ImmacuNES III: Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy

...Is that one of my golems, or a Horror? (OR some other golem/golem-horror)

its a golem (i think).

on a more general note:
i would highly recommend that those who provide orders to use their military also provide some orders as to how, specifically, they are to be deployed or used. If you provide no outline of what your forces are supposed to do so as to achieve the goals that are set out for them, i have to use my imagination and its probably better for YOUR forces if YOU use YOUR imagination instead.

this isn't a complaint and you are free to give very rudimentary orders but the difference between success and failure can hinge on tactics so you might as well provide some thought-out tactics if you have the time and inclination to write them. Seon can maybe give you an example. He had written up some really interesting orders to turn back the hippus attack about 2-3 turns ago (and made drawings). these really helped him a lot.

have the instructions I've been giving my military specific enough? If not then I could elaborate them. I'm not sure how we can give very specific orders, since noone really knows the military capabilities of their rivals except in a very broad sense, and mostly people are defending which means they are almost purely reacting against an unknown enemy force. I suppose we can have basic defence plans, like stick to the hills or stay near the fort but any plans past that would fall apart in the face of an unpredictable invasion force and the generals would be better advised to wing it and retain flexibility in strategy rather then try to stick to a rigid plan and be taken apart. I've really got to stop reading Orsen Scott Card's Shadow series now, I can't stop thinking of strategy

Can we give a bit more instruction to our military units now?

I agree with KF. When you have very little idea as to what you are fighting its difficult to give more specific orders.

i agree with both of you too- i'm not asking for paragraph after paragraph. two or three sentances would be nice though.

your orders were fine kf.

In my case: spears/pikers protect crossbows, javeliners screen the flanks, scouts screen the army to look for ambushes before battle.

The tale of Chubba

Chapter two: The staff

Spoiler :
The victory against the gray shadows was already laying back the past some month. The kharkusian army has been marching through the cold autumn forests since then. There had been more soldiers on the way towards victory then there have been on the day they left the battleground. And due to injuries and nasty weather conditions there numbers had still been dripping since.
Chubbas left side had been of no use since the moment the gray pushed their teeth into it. Like dead meat it had been hanging down. But the pain and infection had been growing from day to day. He had not been sure anymore if he would survive all the way home.
Enko, a strong runner which Chubba knew since quite a while, didn't loose his arm, but half his face had been looking like minced meat and he had not been speaking every since.
Moral had been at a low, not just for him but within all squads off the kharkusian army. Rumors had been spreading that they would never manage to reach the tents of their wives and daughter before winter comes. Hope had been falling like the leaves from the trees.
And the strongest son had been alarmingly silent for the last weeks. Maybe had sensed the unavoidable, maybe he had lost the blessing of Kharmulosh. Some days ago Chubba had seen the general sitting at a campfire in solitude. No one had been allowed to come close to him. All alone the grand shaman of Kharmulosh has been sitting there staring at that weird shaped staff he had been taken from the cold claws of the gray shadow leader. The gray skull of that very beast had been plugged onto the top. And while good kharkusian man had been dying in despair their leader had been staring into the holes which one inhabited the eye boles of their sworn nemesis.

The skies grew darker every day, the horizon was grayer than a gray shadows guts. Clothes where soaking wet and the cold wind was blowing from there north carrying the smell of death brethren left behind with him.
Enko was standing on a small hill surrounded by many men. He was talking again, and gesticulating wildly with his arms. Chubba got interested, so he joined the crowed. What he was hearing next made his heart freeze.
What ever was left of Enko proclaimed that Kharmulosh abandoned them and that their belong to Agares now. That despair will be the new ruler of their souls. And that they will never reach home again. All around Chubba, once brave, kharkusian soldiers where crumbling to the ground like the last will of survival had finally left their spirit.
The preaching of lost hope was running the military camp over like a bushfire. Chubba himself was temped let his will drop in front of Agares. But there was something left in his soul. A small portion of will-power. The remembrance of their victory. Trapped in the hollow look of the gray beasts skull.
So he went to the generals tent. Normally he would not have been allowed to enter the tent just like this. But like it seemed one of the personal guards cut his veins in despair while the other one was laying on the ground in agony.

Chubba is entering the generals tent. The strongest son asks him what his business might be. After Chubba explains the severe situation both of them are leaving the tent towards the hill Enko is preaching on. The strongest son is holding his mighty ax in his one hand and the staff with the gray skull in the other one. And he ensures Chubba that everything will be fine again in just one moment.
While marching the strongest son is starting to intone a traditional kharkusian warrior chant. They tremble over lots of lost soldiers. But more and more kharkusian men are joining in into the chant and they are following the general towards the preacher of despair.
There the strongest son, kicks his way through the whining crowed, chops of Enkos head without a comment before turning towards his army.
He raises the staff into the skies, it looks like he is growing into them. Light starts to emit from the staff and flashes of golden light are coming out the eye boles of the skull. It feels like the skies are clearing out, like the pain disappears, and the winds are turning carrying the smell of stove-fire from the south. The strongest son proclaims that he got the power of grayskull.
Despair is defeated, hope is restored, soon they will be home.

While I was looking for evidence to erase in my computer, I found this bit of story.

Spoiler :
Isidor was talking non-stop, spewing harsh words and accusations around towards the council members. The council was unusually silent and rather receptive. They could hear the new tone in Isidor’s voice. It was a voice that commanded absolute obedience in all who hear it…or else.

In their minds the council members all cursed Silvanus. If only he hadn’t…

Earlier that day:

Isidor paced back and forth in his room. He could hear a mob of people outside, talking excitedly amongst them. Suddenly, all grew silent, and a single voice addressed them all.

Silvanus

It was only 30 minutes later, 8 minutes after the scheduled meeting time and shortly after a chorus of clapping that the new general entered Isidor’s chamber.

Silvanus was an imposing figure at 6 feet tall. It was not that he struck fear into hearts of millions; it was that he had a sort of a glow around him. Isidor could swear that the room rose 5 degrees in temperature the moment he entered.

A great coat fluttered behind him. An ancient rumpled field cap adorned his head.

And he was smoking from a pipe.

It wasn’t that easy to wear down Isidor’s patience. At this point all Isidor could to prevent himself from exploding was to smile.

He walked into the chamber casually, puffing out smoke from his pipe. He let out a whistle.

Behind him Isidor could see the new general’s…court. Isidor hesitated to call them staff.

“Good day, General. How’s your health?” Isidor put one hand on his desk’s edge.

“Nice room you have here, Isidor.” Silvanus said instead of replying.

Crunch.

“What was that?” Silvanus asked, frowning.

“Nothing,” Isidor replied. He hastily shoved a rather large fragment of his desk into his pocket. “You...You do realize why you are called here, no?”

“Of course,” Silvanus smiled. “May I leave now?”

“Wha…”

“I will need to prepare my departure immediately, don’t you think, Isidor? I will send you a list of what I require later.”

“O-of course,” stammered Isidor. “I…look forward to seeing you on command again, general.”

Isidor watched as Silvanus smiled and exited the room.

A scream and one pulverized desk later, Isidor exited through the secret door.

……….

The council members cowered. If Silvanus could be credited with one thing it would be angering Isidor to this degree and escaping unharmed.

They wondered how in Agares’s name he managed to do it.

power of greyskull is awesome!!!!

edit:
So uhh update coming today?

probably... i still got lots to do but i have a nice chunk of free time to do it in.

I'm guessing late evening canadian time? Tomorrow morning for me of course.

Update 7: Years 1140-1150: War, New Tribes, Development

”All war is deception.”

Sun Tzu​

Palitante Chosen Raid Friendly Community

For a third time the Palitante are visited by mysterious supernatural forces that strike in the dead of night and leave only dried husks where there was once men. The clawed, fanged creatures bearing bat-like wings fall upon a Palitante mining village. Little do the creatures know however, but the village has prepared for such an eventuality. Men and women, regular miners know that the night is dangerous. Between Hippus undead and the mysterious raiders, there is much to fear in the dark and so they have prepared. Miner’s picks are never far from bedding and many of the townsfolk have trained to use them to defend themselves. Instead of the usual massacre which leaves no survivors to tell the exact tale, this time a handful of the creatures are felled by the villages. In the light of the morning, nearly 1/3 of the villagers have been killed. But so too have 3 of the creatures. Their bodies are dragged to the village square and examined publicly. Unexpectedly, the creatures are very human, very Palitante. The wings and fangs are retractable and when removed, the creatures are easily identified as members of the elite unit of Palitante light infantry known as the ‘Chosen’.

Immediately commoners all throughout the Palitante nation are whispering of the ‘supernaturally fast and strong’ Chosen, speaking of them feeding upon their numbers. Public opinion is horribly divided and the role of the government in the rumored ‘cover-up’ remains a hotly debated topic.

Perhaps it is good that the Chosen are called away at this time for a counter-attack upon the Hippus undead forces.

Palitante gain ‘Frightened Villagers’ building improvement (-1 governance, -1 culture, -1 food, -1 hammers)

Kraz-Ke-Meka, Palitante Joint Army Raid Undead Hippus

Years of raids by the undead Hippus upon both the Palitante and Kraz-Ke-Meka nations finally trigger a counter-attack in the early portion of the fourth decade of the twelfth century. These two nations send numerous dispatches back and forth and finally organize a force that will meet in neutral territory not far west of the expected undead Hippus ‘village’. Additionally the Kraz-Ke-Meka generously provide their northern neigbor with foodstuffs to help them survive the deadly winters immediately following the extensive pillaging of the undead horsemen in recent years.

The Kraz-ke-Meka forces train for almost two years before setting out to meet the Palitante forces that have already been marching for a similar period of time. Finally in 1046 they unite in one large army. The Palitante are commanded by the charismatic Silvanus while the Kraz-ke-Meka are commanded by the humble commoner’s hero, Julien the Piker. As their armies come together, the Kraz periphery scouts begin reporting sighting horsemen on the horizon that are keeping careful tabs on the massed armies.

The army is due to arrive at the previously visited village in late summer of 1047 but in the early spring of the same year the undead hippus send forth their own forces to skirmish and harass the allied armies. Though the number of horsemen are less then they have been in recent years, a result of the recent raids by the Kraz-ke-Meka and their decisive battles against the undead cavalry forces, they are still formidable, their lancer and mounted javelineers divisions now accompanied by newly trained horse-archer and armor-bearing medium cavalry divisions. It is these forces that, with the undead’s preference for night, strike at the infantry- and crossbowmen- heavy armor of the allied forces. At first the undead strike primarily with javelins and arrows, their volleys answered by the volleys of the Palitante slingers and crossbowmen and the crossbowmen and javelin-throwers of the Kraz-ke-Meka. Fortunately for the allied armies, their missile units are more heavily armored and though there is some causalties, the balance of forces does not perceptively change. This continues night after night and soon the allied forces begin to sleep during the day and march at night, a tactic that is repaid vis-à-vis endurance and heat avoidance once the allied forces reach the dry hot deserts of the central plains.

The dry desert of the central plains

Though the skirmishes and raids slow down the advancing army, the real test is that lack of fresh water in the desert. With neither army taking special provisions to supply themselves with fresh water, the undead horsemen are particularly successful in slowing the allies by poisoning all major springs and oases along their march. The thirst of the advancing army does much to reduce morale and sap strength amongst the invading army, the only exceptions being the elite Palitante Chosen who, though their prestige remains wounded (see above), remain resistant to the effects of the heat and thirst and the Kraz golems who suffer more from the sand then they do the dryness or heat.

Finally the army arrives within days of the site of the undead infrastructure. Raids and thirst have whittled their numbers and done much to sap their strength but leadership, discipline and a powerful need for revenge keeps the allies motivated. A strong mounted enemy forces prevents Kraz-ke-Meka scouts from gaining too much information for the advancing army; their attempts to operate forward of the army often ending in decisive attacks by the horsemen upon their isolated numbers.

As the forces march through the evening under a clear cloudless star-filled sky, the familiar ‘creak-creak-whomp’ of mangonel artillery fire fills the night. Suddenly grapeshot is landing amongst the marching ranks and the call for ‘shields up’ goes up. Spearmen are able to protect themselves but crossbowmen, slingers and pikers are forced to abandon their formation and spread out to avoid heavy attrition. Wide panic-striken eyes pear into the darkness expecting the enemy at any moment. The familiar beat of charging horse hoofs is not heard. Instead the ‘whoooooosh, thak!’ sound of incoming arrow volleys precede heavy bowmen fire. The crossbowmen and slingers begin to fire back, neither human force able to pick out their targets too well in the distance and the dark. Meanwhile much of the infantry continue to approach at a quick march, their numbers led by the Kraz golems and their ever-present scouts.

Golems lead the way

Volley after volley flies through the night air but as the allied infantry continue their advance, they soon learn why the undead return fire does not seem to be diminishing. The undead have constructed a vast series of trenches and sunken crenalations from which they can fire with little fear of return fire. Behind them, small units of undead man the mangonels, continuing their fire into the massed infantry and allied crossbowmen.

Silvanus is furious and orders a general charge all along line. The Kraz infantry, though experienced veterans, are not highly trained and quickly follow their allies. The infantry of both nations run directly into a second series of trenches, these ones covered in canvas tarps and a thin layer of sand. The traps are filled with thin iron spikes like roasting skewers sharpened to a razor-like edge. Screaming in pain and frustration and weakened by thirst the infantry line do their best to recover even as the undead archers lay into the trapped forces from less then 40 feet.

The allied missile units are quick to rush forward to assist their infantry upon news of the trap, providing withering return cover-fire to prevent the enemy archers from completely decimating their struck infantry. The infantry meanwhile reform their lines as best they can; the Kraz golems forming a nucleus around which they organize, their thick hides providing the only protection available against the short-ranged enemy fire. As they do so, a great horn is blow from the undead camp and a general retreat ensues. The lightly-encumbered and relatively fresh undead archers set out at a fast jog while the undead horsemen guard their flanks. Again, the mangonels are abandoned.

The human allies are bewildered by this behavior and as dawn approaches and their troops regroup and have a chance to explore the area, they soon learn that the undead foundries, tanneries and other infrastructure has been moved. All that remains are entrenchments, the mangonels and clay brick foundations where once there had been a foundry and metal-casting workshop. The village had been transformed into a trap.

Silvanus is eager to send the Kraz scouts to track the undead and determine their location but Julien the Piker quickly retorts that they would only be destroyed if they attempted to track the undead who would no doubt post a mounted rear-guard. For now, he orders a wide-scale search for an unpolluted oasis while his forces regroup and heal what wounds they can. For four nights they rest undisturbed, and as the scouts return with word of fresh drinkable water and a thirsting, the wounded army that has not yet truly had a chance to engage the enemy in a decisive battle sets out. As it does, is once again is set upon by mounted undead. Now the allied crossbow and sling fire is much reduced, the mongonels and undead archers having thinned their ranks considerably. The undead, also having suffered attrition, have gained a small advantage in ranged fire however and as the allied army marches for the oasis, they are quick to press their small advantage, closing to javelin-range and pressing their advantage against any unit not carrying shields. The allied counter-attack is great however and this cost the horsemen considerably. None-the-less, it is a price they seem willing to pay to deplete the allied forces.

Finally, 7 nights after the battle at the Hippus trenches, the allied force arrives at the oasis. Neither Silvanus nor Julien are able to stop the mass failure in discipline as the allied forces catch glimpse of the clean clear waters and they charge the oasis with single-minded thirst. Only the Chosen and the Kraz golems retain their discipline and are able to form their ranks to meet the charge of the undead horsemen as they sweep in from behind concealing dunes on the far horizon. Even as the cry goes up amongst the ranks that the horsemen are charging the broken formations of the allied forces, the first ranks who have reached the oasis raise their own cry. The undead hippus infantry waits within the waters themselves and even as the first ranks of allied humans arrive at the waters edge, their spears take the front ranks of allied forces unprepared.

Fortunately for the allied forces, the golems are able to repel the first cavalry charges by the undead medium cavalry while the Chosen, again calling upon their super-human speed and strength engage the lancers divisions as they wheel and turn for a second charge on the unprotected flanks of the thirsting army.

For the mass of thirsting human forces who can see, just beyond the bristling array of dripping spears, the water they have thirsted for for so long, the battles does not go as well. The undead do not suffer from thirst and they fight in formation. The humans have broken formation and many are eager to break ranks again if an opening appears for them to rush past and slake their burning throats. It is the more veteran forces that hold the line against the undead infantry at the oasis. They call upon their less experienced brothers to hold a line, to reform ranks but as they organize themselves the undead press their attack, knowing they must quickly break the ranks of the enemy if they want to turn the human’s raid.

The hippus mounted archer and lightly armored unmounted archers soon appear from the same dune the mounted undead cavalry had and turn their missiles upon the backs of the infantry forces fighting at the oasis. Fortunately, they are armored and the allied humans quickly turn their own missiles upon the undead archers.

Despite the element of surprise amongst the allied infantry, theirs is the first to turn the tide against the undead. Though organized and fighting a disorganized enemy, Julien the Piker has prepared for many eventualities and fighting from a unprepared position has been one of these. He quickly extends the rear-most lines in a wide arc around the undead spearmen and leading with the Palitante axmen and his own unit of pikes flank and finally crumble the enemy infantry.

Meanwhile the golems form an excellent barricade against flanking charges by the hippus cavalry into the otherwise open rear of the human infantry. While they hold the line, the Chosen, personally led by the Palitante general, Silvanus, engage and hold the enemy lancers and cavalry in a one-sided battle, acting as the hammer to the golems’ anvil.

After nearly an hour of intense battle, the enemy flees, their entire infantry force and much of their heavier cavalry completely lost. Only a small division of archers, mounted archers and lighter cavalry are able to escape.

Though the allies have won, the cost has been great. The enemy, though greatly outnumbered, has fought with intelligence and courage, using the local terrain and conditions to their advantage and preventing the use of scouts by the enemy by maintaining constant harrying raids upon them.

Ultimately, attrition amongst the allied ranks too great, the terrain too unforgiving and the enemy camp location a mystery, the allied army orders a general retreat to regroup, reinforce and re-equip.

Palitante light infantry: shield and ax, medium infantry: spear and shield, light missile: light crossbowmen gain 1 experience. Slingers, shield and ax infantry, light crossbowmen wounded. Kraz leader Julien the Piker gains 1 brains. Scouts, medium missile: light crossbow (x2), medium infantry; spear and shield, pike gain experience. Scouts, pike, light crossbow (x2), medium spear and shield infantry, javilineers wounded.

Utilicans Guard Against Return of Slavers

The Utilican emperor Flavinus orders preparations in expectation of returning slavers. Villagers are taught to protect themselves in militias and provided with rudimentary weapons. Additionally, he places command of his army under the newly promoted high-priestess Ekella the Flagellant and orders them to patrol the countryside. Fortunately the attacks do not reoccur and the people, glad in the attention paid to them by their beloved emperor are eager to please him with increased productivity and promises of servitude.

Utilica gains 2 food, 2 hammers. If the Utilicans hire a unit this turn it costs 1 gold, 1 food (if appropriate) and 1 hammer (if appropriate) less then normal.

Sjykalfar Make Major breakthroughs in Arcana

The Riaï council of the Sjykalfar, despite their difficulties with the Araïlumni and Pilsetans have continued their single-minded pursuit of arcane knowledge. In the early 40s, mages and scholars make major breakthroughs, their focus on the dark magiks of necromancy. One of the first things they do is develop a raw mana source amongst the lands they share with the Pilseta, turning it into a source of ‘death mana’.

A riaï scholar-mage amongst the Skykalfar named Rasmus Svigard has taken possession of the maple seed from the court’s gardener. Eager to explore the realms of magics made available by his and others research and just as eager to strike a decisive blow against the ‘protectionism of dead gods’, he uses the newly developed death mana to thoroughly corrupt and shape the seed. In an unexpected ritual upon the very grounds that the Araïlumni once called Princess Anabella an apostate at, he plants the seed and calls upon the powers of necromancy. The seed soon sprouts even as the air all around the riaï court begins to dim and is soon plunged into darkness. Trees and plants in the nearby vicinity begin to shrivel and dry and finally with a multitude of creaking snapping sounds fall and shatter. At the same time a mighty grey and black tree begins to grow from the corrupted seed of Succellus. Rasmus Svigard begins to shape the magics using his newly discovered rituals and soon the tree sprouts rooms and bridges, sinister and elegant like the riaï themselves. Floating white lights emitting whispered voices of long-lost souls float amongst the branches and walkways.

Rasmus Svigard offers a magical palace to the Riai council and its princess.

Throwing off his veils and revealing his greenish pallor, Rasmus turns to his queen and the rest of the riaï council, “Majesty, I bring you a gift. A mighty symbol of your wise rule and the rise of the Sjykalfar; May you rule forever!”

Sjykalfar receive ‘Sjykalfar Dark Tree Palace’ building (+2 health, +1 culture, +1 gold), partially for having achieved a benchmark rank in arcane technology and partially for their corruption of a magical item. Lesser benefits are available for other technology benchmarks.

Achatin Defend Sjykalfar From Pilsetan Aggression

While Sjykalfar mages and scholars are developing a mana node to their west in lands traditionally travelled by both the Pilsetans and their folk, the Pilsetans are developing a second mana node found to the south of the Sjykalfar, also amongst lands traditionally considered both Pilsetan and Sjykalfar. The majority of the Pilsetan army has taken defensive positions around the mana node, no doubt wishing to secure their investment so that its potential powers can later be unleashed upon the western elves.

The Sjykalfar meanwhile, are not eager to commit their armies to their western border, expecting an attack by the general in exile, the Araïlumni at any moment. They are however, able to convince Achatin soldiers under the command of Captain James Driftmore, the unpopular but intelligent gnomish commander of the Achatin homeguard, to assist in their defense and the defense of their newly developed ‘death-mana’ node.

Captain Driftmore, known for his efficiency and capacity to move armies at forced march, arrives just as the mana node is being completed, setting camp on the edge of the ‘North Pilsetan’ as locals know the river in a defensable position. Without orders to attempt to invade or engage the enemy, they assume a defensive posture.

It is a matter of years before the Pilsetans strike and when they do, they first attempt to outmaneuver the mixed dwarven and gnomish army. In late summer of 1048, several score of Pilsetan galleys gently row upstream, in full view of the Achatin army, very obviously penetrating into Sjykalfar territory. The land based Achatin army is helpless to prevent the naval invasion, the range of their weapons too limited to strike at the sailors and the marines that the ships carry.

Immediately Captain Driftmore dispatches half a dozen slingers back to the Sjykalfar ‘Shadow General’ to warn of the impending invasion and orders his forces to track the ships upstream. His forces do so, able to keep up with the quick pace of the galleys only because they row against the currents. Each night the galleys put in on the opposite bank and each night the two armies camp within sight of one another, their campfires visible one to the other and their soldiers’ songs heard by one another.

Finally, after nearly a month of marching and rowing slingers acting as scouts suddenly report to Captain Driftmore that a flanking force of Pilsetan infantry and bowmen will soon arrive at the Achatin rear. If there had been proper scouts with the Achatin force, they would have been better prepared for the flanking maneuver but as it stands, they have less then 20 minutes to prepare. Captain Driftmore orders his forces to a nearby hill, away from the river and to form into proper lines. Soon enough enemy infantry and bowmen appear from the downstream (the west) and form into lines of their own. The Pilsetans are outnumbered but highly trained; they are also well led by the Lion Tribe councilwoman herself. Meanwhile the galleys make a wide sweep and disgorge additional infantry to the east of Captain Driftmore’s forces.

Captain Driftmore is forced to choose between attempting to engage the separate forces before they can converge on his position and destroy them individually or retain the high ground and fight a united enemy. Captain Driftmore chooses to immediately charge the infantry being landed to the east with the entirety of his forces, hoping to destroy them before they can assume a proper formation. The enemy are light spearmen and slingstones soon begin to rain upon their shields even as ax skirmishers run along their flank landing many a blade into right unshielded flank. Driftmore commands his own medium infantry to charge the enemy center as they protect against the raining slingstones and sends his lighter sword-wielding infantry at their left flank. Outnumbered, outmaneuvered and isolated, the enemy spearmen quickly rout and begin swimming back to their galleys.

A gnomish ax-wielding officer stands over a corpse-strewn battlefield

Driftmore now turns to face the Lion Tribe general and her forces. The enemy now controls the high-ground and immediately begin to unloose volley after volley of arrow fire upon the recently victorious forces of Captain Driftmore. The enemy must have orders to focus on the more lightly armored and unshielded Achatin forces and soon the gnomish and dwarven slingers and ax skirmishers begin to quickly drop. Driftmore, again embracing an aggressive nature, orders a charge upon the enemy spearmen. Charging uphill his infantry lines are not nearly as fresh as the enemy lines, especially considering their recent engagement against the galley-landed forces. The Pilsetans counter-charge with their own spearmen and the two forces meet with a mighty clash. Meanwhile the Pilsetan bowmen continue to launch volley after volley before they drop their bows and draw long curved swords; they are missile infantry.

Driftmores forces outnumber the enemy but their generalship, training and energy is superior to the mixed gnomish and dwarven force. The battle initially goes badly for the Achatin and soon turns much worse as the glory-minded Lion Tribe general and her bodyguard fight through the Achatin line and engage Driftmore directly. The Pilsetan leaeder manages to personally land a spear through the diaphragm of the Achatin commander and he falls, bloody froth spewing from his mouth and nose. The effect is immediate and horrendous upon the Achatin line and it soon begins to waver and appears about to turn and rout.

The Lion Tribe General; a powerful adversary bent on personal glory

When everything seems posed to fail for the Achatin, a lone Sjykalfar warrior appears. It is no other then Princess Anabella herself and she commands no less then the will of the dead themselves. Suddenly grey smoking bubbles begin to burst amongst the Pilsetan ranks as she mutters arcane chants and weaves tendrils of dark necromantic magics. These ‘circles of death’ instantly kill all Pilsetans within their radius. New courage returns to the Achatin as they witness the horrible power of their ally. With renewed strength they push against the spell-bombarded enemy and soon dead Achatin and Pilsetan soldiers are pulling themselves from the dirt and grass, filled with the necromantic second ‘life’ of Princess Anabella’s spellcraft. These raised ‘zombies’ do much to disconcert the Achatin allies but do manage to assist in the battle and soon the Lion Tribe general is ordering a general retreat back to the waiting galleys.

The last sight of the Lion Tribe general and the Pilsetan raiding party is are quickly retreating galleys trailing wounded Pilsetan soldiers swimming as best they can.

Achatin ax skirmisher, gnomish slingers, light infantry: sword and shield wounded. Gnomish slingers, light swordsmen, medium infantry: spear and shield gain experience. Captain Driftmore killed. Pilsetan light spear and shield infantry destroyed, light spear and shield infantry, light missile infantry: bow and sword wounded. Light infantry: spear and shield, light missile infantry: bow and sword gain experience. Achatin soldiers in southern army group wary of Princess Anabella, the Sjykalfar and their magics.

continued…

Update 7: Years 1140-1150: War, New Tribes, Development (continued)​

Uld’ar Found Renegade

Muldar Edoris, forward-thinking prophet and high governor of the Uld’ar clan has long sough to expand the reach and power of his people and in 1042, sends colonists south to the coast opposite the Pilsetan communities where he orders the construction of the city of ‘Renegade’.

Ragnor Huldimun, an outspoken zealot amongst the Il-Javaskart is sent to govern the city with intelligence and creativity but despite his best efforts, a constant flow of immigrants quickly overpower his capacity to manage the small village as it grows, quickly and without proper infrastructure from village to town to small bustling city. With minimal employment to occupy the immigrants, by 1048, Renegade has become a center of poverty, criminal gangs and disease.

Though rife with problems, ‘Renegade’ already promises industrial, commercial and research development for the Uld’ar

Ragnor Huldiman has lost much personal credibility amongst the council as he sends back letter after letter requesting a stoppage to the immigration and funds to develop granaries, a city hall, farms and mines so as to govern, feed and occupy the people of the small city before it implodes upon itself.

Renegade Founded. Caution warned against continued urban expansion.

Devil-Rats Strike at Isolated Throalic and Uld’ar Civilians

Though the Blackthreads have been vanquished, it seems their leader, the ‘Rat-Horror’ is not finished with the Uld’ar or Throalic nations. Rat-like creatures begin to appear amongst the poorer districts of both cities, striking at the unprotected or isolated, killing and maiming. These attacks begin in 1142 and continue to present. Though they do little to cause actual damage to production or government, the fear they instill does much to upset the populations of these nations.

In Renegade the attacks are more effective as the unemployed population has little to do but repeat the horrific tales of the attacks.

Throal, Uldar, Renegade gain ‘Rat Attacks’ building (-1 governance, health). Renegade gains additional -1 gold, -1 research from the ‘building’.

Aifon Report Final Victory Over Corrupted Kin

In 1047, the Aifon diplomat, Kaaiman, reports final victory over the Diabhal Iasc. In a heartfelt ceremony she thanks the Achatin for their support and sacrifice that they have made throughout the extended war and offer them part of the booty they have taken from the corrupted kaer of the Diabhal Iasc.

Aifon finally defeat the ‘tentacled horror’ of the deep

Aifon offer Achatin their choice of 15g or magical ‘water magic’ globe from booty of defeated Diabhal Iasc.

Scions of Twilight Scouts Report Encounters with Wild Elves

Troll scouts exploring the great island east of their homeland send back messengers telling of encounters with wild elven peoples. These individuals, though only perhaps 3 generations from the beginning of the scourge, have changed dramatically. They are ‘barbaric’ and ‘uncivilized’, living not in cities but in nomadic tribes which follow the caribou and bison. They have no written language and speak a dialect completely different from that spoken by elves and others prior to the Scourge. Though they have obviously lost the advancements, culture and history of their ancestors, they are not obviously hostile and even allow the trolls scouts into their camps to share cups and a campfire with them.

Scions of Twilight make diplomatic contact with ‘White Elves’

Uld’ar Scouts Begin Exploring Northern Isle

Uld’ar scouts begin to explore the island between the mainland and that of the Tabba Ghut and their scouts soon report finding small isolated hill-dwelling dwarves. These dwarves are much less organized or ‘advanced’ then their mainland brethren and make no use of iron or bronze whatsoever. They are shepherds and stone-workers and expert leather-workers. Like the ‘White Elves’ they have no written language or sense of history prior to the scourge but unlike their western neighbors, they speak a very distinct and mutated dialect of Throalic somewhat familiar to the orc scouts.

Upon sighting the orcs, the dwarven stone-cutters ride out to meet them on beasts like some cross between rhino and boar. They are eager to hear of other nations that have survived the scourge though are somewhat wary of ‘orcs’ which they have no communal memory of.

Uld’ar make diplomatic contact with ‘Hill Dwarves’.

Scions of Twlight Hold Tinker’rs Faire

The trolls of the Twilight peaks open a new market with a grand fair to celebrate and to bring new innovation and ideas together. Their ‘Tinker’rs Faire’ is a grand idea and many a troll is eager to show the product of their ingenuity and creativity.

Scions of Twilight purchase of next ‘mill’, ‘lighthouse’, ‘workshop’, ‘blacksmithy’, or ‘foundry’ improvement has cost reduced by 1/3.

Kharkush Acolytes Use Divine Magicks to Locate Wild Herd of Cattle

Calling upon the mercy and blessing of Amakush, the Kharkush are able to divine the location of a wild herd of cattle not far from their tribe. It is located amongst the hills on the peninsula south-east of their capital.

Kharkush locate ‘livestock’ resource

Beloved Kharkush ‘Most Fertile Daughter’ Celebrated by Growing, Balanced Tribe

When the Kharkush city grew too much, its governess order the construction of a granary to feed its people. When corruption grew too great, the governess ordered the construction of a city hall to prevent thievery. When its people sought spiritual guidance, a new temple was built. Generally the people are very happy with their shamanistic leader and in the year 1045 thankful farmers, housewives, tanners, shepherds and ranchers lead a unexpected celebration in thanks for her benevolent leadership.

Most Fertile Daughter gains 1 culture.

Nozkam Legon Villagers Spot, Hear New Gibbering Shadows

Though the gibbering grey shadows and their horrific leadership have long been considered a threat from the past, a new nest seems to have formed somewhere near to the Nozkam. Members of some villages have claimed to hear their strange unique call. Some even swear they have seen the creatures.

Have the Gibbering Shadows returned to the Nozkam Legon?

As of yet no one has been attacked but surely that is only a matter of time?

No effect (yet).

Patrians Arrive at Kraz-ke-Meka Shores

It takes them nearly a decade but Patrian carracks finally sail into sight of the Kraz-Ke-Mekan city. The carracks unload diplomats though they are also obviously also filled with soldiers, including what appears to be a cavalry regiment.

Patrian carracks sail into Kraz harbors

Kraz Make Diplomatic Contact with the Patrians.

NEWS QUICKLY:

_____No News from Araïlumni and Tear Willow Clan_____

_____Juryias of Nozkam Legon takes Command of Nozkam Civil Forces; Enacts Major Military Training Program_____

_____Forest Movement Continues to Grow Amongst Pilsetans_____

_____Blossoms of Mercy Movemenet Continues to Grow Amongst Uld’ar, Begins Making Appearances Amongst Throal and Achatin Villagers_____

_____ Sorgu Soruşturma takes command of Tabba Ghut military; Promises Less Tolerance to Disruptive ‘Weaklings’_____

_____Amongst Scions of Twlight, fearmongering Lo’kyl clan pressure Queen Sjörå to send naval patrol south to intercept any ‘Pinkling Invasion’._____

_____In Achatin, the greatest political and organizational minds cause paradigm shifts that streamline core processes to maximize efficiency in order to encourage Out of the Box thinking from empowered employees. _____

_____Throalic Patrols fail to Encounter any Patrian Scouts or Spies_____

_____Throal undergoes massive infrastructure development_____

_____Uld’ar Enact Mission to Isolate Leper Camps, Provide Assisatance to Blossoms Nursing Them_____

_____Kharkusian Cartographers Improve Trade Infrastructure_____

_____Excellent Engineering Appears Amongst Kraz Mining Works; Secretive Carvings Suggests Loyalty to the Airdriash'Mechzius_____

_____Uld’ar Undergo Religious Revival_____

Orders are due WEDNESDAY, JUNE 10th at 12.01am.

Map, diplo to follow.

Stats by Wednesday at the latest.

Question: How many units of undead horsemen did the allied forces see, and how many were destroyed?

Uhoh, that's not good. I liked driftmere... A party must be held in his honor!

Question: How many units of undead horsemen did the allied forces see, and how many were destroyed?

two units of javelin-cavlary, two units of horse archers, one unit of lancers, one unit of medium cavalry. (plus or minus)

about a third were completely destroyed but most were damaged.

they are way stronger in cavalry then you but less in missile units and infantry.

Top Bottom