General Forum Office of Domestic Policy

:bump: Alright the game is winding up we need some strategies now.

There are 3 plains hill we can move to in the first turn (wait this is a settler so nevermind thatis up to DaveMcW, but once settled...)

If indeed the Office of the president Settles this turn (instead of heading for one of the 3 plains hills reachable)

Then 2 iussues need to be discussed for the Domestic office

1. What to build
2. What to reasearch

But we will wait and see what DaveMcW wants to do with the settler :)

I think we should research Wheel -> Pottery. That will keep our first worker busy for a long time improving floodplains.

I haven't crunched the numbers, but I think we could build a worker first and never have him idle. Though we may want a warrior first for defense.

Attached curtosy of the Office of Domestic policy is our starting map. (I recreated it)

However I put us on an island, this is jsut to experiment with what we can see at the moment. (i.e. wheel==>pottery = cottages)

There are two saves
1. without a fish to the north
2. one with a fish to the north.

Open them up experiment and let me know (I'll be doing the same ;))

In the instruction thread you will only have 10 hammers by 3600BC. Warriors cost 15 hammers. Are you going to insert more hammers or push back the warrior completion?

It's most efficient to get the warrior out the turn the city grows. The question is: size 2 or size 3?

I will double check this over the weekend :salute: thanks for bringing it up, I am off by a hmmer somewhere :(

Anyways As of right now the orders are still good but I will advise after I get a chance to do mroe calculations.

I jsut wanted to get this down since I see we have the save again!!! :band:

i assume that after the warrior we will get a setler (spelling!) or a worker... preferable a settler

Alright the Breakdown of Option 2 Vs. Option 3

Summary:

I belive Option 2 in the long run will be better

Notable:

Option 2:
Already a gain in commerce in the short term which will continue to grow on option 3
When bronze is discovered (if we go for it/ it is in our borders) we can hook it up already having two cottages in place

Option 3:
We get a 3rd unit exploring 10 Turns sooner

However I find that usually my 3rd unit moves around a little but then comes back for the :) in the city, in this case making Option 2 stronger since that warrior will most likely be comming back once the pop approaches 5 and therefore won't explore too much
(We will get and :mad: at size 5 without a unit stationed in the city)

So unless I get a strong argument otherwise I am going with option 2 :D

Regarding the "when to build the worker" issue, always remember that when comparing hammers/commerce of the different options, you have to take into account how long the worker needs to improve tiles, and that we need to utilize Pottery ASAP by constructing early cottages (or we shouldn't have researched it in the first place).

However, before we can construct cottages, we need to improve the other tiles first! Early cottages might give the capital an early science boost, but mid-term we need to build units and settlers to expand. For this, the extra commerce will not help - we need food and hammers instead.

So we want to irrigate the rice and mine the two hills first at least before we start to construct cottages on the floodplains, so that when our capital has reached its maximum size we can stop its growth and have max hammers for units, or max food+hammers for settlers. I always forget the exact number of turns these improvements need, but including worker movement, irrigation plus two mines will take at least 15 turns or so.

Now if we wait too long with building the worker, for example by letting the city grow to size 4 first, we will have wasted our early Pottery research! Instead, we should have researched something that would have been useful immediately, like BW to see where copper is. But since we have gone for Pottery already, we need to utilize it, which means we need an early worker.

In conclusion, I strongly suggest to start building the worker as soon as the warrior has been finished. In single player games, I would have even built the worker right out of the gate, but I guess in a multiplayer environment that is too risky.

-Kylearan

Thanks for the education Memphus and Kylearan! :thanx:

Option 2 is clearly better.
I'd like to change my "vote"

I'm going to learn alot from this game! :)

We can still change our research to BW. Wheel finishes next turn, and we haven't even started Pottery yet.

If we are going to irrigate 1 tile and mine 2 tiles before starting cottages, BW is more important.

Domestic Orders have been modifed to suit the new developments that have arisen :) (I think finding out if we do have cooper is more important, not to mention if in our borders :drool: that would be nice production.)

They will only be a couple turns projected now as I find that more discussion = new changes.

In any event, If you have any questions or comments please don't hesitate to ask.

Summary:
Grow to size 3 then start worker
Research Bronze working, Then pottery

So we'll have 2 warriors (one existing, plus the one we're working on), then a worker, correct?... And that worker won't build cottages immediately, but improve the rice?

Also, we'll see the Copper resource on the map (if it's there, which it better be!!) and be able to build mines before we research Pottery, which we need for the worker to build cottages?

I'm just trying to keep up with the complexities of a game I can't even run ;)

That at least is my suggestion. Irrigating rice yields a 4f tile, and when the city is maxed, working the mined hills gives us hammers. Both will speed up unit and settler production. If we build cottages first, we would have more commerce, but would lack the production power to expand.

We can irrigate and mine already, but my reasoning is that while our worker does this, we can look if we have copper available without losing time, since our worker is preoccupied anyway before he starts to build cottages.

Note that this is just my educated opinion and not the one and only way to play the game. Until someone points out a flaw in my argument I stand to my suggestion; however, Civ 4 is a wonderful complex game that can be played "right" in a lot of ways, including ways I'm not used to. :)

-Kylearan

One argument for cottages first is it makes a really powerful Oracle slingshot.

But in the long run, getting Chu-ko-nu's at 1000BC is useless if we lack the infrastructure to crank them out.

Happy Mothers Day Team!

I am a little tired today, yesterday was my wedding social (for those of you who have no idea what it is, basically a big party where you drink :beer: with all your friends and family)

But down to business:

We are 5 turns away from Bronze Working, so once that is discovered what do we want to research?

To me there are a couple options:
If we have copper in our radius great! If we can get it with a second city we are still good to go.

If we lack copper all together then we need to consider archery...or iron working.

But let's not forget about the oracle..we need to research 3 tech before we can start building it.

So we have some choices here. (boy I am glad the writing option is out of the mix :evil:)

If this was single player I would say research Alphabet, and trade with AI, but with other humans... If we get ALpha to early they may form a gang...

I think we need Pottery next, so the worker has something to do after the hills are improved. We need to build a granary too.

I wouldn't rush to Iron Working if we don't have copper, let's explore some more first.

Top Bottom