Multi-colored civs... again.

Adam7Eight

Emperor
Hey guys. After several months away from Civ 3 I have once again returned and decided to have another go with multi-colored civs. :crazyeye:

Unfortunately, I had to start from scratch again and hopefully I've done a lot better this time. Sloth MD's tool made it a little easier and less time consuming but some restriction's had me doing some of it the old way.

If some of you have no clue what I'm talking about you can visit the following thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=85016

The aim is to give the civs more realistic coloring. Some sacrificing had to be made due to many civs sharing very similar colors, and some civs, though few, are still just one color. I know there are many of us out there with
different opinions on what civ should be what color, so this is the best compromise I have came up with after much feedback.

Some may notice that it's hard to tell certain civs apart on the minimap, however, changes to the borders and cities have been made so there shouldn't be any problems with mistaking civs on the actual playing map. Some may also notice minor speckling problems on rare occasions, and those I have found really no solution for.

*Note - Borders will now be one solid color. Multi-clored borders look awful on most occasions.

Anyways, I have completely redid them all, but only for Conquests v1.22. The zip below includes all 32 palettes (including barbarians), the default version of the v1.22 "conquests.biq", which is only altered so every civ is using the correct palette, and the ReadMe file.

Installation:

Just unzip into your root Civ III directory.
(ex: C:/Program Files/Infogrames Interactive/Civilization III)

* Please make a backup of your original conquests.biq file (located in Civilization III/Conquests) and your palette folder (located in Civilization III/Art/Units) as these files will be over-written.

I hope you guys enjoy it and I look forward to some feedback.

By the way, a big hello goes out to Rhye, W.I.N.T.E.R., and Sloth MD. :goodjob:

Like the effort... especially since I have no knack of doing stuff like that.
Got some previews?

Thx for the previews! By far the best multi-color I've seen! :goodjob:

Oh I almost forgot- in my mod I got some other-than-given-by-c3c civs:

Namely Cambodia, the Confederate States of America, Slavia (replacing Celts), Nubia, Ethiopia and Australasia- while certain civs will mutate into their modern successor states (Babylon=>Irak; Iroqouise=>Canada; etc). Any potential extra color-pack ?? ;)

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
Oh I almost forgot- in my mod I got some other-than-given-by-c3c civs:

Namely Cambodia, the Confederate States of America, Slavia (replacing Celts), Nubia, Ethiopia and Australasia- while certain civs will mutate into their modern successor states (Babylon=>Irak; Iroqouise=>Canada; etc). Any potential extra color-pack ?? ;)

It's quite possible. PM me with the info and I'll see what I can do. :D

Do you guys have any suggestions what I should do with Spain? I did test every civ with a few units and I all thought they looked alright, but after starting a new epic game with the Spanish I'm noticing that some units don't really look all that great with the red/yellow combination. I can't exactly reverse the colors then they would be almost exact as Rome. Perhaps Spain should be a one color civ? Maybe yellow? Or maybe I'll leave 'em and just deal with it. :mischief:

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
Rome could also be green and red...

...or grey and red. I know, I know. I don't want to go through this again. :p

I'm just going to leave them the way they are. I can live with a few weird looking units.

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
kk- uhm, is there a list of some sort which allows insight on each particular civ's color-combo?

If it's a list of colors you want , here it is:

Barbs - black
Rome - yellow/dark red
Egypt - yellow/light blue
Greece - white/light blue
Babylon - dark green/dark blue
Germany - grey/black
Russia - red/dark brown
China - light blue
America - red/blue
Japan - white/red
France - gold/royal (dark) blue
India - light orange/green
Persia - light gold/green
Aztecs - grey/dark green
Zulu - brown
Iroquois - white/light purple
England - red
Mongols - gold
Spain - red/yellow
Scandinavia - white/dark purple
Turkey - white
Celts - light green
Arabs - green/black
Carthage - white/light brown
Korea - blue/black
Sumeria - sea green
Hittites - light green/blue
Dutch - white/orange
Portugal - green/red
Byzantines - white/gold
Inca - white/green
Maya - dark yellow/blue

The traditional colors of German troops have always been White and Black (a Black Cross on White Ground- see the teutonic knight by BeBro), while the Mayas and Azteks had a huge thing for reds (red was the color of life and death for them). Turkey should feature red and green (historical colors of the islamic turk peoples)

Red is over-used as it is (the same with yellow/gold). I can't imagine making more civs with red, or any shade of red. Exceptions and compromises have to be made here or it's totally useless.

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
hmm, jade green and cottage brown tones could be used as well for the mesoamericans, obsidian... etc :)

Possibly. I like the jade green idea. I'll have to try out some exotic colors.

Top Bottom