A New Dawn Beta Builds

You didnt get it? The bug wasnt that the Worker stoped but that after I give the order to continue the wood didnt get cleared, the City still got the Produktion, the Planatation wasnt build and the worker started again from begin.

Without a screenshot or save or any other corroborating reports, this is just anecdotal evidence which I can not act on. Bring me some proof of a bug and I'll look into it.

I know, I know. That's what I tell myself. ;) Had a rough weekend though, so logging on each day and finding a page of complaints was not helping. Especially when the complaints had nothing to do about bugs.

Please don't let it get you down -- there will always be idiots that simply are too lazy to read or don't realize what it takes to do what you do. I for one (and many others)are very grateful for where you have already taken a fine mod, and look forward to any direction you want to take this. You don't owe me, them or anyone else an explanation -- and quite frankly, they/we owe you our gratitude.

BTW, the Ruthless AI freaking rules. I had simulated into the early industrial age and decided to take a crack at fighting a war that I started. My normal tactics of go with the big stack of death, find a decisive battle to fight, win and then eliminate all resistance started well.....the AI was much much more adept at attacking me at my weakpoints instead of at my strengths -- so by the time I got ready for my decisive battle, I could no longer guarantee victory as I had to hold back a lot of units against their strategic counterattacks. I felt like I was fighting a real person instead of the CPU -- that has long since needed to be in play. Anyway, :goodjob:

agree about the AI to be more "I" and "A".
the behaviour is much more realistic. even a Barbar (supposedly stupid) wont attack my axeman with is poor warior or neither attack a city blindly.
The AI as a CIV is even better and act as you mention more like an human will, maybe not as an advanced player will but still much better than befor.

In RoM, fast expansion is not wise, and often leads to empire collapses, especially with Revolutions.

Only true With Revolutions. Not True if you play Without Rev. And there are many of us who do just that, play w/o REV turned on. Even thru all of AND's beta's and versions.

I LOVE your ModMod but I beg you, Please!, don't Force Revolutions on everyone.

Just MHO that if you keep everything an option you will have a larger fan base. I believe we've talked about this before. ;)

EDIT: Beta12 D/L is 0kb. No file is actually D/Ling. Tried 3 times so far each with a different mirror.

JosEPh :)

Yeah I would like to see a custom game option "limited stacks", too. 5 units should be sufficient. If its not possible to code it because of whatever reason you could add the "crowded" promotion, giving a malus to units if they are more than 5 on a tile. I saw it in some other mod sometime.
Last but not least a way to make the AI use "composed" stacks (1 melee, one archer, one horse, one catapult for example) would be nice.

I think if you limit stacks, the "souround and destroy" custom game option might be coming into play nicely. Also, it might be easier to take cities if the crowded promotion is enabled because too many defenders can't be efficient and if your city gets more and more sourounded youre in real trouble....

Sorry for quoting myself but it seems my post (last page) has slipped attention. Afforess, if you aren't willing to do it as a custom game option called "limited stacks", would there maybe be a way to limit stacks to 5 units/tile myself by changing a formula in some file?

Yeah I would like to see a custom game option "limited stacks", too. 5 units should be sufficient. If its not possible to code it because of whatever reason you could add the "crowded" promotion, giving a malus to units if they are more than 5 on a tile. I saw it in some other mod sometime.
Last but not least a way to make the AI use "composed" stacks (1 melee, one archer, one horse, one catapult for example) would be nice.

I think if you limit stacks, the "souround and destroy" custom game option might be coming into play nicely. Also, it might be easier to take cities if the crowded promotion is enabled because too many defenders can't be efficient and if your city gets more and more sourounded youre in real trouble....
I think it will be tough to get the AI to understand this.

quick question.
Don't kill me for asking . . .

beta 10 to 12 save game compatible?
No, they are not.

2) I noticed that the nationality of a tile is no longer displayed, i.e. "100% Spanish". Is that expected? I missed a few betas as I said. When you discover the borders of a rival in the early game and can't see their cities yet, if a couple of civs have very similar border colours then sometimes you can't tell which civ you have bumped into for a while.
Are you playing with Fixed Borders on?

In Beta 11, Fixed Borders displays who owns the tile and the percentage of ownership if more than one person has culture there.

Only true With Revolutions. Not True if you play Without Rev. And there are many of us who do just that, play w/o REV turned on. Even thru all of AND's beta's and versions.

I LOVE your ModMod but I beg you, Please!, don't Force Revolutions on everyone.

Just MHO that if you keep everything an option you will have a larger fan base. I believe we've talked about this before. ;)

EDIT: Beta12 D/L is 0kb. No file is actually D/Ling. Tried 3 times so far each with a different mirror.

JosEPh :)
I realize that. I tweaked a bunch of the new slower growth AI code to only work with Revolutions. That's what I meant when I said I would revisit it. ;)

The file dl is working for me... Are other sourceforge downloads working for you?
Sorry for quoting myself but it seems my post (last page) has slipped attention. Afforess, if you aren't willing to do it as a custom game option called "limited stacks", would there maybe be a way to limit stacks to 5 units/tile myself by changing a formula in some file?

Yeah... I guess I could. It would be pretty hacky, the AI would not understand it, but yes... Not sure why you want it, I think tile restrictions are silly. These are like 20 square mile areas, we can fit tons of troops on them...

In Beta 11, Fixed Borders displays who owns the tile and the percentage of ownership if more than one person has culture there.

I know, this bug was just a case of me cutting out too much code when I updated Fixed Borders. If you read the to do list, you'll see it already been fixed.

Chose religions and limited religions are still not working, just as a reminder so that you do not forget.

I don't know why you would want this. We don't know the combat system in Civ5 is going to work, so can't begin to start simulating it. Also I agree with Afforess, 20 sq miles is a lot of room and you can fit a lot of stuff there. Maybe his limited time shuld be better spent improving Civ4/ROM/AND and less time spent making it more like Civ5, afterall we will have Civ5 before too much longer.

Also, are Warlords automatically enabled when you choose Barbarian Generals? I noticed that the Warlords option is hidden and disabled in beta12 in Afforess_CIV4GameOptionInfos.xml. I certainly did not choose warlords at game setup (this was with beta11), but I did choose barbarian generals. Yet I do get the warlord units. What do I need to select at game setup to get rid of them?
Afforess, I think this one slipped through your fingers. Here is the content of A New Dawn.log:

{Required Files} {Ice Breaker} {Realistic Diplomacy} {Seafaring } {War Prizes} {Espionage Process} Forestation {Sea Tunnels} Terraforming {Lead From Behind} {Event Images} {Surround and Destroy} {No Storms} {Historical Wonders} {Mega Civ Patch} {Better RoM} Withdraw Guilds {Modern Corporations} {Warriors of God} {Better RoM Artwork} {Better RoM Resources}

Warlord units are part of RoM, not A New Dawn. Barbarian Generals and Warlords units are completely unrelated. As for the No Warlords Gameoption, I had reports that it wasn't working anyway, so I just removed it to clear clutter.

Yeah... I guess I could. It would be pretty hacky, the AI would not understand it, but yes... Not sure why you want it, I think tile restrictions are silly. These are like 20 square mile areas, we can fit tons of troops on them...

What do you mean by "hacky"?
I would like to see how wars turn out that way. Plus I want to try to avoid huge stacks as my comp isn't that good. I think smaller stacks (on either side) tend to have higher losses overall which may (or may not) reduce units in game and thus lower the turntimes as the world will become settled more and more. I don't know if it'll work but I would like to give it a try.

I don't know why you would want this. We don't know the combat system in Civ5 is going to work, so can't begin to start simulating it. Also I agree with Afforess, 20 sq miles is a lot of room and you can fit a lot of stuff there. Maybe his limited time shuld be better spent improving Civ4/ROM/AND and less time spent making it more like Civ5, afterall we will have Civ5 before too much longer.

I just wanna have the possibility to simulate it - plus we could provide the CIV5 designers some long-term experience - although not for hexes. As "limited stacks" would be a custom game checkable option nobody would be forced to play with it.

One thing I wonder about would be if the AI still would build units although they could only put them on a tile not near to the front as the front tiles would already be filled by max stacks...

What do you mean by "hacky"?
I would like to see how wars turn out that way. Plus I want to try to avoid huge stacks as my comp isn't that good. I think smaller stacks (on either side) tend to have higher losses overall which may (or may not) reduce units in game and thus lower the turntimes as the world will become settled more and more. I don't know if it'll work but I would like to give it a try.

Hacky because All I am doing is creating a new global defines alt that each unit now has to check each turn to see if it can move into the tile for... Literally, it's just an arbitrary value. The AI will fail miserably with it, especially since Better AI has taught the AI to group together MORE not less. It's ridiculous. Oh, and BTW, this is one of the first Civ5 features I'll be modding out when I get my hands on the SDK....

Oh but don't worry, I added it..............

NICE! Thanks a lot! Gonna give it a try asap. :)

Just loaded a game up and it works too. It's a global define. -1 means unlimited units on a tile, a positive value is the Max number of units per tile, so you can set it to 1, or 2 or 10 or whatever....

Just loaded a game up and it works too. It's a global define. -1 means unlimited units on a tile, a positive value is the Max number of units per tile, so you can set it to 1, or 2 or 10 or whatever....

Is it much more laggy now, as the game has to check for each unit if it is allowed to walk into a tile? And in which file do I have to change which define? I really want to test-play this for the community, if I get some time on my hands the next days.

Wouldn't it be cool if we would make civ5 better without even playing it by testing possible tactics and strategies? All they would have to do would be to add the engine+graphics... ok I guess I am a bit enthusiastic - stupid red, red wine...

Btw. Where do I change the bombarding range of the catapults and archers?^^

P.S. Sid, send a Beta to Afforess - he REALLY deserves it!!!

Wrong Quoting. I meant to quote the post where you promised to add in that stack thing for DRJ.

I would appreciate that this feature be added alongside Dark Ages in 1.7beta.
Just my 2:commerce:s :).

Top Bottom