Research Rate Adjustments

ElephantU

Deity
I'm looking for any quantitative research into adjusting the tech rate via the variable in RULES.TXT, ie if I change 10 to 15 do all beaker costs increase 50%, is it scaled by number of techs, does the map size factor still apply, etc. Anybody got a good thread link on this variable?

ElephantU: It is sad if nobody can answer this for you, especially after all the help you've given to noobs. I don't know, but I'd guess it simply multiplies every beaker cost by 1.5 (and makes no other changes).

Do you have a helper program such as civ2beakers or civ2admin ? I imagine you could answer your own question quickly with either one.

As far as I know, and if I understand you correctly the tech paradigm part of the cosmic rules has no effect in game at all. But then again, I've beem wrong one, or maximum two times in the past ;)

Civ2beakers? Civ2Admin? Where can I get those?

Eivind, better change that to "maximum three times". I am almost certain it has an effect in some Balsinde scenarios I've played, in which science progress is almost zero. But I've been wrong maybe once in the past. ;)

You can get civ2admin thru Apolyton's GL. I'd suggest one of the later versions (civ2beakers is an early version of the same program).

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81581&perpage=30&pagenumber=2

But after thinking over my first answer, I guess Ele doesn't really need it. For testing, he needs to know how many beakers are required for the next tech, and he can get that easily by setting science to zero. The helper program doesn't tell you that number, but it can explain it after you provide it, and it can tell you how many beakers you have accumulated (as well as find huts and specials, etc).

I just didn't want to "reinvent the wheel" if someone had already done the quantitative research, but looks like I'll have to do it myself. When I get some hard numbers I'll post them back here.

There are two tech paradigm values and they both work (at least in ToT). The first is found in the @COSMIC section of rules.txt. The default value of 10 appears to be its upper limit. At a glance, the relationship between the discovery rate and the tech paradigm value appears to be a linear one. The second tech paradigm value is set in the Cheat menu under Scenario Parameters. It overrides the value from rules.txt and has an upper limit of 32 767, although the minimum discovery rate is one every 1000 turns. The scenario parameters are appended to the SCN file when you save the game as a scenario (Ctrl+Shift+S). Therefore, if you change this value in the Cheat menu and save the game normally (Ctrl+S), it won't be saved to the SAV file and the one from rules.txt will be read on next load. If you want your scenario parameters to be stored in your working SAV file, save the game as a scenario and then change the file extension from SCN to SAV. Work on that one. Further edits to the Scenario Parameters section in the Cheat menu can then be saved to the SAV file using Ctrl+S.

Top Bottom