bulbing / stealing techs increases research costs

Arkatakor

King
As in the title I noticed that bulbing and stealing techs increases research costs; by at least 10-15% per instance. Is this intentional? If so, how does it work? Do tech research costs increase temporarily (in order to stop a given player getting too far ahead) or is the tech cost increase permanent?

Last edited:
As in the title I noticed that bulbing and stealing techs increases research costs; by at least 10-15% per instance. Is this intentional? If so, how does it work? Do tech research costs increase temporarily (in order to stop a given player getting too far ahead) or is the tech cost increase permanent?

Check if you have Realistic Timescale or Flexible Difficulty ON; those might affect the cost of the tech you're researching (but the same applies when you trade a tech, not just when you steal it).

Check if you have Realistic Timescale or Flexible Difficulty ON; those might affect the cost of the tech you're researching (but the same applies when you trade a tech, not just when you steal it).
Thanks for the response; I definitely don't have flexible difficulty enabled.

I am not sure if I have Realistic Timescale on; the version of my mod is quite dated (at least 2 years) and the Realistic Timescale option is not familiar to me, so if its a new feature it most likely does not apply. If its been there for a while I don't remember disabling it. I will check on this. Cheers.

Also, are you familiar with this feature (tech costs increasing)? And if so, do research costs increase permanently? Because of thats the case it comes to a point where its not worth stealing / bulbing techs which in turn throws those aspects of the game out the window. If the research costs are temporary then I think its a good feature, as it balances things out in the long run.

Last edited:
@45°38'N-13°47'E :

Mr Smith has reported a similar bug:
I wonder if they are the same or connected in any way.

Thanks for the response; I definitely don't have flexible difficulty enabled.

I am not sure if I have Realistic Timescale on; the version of my mod is quite dated (at least 2 years) and the Realistic Timescale option is not familiar to me, so if its a new feature it most likely does not apply. If its been there for a while I don't remember disabling it. I will check on this. Cheers.

Also, are you familiar with this feature (tech costs increasing)? And if so, do research costs increase permanently? Because of thats the case it comes to a point where its not worth stealing / bulbing techs which in turn throws those aspects of the game out the window. If the research costs are temporary then I think its a good feature, as it balances things out in the long run.

It's temporary, it's meant to keep things balanced. Realistic Timescale is on by default and it's been there since more than 3 years I think, no changes have been made recently. It's under BUG option, A New Dawn tab IIRC, last column, on the bottom, somewhere near Contact Decay I think.

@45°38'N-13°47'E :

Mr Smith has reported a similar bug:
I wonder if they are the same or connected in any way.

See above, it looks like it's Realistic Timescale; it's working as designed but you can simply switch it off. It's meant so that if you get too far ahead with techs compared to what would be in the "real world", the tech cost gets an increase. Kind of what happens in Realism Invictus.

See above, it looks like it's Realistic Timescale; it's working as designed but you can simply switch it off. It's meant so that if you get too far ahead with techs compared to what would be in the "real world", the tech cost gets an increase. Kind of what happens in Realism Invictus.
Well, I turned off Realistic Timescale and still there was no tech boost for having multiple required techs. I wonder if it's broken in AND2 also, or CoM only?

Top Bottom