Genetic Era Mod - Repost... and Revival?

primem0ver

Emperor
I am one of the developers of the old Genetic Era Mod. I am mainly posting this in case anyone is still looking for it. (Download here)

I could never get into Civ 5 and after seeing reviews, I didn't even try Civ 6. After trying to get into C2C a few times over the years and never being able to finish a game (too long and complex for my tastes; especially for a single threaded game), I really wanted to play Civ and tried my old mod again after probably 10 years. Loving it. I am thinking of adding a few new things (mostly "minor" changes), including features from C2C that I really loved about that mod (basically a few of the resources, terrains, and terrain features). Wondering if anyone else still plays this mod ever. I noticed in the old thread (a few years ago) that someone asked for the download. I didn't have access to the thread then (since Dubmetender started it) and still don't. I have posted it here (link is also above). I do not anticipate updating it for BtS; at least not for a while. That would be a monstrous task due to the BtS source code changes and the incompatibility of my events engine with the BtS events engine and I am a very busy person. I like my event engine better anyway... and the only thing about BtS I really enjoy is espionage.

Just took a look at your mod :). Really like some of the features. Especially the civics screen. I am guessing it is for BtS. I really wish BtS events were more compatible with my system. If they were I would convert it and perhaps we could work together. As is though, I am thoroughly invested in a startup company while teaching and getting my masters degree and so I don't have a lot of time! However, when I find it, I may make some improvements to my mod. Mind if I implement a few features of yours (eventually)?

I use VS 2022 now for my coding needs. Any tips on getting the dll to compile on older C++ versions? Or do you still use older versions yourself?

Well
@primem0ver ,
first, ill be more than happy to see my work in other places, even more today, when civ4 is push to the shelfs of history...

if i were you,
would be hard to continue the genetic, working on a warlords mod.. is... way obsolete. its a different more inferior game vs modded civ4 bts.
youll be better off, start modding from kmod, kek mod or as i did, advciv (best ai mod today).
you could do stuff quick as you have much to draw from,
or,
you can work with me if you want, im always happy to keep nurturing my mod with unique ideas.

i work with vs 2017 , using all of the pre made stuff from the mods i mentioned,
i use winmerge and agent ransack and sublime.

anyway,
im here for you for anything you want.

i too work in a startup company and busy to my neck with real life, but,
as Jeff Goldblum once said , "Life (Civ) finds a way..."🦕

Well
@primem0ver ,
first, ill be more than happy to see my work in other places, even more today, when civ4 is push to the shelfs of history...

if i were you,
would be hard to continue the genetic, working on a warlords mod.. is... way obsolete. its a different more inferior game vs modded civ4 bts.
youll be better off, start modding from kmod, kek mod or as i did, advciv (best ai mod today).
🦕...
I am not finding the original mod descriptions for the mods you mention. Though I like the look of yours for the most part. Does your mod add a whole bunch of complexity? C2C's Bonus system in terms of how you used bonuses to create a myriad of other bonuses using buildings, a myriad of buildings to be built in a city, and other complexities were way too much for me. Also, how quick are turns? I don't want to get to the modern era and have turns take forever. Much of the merge would be annoying but not too complex except for the event engine in my own (which I think makes more sense for the most part... except maybe some of the event ages).

HI,
Kmod is in the projects section threads,
AdvCiv is on the mods thread (my thread has a link to it.

speed,
AdvCiv is the fastest turn time. once you see the document the author did, you will be amazed by the level of design.

Bonuses -> i have not used an elaborate bonus myriad. i had it once, but i found its too complex for the Ai so, i didnt put effort on writing code for it.
My mod has lots of game mechanics as game options -> i wrote it all in my thread.

Merge,
well, depends to where and how you gonna merge.
if you are taking Vanilla AdvCiv and pick the parts you want from my mod to there, it should be easy. all my code is marked with comments.
if you'll go to kmod Vanilla -> i have older compatible version of my mod that are build on Kmod. but if doing my mod to Kmod,
it would be a bit difficult since, you'll have to very very familiar with the advciv core cpp changes.

read some on the Advciv thread , try to play it even to get its feel.
---
there isnt another mod i can recommend for infrastructure other than these.
c2c is huge and complicated and its a rough one to start on.

DEFINITELY going with Advciv and probably yours. I like the balanced approach and the short turn times... both musts as far as I am concerned. Like the creator, I think the original AI is a bit too passive (my current game hasn't had ANY wars); but I don't want to constantly face war either. The Barbarian shifts increasing with time is a good approach as well. Lots to like there.

I see that your mod has a Great Explorer unit. Did you think of giving it some more unique ability? Something that is really a great exploration thing and not just another unit boost?

Yup. It already has a unique ability that I am pretty sure I documented in one of the primary posts in the Generic Era Thread (though it was not under my account since the original posts were made by Dubmetender). Its unique ability is that when it provides a +2 movement boost to any group of units it is part of. However, it has the weakness in that it doesn't currently serve any other purpose other than quick exploration. Just this weekend I decided I would give it a "final mission" or two it can perform at the cost of the unit (though I haven't decided yet on what that/those will be).

Just this weekend I decided I would give it a "final mission" or two it can perform at the cost of the unit (though I haven't decided yet on what that/those will be).
Than allow me to come up with some ideas, some brainstorming:

Make contact: Sacrifice the Great Explorer to make contact with an unknown civilization and boost initial relationship by +5.
(Maybe it shouldn't be a random foreign civ but the one whose capital is the closest to yours)

Great idea! Though generally when I want to get rid of my explorers, I already know all the civs on the map. I had thought of another as well. Hopefully I can remember and think of a few more to give the player a few choices.

@keldath

Have a question. Took a quick look at the DLL code provided by your mod. Did you make any changes and do you know enough about it? My main interest right now is map generation because I have been trying for years to add a geologic and climate simulator with the produced map. I think I may finally have a starting algorithm idea down (that isn't so complicated that it will take forever... my original downfall). I want to be able to take the entire map from the start of the game and clear all terrain data (including plot types), feature data, bonus data, and river data, while saving all paced units and whether a plot is ocean or land. Thats it. However, I want the user to be able to pick the original map script of their choice. The reason I want to keep this data is because I want to use the original map script to create the world they desire. Then run a geology and climate simulator to produce a realistic map (the algorithm for which I have been developing slowly for years). I just need to know where in the beginning of the game to do this and I think I have narrowed it down to two methods (I listed the third because I am curious about it):

DllExport void setInitialItems();
DllExport void regenerateMap();
void showDawnOfMan(); // advc.004j

Is regenerateMap() called at the beginning? Or is this ONLY for regeneration after a map is already in place? If the latter, I suppose I can use setInitialItems() to put in my code (or a call to external code). Otherwise I am guessing I can put it at the end of regenerateMap(). Would you know?

Also... do you know if there is a way to call code in a .NET library, or external library for the purpose of calling code in a .NET library? This isn't necessary but would save me some time. I am using .NET to test my code because building a UI there is just so much faster.

hey man,
i did not change code of the map regeneration parts so i cant advise you on that.
f1rpo has done so in his ADVciv.

i would assume that code will be in the cvMap files, initcore, game, plot and such.
youll have to do some trial and error where to place your code. i would say in the end usually, but do some tests on it.

.NET, thats less of my area.
im not a cpp programmer, but i know to write code for civ and i know python.
.NET i have not so, cant advice you here also.
im intrigued by what are you gonna do with it and UI that you mentioned!

feel free to shoot questions, ill reply for any.

--
not sure if there are many coders left to answer , but you can try...

@keldath You mentioned earlier that you work with VS 2017. I can't compile the code using VS 2017. All kinds of errors, probably because it is using later headers from the C++ dev kit that comes with VS 2017. Is there a link to the project you mention? I downloaded your kmod-adv-Doto-master and that doesn't seem to have project files to use as a reference for using the proper settings.

Top Bottom