[SCENARIO] The Cold War (TCW) Unofficial update by Lionic

Great update for a mod classic. I started a game as UK on the huge map and realized that non of the airplanes has the reconnaissance option, which limits the usability of all those nice Vulcans and Canberra bombers. AI WP heavily pushed into Iran and India but destroyed most of the cities.
Next game I will start with the no raze patch and probably with the normal world map.
The UK built or converted a fair number of Canberra bombers into photo-reconnaissance aircraft, so the Canberra should have the recon box checked.

I believe El Justo has disabled recon missions intentionally. There are dedicated Spy Planes to do the job and I used RB-57 Canberra's graphics for them BTW.

believe El Justo has disabled recon missions intentionally. There are dedicated Spy Planes to do the job and I used RB-57 Canberra's graphics for them BTW.

Yes he did. I seem to remember cfc Klyden wrote a guide to TCW way back when pointing out that there are only a few recon units. Recon is only available on a few units in TCW. I like it as it is more realistic without being awkward.

An emergency patch in the form of a zip file with two .biqs has been attached to Post 1. It fixes the error with inability to select Iran plus some minor fixes:
Replaced M-24s in Belgrade with T-34s (Huge map);
Iran may build Corps;
UH-1 requires Air Cavalry Tactics;
UH-60 requires Attack Helicopters;
Mossad Intel Agency, British SIS Agency and British Special Ops require Democracy to function;
Increased culture of Akita and Fukuoka (small map);
Cost of Cruise Missile and KS-1 is doubled;
Toti class upgrades to Sauro;

Yugoslavia was neutral, not a NATO ally.
She should be excluded from the alliance Blue.

Yugoslavia was neutral, not a NATO ally.
She should be excluded from the alliance Blue.

Agreed but due to the nature of this scenario, neutral countries get quickly assimilated by the larger neighbors. el_Justo decided to put Yugoslavia in with the Blue alliance as he felt the Red alliance was already powerful enough.

There has been a lot of careful thought put into the teams for this scenario by the original members who contributed to the creation of TCW. If alliances are going to be edited and tweaked a lot of gameplay testing must first be done.

There has been a lot of careful thought put into the teams for this scenario by the original members who contributed to the creation of TCW. If alliances are going to be edited and tweaked a lot of gameplay testing must first be done.
But the estimation was based on a small map, not a huge map.
In the case huge map - another situation, Blue alliance - much more powerful. Due to the expansion of cities.

But the estimation was based on a small map, not a huge map.
In the case huge map - another situation, Blue alliance - much more powerful. Due to the expansion of cities.

Yes, that's a good point and one I didn't consider fully. I'm still experimenting with the new big map so I don't have enough experience yet to comment.

I am not going to change Yugoslavia's side with the CURRENT civilization's list. Keep in mind that Blue alliance has already lost Indonesia, Pakistan and South Africa. Russia and Africa are still largely underpopulated therefore it is possible to strengthen them with even more cities.

Dear All,
I certainly understand the reasons for such alliances: for example, the Red Pact, once it accumulates some military strength, just has NOBODY to digest. Close targets (like Yugoslavia) are all in NATO alliance, and China is already too strong to target.
But from the opposite side, - Red Pact get unvoluntary involved in wars caused by some useless remote allies, - and then get crushed rather early in the game (mid-50s to early 60x).

By the way, please note that city improvements in this scenario have some missing parameters: like, TV station does not add anything, and all 'pollution control' buildings are one-sided: please check.

I have also noticed that at least till mid-game, no naval units can detect invisible (which is a bit strange, to my taste): I guess at least the destroyers should (which should give them some value).

The submarines can detect each other, most surface vessels probably can't. It has been this way with the previous version of the scenario. USSR may try and invade Afghanistan-Pakistan, these are neutral. I will need to check out the TV Station--it definitely added production bonuses and happiness.

Top Bottom