Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Note, since so many people are asking, if you play with the setting "No Espionage", then the amount of culture you need for every culture threshold is doubled, including the culture needed for Legendary.

That would be 300,000:culture: on Marathon no espionage! :eek:

I've been trying to follow a succession game. Can somebody explain what this means:

"i don't like best ball, i think you should play a cookbook if you like discussion/voting on saves."

edit: think I figured out what a best ball start is. what is a cookbook?

How do I make my whole stack attack at once? The tedium from is killing me!

Never mind I found it under options. Strange they put it there and not add a keyboard command

I played the Omens scenario and all was going well (eliminated French) when the nast guy turns up and starts to destroy all my cities. The victory condition I thought was protestantism 75% at end game. I have converted the natives so religion was 100% protestant . I figure if I hang on to the time limit (which I did) I win BUT NO!!! I LOSE .
How frustrating, the bad guy is invincible what is going on ?:confused:

Ok, I have an extremely dumb question. I've tried using both the search feature and google, but have been unable to figure out: What is a phant? I have seen it in relation to: 'attacking with phants/cats can be unstoppable.'

I assume it's a unit. The only thing that comes close to matching that name is Phalanx.

Help me out here, after you get done laughing at my ignorance. :)

-Sinc

Ok, I have an extremely dumb question. I've tried using both the search feature and google, but have been unable to figure out: What is a phant? I have seen it in relation to: 'attacking with phants/cats can be unstoppable.'

I assume it's a unit. The only thing that comes close to matching that name is Phalanx.

Help me out here, after you get done laughing at my ignorance. :)

-Sinc
You're going to kick yourself: War Elephant. ;)

War Elephants are very powerful for when you get them, and they're a great all-'round unit. Even against Pikemen, they don't fare too poorly. If you have access to Ivory early on, beelining to Construction is a great idea; the combined force of Catapults and War Elephants can be nigh-unstoppable for a very long time if you can mobilise quickly enough.

Cripes. Thank you.

What is so special about war elephants? It's a mounted unit (which means no defense bonuses, and susceptible to spears/pikes) that only has a move rate of 1. I can honestly say I have never built one in my progression up to Prince, and I'm well on my way to mastering Prince and thinking about making the jump to Monarch. I certainly make no priority to getting ivory beyond the happy boost it provides.

I assume I'm totally missing something, aren't I?

:)

-Sinc

Cripes. Thank you.

What is so special about war elephants? It's a mounted unit (which means no defense bonuses, and susceptible to spears/pikes) that only has a move rate of 1. I can honestly say I have never built one in my progression up to Prince, and I'm well on my way to mastering Prince and thinking about making the jump to Monarch. I certainly make no priority to getting ivory beyond the happy boost it provides.

I assume I'm totally missing something, aren't I?

:)

-Sinc

Pretty big strenght factor(8) for the era. Same as Praets or Mace. Plus getting 2 kick-butt offensive weapons with 1 tech is nifty. Highly promoted Ellys' can even give stray enemy cavalry a run for their money.

Biggest con is they're rather expensive for the era.

Note, since so many people are asking, if you play with the setting "No Espionage", then the amount of culture you need for every culture threshold is doubled, including the culture needed for Legendary.

That would be 300,000:culture: on Marathon no espionage! :eek:

That makes spamming great artists neccesary. You need 10 to get that much culture!:eek:

I was wondering what the formula is for your score, what you get points for.
iam asking about Vanilla . It list a breakdown of your points in the bottom left. However I was wondering what you get points for, ie population is it citizens or pop or what?

the categories you get points for are
population
land
tech
wonders

Just an update (not that anyone was looking for it), but after patching, the issue of the invading stacks stopping short of my cities and loitering there indefinately was resolved. The next invading wave made it to my capital and was systematically mowed down by my Longbowman doing no more damage than would a light spring rain.

That was their last attempt to take one of my cities, as I immediately put Alexander on the defensive and nudged the Greeks off the map one city at a time. I have a pair of Zerkers who lead the charge and are going to make some uber modern/end game units.

... It seemed odd to me, though, that Alexander never requested a Treaty. Not that I would have let him off the hook once he was back on his heels. But I never saw anything aside from a Apostolic Palace vote over whether or not I should cease hostilities against him (defeated).

???

Question: If I conquer a city settled on Fur, do I get the Fur in my trade network immediately, or only when the city comes out of resistance?

Thanks all..

That's quite a lot, but it depends on how much your enenmy has. An early AD SoD should have a few swordsmen in them too because swordsmen are better against archers.

Yeah your right. But axes do just fine especially if you started making them in the 1000 BC's.

Top Bottom