Bug Reporting

Not sure if this is strictly classified as a bug, but wanted to bring it to your attention:

I'm using the latest SVN, and if I access the Civilopedia from the Main Menu and go to the Traits tab, none of the icons or buttons appear. If I access it from the in-game Civilopedia it works as intended. I can post a screenie if necessary.

I have modified the TraitUtil file to add my own traits in, but I don't think my edits would affect this.

Cheers,
ripple01

If I access the Civilopedia from the Main Menu and go to the Traits tab, none of the icons or buttons appear.

The reason is that BUG cannot run its normal initialization code at this point because Civ isn't completely initialized itself. It may be is possible for me to add a special case and initialize just the TraitUtil module when Sevopedia opens up.

Done. :)

I've been trying out BUG for the first time today, but I've got a problem with the city screen icons (all of them) not showing up. It's basically the same issue as a poster in the first page of this thread, but none of the fixes proposed there helped my problem.

I made sure the tga file with the icons was in the correct directory, reinstalled BUG both as a mod and in CustomAssets, and even reinstalled the entire game. Nothing worked.

I'm asking here in case someone knows how to fix that, as a last resort before giving up. :sad:

Edit: That's on Vista, if it matters.

A guy from the German Civ forum has a rather delicate problem (see here for the original thread: click).

He installed BUG Mod with setup as a mod and it's working Ok. But when he starts normal BtS without BUG the whole interface is suddenly gone (there are some screenshots in the above mentioned thread).

I tried to help but I have absolutely no clue how this is happening. Any ideas?

A guy from the German Civ forum . . . installed BUG Mod with setup as a mod and it's working Ok. But when he starts normal BtS without BUG the whole interface is suddenly gone.

Babelfish did a pretty good job on that thread, save for translating "BUG Mod" as "Nose Mod". :lol:

I can't think of any way that installing BUG as a mod could possibly interfere with the normal game. BUG does install a "BUG Mod" folder in "My Games/BTS" to hold its INIs and help files, but I don't see how that could cause a problem.

What happens if he uninstalls BUG completely? Tell him to move the "BUG Mod" folder outside of the BTS folder (so he can save his settings, or just delete it). Also, delete the "BUG Mod" folder in the Mods folder after uninstalling (if it's not deleted by the uninstaller).

Do normal games work then? Also, he should rename his CustomAssets folder to make sure there's nothing random in there. Has he installed other mods or made any changes to files himself?

This is an odd one.

I've got a problem with the city screen icons (all of them) not showing up. It's basically the same issue as a poster in the first page of this thread, but none of the fixes proposed there helped my problem.

:( You've tried all the things we normally suggest. Do you have any other mods installed?

That's on Vista, if it matters.

Hmm, I think all 3 (4?) times someone has reported this, it was on Vista. However, reinstalling Civ4 from scratch worked for all of them so far, IIRC.

Do have the original game plus the expansions, or are you using Civ Gold or Civ Complete which contain everything in one box?

I figured it out. I was doing something wrong when I installed BUG in the mods folder. It's working now. :)

I figured it out. I was doing something wrong when I installed BUG in the mods folder. It's working now. :)

Can you please explain what you did wrong and how you fixed it for when this happens again?

Glad it's working for you!

If you right-click a unit in the BUG-MA Sit-Rep tab, it opens it in Sevopedia just great. However, when you close Sevopedia, you get a mix of the Deployment and Sit-Rep tabs.

You have to click Deployment and then Sit-Rep to clear things up.

Babelfish did a pretty good job on that thread, save for translating "BUG Mod" as "Nose Mod". :lol:

I can't think of any way that installing BUG as a mod could possibly interfere with the normal game. BUG does install a "BUG Mod" folder in "My Games/BTS" to hold its INIs and help files, but I don't see how that could cause a problem.

What happens if he uninstalls BUG completely? Tell him to move the "BUG Mod" folder outside of the BTS folder (so he can save his settings, or just delete it). Also, delete the "BUG Mod" folder in the Mods folder after uninstalling (if it's not deleted by the uninstaller).

Do normal games work then? Also, he should rename his CustomAssets folder to make sure there's nothing random in there. Has he installed other mods or made any changes to files himself?

This is an odd one.
[...]

He renamed the CustomAssets folder and everything went back to normal. :goodjob: I guess, there were still some parts of an earlier installation attempt of BUG Mod in there. :dunno:

I've just discovered some English labels at the options screen (advisors and alerts tab), although they are already translated in the corresponding XML. Taking a look at the Python code, it seems that there is sometimes a double underspace while there is just a single one in the XML. Just a minor bug, I guess. :D

I've just discovered some English labels at the options screen (advisors and alerts tab), although they are already translated in the corresponding XML. Taking a look at the Python code, it seems that there is sometimes a double underspace while there is just a single one in the XML.

Fixed the Python.

Thanks. Feel free to fix problems like this if you're comfortable doing it and you know the cause of the bug. I'm happy to do it myself if not, so no worries. You were spot on. :goodjob:

Fixed the Python.

Thanks. Feel free to fix problems like this if you're comfortable doing it and you know the cause of the bug. I'm happy to do it myself if not, so no worries. You were spot on. :goodjob:

OK. :D But I have to warn you: My coding skills are fairly weak, so I'll count on your forgiveness if things get messed up. :crazyeye:

OK. :D But I have to warn you: My coding skills are fairly weak, so I'll count on your forgiveness if things get messed up. :crazyeye:

All I ask is that you test out whatever changes you make. If it works, go ahead and commit it. If there turns out to be a problem, we can use the Subversion history to mock you fix it or revert.

Some team members *cough* Ruff_Hi *cough* myself *cough* sometimes follow the commit-first-and-maybe-test-later method of coding. :mischief: Don't be like those buttheads. :nono:

Some team members *cough* Ruff_Hi *cough* myself *cough* sometimes follow the commit-first-and-maybe-test-later method of coding. :mischief: Don't be like those buttheads. :nono:
Attn: Mr EmperorFool:

We have been instructed by our client, a Mr Ruff Hi, to contact you about your recent, unfounded, groundless and baseless comment. Said comment sullies the fine coding reputation that our client has worked hard to develop and maintain. Our client has instructed us to forcefully require you to offer an immediate apology and issue a written statement that you will not state (publicly or privately) or think such comments in the future.

Of course, if you offer us a suitable retainer, we are willing to drop Mr Ruff Hi as a client and fully support your action against him.

Yours richly

Mess B. Leed M Dry

This is more a Mod/scenario bug than a BUG bug, but it's something I noticed tonight that everyone should be aware of. I started an Afterworld game tonight and got no interface. The PythonErr.log contained the following:
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "CvAppInterface", line 72, in preGameStart

AttributeError: CvAfterworldEvents instance has no attribute 'fireEvent'
ERR: Python function preGameStart failed, module CvAppInterface

The offending line was one of the BUG core changes:
Code:
# BUG - core - start
	import CvEventInterface
	CvEventInterface.getEventManager().fireEvent("PreGameStart")
# BUG - core - end

Since it didn't make much sense to me for Afterworld to be trying to use the BUG custom python anyhow, to fix it I simply changed Afterworld's INI to enable the NoCustomAssets option.

As stated earlier, this is more of an Afterworld bug than anything else, but I figured everyone should know in case you got a question about it.

I could have CvAppInterface check whether or not it has a BugEventManager before calling fireEvent(), but there could still be other problems. If Afterworld doesn't have its own CvMainInterface, for example, it will break trying to access options for scoreboard and PLE.

Clearly, NoCustomAssets is the best approach, but it does beg the question: should I put guards like the above around BUG code in case it can help avoid the problem? The only time it could avert a problem is when a mod replaced every file that BUG replaces except those in EntryPoints. I think that's quite rare, so it's probably not worth it.

Better to add this to the unwritten FAQ. :(

@EF

I know that you have already worked on this issue :blush:, but the new core has still some problems with default values.
Whith a fresh install, starting a new game cause BUG to create all the ini files for the option tabs, but the default values included in them are different from the default values in BUG.ini (and some of them are strange choices).

A minor bug:
4 labels in the Allerts tab are not using the localized text

A maybe-bug:
some options about PLE (which have also localized text in XML) are not in the BOS (BUG Options Screen);

A minor bug:
4 labels in the Allerts tab are not using the localized text

A maybe-bug:
some options about PLE (which have also localized text in XML) are not in the BOS (BUG Options Screen);

I mentioned that earlier. EF should have fixed it some revisions ago (I think it was 1281).

I guess, some of the PLE options are only available in the INI files. :dunno:

Top Bottom