CivAssist II

CivAssist II 30-Oct-2016

Any chance you can walk me thru this process? You can assume I have zero experience doing such a reg hack. Otherwise, I have to do it my way, which is to use the basic .net 1.1 only. Windows Update always wants to fix my outdated version however.

BTW, my "fix" does work. The .net 2.0 and 3.0 don't appear to cause a problem. It's the 1.1 update that's the culprit. I have to custom install from Windows Update so that I DON'T install the 1.1 update. Kind of a PITA.

click Start
click Run
type regedit
on the left pane, open: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PerfProc\Performance

Disable Performance Counter will appear on right side.
right click it
select Modify
set value to 0.

We are currently playing a multi-player Email game "The Rise of Japan", which has "hidden units" (Ninjas). Apparently CivAssistII displays these hidden units, even though a player should not be supposed to see them.

Is this a bug or a feature...? And is it possible to obtain a patch that does not display hidden units (or perhaps no unit at all, that would be fine as well)? Then we could continue to use it without seeing unfair spoiler information.

Thanks, Lanzelot

I'm having trouble installing CivAssist II. I run Windows 7, 64-bit.

During installation I get the following message: "This setup requires the .Net Framework version 1.1.4322. Please install the .Net Framework and run this setup again. The .Net Framework can be obtained from the web. Would you like to do this now?" I click yes which takes me to the following website:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/default.aspx
I clicked on "Install it now" and ran the setup again only to get the same message.

Any help would be appreciated. Please note that I'm not very computer literate when you answer this call for help.

Problem solved. After I ran .NET Framework Cleanup Tool 6.0.3790 and installed the .NET Framework version 1.1 redistributable package, everything works fine.

Can civassist show how much gold per turn computer opponents are willing to offer in trade?

I want to sell my shiny new tech for mountains of gold, and I want to get every penny. In order to do so, I have to play a guessing game to get the maximum amount of gold.

Example: I have replaceable parts (worth 250 gpt lets say) and want to sell it for gpt only. My trading partner has ironclads tech and 232 gpt. I do not want the ironclads tech since we're on a pangea map.

I'll ask the computer what they'll give me for Replaceable parts and they offer me ironclads and 50gpt. I want to know how much gpt the computer can give me(the 232 number), but I cannot figure that out from the "Would you care to offer something in exchange for X button" because the computer will always include ironclads in their offer. So I start guessing gpt.

100 ( "This deal will probably be acceptable")
200 accept
300 ( "they would never accept such a deal")
250 never
225 accept
235 never
230 accept
233 never
231 accept
232 accept

Now if only civ assist could see where the gpt boundry between "This deal will probably be acceptable" and "They would never accept such a deal" is, I could avoid all that guessing.

Can civassist show how much gold per turn computer opponents are willing to offer in trade?

I want to sell my shiny new tech for mountains of gold, and I want to get every penny. In order to do so, I have to play a guessing game to get the maximum amount of gold.

Example: I have replaceable parts (worth 250 gpt lets say) and want to sell it for gpt only. My trading partner has ironclads tech and 232 gpt. I do not want the ironclads tech since we're on a pangea map.

I'll ask the computer what they'll give me for Replaceable parts and they offer me ironclads and 50gpt. I want to know how much gpt the computer can give me(the 232 number), but I cannot figure that out from the "Would you care to offer something in exchange for X button" because the computer will always include ironclads in their offer. So I start guessing gpt.

100 ( "This deal will probably be acceptable")
200 accept
300 ( "they would never accept such a deal")
250 never
225 accept
235 never
230 accept
233 never
231 accept
232 accept

Now if only civ assist could see where the gpt boundry between "This deal will probably be acceptable" and "They would never accept such a deal" is, I could avoid all that guessing.

howdy Elliot,

that's one thing i would also like to see added to ca2. that back-n-forth guessing game is SO boring. here's hoping that someone can add it.

just in case i wasn't too obvious, ca2 cannot [as far as i can tell] do it now. [*grin*]

take care,
lee

I'm using Windows 7, and have downloaded the .net framework program v1.1. Civassist installs ok, but when I try to use it I get the following .Microsoft .NET Framework error:

An unhandled exception has occurred in your application. Blah blah blah.

Access to the registry key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CivAssist is denied. Clicking on details gives:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CivAssist is denied.
at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32 errorCode, String str)
at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.CreateSubKey(String subkey)
at h3.e()
at h3.c(EventArgs A_0)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.573
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/microsoft.net/framework/v1.1.4322/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
System
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.5000.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll
CivAssist
Assembly Version: 2.0.2387.37490
Win32 Version: 2.0.2387.37490
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/CivAssist%20II/CivAssist.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///c:/windows/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.5000.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
application or machine (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
rather than being handled by this dialog.

Can you help? I had civassist on my previous PC and it was awesome. I now can't play the game without it!

Under performance I don't have any Disable Performance Counter registry entry.

OK got it to run by right clicking the civassist icon, choosing properties. Then under the compatibility tab check the option "Run this program in compatibility mode for " and choose Windows XP. Also checked the "Run as Administrator" box. There are some display issues, but the biggest problem is that it doesn't load the current game and keep it updated. I can load saved games and view the details fine. I think it's something to do with the "new improved" way that windows 7 handles file paths, because when I go to the PTW folder I can't see a Saves directory, which civassist presumably expects to be there.

In fact I'm sure it is, because when I copy the Saves folder (including Auto folder, which civassist must use) back to the PTW directory, it works. Now I just have to figure out how to create a pseudo folder Saves which repoints back to where the virtual folder is!

maybe i didnt search well enough but i was trying to find help running civassist 2 on windows 7 i get message to install .net 1.1.4322 , when i try to do that i get a message to "turn windows features on or off in control panel to install or configure ms.net framework 3.5 sp1. i'm new to Win7 and dont know where to find the turn on/off feature -

any help will be appreciated

KaptainK714, I had the same problem. Hope this helps.

I'm having trouble installing CivAssist II. I run Windows 7, 64-bit.

During installation I get the following message: "This setup requires the .Net Framework version 1.1.4322. Please install the .Net Framework and run this setup again. The .Net Framework can be obtained from the web. Would you like to do this now?" I click yes which takes me to the following website:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/default.aspx
I clicked on "Install it now" and ran the setup again only to get the same message.

Any help would be appreciated. Please note that I'm not very computer literate when you answer this call for help.

Problem solved. After I ran .NET Framework Cleanup Tool 6.0.3790 and installed the .NET Framework version 1.1 redistributable package, everything works fine.

I cant get Civassist working with Vista. I get a "Access to registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\civAssist is denied, followed by an unhandled exception

After a few games with CA2 I would say that one absolutely essential element is missing. I would like to have an overview which AI has which contract (war, trade, ROP, etc.) with all the other AI rivals. This is still kind of a clickfest with more than eight players.:)

After a few games with CA2 I would say that one absolutely essential element is missing. I would like to have an overview which AI has which contract (war, trade, ROP, etc.) with all the other AI rivals. This is still kind of a clickfest with more than eight players.:)
This has been asked before, and it is a reason why this feature is not included. If I recall correctly it was too difficult to implement it.

I cant get Civassist working with Vista. I get a "Access to registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\civAssist is denied, followed by an unhandled exception

This here worked for me: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=8774663#post8774663

This is also already mention in this thread here, a few posts up:

OK got it to run by right clicking the civassist icon, choosing properties. Then under the compatibility tab check the option "Run this program in compatibility mode for " and choose Windows XP. Also checked the "Run as Administrator" box. There are some display issues, but the biggest problem is that it doesn't load the current game and keep it updated. I can load saved games and view the details fine. I think it's something to do with the "new improved" way that windows 7 handles file paths, because when I go to the PTW folder I can't see a Saves directory, which civassist presumably expects to be there.

In fact I'm sure it is, because when I copy the Saves folder (including Auto folder, which civassist must use) back to the PTW directory, it works. Now I just have to figure out how to create a pseudo folder Saves which repoints back to where the virtual folder is!

The problem with the Saves folder went away on my Vista laptop, after I had cut&copied that "VirtualStore" Saves folder back into the C3C installation directory as described here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=8032403#post8032403

I assume that should also work on Windows 7?!

Cheers, Lanzelot

Looking at the post I see this:

"Apparently the problem is that the "Program Files" folder is a protected system folder and ordinary programs can't create files in it?! So what I did is: in the properties of the "CivilizationIII" folder I added "full control for everyone" (make sure it's recursive for the subfolders) and then I copied the entire CivilizationIII folder from the "VirtualStore" directory back into Program Files. (I also set the WinXP compatibility mode and "Run as Administrator" for all executables. Don't know, whether that makes a difference.)
From then on all save files were created in the expected location (C:\Program Files\etc)"

First I sure do not want to copy the entire Civ directory. Second looking at the permissions I see that all levels are set to ALLOW for Admin/System/Users.

CAII never can find the files on start up. I use the pick and they are there and I can select any of them. Run the game and save and I have to go back and pick again to see any new save, regardless of the setting for new saves in CAII.

I changed the archive location in the registry, but it did not matter. CA2 still does not come up with the save loaded. I have to pick it?

Anyone have any simple working methods.

I finally figured this out. If I run C3C as admin and CAII as admin, they can both access the saves in the normal location, rather than in the USER folders. Now I have to figure out how to change them both so the shortcuts start them as admin, rather than going in by hand.

Top Bottom