How is war weariness calculated?

sgrig

Comrade
Does anyone know how exactly war weariness is calculated and what factors affect it? I couldn't find any articles about this.

Edited: I am sorry that I provided the wrong link. I didn't really check into it :p

The article mentioned above is for civ 3 not civ 4 and is thus fairly useless. Of course war weariness in civ 4 has some resemblance to war weariness in civ 3.

As far as I know, there are no articles about war weariness in civ 4.

War weariness is caused by
-killing units and losing units
-capturing cities and losing cities
-nuking
-maybe even by being in enemy territory, but I'm not sure of that

An offensive war causes more war weariness. You get less war weariness if someone declares war on you.

War weariness decreases slowly after a cease fire. This can take quite some time if the war weariness got high and if you declare war again before it has disappeared, then you will start the second war with some war weariness left over from the previous war.

War weariness is decreased by
-jails: -25%
-Mount Rushmore small wonder: -25%
-Police State civic: -50%

With all three of these, you will not suffer any war weariness.

War weariness is a percentage of your city population, so it is worse in large cities.

If you don't want or can't use the police state civic, you can combat the effects of war weariness by increasing the culture slider. If you have a theater, a coliseum and a broadcast tower in your city, then every 10% increase on the culture slider will give you 3.5 happiness. It is better to lose some commerce on keeping the citizens happy, then to have citizens that don't work. If you need a high level of culture to keep your citizens happy, then it is probably not worth it to fight this war.

War weariness is decreased by
-jails: -25%
-Mount Rushmore small wonder: -25%
-Police State civic: -25%

Nitpick: Police state gives -50% to war weariness, which is how it can remove it entirely in combination with Mount Rushmore and jails everywhere.

MrCynical said:
Nitpick: Police state gives -50% to war weariness, which is how it can remove it entirely in combination with Mount Rushmore and jails everywhere.

Thank you. That was a typing error.

This is why one city challenge is great for warring: Global Theatre = no unhappyness ever :king:

Roland Johansen said:
War weariness is caused by
-killing units and losing units
-capturing cities and losing cities
-nuking
-maybe even by being in enemy territory, but I'm not sure of that

An offensive war causes more war weariness. You get less war weariness if someone declares war on you.

Ok, thanks. I noticed before that there isn't much war weariness if some distant civ declares war and there is no actual combat, so this explains it.

The original question was "how is war weariness calculated", not what causes it. My personal impression is that some factor is allocated to each of the causes mentioned, and then (as with so many calculations in Civ4) account is taken of such things as whether the date is odd or even, the phase of the moon, and quite possibly the astrological positon of Mars. Finally, the computer obviously understands that the game is essentially a contest between itself and the human player and therefore delivers every conceivable disadvantage to the player at every opportunity. Not so much artificial intelligence as electronic hatred.

Bushface said:
The original question was "how is war weariness calculated", not what causes it. My personal impression is that some factor is allocated to each of the causes mentioned, and then (as with so many calculations in Civ4) account is taken of such things as whether the date is odd or even, the phase of the moon, and quite possibly the astrological positon of Mars. Finally, the computer obviously understands that the game is essentially a contest between itself and the human player and therefore delivers every conceivable disadvantage to the player at every opportunity. Not so much artificial intelligence as electronic hatred.

You don't seem to like this game very much. :D

The first point is correct though. Each of these causes creates a number of war weariness points which are added and then multiplied by factors depending on map size (bigger maps have more units so each unit lost causes less WW) and difficulty level (AI gets less WW on high difficulty levels) and whether your fighting a defensive or offensive war. War weariness is a percentage of population, so bigger cities get more war weariness.

Top Bottom