Deity Challenge - HRE

ABigCivFan

Emperor
First Deity challenge of 2009.

Settings: Deity/Standard Size/Fractal/Normal speed/Random Civs/standard settings

Human: HRE (Imperialistic/Protective)
Starting Tech: Myst/Hunting

Enjoy.

4000BC: After moving the scout.

Spoiler :

Moved scout to East to reveal hidden tiles. Just to see what those tiles would be if settle in place. All grass trees, seems like a good REX set up for an Imp leader.

Settle in place
Build worker-warrior-warrior
Tech Agri-Mining-BW-wheel-Archery (all trees in BFC, prob no copper)

2400BC Update:

Spoiler :

Explored Map. No luck with the huts, only popped 1 scout. 2 scouts did a good job exploring.

I quickly found out that this is an extremely crowded map, met 6 AIs @2400BC on the same landmass. will be a very interesting game.

pretty decent land around, now it is a race to grab land/resources against the Deity AIs. Let's see how the Imperial bonus fare here.

2400BC Capital. with Imp bonus, it is 19 hammers/turn towards settler prod, not bad at all. had ~5 warriors fogbusting and 6 turns from Archery.

I have 2 workers chopping and mining ATM.

1600BC 4 cities settled:

Spoiler :

*1st settled gold/pig/flood plain city, will need fast commerce for an aggressive REX.

*2nd settled southern cow/banana/2 suger city by river to grab vital resources and with calender this can be a good GP/commerce city

*3rd settled Stone and river, this is a blocker city to seal Eastern border to Babylon.

More settler/archer on the way for qucik expansion. next will be the southern Dye/banana city, and 6th will be Northern copper/corn city. Imperial really helps in this stage of the game, major settler whoring :lol:

At this pace, 6 cities by 1200BC is totally possible. Most good land already gone to AIs, so I am afraid that is all we can grab for now.

After AH, next will be writing, will need to run scientists to get 2 GS out ASAP and hurry research.

Are we supposed to play by ourselves? If so shouldn't the second post be in spoilers?

Are we supposed to play by ourselves? If so shouldn't the second post be in spoilers?

Yes, this is an open game. Feel free to post your game here and experiment with different strategies. I put the 2nd post in spoiler.

I have played up to 1AD, and found that this map is great for an Imp/Pro leader.

Both traits give economic and military bonus:

Imperial -> Fast settlers and Fast GG
Prot -> cheap castle to boost trade route + superior Archery/gunpowder units

I am really looking forward to utilize these bonuses to their full potential.

Up to 1480 BC

Spoiler :

I basically REXed out as much as I possibly could.

I produced 1 worker to start and then grew to size 5 and began worker #2 after my first settler was done.

City 1

A view of my cities when I ended playing. I want at least 2 more cities, but my economy is in ruins (check the money situation :lol:). Also, I'm afraid Asoka will take the southern dyes. :cry: I want that barbarian city to the south, though. The northern barb city I will raze/resettle to get the corn that's up there.

Mansa and Asoka have Alphabet already.

The tech pace in this game is INCREDIBLE. Also, Elizabeth is in this game (I found this info due to a bug in the foreign advisor) even though I haven't met her.

Any thoughts?

Save:

Attachments

• Charlemagne BC-1480.CivBeyondSwordSave
    131.6 KB · Views: 269
I notice your playing HRE. May I suggest lots of horsemen. They are great for a rush on the AI. :mischief:

I notice your playing HRE. May I suggest lots of horsemen. They are great for a rush on the AI. :mischief:

Hahahahaha. Deity is a bit of an exception, IMO ;).

Probably still doable vs civs w/o iron on marathon. As if the super-sized AIs on deity are ever lacking in resources...

Played to 500 BC. Anyone care to take a look at save/pic and critique? I'm normally Monarch/Emperor, so Deity seemed quite the challenge. Any thoughts on where I should go from here?

Sammcs:

Spoiler :

I would suggest changing your research to Aesthetics. It seems to be a tech that many AI's don't prioritize. I don't have time to check the save but I'm assuming that some AI's already have Code of Laws at this point (in my game Mansa got it before 1500 BC).

Your city in the west should have been placed further south because it has some worthless desert and coast.

Your capital still has its forests, which worries me. You should be chopping a LOT in this certain game.

~DMOC :)

@Sammcs

Spoiler :

You were not aggressive enough at Rexing. With imp/prot should have put all your effort between 4000BC-1000BC to settle at least 6 cities with fast settlers and protective Archers. With just 4 cities and small land mass, you will fall hopelessly behind to these monster research AIs.

No copper/iron/ivory limits your chance of early warring even against the weakeast AI (Saladin).

From here trading and bulbing is your only chance. so run scientist in multiple cities and try to time GS to bulb important techs for trade. But I am afraid 4 cities at 500BC will be very hard to aim for a realistic victory since you can not build Oxford, Gloabe and not enough Cathedrals for cultural.

Le sigh... I knew I didn't grab enough. I actually would have had at least one more city, but a ridiculous barb spawn destroyed one. And had that city existed, the annoying barbs couldn't have planted their city, and then I could've had another. Damn. Start over I guess haha.

Up to 225 BC.

Spoiler :

After moving the scout and getting another one form the hut, I see this:

So I decided to play a little differently than usual and go for Great Wall and then start spamming settlers to utilize imperialistic trait. I settled 1NE to get stone in the BFC, which turned extra well as it turned out that by doing so, i also had gold in the BFC.
What I did not know at this point was that I'm on a very crowded Pangea type of map, and in that scenario barbs are not going to be a problem, beating the AIs to the good spots will be.
So the research went Agriculture first, then Masonry -> The wheel. I also popped Archery from the hut in the meantime.
Capital built Worker->Archer->Great Wall. Archer for military police mostly, because stone was not yet connected.

And so, on turn 38 in 2480 BC:

I succesfully built the GW, but at this point I've met all the AIs and was not so sure building the Wall was a good idea.

I quickly went Mining->BW for chopping and slavery, and rushed 2 settlers to grab as much land as I can ASAP.
First pair of cities went here:

Both great sites, but not in the short run. Before IW they'll just drain money from me. I've put them there mostly to block Mansa and because by this point in the game almost all the good city spots were taken either by barbarian or the AIs.
I wanted to settle Northern Pigs + FloodPlains only to find a barb city there. It was captured by the Babilonians btw, before I had any military units, and also it was impossible for me to capture barb cities without either horses nor metal.

So at that point I decided to go for the Mids chopping settlers in the mean-time. Thus on turn 70, 1200BC I've finished the Mids, immedately revolting to representation.

I wanted to grab Bronze/Marble spot in the north, although it would not have any food, only to find another barb city there.

That was pretty frustrating, but my settler with careful manouvering managed to settle this spot.

It grabs fur and more importantly - horses. It turned out to be a mistake though, as this barb city to the west was quickly captured by Hammurabi, and the Corn was lost to me. Later I also lost Horses due to cultural pressure from eastern babylonian cities. I should have settled this city either 1S for food, or more likely 1E for Horses.

Around that time I've got my 1st great person, a spy at ~80% odds. I settled him for 6 beakers, and 12 EPs which I directed all towards Hammurabi as my most likely future war target.

At 475BC I Finally got Aesthetics, onl yto find out that 3 civs already have it. I fear that these trades might not be available next turn, so I decided against partially researching Alphabet and not to waste any time...

I also got IW for it, from Brennus I think.

Tech pace was incredible and I was falling hopelessly behind. I've put all my efforts into generating a GS to bulb philosophy and catch up in tech, but my second great person turned out to be a spy as well.

Argh! I hate that. It seems every time i build the GW I always get low odds great spies. The odds this time were ~55% for GS, 23% for GE and 23% for GSpy. With GE I could have rushed the Great Library, Scientist would bulb philo, but I had no use of another spy, so I saved him for Golden Age.

In act of desperation, after growing capital to size 12 and building NE there, I've fired my Golden Age, adopted Hinduism (for future pacifism), Caste System, and hired a lot of scientists. I've created 3 GS in short time, fisrt one bulbed Philosophy (sadly, most of the AIs had it by this time, so it was mainly for adopting pacifism). The other 2 bulbed Education.
I was finally catching up technologically, researching Liberalism, at 580 AD when Brennus declared war on me.

I guess he didn't like me being Hindu after all. Having no defences at all and loosing 1 city in the first turn of war, made me throw in the towel. Adopting Hinduism/Pacifism was a desperate gambit that didn't work. If I could only survive until Liberalism->Nationalism shot, i'd have some chances with drafting muskets, but I needed 6 turns more.

Only Asoka had Education when I bulbed it, and I was 6 turns away from another GS at about ~90% odds which would bulb the rest of liberalism. The question is would Asoka research Liberalism in those 6 turns. If not, I would have been in a playable position.

Plan would be to build muskets (I have no iron, no metal, no horses) wait for Rifling, mass upgrade and attack Hammurabi with the use of spies. The bad thing is that Mansa voluntarily vassalised to Babylon, so I might have to choose a different target.
Saladin is at war with Elisabeth right now, which is good as it draws his attention away from me. Diplomacy was extremly difficult in this game.

In the end, building great wall is a gambit. Here it didn't pay off because of the crowded map and bad luck with the great people. That's the biggest danger I think, loosing the predictability of getting the right great people at the right time. At this level of play there simply is no room for aditional great spy.

Fun game nevertheless.

Hahahahaha. Deity is a bit of an exception, IMO ;).

Probably still doable vs civs w/o iron on marathon. As if the super-sized AIs on deity are ever lacking in resources...

Perhaps if a Horseman could be built before the Ai hits engineering there might be hope.

Although the AI has such a huge advantage on Deity.

@ABigCivFan:

Spoiler :
Why Nuremberg in 1600BC? I am trying to work on my beginnings and can't see the logic with this city... The stone is already in your borders and the site is utterly crap ... is it to consolidate the culture output on the stone or something? I would have placed it one or two east of your location (to steal the corn), or more probably passed on this one... Thanks in advance :)

Update to 75AD:

Spoiler :

975BC: Rex as planned. 6 cities settled and the price is: 0 beaker and 0 gold at 0%. lol dont know how it got so precise, but think i had to disband some warrior to get to this.

Mensa gifted me Meditation, which really helped me go straight for COL. some AIs already got Aesth, so no point going down that tree with no Marble. If I max beakers I might be able to get it in time for some trades.

Even more importantly, I NEED to be able to bulb Philo with my first GS ASAP in order to catch up with the AIs, so COL is the best choice here I believe. It also opens Civ Service.

425BC: Discovered COL. only 3 AIs did not have it, so I used COL to get all prerequisite techs to be able to bulb Philo; namely Alphebet and Mathematics. Also Got IW to clear jungles.

First GS will be born the next turn, just in time for Philo bulb.

400BC: Bulbed Philo to found Tao!

250BC: With stone, building Ank Wat in capital, since I have Tao holy city, Ank Wak will help me generating a GProphet for the shrine. And useful for hammers. So I held off on trading Philo around until 250BC. Here is the Tech situiation:

As we can see from this chart, we have many opportunities for trading, I studied the possibilities very carefully and executed the following sequence of trading revoloved around Philo.

1st idea is trade for techs that least # of AIs possese (i.e. Metal Casting, Aesth)

2nd Idea is to trade for prerequisite techs for other important techs first (i.e. Sailing for Calendar)

3rd Idea is to trade for techs unlocking important Civics (i.e. Mono and Monarchy)

4th idea is trade for techs the least # of AIs will trade to me (i.e. Construction)

5th Idea is to acquire techs which improves econ (i.e. Currency)

6th Idea is to trade with AI with the Most Gold first. Gold will allow more subsequent trading opportunities for me

The AIs are killing me with their culture push, I am very low on GPP so my next teching priorities are Anesth/Literature (for NE in capital)/Drama for Theater. Then CS/paper/Edu.

The AIs are pretty divided in this game, so I gambled on trading Philo in a sequential order, adding newly acquired techs for future trades. Here is the trading sequence:

250B: 1st Philo trade with Mesa for MC/Sailing/Cash satisfying ideas #1,2 and 6.

225BC: 2nd Philo trade with Asoka for Compass/Construction satisfying ideas #1 and 4.

200BC: 3rd Philo trade with Liz for Aesth/Machinery satisfying ideas #1 and #2

200BC: 4th Trade with Hammu for Currency/Monarchy satisfying idea 2,3 and 5. Note i did not even need Philo in this trade, MC and Compass are all needed

150BC: 5th Trade with Sal for Calendar/Mono/gold satisfying idea 3,5 and 6 I put all my EP on Sal, so was able to see his research (Calendar then Feualism) which really helped with trading decisions

1AD: 6th Philo trade with Sal for Feudalism

75AD: 7th Philo trade with Brennus for Civil Service/Theology And this trade completes the full powerful Philosophy trade around in this game.

75AD: Tech chart.

To summarize the trades:

I self researched 2 cheap techs (Literature + Drama) + bulbed Philosophy, and in return I got the following techs including some very expensive ones:

1. MC
2. Sailing
3. Compass
4. Construction
5. Aesth
6. Machinery
7. Currency
8. Monarchy
9. Calendar
10. Monotheism
11. Feudalism
12. Theology
13. 70% of Civil Service

Next priorities are whip theaters in all cites, improve culture, set up GP farm in Capital, get more GS for Education bulb, 1 GP for Tao shrine and race to Liberalism.

Wow that is some tech haul. It would seem GS and bulbing philosophy is a strong strategy for deity. :)

@ABigCivFan:

Spoiler :
Why Nuremberg in 1600BC? I am trying to work on my beginnings and can't see the logic with this city... The stone is already in your borders and the site is utterly crap ... is it to consolidate the culture output on the stone or something? I would have placed it one or two east of your location (to steal the corn), or more probably passed on this one... Thanks in advance :)

Spoiler :

Nuremberg was a blocker city, as Hammu already settled that Corn. It is close enough to capital to not draining much gold. If I loss this spot or let Hammu sneak more settlers through, i would be in danger of not getting 6 cities.

Top Bottom