Bowsling's Civlopedia Entries

Bowsling

Deity
Due to support in this thread, I am pleased to announce my Civlopedia Entries Thread! I will post things that I make myself, and take requests, either by PM or posting in this thread.
So, to all modders, enjoy!

Implementing the article:
Download it from the post. This shouldn't take to long, as the longest
entries are about 10 kilobytes. Copy and paste the Civlopedia article into the
civilopedia.txt in your text folder of your mod. If you are editing the game itself, MAKE
A BACKUP! This is extremely important, because if you do something wrong, the whole
Civlopedia is ruined. Next you'll need to do the pediaicons.txt. MAKE A BACKUP! Even if it's in your mod folder. So you will find the two files you want to be the pictures to go along with this article, and write the entries. Just follow what's written for the other stuff in that category and you should be good.

Making the article perfect:
In some articles, the first paragraph is already written based on my
mod. That might be good enough for you, but you might want to change it. Basically, write an overview of that unit in civ. Not in history, but in civ. Paragraph two is for history. Paragraph one and a half (as I call it) is required if the unit is unique or needs resources to build. To make it, just look at other articles and you should understand how to do it.
The next line, DESC_class_item should match exactly What you entered in the Civlopedia part of the editor page, other wise it won't show the stats of the item, or it crashes. I'm not sure which, as I have never made that mistake before.

Attachments

• Tutorial.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 54
Request Log
Code:
Item      Class   User               Status            Request Post#    File Post #
British Bobbie     Unit    Bathalsar         Not Started     11                    N/A
British Peeler     Unit    Bathalsar          Complete      11                    16
TARDIS            Unit    Bathalsar         Not Started     11                    N/A
LOEG Nautilus    Unit    Bathalsar         Not Started     11                    N/A
Cavorite Shpere   Unit    Bathalsar         Not Started     11                    N/A

Well, that's wonderful, because the Steampunk Forum could use your help to cover some of the units that have been specially made for us by Wyrmshadow, Vuldacon, and Balam-Agab.

My list so far:

British Bobby (Balam-Agab)
British Peeler (Balam-Agab)
Tardis (Vuldacon)
LOEG Nautilis (Wyrmshadow)
Cavorite Sphere (Wyrmshadow)

These are only a few of the hundreds of entries we have yet to make, but these are particularly needed. You get extra points for making them "feel" like they were written in the 19th century. If you're up for that, we'd sure appreciate it.

Sources: The current project of the Steampunk forum is the "Lost Worlds" scenario. Probably ninety-percent of it is drawn from 19th century fiction including, but not limited to, Jules Verne, Edger Rice Burroughs (Barsoom & Pellucidar stories), A. Conan Doyle, H.G. Wells, and Paul Feval. As it happens, the Nautilus was invented by Verne (though you might want to consult the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Movie for ideas about the "updated" Nautilus), and the Cavorite Sphere was invented by H.G. Wells. The Bobby & Peeler actually exist(ed), and can be googled for info. The Tardis is, of course, from Dr. Who; we also have a Torchwood Wonder.

Edit: I started a text thread in the Steampunk Forum for you to post these at if you like, or I can link to this thread from there. Be sure to add: -Entry by Bowsling to your text!

I have improved the civlopedia entry about the Panzer, which is now more descriptive than two lines about how foolish other countries were to stand up against Germany in the vague "Industrial Age".
Version 1.1

Attachments

• Panzer.txt
    1 KB · Views: 67
Thanks, but there are some minor flaws. First, there are some misspelled words (for example, Blitzkrieg). Second, there have been more than 4 Panzerkampfwagen in the line and some were light or medium tanks (Panzer I, for example). Third, it would be better not to clutter the root directory of the Civ III database but to collect these entries in this thread first and put them into a nice single text file later.

Just my 5 cents.

Thank you for the criticism. I will update the entry to v 1.1, fixing the spelling mistakes and historical mistake about the line of tanks. I also added a better conclusion.
Thank you for the idea about one file, I never thought about that.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders Fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.