• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Manhattan Project Question

Wells

Chieftain
I would like to change the Manhattan Project to a national project that let's the building civilization construct nuclear weapons without letting the entire map make the damned things. (other countries should get their own nuclear weapon project). I have been looking for the Manhattan Project in the XML files however I cannot seem to find it.
Where is the that building located? Also, since this is my first attempt to mod anything in Civilization, How would you change such a thing?

Well, after a bit more searching, I think I might have found a little bit of what I need. The Project is in .../XML/GameInfo/CIV4ProjectInfo.xml not .../XML/Buildings/... . furthermore I see

<Type>PROJECT_MANHATTAN_PROJECT</Type>
stuff
<iMaxGlobalInstances>1</iMaxGlobalInstances>
<iMaxTeamInstances>-1</iMaxTeamInstances>
more stuff
<EveryoneSpecialUnit>SPECIALUNIT_NUKE</EveryoneSpecialUnit>
<EveryoneSpecialBuilding>SPECIALBUILDING_BOMB_SHELTER</EveryoneSpecialBuilding>
ect.

I can imagine that the first part should become
<iMaxGlobalInstances>-1</iMaxGlobalInstances>
<iMaxTeamInstances>1</iMaxTeamInstances>

There is also a second file in Beyond the Sword (which is what I'm trying to modify) the interesting looking part looks like this
<EveryoneSpecialBuilding>SPECIALBUILDING_BOMB_SHELTER</EveryoneSpecialBuilding>
<bSpaceship>0</bSpaceship>
<bAllowsNukes>1</bAllowsNukes>

I was able to change it so that it is a team project instead of a world project. However I haven't been able to figure out how to change it so that it doesn't have world wide effects. I wish to intentionally leave the ability of other civilizations to build SDI and Bomb Shelters even if they haven't build a Manhattan Project. I've tried making the Manhattan project give a unique resource, but the project is not in a city so that won't work, and I've also tried altering the units so that they need the Manhattan Project to be built (like space ship parts need the Apollo Project to be built,) I had to change the unit's XML file and the unit's Schema, it loads just fine but that doesn't appear to work.

I think it might have something to do with the actual C++ code. I've found the class for the units, but I cannot find the class for the projects.

First remove it from the projects file and create a new building in the buildings file. This new building will be the Manhattan Project. Next set the Bomb Shelter and ICBM to require the Manhattan Project.

I got it to work, Thank you Zebra 9.

For everyone else I'll tell you how I did it. It's kinda more complex than it looks (or should be)

You need a mod with the following files

GameInfo
CIV4ProjectInfo.xml

Buildings
CIV4BuildingClassInfos.xml
CIV4BuildingInfos.xml

Units
CIV4UnitInfos.xml

Terrain
CIV4BonusInfos.xml

Text
CIV4GameText_Civilopedia_Bonuses.xml
CIV4GameTextInfos_Objects.xml

In CIV4ProjectInfo.xml you need to erase the Manhattan Project and set the required project for the SDI to NONE.

In CIV4BuildingClassInfos.xml you need to create a building class BUILDINGCLASS_MANHATTAN_PROJECT with no world limit, no team limit, 1 per player, and no extras.

In CIV4BuildingInfos.xml you need to set the Bomb Shelter's specialbuildingclass to NONE, and create a building of building class BUILDINGCLASS_MANHATTAN_PROJECT. The Pentagon is a decent template. The building should cost 1500, allow nukes, get a production bonus from Uranium, cause no great person points to rack up, cause no happiness or sadness, or sickness, or health, ect. Like the project would do. I used the art for the bomb shelter as the art. It should also give the civilization that built it 1 resource called "Weapons grade"

In CIV4UnitInfos.xml I changed the tactical nuke as well as the ICBM to require weapons grade as well as uranium.

In CIV4BonusInfos.xml I created a resource called weapons grade that can be found nowhere on the map (hit movies is a good template), I used the uranium art.

In CIV4GameText_Civilopedia_Bonuses.xml I described weapons grade uranium

In CIV4GameTextInfos_Objects.xml I created a key so that weapons grade uranium won't be known as hit movies.

That all should work, plus the United Nations will ban Manhattan Projects if nukes are banned. I would upload the mod, except I have one question. Will the AI figure out what it has to do to get nuclear weapons?

Try it out and see... I've found that many units and buildings are automatically used by the AI. This is a special case where it gives a resource required for another unit, though, which it might not know how to aim for properly.

good chance the AI will just build it without knowledge that it brings nukes. and hten build nukes.

I saw an AI make it. (It was a hemispheres map, standard size, Deity level, after I made the thing cost 800 instead of 1500, after I made the thing give 3 great person points, after I started a war with the world builder, yea yea yea, But an AI made it). You can look it over Here.

What about making it a two-tiered event? First, someone must build the world project of Applied Fission, and then each country has to build the (easier) manhattan project national project.

One reason why the Manhattan project works the way it does is because this way one player can't rush for nukes, build them, and use them while everyone else has nothing applicable.

One reason why the Manhattan project works the way it does is because this way one player can't rush for nukes, build them, and use them while everyone else has nothing applicable.

Hiroshima? Nagasaki? I always thought that was one of the big points of the Manhattan Project -- getting it first so you have a one-up on everybody else. At any rate, I have been able to do this even with the current one-for-all system, but making it a national wonder always seemed more logical to me.

I've talked about a happy medium with the present system before, wherein the person who builds the Manhattan Project gets a few free nukes, to simulate the short monopoly on nuclear weapons. Then everybody else can start building them if they have the required techs.

I feel the same. What's the point in wasting production to help every civilization build nuclear weapon. At least the world wonder should give you a bonus for building ICBMs. I really want to change it to a national wonder also.

1. Change MHP to national wonder. (Delete the project and create in Civ4BuildingInfos.xml)
2. In Civ4BuildingInfos.xml change bAllowsNukes to 1 for MHP.

I believe that should be it. I requested this ability of Firaxis during development. :)

Two questions:
1) Wells, what do I do with all these files in the zip? Do I just copy these into a custom folder or what? I'm not overly sure. I do like the addition of Weapons Grade Uranium.

2) Dale, with regards to # 1, do we just cut the info from the projects section over to the Civ4BuildingInfos.xml or do we have to recreate from scratch?

You can't just copy/paste from projects to buildings. It needs to be created from scratch.

Top Bottom