Sidar and Arawn

Ekolite

Deity
What exactly is the relationship between the sidar and arawn? I've heard that they worship him but he hates their guts or something. Would someone care to explain lol. Also, if anyone has any info about them. Obviously not what's coming out in shadow, just anything we already knew or havee been told. I'm playing a shade in a forum game so I just want a little background info. Besides, I love the theme of the sidar, they will probs be the first civ I play when shadow comes out.

I've already read the pedia of Morgoth (or should I say Sandalphon ;)) and the Sidar.

Arawn is the god of death and formerly life too.
The sidar are humans who consume their souls to be able to live forever.

They seem to be more or less Arawn's worshippers but he "ignores what few worshippers he has left", according to the canon info.

I think that Arawn accepts the sidar because they are just extending their lives and only keeping their souls away from his realm, while he despises necromancy as it grabs souls back from his vault to the world. The sidar share this and Rathus Denmora (a sidar,their hero) got the quest of bringing balance to the world and kill those who "wield death as if they were Arawn himself"

Then add Varn Gosam, the archmage-whose-name-I-don't-remember, the once-elves, Mulcarn, Mulcarn's dragon, Auric Ulvin, Chalid, Talia, that angel of Arawn who gave the Nether Blade, Perpentach, Kylorin and some others to get very confused:D

No me neither. But anyway, I thought Arawn hated the Sidar because they have kinda escaped him. I'm sure I read that somewhere?

Nope

That's what many people think, but look at Rathus's 'pedia entry.

He is obviously a sidar
He clearly got that blade from that Arawn's angel

->Arawn can't hate sidar more than slaughterers.
->the theory of souls, necromancy and sidar

Yes but Arawn's angels don't necessarilly have the same views as him. Think about when Bhaal fell. Bridget, her archangel rebeled against her and many of her angels defected to other 'Gods', mostly to Lugus.

Also, it says somewhere that the Sidar din't consume their souls but traded all (or part of it?) to something else. Thus Arawn hates them because they gave their souls to someone else? Don't know who they traded it to, Agares maybe?

Not Agares, they aren't Ashen Veil savants.
I think Arawn doesn't hate them, but just ignores them.

It would also explain why the Sidar hate necromancy despite of their own soultinkering.

O mighty Kael, come and solve our troubles, bring thy eternal wisdom, knowledge and power here to us mortals and tell us the answer to this question.:p

Yeah please. I know Arawn generally chooses to ignore his wprshippers and doesn't really have an opinion or care about them but I think it meant other worshippers, Ie. not Sidar. He ignores the Sidar too, but he doesbn't like them because they're kinda cheating him.

I think I heard that Rathus got tricked into taking the nether blade so that some evil angel could raise an army of the most powerfull heroes after they die

Arawn is focused on the underworld and doesn't really care what happens in creation. He doesn't like necromancy, but not enough to do anything about it. The compact would allow him to empower priests to go fight undead, but he really can't be bothered. He is similarly apethedic towards the Sidar.

Saying that the Sidar worship Arawn is probably to much. Its better to say that they revere him (not that he cares).

The underworld itself is infinitly large and changes to reflect the emotional state of those within it (many would say the world works the same way but it takes more time). It is not controlled by the powerful wills of the gods as the vaults are so the dead spirits unconsciouly create their worlds within it. Some of these areas are shared by several spirits, some are alone.

The darker spirits are usually claimed by one of the evil gods and whisked off to hell, so you don't see anything to horrifying in the underworld. Though there can be pretty disturbing sites. Some places are pleasent (grass fields where children play), some can be dark (ruins of a house with the echoes of crying throughout), some are bizarre (a city that runs in reverse).

Arawn was intially the god of life and death. He created 2 archangels, twins, one to guard the gates that new life enters creation (Basium), and one to guard the entrace to the netherworld (Gyra). Gyra is more compassionate than her brother and she has acted a few times to protect the Sidar (including keeping Basium from wiping them out once), she also helped the enslaved elves escape from the Dungeon of Laroth.

Laroth... a powerful archmage during the Age of Magic, now dead and building his own kingdom in the underworld. One of the few with enough control over himself to use the underworlds reflective nature to create the environment he wants. He is building an army meant to challenge Arawn himself but the normal spirits of the realm are incapable of real action, they are trapped inside their dream worlds. So he needs heroes to die, powerful men with powerful wills to serve as his captains. So he created the Nether Blade and saw that it was delievered to Rathus. Arawn doesn't care if powerful men live or die, but Laroth wants them.

Very interesting. We will get to see Laroth in the game? An Armaggedon Counter event? A scenario? A new civ?

So that was the reason, I was kinda tricked too:p

Better improve my suspicion before I enter the gate

So...why was Basium trying to destroy the Sidar?

Also, how did Laroth get (at least) one of Arawns angels (the one who delivered the Netherblade) to serve him instead of the Arawn?

or a quest to help him by killing another civ's hero.

So...why was Basium trying to destroy the Sidar?

Also, how did Laroth get (at least) one of Arawns angels (the one who delivered the Netherblade) to serve him instead of the Arawn?

Basium was just generally rampaging at the time. He has a very "you are for us or you are against us" mentality. ;)

Several of Arawn's angels have sided with Laroth. They are tired of serving as the administrators of the underworld and want a more aggresive god of death (it doesnt hurt that if their is a power switch they have been promised more powerful positions in the new hiearchy).

Top Bottom