The Cold War Deluxe; 1950-1991

Krazydude-Thanks! Will use the Iberian flag. Would be much better than the Spanish flag.

Which reminds me-I'm looking for a free ebook copy of the book "Os Maias" by Eça de Queiros. But I can only find them in Portuguese, which I can't understand :( Would you know if its been published as an ebook in English?

What about a new Afghan/Pakistan flag-the flag of Pashtunistan?
http://www.fotw.net/flags/pk!pakh.html

Rita Poon said:
Krazydude-Thanks! Will use the Iberian flag. Would be much better than the Spanish flag.

Which reminds me-I'm looking for a free ebook copy of the book "Os Maias" by Eça de Queiros. But I can only find them in Portuguese, which I can't understand :( Would you know if its been published as an ebook in English?

What about a new Afghan/Pakistan flag-the flag of Pashtunistan?
http://www.fotw.net/flags/pk!pakh.html
Poon,

the Pashtun one should suffice.

i actually have a professor who's fluent in that language! :crazyeye:

El Justo,
First of all, great scenario. I don't generally write "fan letters", but I must say that this is an excellent scenario.
Secondly, providing that you aren't pulling my proverbial leg, I will explain my "secret".
To begin with, I tweaked my system for performance using a commercial tweaker. This is because the system is ancient and very, very low end (compared to the currently available systems). The tweaking elevated my system performance enormously and the few things that I do only squeeze the last few drops of performance from the system. In other words, because it is running about as fast as it can go, the things I do only add a little bit to the system's overall performance, but for me that little bit is essential. Since my system is connected via dial up, I can shutdown a few things that someone with a broadband (or "always on") connection might not consider or be able to terminate (due to security concerns). For example, I will routinely shutdown my antivirus program and my firewall. Doing that with an "always on" connection is just inviting trouble.
Having said that, here's what I do:
1. shutdown every program not essential to make XP work.
2. shutdown every service not essential for XP to run (except windows audio).
3. start my memory manager/memory defragmenter.
4. defrag the memory to maximize the amount of RAM available.
5. repeat step 4 to make sure you got it all (the RAM that is).
6. Start Civ, load TCW, and play.

The memory manger I run will, from time to time, recover unused memory resulting in a slight slowdown in the game, but it only lasts for a minute or two and everything is back to normal. Other than these things, I don't do anything else. Being perfectly honest, the system does things that it probably shouldn't be able to do in terms of performance (given its age, the hardware, etc.) and I really don't know how to account for it except to say that I guess I am just lucky that way.

Oh, and I hope your "Iggles" win on Sunday! (I am an embarassed and disappointed "Stillers" fan)

DUDE you are insane.

TCW should be able to run without all that until turns start taking thirty to forty minutes.

BTW what is in your comp? List everything form RAM to The CPU to the Harddrive. You might just be better off buying either more RAM or a totaly new computer.

No, actually I am not insane.
I would be better off buying a new computer, but it is a question of money (I am saving for a new high end system) and the philosophy of "why toss away a perfectly good computer when all it needs is for me to 'adjust' a few things." My current system is a gigantic p.o.s!
If you really want to know what is in my system, here goes:
The system is a Compaq Presario 5242 containing:
an AMD K6-2 (400MHz)
192 MB RAM (PC100)
10 GB HDD (WDig., IDE)
Optorite 52x24x52x CD-R/RW
ATI 3D-Rage LT Pro AGP (w/ 4MB SGRAM)
Compaq ES-1869 soundcard
US Robotics V.90 56K modem
the motherboard is listed as a Compaq 686A1 with a VIA chipset (VT82C598 Apollo MVP3)
it also has a Superdrive (a now defunct competitor to early zip drives) that doubles as a floppy drive.
It runs XPsp2.
And you wonder why I do those things!!! Until I get enough saved to buy the system I want, I will continue to use this one as it is the only one I have.

El Justo, Klyden

I did a quick look in the editor and the F-104 looks like it is also using the wrong icon - wasn't 899 created for it?

I am going to look up Ticonderoga CA's different Tomahawk versions. In the 90's Tomahawk cruise missiles with long ranges from US nuclear subs and Ticonderogas were the USA's quick bombard weapons of choice - easiest to model as extended range and powerful bombard values for those ships. However, I believe the Tomahawks in the time period of your scenario have much less range and accuracy and your values are correct.

The rise of missile technology introduced from the 60s to 80s were undervalued by the public for years. I am thinking Harpoon and Exocet and Soviet missile-armed ships and bombers.

I had been wanting to get into scenarios for this time period - Cuban Missile Crisis, Vietnam, Israeli Wars, NATO vs. WP, WW3 in 60's to 80's, revolutionary movements, cultural wars, and the lots of interesting units in the download are awesome.

Chuck might I suggest looking at either Dell or Gateway. I run an old gateway 310SE but it performs on top of the line cuz I bought a 1GB Ram card. A CD/DVD Burner, A linksys Wireless PCI adapter with speedbooster, and a bunch of other crap.

My best thought would be to GO AND GET A CUSTOM PC. I would kill to have a custom PC.

(when you do get a new comp. Take that old one and strip it for parts you need. The rest take to a shotgun field and you can pretty much fill in the blanks as I go)

Rita Poon said:

i really don't know if that was ever published in english, i have read it but in portuguese of course :(

where are you from? i thought portuguese literature was not known on the outside :p

btw, it's a good story after the first 80 pages :)

El Justo,
My apologies for blaming your scenario for being slow! The problem as suggested by Chuck2280 seems to have been due to the multitude of background programmes running in WinXP.

I normally streamline my installation everytime I reinstall WinXP (about every 6 months!) but had yet to do so. I use the Black Viper list of services which can be disabled and also Safe XP to disable a lot of other Microsoft crap. With Civ3.exe set on real time priority the game now flies along at less than 1 minute per turn. Also Klyden's advice on avoiding peace helps :D

Krazy-I'm in the US. My sister in law told me about the book-she tells me "Maias" is to Portugal as "War & Peace" is to Russia. I enjoyed the Siege of Lisbon by José Saramago, so I thought I'd give Maias a shot. BTW-José Saramago is kind of huge over here.

I'll keep looking, IIRC, the author passed away so the book should be public domain.
OK-I'm 99% finished with the flags. Any ideas for a better Germany/Lowlands flag?

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 497
I know this might be really tough on the circle, but how about doing a split through the middle of the circle and having the WG flag on say the left and having another flag on the right? Or could really go crazy and split the circle into 3 pieces and have WG, Belgium, and Holland in each section.

Elemming makes a good point about the rise of missle systems. El Justo and I had discussed this and while the Tico classes (among others) may be affected, the naval unit probably most affected would be the New Jersey. Obviously at start, New Jersey does not have OTH (over the horizon) capability from a historical standpoint, but in this game it does. There was no way to be able to arrange an upgrade to a better version without giving the ability to produce it, which we did not want to do.

Also affected are a lot of Nato platforms. As an example, Spruance class, when first brought into service, did not even have Harpoon on the first ships. They had 2 5 inch guns, what we used to call Sea Chicken (Sea Sparrow AA missle system) and other limited armamants. Indeed, this was the arguement about those ships is how they could be so big and yet carry so little. Most of this was done for budgetary reasons and as time went along and more money became available, many weapon systems were later added.

It is difficult in game engine terms to keep up with all these changes and capabilities. As a result, we had to "fudge" a bit. The Spruance in this scenario will never have a good bombard rating. On the other side of the coin, the Tico's were beefed up a bit more from the start than what was probably available from when the class was first started. Tico can have a bigger reason for a split as the first of the classes were equipped with the traditional 2 arm launcher and later versions went VLS.

The intent is to obviously capture the "flavor" of the ships as best as possible within the limits of the game engine.

Klyden said:
I know this might be really tough on the circle, but how about doing a split through the middle of the circle and having the WG flag on say the left and having another flag on the right? Or could really go crazy and split the circle into 3 pieces and have WG, Belgium, and Holland in each section.

Elemming makes a good point about the rise of missle systems. El Justo and I had discussed this and while the Tico classes (among others) may be affected, the naval unit probably most affected would be the New Jersey. Obviously at start, New Jersey does not have OTH (over the horizon) capability from a historical standpoint, but in this game it does. There was no way to be able to arrange an upgrade to a better version without giving the ability to produce it, which we did not want to do.

Also affected are a lot of Nato platforms. As an example, Spruance class, when first brought into service, did not even have Harpoon on the first ships. They had 2 5 inch guns, what we used to call Sea Chicken (Sea Sparrow AA missle system) and other limited armamants. Indeed, this was the arguement about those ships is how they could be so big and yet carry so little. Most of this was done for budgetary reasons and as time went along and more money became available, many weapon systems were later added.

It is difficult in game engine terms to keep up with all these changes and capabilities. As a result, we had to "fudge" a bit. The Spruance in this scenario will never have a good bombard rating. On the other side of the coin, the Tico's were beefed up a bit more from the start than what was probably available from when the class was first started. Tico can have a bigger reason for a split as the first of the classes were equipped with the traditional 2 arm launcher and later versions went VLS.

The intent is to obviously capture the "flavor" of the ships as best as possible within the limits of the game engine.
well put Kly.

i agree on your 3 flag combo for WG/Lwlnds. can it be done Poon?

Chuck2280 said:
El Justo,
First of all, great scenario. I don't generally write "fan letters", but I must say that this is an excellent scenario.
Secondly, providing that you aren't pulling my proverbial leg, I will explain my "secret".
To begin with, I tweaked my system for performance using a commercial tweaker. This is because the system is ancient and very, very low end (compared to the currently available systems). The tweaking elevated my system performance enormously and the few things that I do only squeeze the last few drops of performance from the system. In other words, because it is running about as fast as it can go, the things I do only add a little bit to the system's overall performance, but for me that little bit is essential. Since my system is connected via dial up, I can shutdown a few things that someone with a broadband (or "always on") connection might not consider or be able to terminate (due to security concerns). For example, I will routinely shutdown my antivirus program and my firewall. Doing that with an "always on" connection is just inviting trouble.
Having said that, here's what I do:
1. shutdown every program not essential to make XP work.
2. shutdown every service not essential for XP to run (except windows audio).
3. start my memory manager/memory defragmenter.
4. defrag the memory to maximize the amount of RAM available.
5. repeat step 4 to make sure you got it all (the RAM that is).
6. Start Civ, load TCW, and play.

The memory manger I run will, from time to time, recover unused memory resulting in a slight slowdown in the game, but it only lasts for a minute or two and everything is back to normal. Other than these things, I don't do anything else. Being perfectly honest, the system does things that it probably shouldn't be able to do in terms of performance (given its age, the hardware, etc.) and I really don't know how to account for it except to say that I guess I am just lucky that way.

Oh, and I hope your "Iggles" win on Sunday! (I am an embarassed and disappointed "Stillers" fan)
hey, that's good stuff. i will make note of it in the event my pc decides to bog down.

ps. E - A - G - L - E - S !!!!! EEEEAAAAAGGGGGLES!!!!!

Asclepius said:
El Justo,
My apologies for blaming your scenario for being slow! The problem as suggested by Chuck2280 seems to have been due to the multitude of background programmes running in WinXP.

I normally streamline my installation everytime I reinstall WinXP (about every 6 months!) but had yet to do so. I use the Black Viper list of services which can be disabled and also Safe XP to disable a lot of other Microsoft crap. With Civ3.exe set on real time priority the game now flies along at less than 1 minute per turn. Also Klyden's advice on avoiding peace helps :D
Asclepius,

no worries sir. any info regarding turn times is always something i find important so fill us in should you experience lags or whatever.

Rita Poon said:
Krazy-I'm in the US. My sister in law told me about the book-she tells me "Maias" is to Portugal as "War & Peace" is to Russia. I enjoyed the Siege of Lisbon by José Saramago, so I thought I'd give Maias a shot. BTW-José Saramago is kind of huge over here.

I'll keep looking, IIRC, the author passed away so the book should be public domain.
OK-I'm 99% finished with the flags. Any ideas for a better Germany/Lowlands flag?
Rita Poon,

very nice!

it seems that you've modded the text files! is this true?!?! if so, you saved me a good chunk of time.

also, i thought i'd share an excellent "player's guide" for TCW.

it is written by our resident expert, Klyden. awesome work bud and very, very useful! :goodjob:

Attachments

• The Cold War Player Guide.doc
    58 KB · Views: 2,687
A few really minor spelling errors I spotted in the city names;

Stroudsbourg = Strasbourg
Sarejevo = Sarajevo
Sevastopal = Sevastopol
Leon = León

can you tell I'm being picky? :)

Chuck2280

I think you have all done all the speed boosting possible except for a memory upgrade. That will quite noticably increase your speed. For less than $50 you can replace a 64MB with a 256MB. Doubling your memory which is close to minimum now should increase your speed 20-90%.

Rita Poon said:

hehehe yes, "Maias" is like a THE portuguese classic. saramago got a huge leap outside with the nobel prize. if i find an e-book in english i'll tell you.

regarding the flags, they look awesome, but now that i give some attention to the iberian flag i realize that those 4 coulors are the colors from portugal and spain. red and yellow is spanish, and it may seem a bit odd having portugal with blue & white, as our national colors are green & red. this is due to the iberian movement (from which the flag is) dated from late ninteenth century and early twentieth cent., when portugal was still a monarchy and blue & white were the national colors.

since this is a cold war scenario it could be strange to have it like that, but yet, i think it is better than just the spanish flag.

:goodjob: keep up the good work

Top Bottom