"We fear you are becoming too advanced" team issue...

aimlessgun

King
So I've putting the computer on teams recently both to ramp up the difficulty and to see if I could produce big good/evil mashups, and I've been having a serious issues with the "We fear you are becoming too advanced" objection to tech trading with them.

Thanks to their combined research, they will have like 7 techs to trade, and I will have 1, but they fear that I am becoming too advanced. Non-teamed AI civs still trade with me as normal. I've gotten so frustrated with it that I just tech 'trade' with the teams via worldbuilder now.

I didn't play vs. teams in BTS so not sure if this is a BTS problem too. Anyone know what's up with this and if there's a fix?

I'm getting the same thing without teams, it usually occurs somewhere around mid-game and only friendly civs would trade tech from that point on.

By the time I get Trade (and its a priority for me most games) all civs fear I'm becoming too advanced on Monarch, above that the tech leaders will trade or everyone will trade. I think its more of an AI overproducing units\tanking their economy issue than anything else.

Hrm so you're saying that they pop that message based on their science slider instead of your actual tech level? I guess that might explain it.

Real example from my last game:

I have: Bronze Working

They have: Construction, Code of Laws, Writing, Knowledge of the Ether, Sanitation, Poisons, Currency, Elementalism.

"We fear you are becoming too advanced."

Actually, it's not based on your technology level at all. It's based on how much technology trading you've been doing with other civilizations. In regular BTS, leaders would have a threshold from 5-20 techs they would 'tolerate', so if you trade 6 techs with different civilizations(6 techs, not 6 civs) leaders like Alexander who had a threshhold of 5 would stop trading, while ones like Mansa Musa would still trade because of their 20 threshold. So the AI could be ahead by 20 techs and refuse trade, you you could be ahead by 20 techs and they would be willing to trade. It's all about diplomacy.

In FFH however, something got messed up. I'm not sure if it was intentional or a mistake, but all leaders now have a threshold of -25. Yes that's right, negative. That XML values was never intended to be negative as far as I know, so it causes VERY glitchy behavior.

Ah interesting. Good to know for normal BTS as well hehe. -25 would definitely explain it since they're giving me the runaround when I have traded no techs previously.

That makes sense, I suppose when they trade it lightens up on you? On higher levels the AI usually gets trade before me so they've been trading and they would trade with me.

Is that how it works?

Is this tech trading -25 bug one of the ones that is going to be fixed in the next patch? (Say, to a level of 10 for starters, until the nuances for different leaders can be decided/worked out?)

Best regards,
Steven.

Is this tech trading -25 bug one of the ones that is going to be fixed in the next patch? (Say, to a level of 10 for starters, until the nuances for different leaders can be decided/worked out?)

Unless Kael misses it, it would be fixed back to 5, like it was previously.

To the devs - is this fix going to be part of patch l?

It's not. And Sephi's XML is still not merged.

Patch m will fix it. Varied rates are being applied depending on the leaders disposition but they are all higher than what they are now.

Patch m will fix it. Varied rates are being applied depending on the leaders disposition but they are all higher than what they are now.

Well in the meantime, here's a quick-fix I made. Unofficial OFC, but I tried to match what leaders would trade with their disposition. Hope you don't mind, since the patch will break savegames people might want a fix for this version.

Thanks Onion. I'll probably try it for my next game so I can stop using worldbuilder to trade techs hehe. I'm guessing the reason teams are literally IMPOSSIBLE to tech trade with is because the -25 of each leader compounds, so a 3 AI team has a staggering -75 mod.

Top Bottom