SGOTM 08 - Smurkz

Methos, Renata, rolo, me and unkle (on IM), that's at least a majority. So I guess you could go ahead if you feel you're strapped for time. The next 10 turns are not crucial for our overall strategy, so I doubt anyone will have complaints there.

If possible, it would be better to road and pre-chop the forests (maybe pre-mine if there's time) and then cash them in for the Pyramids after we get Math. This may require building another worker sooner--don't know how that would fit into your plan. When chopping, start with the forests north of the 2nd city that would otherwise go to the 3rd city (particularly the site of the 3rd city, of course). Sorry, haven't had time to do any testing.

There's not really time for prechops, or at least there doesn't seem to be. My latest version of the scheme for city 2 has our current warrior head over to the eastern plains hill after finishing up with the gold, road there, then go west to the (bare) plains hill and build a mine in time for the new city's growth to size 3. After that he has to skedaddle back to the galley.

The new worker (from town 2) farms the pigs, then (without roading anywhere) heads up north to what will be the site of town 3 and chops and roads that tile. (The roading saves a turn on settler movement to there the same turn.) Then it's back to the wooded plains hill to chop/mine, that finishing hopefully right after mathematics. (But too late to prevent the town from having to work that tile undeveloped for a while. If math is going to come earlier than we think, this could use some tweaking maybe.) Then three more chops around city 2, a fourth chop by city 2 done by the third worker (helped along out of city 3 by that plains hill chop), and finally a 2-pop whip to finish on turn 85.

I'll post the spreadsheet at some point, but it needs major revision to be understandable to anyone but me. The worker instructions are all over the place.

Edit: actually, looking at it again, by switching which worker goes to the galley and which one goes up to the site of city 3, I may be able to get the pigs roaded before moving away, which redeems some of the wasted worker movement. I like that better.

I screwed up twice. Once, I forgot to set Hari-Smurkz (red dot) on the copper so we lost two turns. Then, I thought I was in the IM window and when I hit enter, it cause the game to progress, adding another lost turn to Hari-Smurkz. So Hari-Smurkz is now three turns behind what it should be. My apologies.

Turn 42/500 (2320 BC) [23-Sep-2008 13:32:10]
Yosmurkzhappy begins: Settler (8 turns)

IBT:

Turn 43/500 (2280 BC) [23-Sep-2008 13:34:46]
Methos: Lions in view of the warrior heading towards shaka
Yosmurkzhappy finishes: Settler

IBT:

Turn 44/500 (2240 BC) [23-Sep-2008 13:38:13]
Yosmurkzhappy begins: Settler (12 turns)

IBT:

Turn 45/500 (2200 BC) [23-Sep-2008 13:42:01]
Yasodharapura founded
Hari-Smurkz begins: Worker (15 turns)
Methos: passed lions by but expect an attack on the IT
Yosmurkzhappy finishes: Granary

IBT:
While defending in the wild near Hari-Smurkz, Warrior defeats (1.40/2): Barbarian Lion (Prob Victory: 96.4%)

Turn 46/500 (2160 BC) [23-Sep-2008 13:48:40]
Yosmurkzhappy begins: Work Boat (10 turns)
A Mine was built near Yosmurkzhappy
Warrior promoted: Woodsman I
Methos: Fog busting warrior moved into Hari-Smurkz
Tech learned: Writing

IBT:

Turn 47/500 (2120 BC) [23-Sep-2008 13:56:04]
Research begun: Sailing (6 Turns)
Methos: Set research at 0% for 1 turn
Methos: Ask Shaka for OB and he agrees

IBT:
Civics Change: Shaka(Zululand) from 'Tribalism' to 'Slavery'

Turn 48/500 (2080 BC) [23-Sep-2008 14:00:17]
Yosmurkzhappy grows: 4

IBT:

Turn 49/500 (2040 BC) [23-Sep-2008 14:02:52]
Hari-Smurkz's borders expand

IBT:

Turn 50/500 (2000 BC) [23-Sep-2008 14:13:14]
Yosmurkzhappy grows: 5

IBT:

Turn 51/500 (1960 BC) [23-Sep-2008 14:16:49]

Here's the 1960 BC save.

Attachments

• sgotm08_bc1960.jpg
    sgotm08_bc1960.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 189
  • sgotm08_bc1960_shaka_lands.jpg
    sgotm08_bc1960_shaka_lands.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 203
We forgive you Methos... but if we lose the Pyramids by 1 turn, then :trouble:

Back to the drawing board when it comes to worker moves. Other than that we're on target.

Roster:
  • Xcalibrator - UP!
  • r_rolo1 - On Deck!
  • Niklas - Warming up
  • Renata
  • Backwards Logic
  • Methos - Just played
  • unkle - advisor mode
  • ChrisShaffer - advisor mode

Xc, your time for Smurkz debut! :)

Methos, it's only 1.5 turns since you did half production during those three turns.

Test game revelations: apparently you can hook up ivory without the ability to chop the jungle. I had no idea. We'd get a 1-2-1 tile, 2-2-1 after chopping. So many worker jobs to do, so little time! :p

Also, BL, you were right about that chop being 16 hammers. Thanks.

Being able to sustain size 6 instead of size 5 in the capital would mean we could work an extra tile, so (depending on what we had available at the time) could mean extra commerce, extra hammers, or faster growth for the whip (which could translate into either of the above). It'll be quite helpful, if I can manage to do it and also get all of the Pyramids work done in time.

(And of course it'll be useful for all three towns down the road, but it isn't needed outside the capital in the short term.)

Time for a new WB test game? I'll have several hours tomorrow to play around.

Anybody else been having problems with the Civ server today?

Been meaning to ask--what's all this then about setting research to zero for a turn to avoid slave revolts?

Well, it won't avoid slave revolts, but by setting research to 0 we can stick some gold in the bank to lessen the impact of one should we have the misfortune of getting one. If we have no gold in the bank, there's a chance the slave revolt will continue into the next turn, whereas one of the options is to spend some gold to end the revolt that turn. If I recall, that cost is 10 gold and a loss of 1 population.

Top Bottom