Native villages: to demolish or to keep

KJ Jansson

Prince
At the moment we can only demolish native villages even we have them as a gift.

How the keep such villages from demolition? Any ideas? :confused:

As things stand, you can never keep native villages. But when they offer them to you, and you accept, you get a substantial bonus to the natives' attitude towards you. Aside from that, and using them as training bases, native villages are no use.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

As things stand, you can never keep native villages. But when they offer them to you, and you accept, you get a substantial bonus to the natives' attitude towards you. Aside from that, and using them as training bases, native villages are no use.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

I know that now I cannot keep native village. But I'm looking a way how to change this rule.

At the moment I'm playing the mod where no starting buildings in a new city at all except a small basecamp.

All building in each city you have to construct by yourself. And here, if you capture a native village, or get it as a gift, you could start build your new city immediately in the European style.

As I remember in Civilization IV it was possible to choose "to capture or to demolish" a city. Here unfortunately not.

Concerning education in native vilages.
- Of course, this will be possible only in NATIVE village, not in captured one.

Concenning the bonuses.
- If you have gold as resource and sell gold, you can forgot about "bonuses" from native village. The are too small.

Attachments

• 000080.jpg
    000080.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 171
I know that now I cannot keep native village. But I'm looking a way how to change this rule.

As I remember in Civilization IV it was possible to choose "to capture or to demolish" a city. Here unfortunately not.

This is still possible in Colonisation when you take over an AI colony. I dont think it was ever possible to take over a native/barbarian settlement.

I agree it would be nice tho. Would like to get more than just the land when they offer you one of their villages.

This is still possible in Colonisation when you take over an AI colony. I dont think it was ever possible to take over a native/barbarian settlement.

Actually, in Civ4, you *can* take over barbarian cities, and sometimes the "goody huts" that represent small independent civilizations will turn into a full-fledged city.

In Civ4Col, as in the original colonization, native villages can never be "captured" as such. Though of course, once you raze them there is nothing stopping you from building a city immediately on the same square.

What would it mean to "capture" a native city? Logically, you wouldn't have any buildings as such, since the native peoples didn't build the same sort of structures that the Europeans did, and in fact didn't have the same concept of division of labour that gives us all the varied professions (and hence buildings) available in Civ4Col. Would it mean keeping some of the native village's population? Frankly, I rarely see native villages larger than 3 population, and most seem to be set at one population.

So I'm really wondering what would be the advantage of "capturing" a native village? Keeping some of their inventory of tobacco, cotton and so on? As things stand, you automatically get one converted native in the destroyed village square, and that converted native can immediately found a new city there, if that's what you want. I like that better, in fact, than getting the city automatically, because having the converted native allows me to decide on the exact location of a new city, often a square or two (or more) away from the destroyed village location, or if I prefer I can just repatriate the new converted native to one of my existing cities, or send him to a university for education.

So I guess I just don't see the potential added value. Explain it, eh?

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

well if the natives are to be made playable then this idea is essential i feel. plus when taking over a native village it would be nice to get a few basic buildings, stored resources and converted natives instead of having to start from scratch. also i find there are often a few native villages with 4-6 poulation, and others often only show 1 population but have several braves stationed there.

well if the natives are to be made playable then this idea is essential i feel. plus when taking over a native village it would be nice to get a few basic buildings, stored resources and converted natives instead of having to start from scratch.

I'm interesting to find a possibility to keep native villages because I plan to use such places for some special purposes.

At the moment only "native stable" and "native storage" could be build in native villages. No more building could be build in a native village at the moment.

It means that such native village has a lot of free lots that could be used for creation of absolutely new buildings for production or recreation.

For instance, a Factory for production of "native souvenirs" (required "gold", "silver" or "fur"; could be sell in Europe at high price). Aymerick here shows that a number of yields could be more than 16. I don't think that his value shown on the picture (18 yields) is absolute maximum.

Or another building - "Saloon" that required "food" + "alcohol" + "cigars" and give direct profit to the player. Such "saloon" could be build only in former native villages, etc., etc., etc.

Such ideas could be rather easily realized just in real native villages that was captures or received as a gift.

Firstly, in all practically, a native village is a bunch of tents. It would easily be burned and destroyed leaving you rubble.

Secondly, no native villages were ever known to be settled historically.

There would have to be a clause where you send a pioneer there to do it up into a proper city in 'X' turns. Would it be worth it?

They should allow you to make military bases though (Think Valley Forge), that requires a Great general and a veteran soldier. It would also require Guns and (possibly) coats, and any one could be turned into a proper soldier in 'X' turns.

Firstly, in all practically, a native village is a bunch of tents. It would easily be burned and destroyed leaving you rubble.

Secondly, no native villages were ever known to be settled historically.

There would have to be a clause where you send a pioneer there to do it up into a proper city in 'X' turns. Would it be worth it?

They should allow you to make military bases though (Think Valley Forge), that requires a Great general and a veteran soldier. It would also require Guns and (possibly) coats, and any one could be turned into a proper soldier in 'X' turns.

The Inca and the Aztecs are quite different, though.

interesting idea, but even aztech and inca towns where razed and rebuilt think the aztec capital which is now mexico city, do you see any Aztec buildings anywhere?

The native villages are often on the best spots. I just recommend having a soldier defend that spot and when the fighting ends, establish a city there.

Top Bottom