ImmacuNES III: Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy

oh. dangit. its @ontera(dot)net not (dot)ca [facepalm]

Omg!!! Thats so awesome!!!

EDIT: i put it in the first post.

That is awesome...0_o

Omg!!! Thats so awesome!!!

EDIT: i put it in the first post.

:blush: thanks i`m feeling really honoured... actually it still could use some polishing i think.. but it took some time already.. the first piece i made with gimp, stronger than one might think this programm...

btw: if someone might feel illrepresented on that map he could offer me a different picture instead (but not the patrians.. they`ll stick with the greedy claws for now :) )

i thought that was appropriate

Uld'ar isn't like that. We're civilized orcs. Other then that it's fantastic.

I sent a few players out some preview stats using the 'new' system (ie- nerfs and bonuses). If anyone else is interested in playing with their stats using the new system, please e-mail or post and i'll send you your stats in the new system so you can have a look at them.

I'm pretty happy with the effect its had on the 4 nations i've translated and on the play-testing i did with the Throalic kingdom so i am inclined to think the new stats are pretty balanced but that doesn't mean you'll all agree with me. So... that being said, they are still open to changes if people have serious and valid disagreements with the new system.

Finally, you're not going to like the new system when you see it. Your gold, food and hammer income will all have decreased. But so too will have the income of all the other players.

Generally what i've tried to do is:
1) introduce laws of diminishing returns in a general sense
2) give a little nerf to trade income in general in addition to applying laws of diminishing returns to these improvements
3) reduce the effect of libraries and universities
4) increase the RELATIVE effect of blacksmithes, foundries, workshops, lighthouses and mills (as was my original intention when i designed this game)

If you want to play around with the new template, here it is. alternatively, i can e-mail you your modified stats (when i get time to do so)

Attachments

• template.xls.zip
    108.8 KB · Views: 45
Tourists guide to Krazian Culture

Caste System:
Spoiler :
Krazian culture is designed to emulate the machines they hold in high regard (some would say worship), with each person filing a certain role in the whole.

The Krazian people live in a meritorious caste system, with each caste divided into 14 tiers. A person enters a caste at age 15, but usually apprentice in their parent’s caste (if the parents are from different castes, then they usually join their same-sex parent’s caste) until that time. Advancement in a caste is done by taking caste-specific exams, which can be taken every six months. These exams go until the person is tier 9, at which advancement is by appointment from higher member of the caste.

Caste demotion occurs when a person is deemed to be performing below the requirements of a tier. Most often this is determined by failing a mandatory exam taken every 2 years. Demotion is not considered a sign of same, as Krazian culture believes all beings have a certain position and goal in life, and that there should be no shame associated with limited potential. Demotion, particularly in the top 5 tiers can also be caused by behaviour unbefitting a position. Unlike with the pervious, this sort of demotion is a shameful thing.

People can change their caste every 4 years by performing entrance exams for that caste, and beginning at tier 1, however every time a caste is change 1 level is removed from castes previously occupied.

Officially, al castes are created equally, as are all tiers, however some discrimination is found between castes.

Religion:
Spoiler :
The all Kraznians believe in Dhzrem’Zhia , The Way that Should Be, and most worship Dagda and Nantosuelta , and many worship Junil. Other gods, particularly Danalin, Kilmorph, Lugus, Arawn and Amatheon are also worshiped.

Dhzrem’Zhia is a much a culture as a religion, and dictate every aspect of Krazian society. The Dhzrem’Khzriash is a holy text of the Dhzrem’Zhia (though “text” is most literal, as the original Dhzrem’Khzriash is carved into 6 metre tall steel slabs plated in gold), and every Kraznian owns vellum book with the ‘Khzriash (short term for the words themselves), even if they cannot read it.

Dhzrem’Zhia dictates that Kraznians be calm and contemplate all options before making decisions, should accept their place and position in the world, should work hard to perform their duties, and should consider all sides in any conflict.

In adition to the above, their is a growing movement amung some of the Kraznians towards the Airdriash'Mechzius, The Path of the Machine, though they are still secrative and little know outside their ranks. What is know is that they belive in the perfect machine, and are atempting to serve (or create) it.

I'm not at all happy with this. I've worked hard to get my stats to where they are and I don't want to see them slashed like this every time you decide they have become too high.

I'm sorry but the preview of my stats is unacceptable. My incomes have been either halved or almost halved in all cases.

You should try either improving bad terrain or changing costs, when making changes you should improve the situations of the weak players not destroy the positions of the strong ones like you are with the proposed changes. Other then that there's probably something wrong with the multiplier of markets and other buildings if they can get your income from 10 to 100 in the way you described.

I would prefer it if you were to improve the lands of certain players who chose to build their city in a wasteland by adjusting their fertility or adding resources or whatever you want to do and leave the rest of us alone.

Please explain why you think this targets you in particular ekolite.

It doesn't target me in particular, but it is unfairly (and unfunly) damaging, and I strongly suspect hits me harder then most if not all other players.

What I think you should do is even out the differences in terrain quality (by improving poor terrain only) and looking into the trade mechanics which are seem to be unbalanced.

It doesn't target me in particular, but it is unfairly (and unfunly) damaging, and I strongly suspect hits me harder then most if not all other players.

What I think you should do is even out the differences in terrain quality (by improving poor terrain only) and looking into the trade mechanics which are seem to be unbalanced.

1. I disagree that it is unfair. If you care to describe why you feel its unfair for the players, I would be happy to discuss it with you.

My feelings are that it affects everyone equally, including the NPCs. I also think it is MORE fair not less fair because it evens out the choice between different paths that a player may choose to take. I played world of warcraft for a few months about 3-4 years ago (after watching my buddy play it) (shame!). Every couple weeks (I don’t remember exactly), they would ‘patch’ the game and everyone would be upset but ultimately the moderators of that world felt the game was MORE balanced when they made these changes. I feel the same way.

But again, like I said, I would be happy to discuss the ‘fairness’ of the changes.
  2. I know that you (and probably everyone else) feels its not fun to have your stats cut by 1/4 to 1/3 in one turn. And i sympathize. BUT, having said that, I think it will be MORE fun in about 2 turns and stay more fun after that. The reason I say this is that while when you first get to the point where you have a lot of power to suddenly play with (you can hire your first mage or you can build a second city), its stops being fun when you get these major milestones turn after turn. It should be exciting and importantly, novel, to reach these major milestones. By ‘stretching’ the difference between turns (especially in a NES where the moderator updates fairly frequently as I do) these milestones retain their novelty. It also lets you explore and play with your new toys more before they become ‘obsolete’.
  3. I am not sure if it hits you harder then most players. I’ve only looked at 4. It didn’t hit your X or Y hardest but so far it did hit your Z hardest. Now, considering you focused so much on Z and I am trying to specifically target things that are undergoing exponential growth too quickly, I am happy with that effect.

I have no idea how this will effect me, but I'm going to most likely be for a general nerf. If it hits everyone then no one is better off and we can just go on with our plans from there. Of course I'm saying this as someone whose technically one turn behind you guys so might not hit me as hard but who knows.

Actually I think these milestones should be turn after turn. Just think about FFHNES2, the vast majority of features, buildings and units were never even reached because the game didn't last long enough. 20 turns since the start of the game and still no one had discovered archery for example.

Secondly my stats have not been cut by 1/4 or even by 1/3 but by half, and more in one case.

Legend of the Machine

Spoiler :
[An inscription carved into the wall of what appears to be an ancient machine-works]

In the beginning, there was Nothing.
After Nothing, came the Machine.
Before the Beginning, there was the Machine.
Before the Beginning, there was Order.
Before Order, there was the Machine.
The Machine was Order, the Machine was Perfection.​
The Machine was the Enemy of Nothing.​
After the Fall, smaller god fought the smaller god.
After the Fall, greater god fought greater god.
After the Fall, the Machine was
Lost.​
After the Fall, Order was lost.
After the Fall, Perfection was lost.
Without the Machine was Chaos, Without the Machine was Imperfection.​
Chaos was the enemy of all.​
After the War, the Machine was Restored.
After the War, the Machine was Lord.
After the War, the Machine did Rise.
After the War, the Machine was King.
After the War, the Machine did Grow.
Rise with the Machine was Order, Rise with the Machine was Perfection​
The Machine was King of All.​
During the Reign, The Machine did Rule.
During the Reign, Man was Perfect.
During the Reign, Man did Serve.
During the Reign, Man had Order.
During the Reign, the Bond was Forged.
Man and Machine were Perfect, Man and Machine had Order.​
Man and Machine where One.​
Now, the Machine is Lost.
Now, Man is Imperfect.
Now, the Machine is Forgotten.
Now the Man is Chaos.
Now, the Bond is Lost.
Man without Machine is Imperfect, Man without Machine is Chaos.​
This will Not Last.​

[Well below, hidden among dust and rubble]
Now, Nothing Rises.
Now, Nothing is Void.
Now, Nothing is Coming.
Now, Nothing is Empty.
Now, Nothing Lurks.
Nothing is Void, Nothing is Empty​
Nothing is the Enemy of All.​

Wow, good writing Darksaber. I really like the formatting - gives it an inhuman quality. Looks like you found your perfect civ (going by your avatar and quote, that is).

re: nerf. Yeah, my stats are hit hard too, especially food (I was relying on one fishery for most of my yield). You think that's bad for orcs - it takes almost 3 times as much food for a troll to grow. Still, the system was horrifically unbalanced, and that just isn't fun. Exponential growth severely punishes players who don't exploit it early, and it amplifies any differences in beginning placement. Worse, there is no way to alter your yields, so there is no mechanism for the unlucky to catch up.

Still, playing with the new template has given me a few ideas on how to best crush my opposition into a pulp. Need a hint? One word, just one word...
Spoiler :
plastics :lol:

Uld'ar isn't like that. We're civilized orcs. Other then that it's fantastic.

i actually tried to find a picture of an civilised orc.. and did not find one...
then i checked for leprous orcs.. no luck there.. not even a sick one..
finally i took that one because he looked fat.. and i thought that could have been one of your people problem.. fast grow.. no healthcare... no workout... just eating and studying... forgetting about the lesser needs :)
but like i said.. if you supply me with a image you favour i`m happy to change it.. thats no biggy..

rulechanges:
i haven`t seen my new stats... but at this point i support them blindly.. the new template makes sense to me, and the reassons for the changes look pretty ehmm.. reassonable to me.

Top Bottom