East Asia mod?

Ok, I decided to keep Batik Maker in it's current slot, as I think it fits there pretty well.
Here is the proposed fourth era. I do realise that there isn't that many techs, but it's really hard to come up with useful techs in the last era, so I guess this is how it will be.

YP, glad to see you in charge of this :)

Hospitality --> socialization ???

Haven't read through it all but in the first page you mentionned Vietnam and I agree with the person that gave the idea of using NanYue as when they were pushed south by the Chinese they created Vietnam (at least the northern part).

Thanks. :)

But is socialization any better than hospitality? Both seem very unscientific, and very notsomethingthatcanbediscoveredatacertainpointish.

I did include Nam Viet/Nanyue. In the first post you'll find all the links to what's most important in the thread, they should be easy to go through.

Just a quick thought here: tea drinking, alcohol preparation, and alcohol drinking developed among more elite circles as highly sophisticated cultural practices that had some basis in local interpretations of various philosophies (Japanese "cha-no-yu" was heavily influenced by Zen principles, for example). So how about having the tech referring to the drinking culture specifically? "Hospitality" and "Socialization" are both extremely broad terms and it's quite awkward using either term. ;)

I totally agree! I need some elitist name, like Elitism, High Class or something along those lines. :hmm:

BTW while figuring out what to do with the tech tree's I'm working on getting leaders for the different civilizations, so if any of you have some good ones, just post. :)

Yoda Power said:
I totally agree! I need some elitist name, like Elitism, High Class or something along those lines. :hmm:

How about just calling it "Tea Ceremony" for now as a placeholder name? It's a bit awkward with the inclusion of alcoholic beverages and taverns, but I think it's less awkward than "Hospitality." :) Or maybe "Drinking Ceremony"...? Finding a name for this is a tough one...

How about just calling it "Tea Ceremony" for now as a placeholder name? It's a bit awkward with the inclusion of alcoholic beverages and taverns, but I think it's less awkward than "Hospitality." :) Or maybe "Drinking Ceremony"...? Finding a name for this is a tough one...
"Willow World" ... "Floating World"?

Blue Monkey said:
"Willow World" ... "Floating World"?

"Floating World" comes a bit late and it refers to the culture of the licensed quarters (geishas, entertainment districts, etc.) in the Edo Period.

"Floating World" comes a bit late and it refers to the culture of the licensed quarters (geishas, entertainment districts, etc.) in the Edo Period.
It was your comment about the taverns and alcohol that set my thoughts in that direction.

Christmas update

Finally I have a somewhat playable version. It's not ready for a beta-release though. Basicly I have arranged all the needed stuff (techs, buildings, units, govs, etc) so the mod can be played. But I still need to finetune everything. Then there's all the graphics, I have tons and tons of icons to add, and then there's the civilopedia, which is 0% done at the moment.

After that I can probably release a beta version for testing by the community, but there will still need to be added all the flavour stuff at that point. However just having a playable version after less than two months is a succes as far as I can see, so there's probably hope for a beta release in the spring, which is quite fast compared to most mods. ;)

I tried a game on a random map with Vijayanagara. The game played pretty well, and I actually managed to get a pretty good start. But Japan (red) would soon destroy my neighbour Korea, and just after this screenshot was taken they attacked me too, and took Anegondi and Gutti, which sucked. The war went pretty bad and I had to give them one of my cities for peace, but then the Manchurians (not in picture) attacked me too, and destroyed a newly founded city. I then stopped the game since I wanted to fix the few bugs I had encountered on my way. Anyway here is a screenshot from the first real game played with the East Asia Mod (EAM). Merry Christmas! :D

I see my buildings there. :p

By the way, will you be using classical names or modern names to refer to Korea and Japan? Korea's classical name was "Joseon" (although in historical records, it has been re-named "Gojoseon to distinguish it from the medieval Joseon Dynasty); Japan was "Wa" or "Yamato" although "Nippon" / "Nihon" was also used.

Well I'm using the modern names Japan and Korea, simply because that's how it is in the vanilla game, but if you think that sucks, I'm open to change that to Joseon and Nippon. :)

The other civs you have use more specific names so perhaps Japan and Korea could use less modern names as well, but that's your call. :)

Do you have any specific buildings you need at the moment?

Yes I guess you're right. :)

And thanks for asking. I actually need a Port, Shipyard, Treasury (SW), Great Harbor and Bath (both Indus age wonders) and the Mahabodhi Shrine.

And more, but this is the most urgent. I can post a complete wish-list if you want. ;)

Post a full wish-list if you like. It'd be easier for me to know what buildings are needed more. :)

You asked for it. :D

In random order:
Indian style Palace
Indian style Castle/Keep
Indian Style Monastery
Artisans Shop, both in Indian and Eastern style
Shipyard
Port
Protectorate (not a building as such, but more like a momument or something like that)
Treasury
The Eightfold Path (not a real building either)
Great Harbor of Lothal
Great Bath of Mohenjo-Daro
Dholavira Reservoirs
Mahabodhi Shrine
Shri Sammet Shikharji
Ganghwa Dolmen
Southeast Asian style Incense Manufactory
East Asian style Merchant Quarter

BTW I'm going to Istanbul tonight for a few days, so don't worry if I'm not replying, I'll be back around the 8th.

I totally agree! I need some elitist name, like Elitism, High Class or something along those lines.

Politesse.

Top Bottom