SGOTM 09 - Murky Waters

Ok, both ZPV and FiveAces prefer EIW first, so that's how it's gonna be. I'll build a worker in MW before the settler to build a cottage for Marble to work (and get chop into MW). This will delay the settler a few turns, but that will enable workers to road towards C3, so the final delay is probably not that much.

I plan to play in about 30 mins. EDIT: no, the GOTM42 Pregame took too long time to prepare - too tired to play. Will play tomorrow instead.

Isn't the library in Marble a bit too soon? I'd suggest an Archer for happines on the island.

Why is it better to have 2 cities on the island instead of one, in which case C1 and C3 would complete our 6 cities count?

Why is it better to have 2 cities on the island instead of one, in which case C1 and C3 would complete our 6 cities count?

Yes, this is something that I am concerned about as well. Of the three cities (C3, EIW, EIE) EIW is the one with the worst production and the least food. So settling this first will not give us any return on the investment for quite a while. Compare this with EIE which quickly can start contributing to our overall production and even build the settler for EIW.

Yada yada yada. Ok, I'll update the PPP to build EIE first. This will delay the furs about five turns, but the missionary should have spread confu in MW before that, so it won't matter that much.

EDIT: PPP updated. Settle EIW or EIE seams like a coin toss, but with EIE we have the choice to skip EIW completely in case C3 is available.

Turnset report T57 (720 BC)-T65

T57 - Inherited turn
Gift Priesthood to HC (Annoyed => Cautious (+3-3=0). Open Borders. Rebase airship in Tiwanaku. 2 Archers, workers build preserves.
Workers work, units move, cities MM.

IBT: HC drops to -1

T58
Mace + Settler moves towards C1
Missionary does not want to plank it, and moves only one tile.
Sel CoL to HC for Priesthood + 20 coins (back to +4-4=0)
Shaka +2, Joao +1, Hammurabi 0
FF will not grow to pop4 next turn as I though, so I start the worker at once to complete it on T61.
Airship scouts west of Tiwanaku and reveals 2 barb axes and a barb spear. Two of the are wounded, so I think the AI are loosing units. Also - I spotted Wang Kon. Will he contact me IBT?

IBT: Wang Kon speaks. He is annoyed with us (-2 religion, -4 traded with worst enemy = HC). He is worst enemy of HC. No trade possible. WK has 4 cities. Barb galley has picked up units in Atlantis, and it looks like they're on the way south, so I build a worker in MW.

T59
Short break to check dot map to make sure C1 ends up in the right place.
Continue: could not find anything else than my own dot map, so C1 is founded 1S of Iron.
BTW - I noticed that WK is worst enemy of Stalin, which we haven't met.

T60
Rebase to C1. Can't see how the five tiles left to reveal can be revealed before paper is in (3 turns), so I will use the airship to defog C3 and prevent barb city (does that work?). AI have 10 coins to trade, so I wait until paper.

T61
Airship reveals two barb warriors and one axe in the area south of C1. No barb city. I've got two maces and one the phalanx there, so there is no danger. MW is rather defenseless, but another mace will complete next turn.

I consider gifting to Wang Kon to get OB, but then HC will get upset me thinks, so I stay passive.

T62
Kill a barb warrior, spread Confu to MW just as it grows unhappy :D
Trade Priesthood to Joao for 20 coins to keep up research rate at 100%. Trade sheep for cow (don't know if two trades are better than one?)

IBT: Joao demands CoL. I hand it over, and he goes to Pleased (+6)

T63
Paper done. Buy map from Hammurabi for 5 coins. Buy map from Shaka for Meditation & Polytheism (goes Pleased). We will circumnavigate next turn. Stalins borders are visible. Education in 12 turns at 100% research, but we don't have the money. I'll stop for tonight. Take a look at the save and comment.

Continuation:

IBT: The world is round! Circumnavigate.

T64
Workers work, units move.

T65
Save uploaded

Turn set summary (for ZPV)
Currency, Paper, Polytheism learned
Circumnavigate
Meet Wang Kon and detect Stalin (no contact)
Units built: 2xSettler, 3xWorker, 2xMace, Archer
Marble: Granary
FF: Granary
Cities founded: C1, KonTiki
Units killed: 2 barb warriors, 1 barb axe
Others: Confu in MW, GE in Ulundi, HC builds The Great Lighthouse

Session Turn Log from 720 BC to 400 BC:
Spoiler :
Turn 57, 720 BC: You have discovered Currency!
Turn 57, 720 BC: You have trained a Settler in Murky Waters. Work has now begun on a Maceman.

Turn 58, 680 BC: You have discovered Polytheism!

Turn 59, 640 BC: C1 has been founded.
Turn 59, 640 BC: James Watt (Great Engineer) has been born in Ulundi (Shaka)!

Turn 60, 600 BC: You have trained a Worker in Frozen Fish. Work has now begun on a Granary.
Turn 60, 600 BC: Huayna Capac adopts Caste System!
Turn 60, 600 BC: Huayna Capac adopts Organized Religion!

Turn 61, 560 BC: KonTiki has been founded.
Turn 61, 560 BC: You have constructed a Granary in Marble. Work has now begun on a Library.
Turn 61, 560 BC: The borders of C1 have expanded!

Turn 62, 520 BC: Confucianism has spread in Murky Waters.
Turn 62, 520 BC: Pericles's Maceman (8.00) vs Barbarian'sWarrior (1.33)
Turn 62, 520 BC: Combat Odds: 100.0%
Turn 62, 520 BC: (Combat: -50%)
Turn 62, 520 BC: Pericles's Maceman is hit for 9 (91/100HP)
Turn 62, 520 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 42 (58/100HP)
Turn 62, 520 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 42 (16/100HP)
Turn 62, 520 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 42 (0/100HP)
Turn 62, 520 BC: Pericles's Maceman has defeated Barbarian's Warrior!
Turn 62, 520 BC: You have discovered Paper!
Turn 62, 520 BC: Huayna Capac has completed The Great Lighthouse!

Turn 63, 480 BC: The enemy has been spotted near C1!
Turn 63, 480 BC: New Tech(s) to trade: Huayna Capac, Joao II, Hammurabi
Turn 63, 480 BC: New Tech(s) to trade: Huayna Capac, Joao II, Hammurabi
Turn 63, 480 BC: Murky Waters celebrates "We Love Erkon-Day"!!!
Turn 63, 480 BC: You have constructed a Granary in Frozen Fish. Work has now begun on a Library.
Turn 63, 480 BC: The borders of KonTiki have expanded!
Turn 63, 480 BC: Your maps have proven that the world is round! Your ships receive a +1 Movement bonus.

Turn 64, 440 BC: The enemy has been spotted near C1!
Turn 64, 440 BC: The enemy has been spotted near C1!
Turn 64, 440 BC: Pericles's Phalanx (5.00) vs Barbarian'sWarrior (2.00)
Turn 64, 440 BC: Combat Odds: 99.9%
Turn 64, 440 BC: (Plot Defense: +50%)
Turn 64, 440 BC: (Combat: -50%)
Turn 64, 440 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 30 (70/100HP)
Turn 64, 440 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 30 (40/100HP)
Turn 64, 440 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 30 (10/100HP)
Turn 64, 440 BC: Barbarian's Warrior is hit for 30 (0/100HP)
Turn 64, 440 BC: Pericles's Phalanx has defeated Barbarian's Warrior!
Turn 64, 440 BC: Your Phalanx has destroyed a Warrior!
Turn 64, 440 BC: Murky Waters celebrates "We Love the Erkon-Day"!!!
Turn 64, 440 BC: Frozen Fish has grown to size 3
Turn 64, 440 BC: Frozen Fish will grow to size 4 on the next turn
Turn 64, 440 BC: You have trained a Archer in Marble. Work has now begun on a Library.
Turn 64, 440 BC: Barbarian's Axeman (5.00) vs Pericles'sMaceman (10.92)
Turn 64, 440 BC: Combat Odds: 1.4%
Turn 64, 440 BC: (Plot Defense: +50%)
Turn 64, 440 BC: (Combat: -50%)
Turn 64, 440 BC: (Combat: +50%)
Turn 64, 440 BC: Pericles's Maceman is hit for 13 (78/100HP)
Turn 64, 440 BC: Barbarian's Axeman is hit for 29 (71/100HP)
Turn 64, 440 BC: Barbarian's Axeman is hit for 29 (42/100HP)
Turn 64, 440 BC: Barbarian's Axeman is hit for 29 (13/100HP)
Turn 64, 440 BC: Pericles's Maceman is hit for 13 (65/100HP)
Turn 64, 440 BC: Barbarian's Axeman is hit for 29 (0/100HP)
Turn 64, 440 BC: Pericles's Maceman has defeated Barbarian's Axeman!
Turn 64, 440 BC: While defending, your Maceman has killed a Barbarian Axeman!
Turn 64, 440 BC: Marble's cultural boundary is about to expand.
Autolog:
Spoiler :
A Windmill was built near Murky Waters
Tech learned: Currency
Murky Waters finishes: Settler
Frozen Fish grows: 3

IBT:

Turn 58/330 (680 BC) [27-Apr-2009 21:16:31]
Research begun: Paper (6 Turns)
Frozen Fish begins: Worker (3 turns)
Tech learned: Polytheism
Murky Waters finishes: Maceman
A Hamlet was built near Murky Waters

IBT:
Contact made: Korean Empire

Turn 59/330 (640 BC) [27-Apr-2009 21:40:14]
Murky Waters begins: Worker (3 turns)
Athens founded
C1 begins: Granary (14 turns)
Murky Waters finishes: Worker

IBT:
Attitude Change: Shaka(Zululand) towards Wang Kon(Korea), from 'Annoyed' to 'Cautious'
Attitude Change: Wang Kon(Korea) towards Shaka(Zululand), from 'Annoyed' to 'Cautious'

Turn 60/330 (600 BC) [27-Apr-2009 22:36:21]
Murky Waters begins: Maceman (3 turns)
Frozen Fish finishes: Worker

IBT:
Civics Change: Huayna Capac(Inca) from 'Slavery' to 'Caste System'
Civics Change: Huayna Capac(Inca) from 'Paganism' to 'Organized Religion'

Turn 61/330 (560 BC) [27-Apr-2009 22:58:15]
A Cottage was built near Murky Waters
Frozen Fish begins: Work Boat (20 turns)
Athens founded
KonTiki begins: Granary (20 turns)
Murky Waters grows: 8
Murky Waters finishes: Maceman
A Hamlet was built near Murky Waters
Marble finishes: Granary
A Hamlet was built near Frozen Fish
C1's borders expand

IBT:
Attitude Change: Shaka(Zululand) towards Wang Kon(Korea), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'
Attitude Change: Wang Kon(Korea) towards Shaka(Zululand), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed'
Attitude Change: Wang Kon(Korea) towards Hammurabi(Babylon), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'
Attitude Change: Hammurabi(Babylon) towards Wang Kon(Korea), from 'Cautious' to 'Pleased'

Turn 62/330 (520 BC) [27-Apr-2009 23:18:40]
Murky Waters begins: Settler (4 turns)
Confucianism has spread: Murky Waters
Marble begins: Archer (3 turns)
A Mine was built near C1
While attacking in Greek territory near C1, Maceman defeats (7.28/8): Barbarian Warrior (Prob Victory: 100.0%)
Tech learned: Paper
Frozen Fish grows: 4
Marble grows: 4

IBT:

Turn 63/330 (480 BC) [27-Apr-2009 23:33:38]
Research begun: Education (12 Turns)
Marble begins: Worker (5 turns)
Murky Waters finishes: Settler
Frozen Fish finishes: Granary
KonTiki's borders expand

IBT:

Turn 64/330 (440 BC) [28-Apr-2009 17:43:30]
Murky Waters begins: Maceman (3 turns)
While attacking in Greek territory near C1, Phalanx defeats (5.00/5): Barbarian Warrior (Prob Victory: 99.9%)
Frozen Fish begins: Work Boat (20 turns)
Frozen Fish grows: 3
Marble finishes: Archer

IBT:
While defending in the wild near C1, Maceman defeats (5.20/8): Barbarian Axeman (Prob Victory: 98.6%)

Turn 65/330 (400 BC) [28-Apr-2009 17:53:43]

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0030.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0030.JPG
    173.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Pericles BC-0480.CivBeyondSwordSave
    130.8 KB · Views: 48
Well, you could try gifting to Wang Kon, and rebasing in one of his cities. (I don't much care if Stalin hates us)

Fine by me. Good luck.

Well played, Erkon! Thanks for the summary, I'll update the summary post soon.

Turn 64, 440 BC: Murky Waters celebrates "We Love the Erkon-Day"!!!
:faint::run::vomit::badcomp:
:sarcasm::king::goodjob::nuke::lol::cool:

Swapping with LC, I've got it.

As it turns out, Shaka is in possession of some half-decent land. How does he use it? Take a look at this:
Spoiler :

:mad::cry:

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 191
As I see it, we have four strategic choices:

a) Continue REX (settle along coast southwards) - not that this may be prevented since I spotted two units from Joao close to the lake, and one of them was an archer, the other could have been a settler?

b) Choke Atlantis (send a couple of triremes to block sea tiles)

c) Attack Hammurabi (before he get Longbowmen or Maces)

d) Focus on research and city infrastructure

Did I miss anything?

EDIT: I think we can select two of these options, but not three

As I see it, we have four strategic choices:

a) Continue REX (settle along coast southwards) - not that this may be prevented since I spotted two units from Joao close to the lake, and one of them was an archer, the other could have been a settler?

b) Choke Atlantis (send a couple of triremes to block sea tiles)

c) Attack Hammurabi (before he get Longbowmen or Maces)

d) Focus on research and city infrastructure

Did I miss anything?

EDIT: I think we can select two of these options, but not three

d) Focus on research and infrastructure. Can we do this one twice? :lol: We will need to keep pushing our research throughout the game.

My next preference is ReXing. However, I'm not convinced we can do this safely without choking Atlantis. I presume I'll be able to see if Joao has a Settler there (quite possible, he is a fearsome ReXer, and already has five cities) when I recon with the airship.

I see no value in attacking Hammurabi now (what will we do with a city with 15 plains forests, an iceball and a no food city?) so if we can't ReX, and have some resources to spare, we should put them into choking Atlantis.

edit: What do your signs, G61 and G64 mean?

Great play, Erkon! :goodjob:

It would be good to let MW grow further than size 9. One option is to put one of the chops into a temple. This also lets us hire a priest to get a GP for the Confu shrine sooner.

Doesn't the map look very much like an earth map, with us in North America, Joao in Argentina, Shaka in Africa, Stalin in Russia etc?

Atlantis is size 19 and the barbs now know IW. :)

Edit: Rush the WB in FF now. Work corn in MW and make sure that the temple is finished in time for growth.

... I presume I'll be able to see if Joao has a Settler there (quite possible, he is a fearsome ReXer, and already has five cities) when I recon with the airship.

edit: What do your signs, G61 and G64 mean?

ZPV - feel free to run a pass with the airship. The other alternative would be to try to get in contact with Stalin, but that's a gamble (constantly scouting towards his direction from Shaka/HC and hope we see a unit). We could also scout Atlantis once more to check the units there.

Galley spotted on T61 and T64. Atlantis has sent two galleys south towards Joao recently.

...Doesn't the map look very much like an earth map, with us in North America, Joao in Argentina, Shaka in Africa, Stalin in Russia etc?...

Ha! I didn't notice that :lol: It's obvious now when you mention it. I should have named KonTiki Reykjavik instead... C3 will be Washington then? :D

ZPV - feel free to run a pass with the airship. The other alternative would be to try to get in contact with Stalin, but that's a gamble (constantly scouting towards his direction from Shaka/HC and hope we see a unit). We could also scout Atlantis once more to check the units there.

Done. Joao's two units are Archer + Xbow. No Settler (or city :eek:)

Great play, Erkon! :goodjob:
Doesn't the map look very much like an earth map, with us in North America, Joao in Argentina, Shaka in Africa, Stalin in Russia etc?

Good spot. I bet the lushest land is in Western Europe. (although Africa doesn't seem bad). My question is, is it populated by Koreans or Barbarians?

Top Bottom