Revolution: with BarbarianCiv, Rebellion, AIAutoPlay

Unhappiness from war weariness (wariness?) doesn't count against you in the same way standard unhappiness does in the mod. If your cities would have extra happiness without the war, then you may not get any penalty at all ... you will lose the benefits of the extra happiness you would have had of course.

This was done because citizens who are fed up with your war would not logically start a civil war with you over it. Since it will be an early wonder I imagine, it doesn't seem like it will be an overpowering effect ... but I will keep it in mind though.

Well, if the citizens are against war as a concept, then they would probably not start a civil war... but if they're against that war in particular, then they might be willing to do so. It's happened before (the Russian civil war is a good example) but it is definitely rare. In fact, civil wars breaking out in the middle of foreign wars are very rare even if the foreign war is not the source of the frustration... I guess there's a certain sense of betrayal and it seems rather unpatriotic to try to overthrow your government in the midst of a war against another country.

I would guess that the instances where this occurs is already covered: a foreign people living under the rule of a government they do not consider to represent them (Ireland's little ruckus during WWI for example which could've been much bigger than a single incident if the Germans had gotten their guns to the Irish nationalists successfully). And also, even in the case of the Russian Revolution, if the people hadn't already been so sick of the monarchy for a whole host of other reasons, there wouldn't have been a Kerensky government that would've then been toppled for their refusal to make peace with Germany.

Version 0.88w posted on the FP.

Includes a new component, DynamicCivNames, that renames civs based on their civics and status ... I think it's pretty cool, adds some flavor to the game without changing gameplay at all. Some tweaks and new features for Revolutions as well, including small revolts to warn you that a city is contemplating revolting. Also, for those who are merging this with other mods, there were important structural changes that should make this easier in the future.

Full change list:

Version 0.88w

Added DynamicCivNames component to make names of civs change with civics, status
Changed Python file locations to make Mod merging easier
Created RevolutionInit.py to handle all initialization of mod components so that CvCustomEventManager is less cluttered in merged mods
RevolutionInit also handles the active components popup and the missing config file popup
Initialization call from CvCustomEventManager now passes string for config file name to facilitate merging, better report missing config files
Added section [RevConfig] to Revolution.ini to clarify which are non-generic config file settings
Added clarifications to XML_FAQ which explains how civics XML settings impact revolutions
All python code is now tab free (uses spaces) to end display problems in different editors

Revolution:
- Added feature where cities in warning and danger states will occasionally fall into disorder for a turn, a "small revolt"
- Messages will now be entered in the event log
- Removed penalty for occupation for 1 turn remaining so small revolts don't cause situation to explode
- Increased penalty for occupation for 2+ turns remaining
- Increased penalty for cities not connected to capital
- Lowered threshold for unhappy cities to revolt
- Increased garrison effect from walls and castles now computed using the building defence XML variable
- Increased unhappiness penalty
- Increased extra happiness benefit, especially for 6 and up
- Small population now only benefits otherwise rebellious cities, doesn't overly stabilize stable ones
- Location effects cut in half for "government centers" (ie Forbidden Palace, Versailles cities)
- Location effect from courthouse now determined using cities maintenance modifier
- Flagged a few locations in the code as prime "multiplayer warning" spots
- Rebels troops will now usually spawn closer to city, next to city if possible
- Rebel reinforcements will now usually spawn closer to city, next to city if possible
- Rebel civs now given Motherland's map after map trading is enabled
- Increased amount of gold given to rebels
- Changed when rebel civs are set alive, rev turn recorded to support dynamic names
- General code cleanup, organization, improved code section comment delimiters

RevUtils:
- Fixed bug where cityless rebels with no cause were left in the field if they had any non-military unit, instead of just a settler
- Added isCommunism and isFreeSpeech to support DynamicCivNames
- Changed canDoElection to isCanDoElections
- Changes to player civics recording to support DynamicCivNames
- Component now registers events before Revolution to support DynamicCivNames

BarbarianCiv:
- Barb settling now recorded in event log
- Militaristic barbs now have 50% chance of getting a great general (up from 40%)

AIAutoPlay:
- CanCancel bool now stored in CyGame so if you're running automation and then need to load an autosave you can cancel it
- Added game load/start event handlers to support above change

TechDiffusion:
- Exposed 4 variables in the config file
- Teams without Alphabet can now receive diffusion is very far behind
- Fixed bug where effect was not properly decreased for civs that only just qualified for diffusion
- Small tweaks to diffusion formula

Tester:
- Cleaned up some unneeded test/debug code
- Removed active components popup logic now handled by RevolutionInit
- Ctrl-Shift-Q no longer shows what components are active

CvCustomEventManager:
- Changed to use new RevolutionInit class to handle initialization

RevolutionText.xml:
- Added TXT_KEY_REV_MESS_SMALL_REVOLT

Cool! Downloading now. I've had some people requesting a new version of Amravolution (even though I didn't do that originally) so I'll see if this makes it any easier to merge them. If I can, is it okay to post it in the downloads database, equal credit to both of us of course?

Cool! Downloading now. I've had some people requesting a new version of Amravolution (even though I didn't do that originally) so I'll see if this makes it any easier to merge them. If I can, is it okay to post it in the downloads database, equal credit to both of us of course?

Absolutely! Let me know if you run into difficulties I might be able to help with ...

Hmm... this is great! I didn't even know you were working on fleshing out the dynamic civ names...

Now, I know this is only in its infancy, but does this change the name of a civ even when a player carries out a revolution? Or only when a new civ forms? And does a newly formed rebel civ retain the name of the original civ somewhere in its new title?

Hmm... this is great! I didn't even know you were working on fleshing out the dynamic civ names...

Now, I know this is only in its infancy, but does this change the name of a civ even when a player carries out a revolution? Or only when a new civ forms? And does a newly formed rebel civ retain the name of the original civ somewhere in its new title?

If you are asked to switch to new civics by some upstart revolutionaries and agree to their demands, yes your civ name changes. Of course it also works if you manually switch civics the old fashioned way.

New civs do not currently carry part of the name of their motherland ... I decided that if Japan emerges at some point in the game, their name will always include Japan somehow. So, if they rebelled from China their name will be the Japanese Rebels (or something similar) for a while. Sometimes they will pick up the name of the city that started it all.

It would be possible to instead name them Chinese Separatists, and refer to their territory as New Chinese or North Chinese or something, but the civ is still fundamentally Japanese so I thought that might be confusing. It would be possible to have multiple versions of the same civ on the map, the only issue would be colors and flags (and leaders for some civs, I guess).

How weird: the game failed to sense my .ini file, yet it is there.

Also, at no point except with the independence of Egypt from my Rome did a dynamic name occur: The Egyptian Rebels of Pisae. As far as multiple versions of the same civ goes: why not assign them a random colour? Could work.

I just downloaded the 0.88w version of Revolution and I cannot understand why it will not work. I extracted the files to warlords/mods/ and I cleared the cache. I think I am clicking the correct link but Im not sure because the file isn't very big. Please Help.

If you are asked to switch to new civics by some upstart revolutionaries and agree to their demands, yes your civ name changes. Of course it also works if you manually switch civics the old fashioned way.

New civs do not currently carry part of the name of their motherland ... I decided that if Japan emerges at some point in the game, their name will always include Japan somehow. So, if they rebelled from China their name will be the Japanese Rebels (or something similar) for a while. Sometimes they will pick up the name of the city that started it all.

It would be possible to instead name them Chinese Separatists, and refer to their territory as New Chinese or North Chinese or something, but the civ is still fundamentally Japanese so I thought that might be confusing. It would be possible to have multiple versions of the same civ on the map, the only issue would be colors and flags (and leaders for some civs, I guess).

Well, there's a lot of issues to be dealt with here... I think if its originally Chinese cities rebelling, the new civ should retain the name "China". If it's the conquered Japanese cities trying to regain their nation-state, it should have the name "Japan"... of course, the problem arises in the graphics since if it were the former, you'd have a guy who looks like Tokugawa called Li Mu Bai or whatever who is the leader of the Grand Duchy of China or something. It would look a bit strange.

One alternative is to have unplayable dummy civilizations that would have graphics ready that would take the place of such resulting rebel leaders. You could have five or six of them based... a European, African, East Asian, South Asian, MesoAmerican, etc. that would get a name from a pre-defined list and a civ name related to the civ it just split away from. They wouldn't have any UUs or UBs and would basically be destroyed either A) if the rebellion fails and they're crushed, or B) if the rebellion succeeds and they basically assume control of the parent civ. But if the rebellion destroys the parent government, in terms of the actual code, the rebel civ would be destroyed, the parent civ reinitiated but instead it would inherit the name, leader, civics and diplomatic standings of the rebel civ. Revolutionary civs rather than separatist civs should probably be more aggressive and try to conquer the capital quickly rather than play defensively since the goal is not to split away from but rather overthrow the existing government.

Unfortunately though, then we'd have a new victorious leader of a civ who looks strangely like the guy who was just overthrown (unless every civ has at least two leaderheads)... Ultimately, I think we've got sound reasoning for doing away with leaderhead graphics in this mod as much as I do love them.

Toleco (and others):

Step by step guide, slightly edited from what glider posted not too long ago:

1. Download the mod file from here. The file will be called Revolution_x.xxw.zip and be >2MB:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downlo...o=file&id=1442

2. Copy the file to your Warlords mods directory with a directory path is something like this:
C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Warlords\Mods

3. Right click on the file and select something like "extract to here" or "unzip to here".

4. The resulting unzipped folder should be called Revolution. Open it. If it contains a bunch of text files and a folder called Assets, you're set. If it contains only a folder called Revolution, move that folder into the Mods folder.

4. Start up Warlords.

5. Go to "Advanced" in the menu options

6. "Load a Mod" in the menu options

7. Select "Revolution"

8. Go play and have fun.

How weird: the game failed to sense my .ini file, yet it is there.

Also, at no point except with the independence of Egypt from my Rome did a dynamic name occur: The Egyptian Rebels of Pisae. As far as multiple versions of the same civ goes: why not assign them a random colour? Could work.

The popup that tells you it can't find the ini file also says where it's looking. Is the mod installed there? When that issue is cleared up, you should see the dynamic names in effect.

I realized after I had posted that reply what I had been doing and I was able to fix it.

Working now :) I previously had overwritten the old files, but my guess is some files are now obsolete or some didn't properly get replaced.

The Dynamic Names are a great addition, bit of a shame we can't see our own state's name. Also, I have noticed that the recent version makes small revolts too common. And at one point the Kingdom of America went back to being the American Empire, though I suspect this was the anarchy between a revolution.

Several pieces of feedback I'd be interested in hearing about:

- The new small revolts feature ... it's supposed to make you realize a revolt may be brewing in the city. Is it effective? Are they too frequent?

- More thoughts on names for civs, particularly synonyms for Rebels, Empire, Kingdom, etc. I'm thinking about how to produce multiple versions of the same civ, but if you have general suggestions those will work sooner.

- I'm contemplating adding a feature where under Organized Religion or Theocracy, minority religions may disappear from a city if you haven't built any buildings for that religion. Thoughts? This would be instead of having inquisitors.

#3 That would work :)

Also, with the discovery of constitution, I believe it should be possible to have the civic of a Constitutional Monarchy, or a parliamentary monarchy, which would be a sort of combi between hereditary rule and representation.

As far as new synonyms: Serene Republic of, Principality, Duchy, Reich (for Germany)

:lol: I'd never heard of a "Serene Republic", but I looked it up just now... actually most translate to "the Most Serene Republic of ..." I like that. I wouldn't keep "the Most" part since that'd take up too much space.

I'd rather minority religions remain a perpetual thorn in the side personally...

Small revolts: I had two cities that had small revolts frequently and yet they never boiled over into a full revolt. The situations were so bad in them that I couldn't really imagine what it would take for it to actually become a full-scale rebellion...

Top Bottom