Fox-02 -- Praying to the RNG God

Great turns, Danski!

Good roll on the dice :D :D

@rex: I think the hut gives 5xp, barracks gives 2 xp, and animal (or civic, what civic are we in anyway? the basics?) gives 2 xp.

I don't usually adores dotmaps, but I wanted to have some discussions to keep this thread lively ... what better way to kill time for other members while the player who is UP plays and ponders over funny comments to put in his/her turnset report?

RNGod's Assignments Thus Far
- Seek the RNG God: Started 4000BC, Completed 3240BC, 19 turns.
- 3x1: Learn Wonder-Enabling Tech: Started 3240BC, Completed 2280BC, 24 turns.
- 4x6: Learn New-Unit Tech: Started 2280BC, Not Completed, 23 turns remaining.

Roster
-- GreyFox
-- Danski == Just Played
-- rex_tyranus == UP
-- mucco == On Deck
-- n0xie
-- omni_paul
Reminder: rex, and mucco will play 20 each, n0xie and omni_paul 15 each. 10 turns each thereafter.

-

Edited to add screenshots

Guys, I've played about 11 turns but RNGod took a great big dump in our faces. I want to open the floor up to discussion before I cross the Rubicon.

I've got screens to add later, but I wanted to get the log up for your perusal. I'll post the save later, too.

Turn 50 (2000 BC)
Inherited turn. Scouting the lay of the land.
Don't know if anyone's checked the top 5 cities, but Dehli, Madrid, London, and Paris are in with Moscow.
It seems the consessus was to put city 2 on the hill east of corn, SW of gold, so I put a marker there.
Looking at Moscow, no MM necessary. Settler due in 2
Regarding RNGod's objective, BW is due in 6 so we're all set there.
A look at the vic screen shows we have 410 turns left, so I'll quit just before pressing enter on 390 left.
Lastly, to answer Fox, we're running all base civics.

Turn 51 (1960 BC)
Some know-it-all unbeliever tells us we're rich. (164GP). Yay us! Now where's the "build booze and hookers" button?

I'm going to move our warrior in Moscow out to fog-bust a little.
The lion didn't attack our northern warrior, so I move him SW to find the lion again. I don't want a lion walking around while our settler is moving into position.
I also move our scout over by the path to new city to bust some fog for the settler.
Our worker finishes the quarry. I'll move him up to the new city with the settler next turn.
Moscow finishes: Settler
Contact made: Indian Empire
Warrior defeats (1.40/2): Barbarian Lion

Turn 52 (1920 BC)
Moscow begins: Stonehenge
We meet another non-randomite. His name is Asoka. I try to tell him that this "Budhism" he's so proud to have founded is simply another joyous aspect of the one, true RNGod.
I would appear that, while Asoka nodded politely during our message, we haven't another convert.
For after the conversation, aides inform us that Asoka's people fear we have fallen under the sway of a heathen religion. Very well. Each must find his own path to random glory everlasting.
Our settler pops and I switch to stonehenge, but this is a placeholder. Moscow will grow in 1 and I'll build another settler then.
Our 9XP warrior slew a random lion, BTW. Moving him to the gold hill to cover our settler.
I send our settler to the new city site and the worker to the corn. Both are covered by fogbusters, I hope.
Moscow grows: 5

Turn 53 (1880 BC)
Moscow grows to 5 and that means stonehenge is due in 6. WTF, I continue building it. BW due in 3. If we're blessed with copper, we'll make axemen
Damn! barb warriors 4 tiles S of Moscow. Recall the warrior back to the city.

On second thought, I put him on the forested hill S of the city. 75% defense is better than 40% and the barb has to go through it to get to Moscow.
Our worker arrives at the corn before settler can build. I'll have him make a road for a turn.
Now that the "package" has arrived. I send the scout back out to bust fog.

Turn 54 (1840 BC)
St. Petersburg founded
St. Petersburg begins: Warrior
I set St. Pete to build a stinkin' warrior. Hopefully that will change to Axeman soon.
Screw it! Who needs fogbusters anyhow? Decide that our scout will be better used to explore. Maybe we've more goodie huts about.
Worker begins farm near St. Pete
Tech learned: Bronze Working

/***********************************
* Intermission *
***********************************/

Okay, so I find this hilarious:

It's time to roll the dice so I go into my son's room looking for his Monopoly game. But he doesn't have regular Monopoly. He's got Star Wars Monopoly. Aparently the Star Wars TM franchise deems dice to be an obsolete unit and have "upgraded" to a stupid R2D2 RNG with a cute little digital LED in its torso. Not good enough! I need dice. How else can I be certain that RNGod approves of our direction?

So I open up Candyland. No good. It has a spinner. Ditto for Chutes and Ladders. <mumble>fu--ing Parker Bros.</mumble> Clue Jr. has a Die, but it has two sides with the number "three" on it. Huh? No RNGod damnable dice anywhere.

Unless...

...No

Dare I?

<sinful_grin />

I remember that, during my wife's bachelorette party 7 years ago, her pervert friend (damn, I picked the wrong one) gave her a set of kinky dice. One die has positions, the other die has rooms of the house. A little imagination should tell you how these dice are intended to be used. And no matter how bad your imagination may be, it will never come up with "as a prop in a Civ IV SG".

Anyhow, die one is easy:

Shower = 1
Living Room = 2
Dining Room = 3
Bedroom = 4
Closet = 5
Kitchen = 6

Die two has a few pictures that would be tasteless for me to describe and a few others I don't have adequate names for:

Standing up = 1
<censored> = 2
Missionary = 3
<censored> = 4
<censored> = 5
<censored> = 6

The roll...

Shower + <censored> = 1, 5

Get something for free [3] from other Civ. F--k!

/***********************************
* End Intermission *
***********************************/

Turn 55 (1800 BC)
Research begun: Priesthood
Research begun: Writing
Research begun: Writing
Research begun: Iron Working
I think I just dealt us a back-breaker.
My first thought was "Open Borders". We could research writing in about 19 turns.
But OB requires giving OB in return. Not strictly free.
I think the only way to hit this one is to militarize. Here's hoping for copper.
By RNGod! I just realized that we don't even know where anyone is. We could be 30 turns from Rome. Whew! This one's a toughie.
Hmmm. Barb warrior seems to have left the scene.
Moscow begins: Warrior
Stonehenge is due in 4, but I have to switch to a missitary unit if we're to hit the objective. Hopefully our "warrior" will pop out as an axeman.

Turn 56 (1760 BC)
So far, no copper sightings. RNGod! Why hasts thou forsaken your minions?
A barb warrior walks in front of our scout. With defensive bonuses, we'd have 1.7 strenght. Nope. Run away! Run away!
Moscow finishes: Warrior

Turn 57 (1720 BC)
Moscow begins: Warrior
Another warrior served up in Moscow. No sure we can gum caesar into giving us more salad, though.
Scout still looking for copper
Moscow finishes: Warrior

Turn 58 (1680 BC)
Okay, we've got one copper, 14 squares away from our capital. Probably won't help us this round.

St. Petersburg's borders expand

Turn 59 (1640 BC)

Turn 60 (1600 BC)
Worker finishes farming the corn. Moves to gold.
St. Petersburg grows: 2
Judaism founded in a distant land

Turn 61 (1560 BC)
Great joy! RNGod has made himself known through a heretofore unkown facet he calls Judaism!

My question to the group:

Assuming we can extort something from JC, it'll take 10 turns for the "refuses to talk" thing to go away. We've got 24 turns to get this done. Should we declare now, even though we're nowhere near him, just so we can begin negotiations as soon as possible? One thought is to declare in a turn when we can take out a scout, then hunker down. He might give us 10 gold for peace as long as we've killed more troops than he has.

We're incapable of trading at this point. Might we be incapable of extorting peace?

Any other thoughts on our free aquisition? Did I miss something entirely?

Can't get money for peace until Currency!

We can't get gold, techs or cities from him.....

Only hope I see is that one of the religions founded elsewhere spreads to us. Or to count open borders as free.

Maybe, our religion will spread to JC, so we can ask him to convert. Or maybe, when he discovers BW, we can ask him to adopt slavery. I'm not even sure we can do such a thing, maybe he'll revolt in the same interturn in which he discovered the tech; it may also be impossible to ask for civic swap this early (is a tech needed to do this?), but there is not another chance. Having a gift for peace seems unreal to me, in just 30 turns.
We can consider OB free, but the RNGod :)worship:) could become angry for our "misinterpretation of the rules", and send us a 25 (capture a holy/wonder city) for punishment...

Does religion spread count as "something free" I guess I interpreted this as a "diplomacy screen only" sort of free.

Any chance we can get Caesar to convert to Hinduism for free?

Who cares about the game and how to solve RNGod's latest assignment ... I am more interested in knowing this peverted friend-of-wife of yours ... :rotfl::lol:

Oh, man ... I didn't know you would have so much trouble looking for dice ... :lol: I am literally ROTFLMAO :lol:

[OK, I finally managed to pick my A$$ up and ponder seriously on our predicament]

What are our Crusade size? Can we even bring a force to him in however many turns left to extort money?

I guessed the RNGod wanted to punish us with the obscene dice used ... :)lol: couldn't stop laughing at that) ....

Good try on the free religion, Dantski :D That's a bit of twisting the word of "Get something for free". No, I don't think that's within the spirit of the variant rule, but I am willing to allow it if everybody think we should.

Guess, otherwise, we'd just have to endure the agony for the remaining of the 30 turns, and roll our punishment.

here's the save. I'm supposed to be working now, so I can't do the screens until later.

Edit: Keep in mind, I built all those warriors in the spirit of the variant. I don't expect to extort jack-be-nimble with warriors, but RNGod already punished us once for procrastination (and a second time for perversion), so I built us a lord-of-the-flies type invasion force.

@ Greyfox:

GreyFox said:
The Dice

These are standard 6-sided dice. If you don't have a son who owns a Monopoly set like rex_tyranus does, you may consider the virtual dice roller here. But rolling real dice might be part of the fun.

You said that rolling real dice would be fun, well, you were right :lol: let's just hope that rex doesn't exchange the dice he used with the ones of his son's monopoly!

In-topic: maybe you might just go on and finish your turn, rex. There's nothing much to do now, just hope for some religion spread, our almighty RNGod will show us the path! (hopefully, else... :whipped:)

maybe you might just go on and finish your turn, rex.

Will do tonight and really hoping my wife doesn't notice that the contents of her nightstand have been rearranged. Can you imagine explaining this one? I'm probably better off just saying "I'm having an affair."

Back on topic: I think I've built enough warriors to demonstrate devotion to RNGod's plan. Maybe I'll sort of meander a few "menacing" troops up toward JC's way and get back to building settlers and workers.

BTW, is anyone else outraged by RNGod dicking us over vis a vis copper?

Hmm... I guess Iron Working might become a priority...

Ooh! IDEA!

If we capture a worker from JC, would that count as getting something for free? OK, it's not the diplomacy screen, but hey it's a useful unit we didn't have to pay hammers for. We could walk our stack of warriors up and try to liberate an oppressed worker in the name of the one true random lord.

What say you guys?

That's Fox's call. His variant.

My problem with it i, you can't capture a worker unless you declare war. But, unless we wage the entire war without losing a single troop, it isn't free.

Edit to sound more coherent, less drunk.

rex_tyranus said:
That's Fox's call. His variant.

My problem with it i, you can't capture a worker unless you declare war. But, unless we wage the entire war without losing a single troop, it isn't free.

Edit to sound more coherent, less drunk.

haha... yes i agree. I think the only way it could possibly satisfy the variant is if we surprise attack a worker, spirit him away, then make peace. Risky, but if the RNGod commands it, who are we to disobey?

PS: I think that this is the only realistic way we have of completing our mission at this early stage of the game. Without any forms of trading enabled in the diplomacy screen, it's this or failure. If we feel this is cheating, then we cop failure, fair enough.

What about building a city right next to their borders to culturally "steal" an improvement or resource?

Wonderful thing, human mind is. They spit out endless creative ideas at the time of crisis ... never fails to surprise me.

I think I would allow for the stealing of worker. Not the stealing of resources (unless you go pillage ... that is also getting "gold" for free from other Civ). But just for this once. I am sure it is the RNGod 's will to test our adaptiveness to a difficult situation, and see if we an come up with creative ideas :)

All Praise the Holy RNGod! :worship:

-

First off, guys, I didn't go for the warrior sneak as I'd started before reading Fox's approval of it. To me, the spirit was a diplo freebie. Also, I didn't think we could get up there, steal a worker, and manage peace before the time limit was up. JC's at least ten tiles away (RNGod only knows how far he really is) and another ten turns of "refuses to talk" after that leaves a minimum of 20 turns and we only had 24 left at the beginning of my second stint.

Add to that, JC's probably not willing to do peace for free without losing some troops. I didn't think it was terribly viable.

It's pennance time. My apologies to anyone who thinks I "half-assed" it, but I really did think on it a while.

Anyhow, the turns...

Turn 61 (1560 BC)
Okay. I think our people are resigned to failing their RNGod's most recent task. Perhaps a difficult pennance will win back His favor.
Stonehenge is due in 1. We've got another warrior brewing in St. Pete, but I'll switch to something more useful.
Oh look! Free settler. Where does this fit in the dotmap?

Aparently, Pete doesn't have anything more useful to build than a warrior. I guess we can always use another worker.
St. Petersburg begins: Worker
Worker is due in 9
Sending a couple of warriors down to investigate barb city.
Moscow grows: 6
Moscow finishes: Stonehenge

Turn 62 (1520 BC)
Moscow begins: Settler
Okay, Stonehenge is in.
Globe view shows us that we're damn near equitorial. Guess the cold climate really makes the (ant)arctic regions huge, huh?

I agonized over what to build next in Moscow. Pyramids could be built in 19, but I'm not usually a wonder hog. Decide we'd be better served by a settler. Crucify me if you disagree.

Turn 63 (1480 BC)
Scout exploration reveals yet more tundra.

Turn 64 (1440 BC)
Barb warriors spotted well west of Moscow. Will ignore them for the moment.
Moscow's borders expand

Turn 65 (1400 BC)
Okay, all of our currently workable resources are improved.
Moscow is one happy shy of it's limit, so I think I'll connect the gold with roads.

Turn 66 (1360 BC)

Turn 67 (1320 BC)

Turn 68 (1280 BC)

(IBT)Classical Era

Tech learned: Iron Working

Moscow finishes: Settler
St. Petersburg finishes: Worker

Turn 69 (1240 BC)
Moscow begins: Scout
St. Petersburg begins: Warrior
First off, all the tech research times seem really low. Does that mean everyone already has them, or are we in some soret of super commerce mode? Decide to go Priesthood for the path to writing.
Next player can switch research with no penalty, though.
Also assigned another scout to Moscow as it was only one turn away. Also another warrior in Pete. Both of these can be changed by the next player.
We've got iron in a really nice spot.

And again in another.

More iron down south.

Summary:

If my math is right, we have until turn 85 to complete/fail/completely fail our current mission. That's 15 turns away.

I never did the switch to slavery, as I don't think we need it right now.

Next player can swith a ton of stuff without penalty.

Next city should grab the iron West of Moscow.

If the barb city is on a good spot, capture it at size 2+, else raze it as soon as possible. Might also be an XP factory for some units.

The known world

The North:

The South:

Our Empire:

So, we are going to meekly accept pubishment? Ok, at least we get 30 turns to do whatever we want! Let's just hope that we do not roll a 1 ... :worship:

Pretty good turns, I would say. I don't mind much about not going for pyramids, we need to settle more ... 2800 years have passed by and we only have 2 cities.

The barb city was'nt very promising, 1 tile off the coast (barbies are really damned stupid).

Anyone else noticed the irony (pun intended) of the iron appearing exactly where we wanted our (omni's green / mucco's blue) city?

RNGod's Assignments Thus Far
- Seek the RNG God: Started 4000BC, Completed 3240BC, 19 turns.
- 3x1: Learn Wonder-Enabling Tech: Started 3240BC, Completed 2280BC, 24 turns.
- 4x6: Learn New-Unit Tech: Started 2280BC, Completed 1800BC, 11 turns.
- 1x5: Get Something for Free: Started 1800BC, Not Completed, 15 turns remaining.

Roster
-- GreyFox
-- Dansk
-- rex_tyranus == Just Played
-- mucco == UP
-- n0xie == On Deck
-- omni_paul
Reminder: mucco will play 20, n0xie and omni_paul 15 each. 10 turns each thereafter.

-

Top Bottom