Dune Wars Mod

If you find a bug in the RevDCM code, please report it in that thread...

When I remove that part (308-315), Diplomacy Screen shows an exit button. :goodjob:

Great! This small change works for me too. It was very annoying.

phungus420 said:

Well, that is a good question. This cannot possibly be a bug in RevDCM by itself. It shows up in every contact screen with a python alert. Nobody could have missed that. Therefore, it must be a cross-product of mixing RevDCM with something else. But in this mod, there are a dozen different things mixed together. So it may be impossible to tell which two mixing caused this problem.

May 30, 2009 08:57 AM

I think this is more a problem with Dune wars code... But if it turns out this bug has its origin in revdcm I will report it. ;)

hi guys,

it took me 2 hours, but i found the bug in patch 3+4,

im compiling now,

its this damn assimilation mod.

ill reffer to what you guys wrote after i upload it.

david allen,
well, most of the stuff you reported on, i have changed and fixed on patch 3 ,
some i still haven't touched, so don't worry, i will attend to them all.

im glad you guys find a possible cause for the diplomacy, i don't remember i ever changed that's screen, it may be very well be in revdcm.

im not sure what to change koma, so if you could fix the file and upload ill appreciate this.

ill upload new patch 5-6 - that will fix the problem with patch 3-4, along with some more fixes you guys reported on.

I'm pretty sure all my current issues are not fixed on patch 3, but I will be happy to recheck on patch 5-6.

To fix the diplomacy issue, just edit python/cydiplomacy.py and remove lines 308-315.

This type of painful debugging is one reason to reduce the number of mods you mix in. I find it is slowing me down in python development, and you have just found that it cost you a few hours in debugging.

yeah i know what you mean david,

sometimes i think about that,

but, don't worry, the advantage is more then the disadvantage.
but,
i will be more carefull with what i add, that i can promise you,
instead of doing work i now debugged for 3 hours....

i will do my best not to have buggi mods,
so we will not have to do so much debugging.

in a couple of hours ill upload the first patch.

thanks for all the help with the diplo.

you are correct about the grid, i just didnt know how to to the grid art.
i will ask johny to remove that button.

thanks for the insightfull report on the resources! very important - i fixed it now.

how about "grove" instead of foundry?

about the unit upgrades - well i didnt had a another soldier unit so they vcould upgrade too, so i chose the nearest, anyway - followed your advise, now they wont upgrade.

I think i figured how to build hovers anywhere,
you need to set the allterrain + make the sea domain - to land domain, i used it on the light hover - it seems the ai builds them but wont move them acroos the ocean too much.

david - you added diplomacy fragment - theres the revolution code - there - will this aloow not to delete lines 308-315 - its accatually missing info that caused the diplo bug?
if i add this i dont need to delete the 308-315?

hi darkedone02,

because these are unofficial patches, they do contain a lot of stuff right now,

but in order not to confuse people,
i will release later on a large patch that will contain many many things in it, so i would have to update a patch every two days.

your welcomed to dl the new patch ,

download unofficial patch 5 (sand sea only):
http://ul.to/iz9630

here is a stable patch, with numerous changes

- added 1 unit class (strider)
- replaced 7 unit models
- renames improvements
- fixed bonuses that had no improvement
- flags now have color backround
- there's no more waves
- desert terrain is refined now (thanks koma13)
- assimilation mod is out - caused problems
- possible fixed diplomacy python error
- added worms and sand storms python code by david allen (needs feedback)
- added thumper action by david allen
- fixed unitai's for many units
- fixed buttons - davidallen, johny smith.
- fixed some graphic issues of improvements
- removed by default - stack attack and attack support along with annoying alerts.
- unit naming fixed
- light hover can go on all terrain - changed domain to land - need to see how ai uses it.

hope i didnt forget nothing (this includes all the updates since version 1)

also - this one is only for sand sea,

when koma issues the next patch - along with his new textures and reduced peaks - i will update the patch for all land mass.

if there will be good comments on this patch - ill will post this on the main thread as official patch-1.

next im planning:

adding 5 new commence types,
along with a new system of corporations:
each civ will have a unique corporation that it wil start the game with - this corporation will consume spice,
each civ will have its own uniqe bonuses from consuming spice.
the more spice your civ has - the larger the bonus you get - so you better secure more spice :).
this corporation will not be able to spread (probably it will be in the capital only - ill try to figure out how to make that this corporation cannot be spreaded to foreign cities - i want it to be only on the main possible to make the corp building as a non obselete building , as a national wonder - that if its destryed - you can rebuild it).
this corporation will have a substantial effect on the civs economy - all the other money making bonuses - will be reduced.
ai - will never trade spice with another civ.

more ideas are needed, but basically this system will allow spice to play a more important part in the game play.

the other 7 corporation will be as they are - so a civ can have its unique corporation and another if it gets to found it.

i need some help with names for these corporations for each civ, maybe naming them something like...atredis spice company, ordos spice company and so on.

tell me what you think,

thanks to johny smith for this interesting idea.

also heres another to do:
spice victory -
using a project that needs spice buildings that can only be built in a city that has spice within its limits/working tiles (sdk special modcomp).

spice victory that's based on accumulating spice...somehow.

Hey guys.

I had a bit of an out there idea. It seems that Lutefisk Mafia has found a workaround for having two maps in the game. (I know he is using a tile approach so it is not exactly two large maps)

I wonder whether there could be two maps for Dune: one the desert planet and one a Final Frontier style space map with Dune at the centre. That way you could have the homeworlds on there: Caladan, Giedi_Prime, Salusa Secundus, etc . This would give what happens on Dune a bit of context - the spice makes space travel possibile after all. You could have interplanetary trade and such like. If there is a limitation on the size of the second map, then the space map could be smallish with maybe a fixed layout.

The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel. The Spacing Guild and its navigators, who the spice has mutated over 4,000 years, use the orange spice gas, which gives them the ability to fold space. That is, travel to any part of universe without moving. ... The spice exists on only one planet in the entire universe. A desolate, dry planet with vast deserts. ... The planet is Arrakis, also known as Dune

Anyway, just an idea. It would be a compelling feature if it could be done.

Hey Deliverator!

I had a bit of an out there idea. It seems that Lutefisk Mafia has found a workaround for having two maps in the game. (I know he is using a tile approach so it is not exactly two large maps)
No problem, if you convince Lutefisk Mafia to join Dune wars. :D

Btw, can you make us a sand worm model? We only have that cobra and I'm sure you are tired of doing natives only.

Funny you should say that. I've been looking into making a proper worm. I think I'll have to make one from scratch, but I'm definitely up for it. I was a bit gutted that I couldn't get this to import in blender:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=7e213da2669344594ee2f0299a586761

I have managed to import a few meshes from the Dune set there - tanks and quads - they may be convertable. I was a bit gutted that the beautiful Ornithopter imports without wings. It was superhigh poly anyway. I really want a flapping Ornithopter with the FF2 Hawk animation maybe. I have some ideas for that too.

Regarding the two map thing. It looks like LM's stuff boils down to only a handful of Python files.

Yes, I am ready for a bit of a break from Colonization - I just want to complete the EE2 Galleon I am converting. I'm on holiday the coming week, but I can look at some Dune work when I'm back.

hey guys,

glad to know we might get some models from you deliverator :)

ive noticed that the ai wont build cottages along with lvl refinery,
i think i know why.

koma,
have you got an estimation on when youll finish your current texture and peak work - i wonder if should wait or start updating the land mass patch...?

thanks.

50. Turning on grids causes a crash. Worse, the fact that grids are on is stored before the crash, so when I bring up the game again it immediately crashes. The only solution was to delete my mods\dune wars directory and reinstall. If there is a way to turn off the grids option outside the game, please let me know.

I think, there's a way.
The problem is caused, when the normal textures and the grid textures do not have the exact same color (only my observation).
To solve it, i would suggest copying the normal dune wars textures, and give them the related grid name, so that you have TextureBLEND.dds and TextureGRID.dds.
You'll have no grid, but it will not crash (i hope).

also heres another to do:
spice victory -
using a project that needs spice buildings that can only be built in a city that has spice within its limits/working tiles (sdk special modcomp).

No SDK needed, look at this wonder or GIR's Templo Mayor wonder.

Hey guys.

This is really great work....and much work :(.

koma,
have you got an estimation on when youll finish your current texture and peak work - i wonder if should wait or start updating the land mass patch...?

thanks.

Upload the patch! :) Still need some time.

Funny you should say that. I've been looking into making a proper worm. I think I'll have to make one from scratch, but I'm definitely up for it.

:cool: I'm sure you will come up with some decent looking model.

Regarding the two map thing. It looks like LM's stuff boils down to only a handful of Python files.
I read about the concept but I still can't believe it is working. Problem seems to be that the 2nd map has to be very small (duell size) to get proper performance.

Yes, I am ready for a bit of a break from Colonization - I just want to complete the EE2 Galleon I am converting. I'm on holiday the coming week, but I can look at some Dune work when I'm back.

Same here. With Europe screen nearly finished I wanted to do something completely different. I first thought about making a dune mod for Colonization. I even started a concept , but warfare ai is just too weak, you know that. :(

Patch 5 is working for me. Thanks! I was pretty frustrated by patch 3 after I tried it out. I have windtraps working, or not working, depending on how you look at it; details on this thread.

I have made a change for trade, which I kind of like, but your milage may vary. As we learned in some other threads, the technology flag TerrainTrades can be used to automatically connect resources and civs based on terrain types. This removes the need for big roads across the desert. I have made a local change which removes roads entirely. At UnderGround Tunnels, you can connect on grass, plains and desert. At Hovering, you can connect on desert waste. At offworld trade, you can connect on deep desert (using spaceships, presumably.) This involves small changes to techinfos; please see attached file. In the land model patch (patch 6?) you would need to change TERRAIN_COAST to TERRAIN_DESERT_WASTE in Hovering, and TERRAIN_OCEAN to TERRAIN_DEEP_DESERT in Offworld Trade. I have also deleted the unwanted TerrainTrades from Water Springs and Way of the Desert.

To prevent roads, you must also make small changes to unitinfos to remove BUILD_ROAD from workers, in two places, and buildinfos to remove BUILD_ROAD. I did not include these files; because we have two patches to maintain, editing them on your own is probably easier.

Try this out, see if you like it. It is not perfect; ideally, the tech tree should force you to get the techs in the right order. You may get a weird result if you pass by tunnels and get offworld trade, for example; you would connect on deep desert but not on grass.

Previous issues, still present in patch 5:

6. The LH pictures are low-res. I tried fixing the shrink problem on Emperor and Irulan by recropping. But now they are too grainy. I attached them anyway. If we have somebody willing to spend a little time finding and resizing graphics, starting over from hi-res pictures would be a good short project. If you have the original pictures, at the highest resolution you can find, could you put them up?

9. Flag colors are definitely better. I placed one unit of each civ on a map and zoomed out to see if they are distinguishable. Two are black (Fenring, Spacer). Two are brown (Paul, Stilgar). See related new issue 59, and then you may want to check the flag colors match the civ colors. For example, the spacer civ color is orange but the flag is black.

20. Non-vanilla tech icons. Now that 21 is fixed, this is the biggest graphical problem. Having a Deer icon show up for hovering, as one example, breaks the Dune feel. This is a big project but let's at least start.

21. dune-o-pedia unit backgrounds. Fixed! Thanks koma13, the new ones look great!

24. Thanks for renaming workboat to hover former. But, that implies it uses hover tech, which has been moved deeper in the tree. How about Desert Former, or Sand Former?

47. New LH and button for spacer guild guy. Looks like the images are there but the leaderheadinfos file is not updated.

51. Sea domain units can not travel all terrain and can only be built on "ports". Maniac has confirmed by PM that this requires SDK changes, which could be extracted from the Planetfall sdk. Keldath suggested making them land domain, but then they will not act as ocean transports, so that does not seem to help.

54. One remaining weird thing with improvements. Slig can be placed in coast but can only be worked with irrigation. Smoke Tree and Inkvine can be placed on land but can only be worked with Desert Compound.

55. In the upgrade tree displayed in the sev-o-pedia, there are still some upgrades which cause unitcombat changes. Face Dancer to Quad, Heavy Roller to Acolyte.

New issues:

58. At the end of the first turn there is a cascade of 20 python alerts. I know you don't use python, but it's painful to have these problems reappear. Could you turn on python alerts, just so you know when you accidentally make some appear? These are due to revolutions, again, as I wrote in post 35. Please change file assets\revolution\rebeltypes.py and add "return" at line 20, immediately after "def setup():". Be sure to match the white space of the following lines, which have three leading spaces.

59. My fault again, thumpers are not working. I forgot one file. Please copy attached artdef_interface.xml into assets/xml/art.

60. Harkonnen starts with hover tech. This is now way up in the tech tree, it is not a good starting tech. It is TECH_HUNTING, search in civilizationinfos.xml.

61. Some player colors are indistinguishable. If you used different colors it would be easier to see who is who. Atreides/Bene T are white; Paul/Stilgar are brown; Fenring/Ordos are green; Bene G/Corrino are purple. Nobody is blue or pink.

62. Improvements still have default pedia text like crab. I missed this when I stripped all the text into text/DuneWars.xml. (Fix with 21, good text in civilizationinfos and leaderheadinfos should be moved into DuneWars.xml)

hey guys,

david,

il try the trade mod youve made, sounds nice, but in order to prevent getting trade for say on desert - we can jusy make a preqeq on the techs,

or i have yet another idea - i can make that a building will give a tech - we'll call it - trade tech 1,
the building - you can name say for now - air trade convoy.

once you build that building - national wonder - you get the tech - bag you get trade.

next level of trade - a building - air trade convoy level 2 - gives tech trade 2, and this buildings need as a preqeq - building air convoy 1 and so on.

in order to make the ai build it - set the building cost to 1, and give it trade route 1 or hammers one or happy - whatever you want - and then the ai will build it in his city.
that simple,
and it will work cause i created a system like this with religions - ive made unique civ religions with buildings just like i wrote.

i will attend to the revolution python errors, not to worry,
and the rest of the stuff.

tomorrow i will create the land mass patch - i dunno i think i prefer it over sand sea - only thing that annoys - is carryalls have no use,
but ive come across a mod that allow airfields to be build as improvement - and you can do air lift on the map as well as to cities from it - this can replace carryalls. - but i dont think the mod is complete,
perhaps david, you can make a promotion/event that a unit might get that will allow it to move from one point on the map to another -kinda like paratroop not from within a city - perhaps you can do so from the python , we'll name it carryall summon - maybe make it to cost money or something as well.

i hope patch 5 is ok, ive noticed something strange -the autoplay ai - built tons of hovers in my game trials....

plz see how it goes for you at normal play.

i will attend to the land patch, and try to perfect it some more - with a new settler , the first up to sat classic era - wont be able to cross desert,
the second settler - will be able to go over deep desert and waste.

ill remove roads use the trade idea, and create some promotions that boost movement for mid-later units as compensation for lack of roads.

also will attend to some improvement stuff.

i wanna get the unique promotions system to make the spice have substantial part,
so i have alot to do huh?...

p.s
saw the water improvement thread - very very cleaver to use the oasis idea! hope we get it to work.
we can always just use oaosis feature as a water supplier - just increase its appearance on the map or something like it...

have a good week y'all.

I autoran a couple of games on patch 5 with my trade mod. I agree the AI is building huge number of units. Two of the civs in this game had > 100 units built and were running their economy into the ground with unit supply cost. I took this screenshot of what look like little trails of ants. This can't be good. All of the units are Sand APC's.

I played with Aggressive AI, Prince difficulty. There were no cities conquered in this game after 400 turns; some wars were declared, not many, but the only cities that changed hands were with smugglers.

Please see below screenshots of the ant trail, and also the final map.

---

I will be interested to hear about a trade connection system based on buildings. I agree it would be better to have like a spaceport building which connected everything; but the minimod I have come across does not work. ("Establishing connections" thread in sdk/python subforum).

I am sure that I could create some python actions to do airlifts and teleports and things. As you will find often, the only problem is that the AI will not know how to use them. The worm and storm AI does not have this problem because there is no master plan for these units, they just move randomly.

I really hope we can find some way to have carryalls. I don't like the idea of tanks traveling at high speed through the desert.

---

A few more notes. Still using patch 5, ocean model.

63. The hover former (workboat) is too powerful as an early scout. Perhaps it should have move 1 instead of 2.

64. The hover former description says it is consumed when it makes a desert compound. However, it is not consumed, and I think we don't want it to be consumed.

65. It happens very often that there are spice tubers on a hill plot. Spice tubers give +2 hammers and a surface mine gives +1 hammer. So chopping the tubers and putting a mine gives a net *decrease* in hammers. This seems odd.

66. The blockade action on ships does not make any sense. You can't blockade sand. Probably the same is true for the "naval patrol" action. Perhaps you could remove both of these action buttons. (Which come from one of the mods you have added, of course.)

67. I looked through the results after the 400 turn run above, and another small game I did. In some cases, there is a lot of money going into distance maintenance. Maybe the courthouse could be moved earlier in the tree and made cheaper to help. You could call it a "regional capitol" or similar.

68. I have sometimes seen a worm "freeze" in place for a long time. This is probably a bug in the worm AI if it sees something interesting two squares away, but cannot reach it due to peaks/mountains. If that is the only thing interesting, it will keep trying. I will have to think about how to fix that.

69. Hover tech was moved deeper in the tech tree, but the cost was not changed. It is a bargain for where it is.

I am lost on what is going on with the dll at this point. I have not fixed everything in the python. I have not added the new python features from the patches and all. I am just submitting this before it gets buried in a corner. I spent a lot of time merging it so I hope it can be used. I just want it here so it can be found by dune modders. Can be official later or not either way here it is.

https://worldofciv.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wocrapture/Installer/Dune WoC Lite 1.02.7z

Top Bottom