Quick Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.
MikeB's (of Firaxis) thread on .ini settings. (Link to 'poly thread)
Originally posted by Mike Breitkreutz FIRAXIS
OK, here's a list of all the INI settings for Conquests (some of these may not be in Civ3 or PTW). I'm not sure if these are documented anywhere or not (probably some of them are in the readme)... I just write the code. ;)

Voice Quality=0
Can be 0-7. Used for voice chat.

KeepRes=1
Can be 0 or 1. If 1, your screen resolution is used for the game instead of the default 1024x768.

VideoMode=1280
Can be 1024, 1152, 1280, 1600, 1792. Changes the game's resolution to the value specified (instead of the default 1024x768).
Only the following resolutions are supported with this command:
1024x768
1152x864
1280x1024
1600x1200
1792x1344

Refresh=70
Changes the default refresh rate of your monitor. Do not change/add this line unless you are experiencing problems!

ScrollSpeed=1
Can be 0, 1, or 2. This is the Map Scroll Speed preference.

Prefs Format=1
This is the prefs version number. It should always be 1 (for now).

Difficulty=7
The difficulty level used in the last game played. The numbers correspond to the difficulty levels in the editor (starting at 0).

Aggression=4
The aggression level used in the last game played. The numbers correspond to the levels (starting at 0).

Top Menu=3
The last selected main menu item. The first menu item is 0.

QuickStart=0
Can be 0 or 1. If 1, the menu screens are bypassed and the game acts as if QuickStart was selected.

Faction0=5
Faction1=8
Faction2=1
Faction3=7
Faction4=9
Faction5=2
Faction6=6
Faction7=3
Faction8=4
Faction9=32
Faction10=32
Faction11=32
Faction12=32
Faction13=32
Faction14=32
Faction15=32
Faction16=-1
Faction17=-1
Faction18=-1
Faction19=-1
Faction20=-1
Faction21=-1
Faction22=-1
Faction23=-1
Faction24=-1
Faction25=-1
Faction26=-1
Faction27=-1
Faction28=-1
Faction29=-1
Faction30=-1

The civ selected for each of the players in the last game played. Faction0 is the human player. The values can range from -1 to 32. -1 is NONE, 32 is RANDOM, 0-31 correspond to the civs in the order they are listed in the editor.

num cities to eliminate=1
one city culture to win=20000
all cities culture to win=100000
domination pct terrain=66
domination % pop=66
building wonders=10
killing units=10
researching advances=5
capture cities=100
holding vp locations=25
capturing princess=1000
Victory Point Limit=50000
Turn Limit=540

Default victory condition settings. All of these can be changed in-game by clicking the ''Game Limits'' button.

Preference
These are bit flags corresponding to the preferences. I'm not going to detail each flag...

Rule
These are bit flags corresponding to the game rules (enabled victory conditions and so forth).

CleanMap=00000000000000011010111010000000
These are bit flags corresponding to the clean map preferences (accessed in game with ctrl-shift-n).

Governor=00000000000000000000000000000000
These are bit flags corresponding to the governor settings (the main page).

Gov Prod Never=00000000000000000000000000011000
These are bit flags corresponding to the items the governor should NEVER produce.

Gov Prod Often=00000000000000000000000000000000
These are bit flags corresponding to the items the governor should produce OFTEN.

CustomLeaderName=
CustomLeaderTitle=
CustomFormalName=
CustomNoun=
CustomAdjective=
CustomGender=1

These are the settings for your custom civ setting (if you rename your leader, etc.).

WorldAridity=2
BarbarianActivity=0
WorldLandmass=1
WorldOceanCoverage=0
WorldTemperature=2
WorldAge=1
WorldSize=2

These are the world settings chosen for your last game played. The values range from 0 to the number of possible values. RANDOM is denoted by using the number of values (i.e., a value of 3 in WorldAridity is RANDOM; 0-2 are the actual settings).

WindowsFileBox=0
I've never used this but apparently setting it to 1 causes a standard windows dialog to be used for loading and saving.

Max Autosaves=5
The number of autosaves the game will keep in the auto folder.

Latest Save=C:\_Projects\Conquests\Civ3\saves\current
The last saved game loaded.

Latest Scenario=Conquests\7 Sengoku - Sword of the Shogun.biq
The last scenario loaded.

Main Volume=127
Music Volume=127
Sound Volume=50

The volume settings (can range from 0 to 127).

NoSound=0
Can be 0 or 1. If 1, no sound will be played in the game.

NoForceFeedback=0
Can be 0 or 1. If 1, force feedback will not be enabled for force feedback mice.

PlayIntro=0
Can be 0 or 1. If 0, the intro movie is not displayed.

GridOn=0
Can be 0 or 1. Whether or not the grid was on in the last game played.

MapZoom=0
Can be 0 or 1. Whether or not the map was zoomed in the last game played.

NoAIPatrol=1
Can be 0 or 1. If 0, the AI will use it's units to randomly patrol if it has no specific task for them.

WorldSeed=0
The seed used to generate the last map played. If 0, the last game played was not a SP random map game. This is provided for players who like a map that was generated and would like to make a map in the editor that looks the same.

Location=0
Can be 0 or 1. The last ''location'' used for MP games. 0 == Local, 1 == GameSpy.

Net Name=Mike
The name used in the last MP game played.

These are all the current settings used in conquests.ini. Their functionality and usage may change in future versions (if any) and it's always possible more will be added (or that some will be removed).

Edit: There may also be a line for SFX Volume. This is a bug :rolleyes: -- sometimes the sound volume is mistakenly referenced as SFX Volume (which causes the sound volume bug some people may have experienced).

Edit: Added a few more that I forgot about because they weren't in my INI file...

Is there a really good Earth map out there? The ones that come bundled with the game seem to forget the presence of rivers in China and Europe, and also are not updated with Conquests additions to the map. I don't have the time or skill to improve or update it in any sort of balanced way, so I'm hoping someone already has.

PS thanks for the help with monitor issues. The resololution was already matched and nothing else worked so I just switched monitors with my sister.

I need a little help, I've seen screen shots of what looks like a very nice app, Civ3 Game Editor. It allows you to modify all of the game settings. Is there a link to it somewhere and does it come at a price?

BobV said:
I need a little help, I've seen screen shots of what looks like a very nice app, Civ3 Game Editor. It allows you to modify all of the game settings. Is there a link to it somewhere and does it come at a price?

The Civ3 Editor, which does indeed rock, and rock hard, comes and installs with the game and can be accessed from the "Civilization III" or "Civilization III Conquests" folder. If you're using Windows go Start button - Atari folder - Civilization III Conquests folder - Civ3Conquests Editor folder - Civ3Conquests Edit button.

PS Thanks Mistfit

a4phantom said:
The Civ3 Editor, which does indeed rock, and rock hard, comes and installs with the game and can be accessed from the "Civilization III" or "Civilization III Conquests" folder. If you're using Windows go Start button - Atari folder - Civilization III Conquests folder - Civ3Conquests Editor folder - Civ3Conquests Edit button.

Wonder why they did not make a shortcut for the editor in the menu? Seems to me that it would have made sense to do so.

scloopy said:
Wonder why they did not make a shortcut for the editor in the menu? Seems to me that it would have made sense to do so.

I've thought so too, maybe it's because it's a fully seperate program. Although IIRC Starcraft has a link to the map editor from from the game's startup menu.

Does anyone have advice for RoR on the Monarchy level? This is my first Monarch game! I did make one modification to the game: the Egyptian city of Memphis began the game with the Pyramids Wonder imported from the Epic game. It's 305 BC, nine turns in. I just upgraded all my legions and took Carthago. I have one particular question . . . should I invest the research and wait for Imperialism, or should I become a Republic, which is a necessary tech (with Legion III and FP) and does not seem to include WW.

In RoR:

Republic has nuisance corruption and Imperialism has minimal. Imperialist workers (ha!) work at 150% efficiency, but much of the improvements are already built. Draft rate, MP, and unit support are identical. And there is no WW for either.

Thanks in advance for the advice, Monarch level is intimidating

Speaking of Monarch Level, I'm playing an HOF OCC Cultural 20K with the Ottomans against the Russians & Americans on a Tiny Map (Pangaea 60%).......ALL totally irrelevant! :lol: ....BUT, here's my question:

Playing C3Cv1.22, I just SGL-rushed the Great Library BUT did not get any techs from the AIs. Why?.....Or, How do I get them? (I know for sure that the Americans have Mysticism and I don't!) :confused:

(P.s. Education has not been discovered, so the GL should be active!?)

You get techs from the great library when two of the civs you know have a tech you do not. Sounds like you may be ahead in tech in some areas.... turn you science off, rake in the cash, and let the AI research for you.

Thanks Turner_727, I'll give that a try and see what happens! :goodjob:

a4phantom said:
In RoR:

Republic has nuisance corruption and Imperialism has minimal. Imperialist workers (ha!) work at 150% efficiency, but much of the improvements are already built. Draft rate, MP, and unit support are identical. And there is no WW for either.

The civilopedia states that there is unit support costs for Imperialism. As implemented, all units are free. This can be verified via the editor. Therefore, wait for Imperialism and just change gov't the one time.

watorrey said:
The civilopedia states that there is unit support costs for Imperialism. As implemented, all units are free. This can be verified via the editor. Therefore, wait for Imperialism and just change gov't the one time.

Thanks Wattorey. That pretty well and truly justifies the extra hassle of Imperialism, especially if it comes to fighting that massive green blob to the east. So come on guys, help me out here!

a4phantom said:
Thanks Wattorey. That pretty well and truly justifies the extra hassle of Imperialism, especially if it comes to fighting that massive green blob to the east. So come on guys, help me out here!

Edit: Wait a sec, I just checked the editor and units under Imperialism in RoR are not free, they're 2/4/8 like for Republic, as the civilopedia says. Maybe this was fixed in a patch?

I played in imperialism in RoR and there was no unit support cost in F2 and F3 screens...

a4phantom said:
Edit: Wait a sec, I just checked the editor and units under Imperialism in RoR are not free, they're 2/4/8 like for Republic, as the civilopedia says. Maybe this was fixed in a patch?

That's the free unit support which implies that it costs above and beyond that. There is another setting that determines the cost/unit and it is set to 0.

watorrey said:
That's the free unit support which implies that it costs above and beyond that. There is another setting that determines the cost/unit and it is set to 0.

You're right.

1. What is "Landmark Terrain" (like cedars of Lebanon). What does it do in the game?

2. Is it possible to get another SGL while being in the scientific golden age generated by the previous SGL?

2. Is it possible to get another SGL while being in the scientific golden age generated by the previous SGL?

Yes. In fact, it's possible to get an SGL while you currently have an SLG sitting around doing nothing. The only rule is that you can't get an MGL while you have a leader of either type around.

You should note, though, that the scientific golden age is broken. It doesn't actually work. The excess beakers that should be generated by the SGA are never really recorded, so it's a placebo effect only -- nothing really changes.

Arathorn

Arathorn said:
Yes. In fact, it's possible to get an SGL while you currently have an SLG sitting around doing nothing. The only rule is that you can't get an MGL while you have a leader of either type around.

You should note, though, that the scientific golden age is broken. It doesn't actually work. The excess beakers that should be generated by the SGA are never really recorded, so it's a placebo effect only -- nothing really changes.

Arathorn

They still haven't fixed that??? Good thing there's almost always a Wonder worth grabbing.

I did, but it just seems like it would have made sense to do it in the first place.

BTW can the maps saved be crossed over to another Civ game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom