new art in progress

Also what do you think of mounted survior rifleman in addition (instead ?) to the spear wielding one. I think seZereth new rifleman would look really cool on a horse.

I definitely want the spear wielding one as an early unit. For rifle, I am not sure how much difference there is between that and a ute. I want to make sure each unit has a useful, unique tactical niche.

Ok, i will give him a spera first then, and we can think a bout a rifleman later.

Edit:
How do most other mods deal with the variations? I can put one of each into the formation. I kind of like having one lead guy with slightly different/better stuff, and the other two guys similar. So I would use two variations. With three different ones, it seems somehow "too random".
Remember, that there are Bikes, Jeep, Horseman and possible UTE upgrades, which will get some of those units rigged on them even tho the units are technically not infantry.

If you count those units in, the problem of "spare" infantry meshes goes away very quickly.
And the great artwork from seZereth will not be "wasted" on those, as the men in the vehicles are clearly visible.

Remember, that there are Bikes, Jeep, Horseman and possible UTE upgrades, which will get some of those units rigged on them even tho the units are technically not infantry.

If you count those units in, the problem of "spare" infantry meshes goes away very quickly.

I agree. So, let's get the survivor biker, jeep rifle and horseman all done, then we can see where we are.

But, maybe a fort and one or two "wall" remapping with barbed wire would be a good next project rather than more varieties of foot units.

I am going to retire Garret's (slightly broken) guardian for now, in favor of seZereth's rifle guardian. Also I will use the "rifle guardian variant with SAM" as the SAM, replacing the vanilla SAM guy I have now.

The longest part of this type of unit replacement is creating the button. I can do it by pasting screenshots together, but they don't come out as nice as "real" buttons. I got a few good buttons from FK2006, but he hasn't posted in a week or two.

what about some formations?
there should be enough mods which already have some, should be easy to implement.
I think it adds a lot to have like 5 scattered survivors instead of 3 guys in a row. and battles look more interesting. have a look at the image linked under my picture, i did that like several years ago, as my start in modding civ. havent touched it since then, but others continued my work.

May I suggest using 4 rifle guys with football armor and the pumpgunner for the guardian unit. and maybe replace thge riflemen with the doubleuzi with helmet and flak vest (included in the machinegunner zip) for a (suggested in the upgrade thread) "normal assault infantry" (not at,sam or machinegun) upgrade. (maybe another variation throwing grenades ;) ).

I don't really like those big formations - the map starts too look crowded, and each figure has to be smaller to make room in the formation, so the details are harder to spot. (And it runs noticeable slower, but it might be just my old hardware)

Sticking one unit with heavy / "main" weapon (MG, AT, Sam) and some grunts with just rifles wight be still a good idea, even on small 3 man formations. But make sure that the right figure is displayed for players who disable formations (I guess it will be the first in the fromation list)

I agree. So, let's get the survivor biker, jeep rifle and horseman all done, then we can see where we are.

But, maybe a fort and one or two "wall" remapping with barbed wire would be a good next project rather than more varieties of foot units.

I dont really know the process which is applied to city walls?
which nif is used in Fury Road to create the wall?
I mean, which one do i have to replace with a barb wire?

I dont really know the process which is applied to city walls?
which nif is used in Fury Road to create the wall?
I mean, which one do i have to replace with a barb wire?

Please see Assets/Art/Structures/walls in the Fury Road distribution. I modified file wall_an.dds to have a rusty sheet metal texture. This is used by files wall01_eu_an.nif and its variants 02 and 04. If you create a city with walls using Fury Road and WB, you can see that the texture is there, but the shape is not good. The original stone wall shape has a thicker section at the top, which does not match the concept of rusty wall. Perhaps changing these three nifs is enough. I am not sure what connects together these three nifs into the actual wall segments which surrounds the town, maybe that is done by SDK rather than any "master nif".

Also, there are several scenarios including Alexander the Great in Warlords, which have two wall buildings: Walls and High Walls. I have not looked into that at all. But I was thinking there could be one "cheap walls" which adds a little defense, maybe just barbed wire and turrets. Then another "walls" which looks more solid.

These arts can probably be re-used for the fort you mentioned a while back.

Beautiful work :)

Please see Assets/Art/Structures/walls in the Fury Road distribution. I modified file wall_an.dds to have a rusty sheet metal texture. This is used by files wall01_eu_an.nif and its variants 02 and 04. If you create a city with walls using Fury Road and WB, you can see that the texture is there, but the shape is not good. The original stone wall shape has a thicker section at the top, which does not match the concept of rusty wall. Perhaps changing these three nifs is enough. I am not sure what connects together these three nifs into the actual wall segments which surrounds the town, maybe that is done by SDK rather than any "master nif".

Also, there are several scenarios including Alexander the Great in Warlords, which have two wall buildings: Walls and High Walls. I have not looked into that at all. But I was thinking there could be one "cheap walls" which adds a little defense, maybe just barbed wire and turrets. Then another "walls" which looks more solid.

These arts can probably be re-used for the fort you mentioned a while back.

I´ll have a look and see what i can do ;)

Miscellanous

Garage building. I am using the stable graphic, which is kind of close, but having a modified version which looks more like a beat-up garage would help.

You know, it is possible to link cityset buildings to an improvement. For this garage you could for instance use the garage graphic in the ind_eu.nif file...

I cooked up a somewhat different UTE. That white pickup looked a bit out of place for my taste - more like a urban car than a off-road combat vehicle.

So tried to make something more rugged and off-road capable. A Land Rover came to mind. Also somewhat inspired by the old C&C generals - used some screenshots from a pickup there for reference.

It's not completely done yet - the figures are not yet animated, just posed. And there is a tiny bit of space left in the texture (that needs some work as well) to add maybe one or two props. I am not sure on the color as well. Maybe rather brownish ? Or full body teamcolor ? :lol:

I cooked up a somewhat different UTE. That white pickup looked a bit out of place for my taste - more like a urban car than a off-road combat vehicle.

So tried to make something more rugged and off-road capable. A Land Rover came to mind. Also somewhat inspired by the old C&C generals - used some screenshots from a pickup there for reference.

The figures are not yet animated, just posed. And there is a tiny bit of space left in the texture (that needs some work as well) to add maybe one or two props. I am not sure on the color as well. Maybe rather brownish ? Or full body teamcolor ? :lol:

Cool. What happens when it drives in forest? The existing ute has trees sticking up through the flatbed, I am not sure if that is possible to fix or not. It'd be great to stick some of the variant survivors in there. The original ute has a machine gun mount; we've discussed about a variety of mounts like crossbow, machine gun, antitank, flamer (well, we hadn't discussed about that one). So there are lots of possibilities.

I am afraid the trees are going to stick through it too... I think they do on original unist as well - i onve had a screenshot of a modern armor having a windmill sticking from the turret. Looked increadible silly... I dont really know how to prevent it.

EDIT.: As i think of it... Waht happens if a chariot enters forest, those are pretty flat too... I will check in the game, and if the chariot does not have trees sticking form it, maybe i can find out how it is done.

This one should be a good bit higher than the original UTE however, so maybe it's enought...

On different mounts - i definitely plan to make some sub-versions of it - it was the whole point of the unit after all. I was thinking to rather put people in it different ways - a bit like in the renders above. Probably will make a "generic" mount as well - for MG and maybe Flamer.

I was rather not planing to put a crossbow on it. I kind of feel there are too many of those in the game already (And as of 0.5 i did not see any reason to actually use them). But if might of course change with the reorganized tech-tree of the new version.

It's not completely done yet - the figures are not yet animated, just posed. And there is a tiny bit of space left in the texture (that needs some work as well) to add maybe one or two props. I am not sure on the color as well. Maybe rather brownish ? Or full body teamcolor ? :lol:

Awesome Stuff!!!!
especially those 2 Uzi guys and the rusted ramshield (could texture style for metal plates armor) :)

But true, i would go with something rather dark, perhaps black or brown with rust and dirt.

Flamethrower and MG would be awesome (another rather silly mechanic would be to actually have a "combine" button when having infantry and UTE on one place and then create that version on the fly ;) but I think AI cant handle that)
For the Uzi guys, I´d suggest using the ones with the helmet, as they look rather generic (the hair is just to much characteristic) and i really love the look of the helmet guy ;)

i was not lazy too :)

check it out here

And there is a tiny bit of space left in the texture (that needs some work as well) to add maybe one or two props. I am not sure on the color as well. Maybe rather brownish ? Or full body teamcolor ? :lol:

Looks fantastic! Since this is the post-apocalypse, the obvious answer seems to be lots and lots of rust and dirt! (with a bit of paint showing through) Maybe a few bulletholes as well to give them that "lived-in" look :D

There is some dirt on it already - i think the dark green base color kind of eats it up. I have it in layers yet, so i will try with different colors. Rust would be cool, if i manage to produce some.

The barbed wire city wall is cool. Not as high as original city walls, looks much better.

@seZereth -- "low" barbed wire walls look great. I will have to investigate more to see how to differentiate between two different kinds of walls. Sadly, I already established that there is no way to have two walls with different resistance to gunpowder units.

On different mounts - i definitely plan to make some sub-versions of it - it was the whole point of the unit after all. I was thinking to rather put people in it different ways - a bit like in the renders above. Probably will make a "generic" mount as well - for MG and maybe Flamer.

I was rather not planing to put a crossbow on it. I kind of feel there are too many of those in the game already (And as of 0.5 i did not see any reason to actually use them). But if might of course change with the reorganized tech-tree of the new version.

The tech tree isn't totally reorganized, just one or two things added and moved. So you can still get combustion independently of small arms. If you have combustion and you don't have small arms, I am not sure what to put on the ute besides a crossbow. A guy with a crowbar? What is the attack animation? It is pretty common (at least in my own playtest games) to have combustion soon and small arms later. So if the first ute the player builds, has a rifle but the player does not have small arms yet, something seems wrong. So if we are designing a ute from scratch, some kind of pre-small-arms animation seems needed.

(And I hate to bring it up again but how about my survivor lancer?)

I had started the work on the landrover while SeZereth was working on more survivors. Now when the survivors arrived i can look into putting one of them on the horse. But not everything can happen at the same time :lol:

Top Bottom