on this if needed)
B) EitB doesn't add new buildings :p

Only the server crashes, clients do not crash.

Okay, I will try to reproduce the crash over the weekend... it's likely some Fall from Heaven 2, More Naval AI, and/or ExtraModMod change that makes the pitboss server crash. Probably something in the DLL related to the methods you mentioned (getActivePlayer and family). Let's hope that it's just a single problem and not a myriad of similar problems...

A) Mana/Mana tech practicalities and elegance (I can expand on this if needed)

I did not see anything about this topic at the realms beyond forums (I didn't want to make you do the same work twice), but if you are planning to discuss this topic there in the EitB v13 progress thread at some point I can just follow the discussion when it happens there. My original idea involved more unique Luchuirp buildings; one for each magic sphere "group" (alteration, divination, elementalism, necromancy and if needed another one for metamagic) so I would probably implement this as a new building.

I did not see anything about this topic at the realms beyond forums (I didn't want to make you do the same work twice), but if you are planning to discuss this topic there in the EitB v13 progress thread at some point I can just follow the discussion when it happens there. My original idea involved more unique Luchuirp buildings; one for each magic sphere "group" (alteration, divination, elementalism, necromancy and if needed another one for metamagic) so I would probably implement this as a new building.

Not sure if I explicitly discussed it there, but I consider it by-and-large settled there.

This is about the rationale of where I want to put the Golem-boosting buildings. Currently we have one set, the Fire II one which must clearly be set at Elementalism (well, Sorcery but via Elementalism). The two promotions which I want to offer are Heavy and Light, so we want to put them at one of the 3 remaining techs. Of the three, Divination is easily the most useful for players (especially Luchuirp, with Dwarven Druids around the corner), so I want to place the buildings at Alteration and Necromancy.

So what mana at each works well with Heavy and Light?

Body at Alteration gives us Light, but what do we do for Heavy? Personally, the mana that goes best with it is probably Death, but I could be persuaded to any - honestly, it's a hard decision with none really fitting with it.

[to_xp]Gekko;13917070 said:
since elohim monks are still in need of an overhaul, what about giving them affinity for spirit mana?

For 0.6.0 I'm prioritizing the missing parts of BarbsPlus in which I can help. Therefore, for some time I don't plan to tackle any big changes besides those and the usual More Naval AI and Erebus in the Balance merges.

Not sure if I explicitly discussed it there, but I consider it by-and-large settled there.

This is about the rationale of where I want to put the Golem-boosting buildings. Currently we have one set, the Fire II one which must clearly be set at Elementalism (well, Sorcery but via Elementalism). The two promotions which I want to offer are Heavy and Light, so we want to put them at one of the 3 remaining techs. Of the three, Divination is easily the most useful for players (especially Luchuirp, with Dwarven Druids around the corner), so I want to place the buildings at Alteration and Necromancy.

So what mana at each works well with Heavy and Light?

Body at Alteration gives us Light, but what do we do for Heavy? Personally, the mana that goes best with it is probably Death, but I could be persuaded to any - honestly, it's a hard decision with none really fitting with it.

I like that idea and those promotions. Without taking into account the extra mana types in ExtraModMod, I think that the spheres you suggested are the best fit.

Alteration(Body) --> Light
Divination --> Perfect Sight
Elementalism --> Fire II
Necromancy(Death) --> Heavy

But in ExtraModMod, I would use:

Alteration(Force) --> Heavy
Divination --> Perfect Sight
Elementalism --> Fire II
Necromancy(Dimensional) --> Light

Only the server crashes, clients do not crash.

DarkLunaPhantom: I'm having trouble when trying to debug the pitboss server. Are you aware of any command line parameter which makes the pitboss exe launch a specified mod directly? Something like what -mod="Fall from Heaven 2" does with the client exe. I tried to launch the pitboss server with -mod, but it complains about not being able to find the mod but shows a path lacking the first letter ("ods\Fall from Heaven 2").

DarkLunaPhantom: I'm having trouble when trying to debug the pitboss server. Are you aware of any command line parameter which makes the pitboss exe launch a specified mod directly? Something like what -mod="Fall from Heaven 2" does with the client exe. I tried to launch the pitboss server with -mod, but it complains about not being able to find the mod but shows a path lacking the first letter ("ods\Fall from Heaven 2").

It works for me with -mod=" Fall from Heaven 2\". So, putting a single space in front of the mod name and a backslash after it apparently results in correct path.

would it be possible to add an option to disable AI starting settlers moving? I'm starting to think it does them more harm than good

Loki is currently way too expensive for what he does and the AI suffers from building him instead of vital settlers and workers early on. I'd recommend 80 as a fair price for him, with 100 AIweight ( instead of current 180 and 200 )

AI is way too eager to settle on tiles like incense, gold etc. that would give a lot of yields if worked

what's the deal with scorpion clan archers? it seems like they still move around the fort, but on a leash?

python exception screenshot attached

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0058.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0058.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 125
It works for me with -mod=" Fall from Heaven 2\". So, putting a single space in front of the mod name and a backslash after it apparently results in correct path.

Thank you! I thought that I was doing something wrong, I did not consider that the option itself was getting the folder wrong. I'll debug it when I'm back from vacation next week and hopefully I'll be able to release a fixed version soon-ish.

[to_xp]Gekko;13925971 said:
would it be possible to add an option to disable AI starting settlers moving? I'm starting to think it does them more harm than good

I'd rather have their city evaluation method fixed.

Loki is currently way too expensive for what he does and the AI suffers from building him instead of vital settlers and workers early on. I'd recommend 80 as a fair price for him, with 100 AIweight ( instead of current 180 and 200 )

I agree upon the reduction of the AIWeight, but 80 seems quite cheap for a nearly immortal scout that can explore enemy territory early on. I'd say 120 hammers could work.

AI is way too eager to settle on tiles like incense, gold etc. that would give a lot of yields if worked

In my experience, they only do this if that would allow them to get greater yields. As I mentioned earlier, perhaps what needs a fix is the AI code for deciding where to settle. I know that Tholal has worked on this code a lot.

what's the deal with scorpion clan archers? it seems like they still move around the fort, but on a leash?/QUOTE]

I don't know how this issue ended up being fixed, as it was changed a few times before More Naval AI 2.62 was released.

python exception screenshot attached

That is a known issue... I've given it a lot of time without being able to figure out why it is failing, and I even asked for help a few posts back. If anyone knows what is wrong, any advice is welcome :)

I agree upon the reduction of the AIWeight, but 80 seems quite cheap for a nearly immortal scout that can explore enemy territory early on. I'd say 120 hammers could work.

consider adding a tech prereq like Festivals then, that way the AI won't build him too soon

Top Bottom