ImmacuNES III: Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy

We thank the kharkush for their blunt and honest statement. The Stongest Son is even now remembered as one of the saviors of the Nozkam Legion.

We will remain loyal to the khakush.

You sell your loyalty too quickly brother, remember that Way of Aeron is strength - you were wise to use outer help to boost your strength and through these actions, you spared many of your people. But remember, without your combined force Kharkush (despite how proud they are now) would not have not survived.

Allies in battle are equal - one who has luck of final blow, is no more glorious than the one who weakened enemy, so final blow could be given.

Signed
Sorgu,
Tabba Ghut I Army commander

EDIT: We have no diplomatical relations but there are similarities, unlike Trolls from Scions of Twilight, Tabba Ghut believes in (slightly corrupted version of ...) Aeron. Most of Tabba Ghut Clan is made up of Trolls, 20% or so humans.

I have read the history books to what I believe an adequate level. While we might have assisted and helped, it was the Strongest Son who saved both of us. Is this not true?

Signed
Sorgu,
Emperor of the Nozkam Legion

Frankly I don't think anyone in Uld'ar has even heard of this so-called ''Nozkam Legion''. No offense :p

I have read the history books to what I believe an adequate level. While we might have assisted and helped, it was the Strongest Son who saved both of us. Is this not true?

Signed
Sorgu,
Emperor of the Nozkam Legion

You might want to read the only story written for the Nozkam Legon. It's a bit different, and apparently a dwarf did the kill. Even though he was not the most heroic of them all.

Frankly I don't think anyone in Uld'ar has even heard of this so-called ''Nozkam Legion''. No offense :p

No offense taken. For so long, we have been just another nation trying to survive. I, the Emperor of the Nozkam Legion, intend to change this so that all the world knows the Nozkam Legion.

So this dwarf killed a true Horror. This dwarf has but helped his brother, Silence, like dwarves should to their master, us trolls. This is just another story of how a trollish dwarf assisted his troll master.

Imperial Announcement

May Thunder be payed in gold and riches, and freed for acting in the trollish spirit. May all dwarves of the Nozkam Legion who act in the manner of the Troll and in the spirit of Aeron.

The Kraz-ke-Mekan have no particular opinions on the Nozkam Legion. They have done an admirable job of surviving, but we are saddened by the (albet mild) racism that the troll population feel toward the draf population.
-Grand-Engineer Mechzha dhes-Chreska-Phavia.

Words One

Spoiler :
I was sleeping in my home in Palakkad when the dream took me. I felt the slight, comforting cool of my room fall away, to be replaced by an utter lack of temperature, not cold, but neutral, as if by body had warmed the Incillian Beaver pelt I slept under to it internal temperature. I opened my eyes, and could not comprehend.

I could see everything, flowing together like I had never imagined. In a class by the Pedagogues I had attended, I had learned that scientists believed that everything was made of atoms, and that atoms were made-up of protons, neutrons and electrons. Now, I know they were wrong. Everything was made of gears, unfolding as in the massive clock the Engineers had built last year. I wondered how long I had been here, but part of be knew that I had been here for less than a beat of my heart, for I could be times smallest unit ticking by. Part of me also knew I was not alone.

I turned my gave to see a woman, wearing a long dress, with long, thick curly hair framing vivid blue eyes. She seemed to be approaching without moving, than she spoke.

“It is magnificient, is it not?” she asked.

“What is it?”

“Everything.” She said with a small smile. “Would you like to see more?”

I nodded eagerly, and she laughed, a rich, full laugh.

“Then I would offer you the chance, the chance to see Existence, to shape it, to change history!”

“Ch-change history?” I asked. She Nodded, cautiously. “Then, could I make what’s happing not happen?” asked in a pleading tone.

She smiled, but sadly.

“Time is hard to change, so very, very hard.” She said sadness seeping off her. Seeing my expression, she added, “But I know, given enough time, and effort, it is possible. So, I will give you time to think. Don’t worry, I’ll be back.”

Then I sat up in my bed, everything back to normal. I looked out of my window, were the two moons illuminated the water. I knew it was not a dream, I just had to wait. And I did.

-a True Follower.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The preceding was written on a piece of paper that appeared on the pulpit of the Temple of the Machine in Kraz-Ke-Mekan. The other side of the page had faded text, the only legible part transcribed below. Magic analysis of Preservation Rune on page indicate age of 13,000 years.

Spoiler :
Imperial fleet destroyed attempting to reclaim Hubbard, Symbionts sighted near Arrakis and Errovus Secundus! Experts predict Extinction of Civilization!

Words One

Spoiler :

The preceding was written on a piece of paper that appeared on the pulpit of the Temple of the Machine in Kraz-Ke-Mekan. The other side of the page had faded text, the only legible part transcribed below. Magic analysis of Preservation Rune on page indicate age of 13,000 years.

Spoiler :
Imperial fleet destroyed attempting to reclaim Hubbard, Symbionts sighted near Arrakis and Errovus Secundus! Experts predict Extinction of Civilization!
Spoiler :

applauds :hatsoff:

((I'm not back for good yet, I just wanted to point out that the last list of stories incorrectly listed a story under my name that I have not written. I'll be back like 10 days from now, for good. If you could keep Patria busy until then, I'd be grateful :hatsoff:))

((I'm not back for good yet, I just wanted to point out that the last list of stories incorrectly listed a story under my name that I have not written. I'll be back like 10 days from now, for good. If you could keep Patria busy until then, I'd be grateful :hatsoff:))

Hi, thanks - I sure made some mistakes :p Will add fix in to this quote today.

Any idea when you'll have your new comp, Immy?

Any idea when you'll have your new comp, Immy?

its more an issue of me being at a conference in salt lake city at this point. not much time for this sort of stuff right now- they got us up from 6 to 24. long days... sort of pooped... anyway, hopefully when i get back i will have a computer and can get started again.

Uh'kay. have a good time in Utah.

Spoiler :

Official threat evaluation and analysis report - Tabba Ghut Clan

Time: Year 1173, report written over several months
Written by: Agran Timberwind,
Medium-Low

Report delivering method: Trade ship captain

Objectives (3):
1) Investigation of Tabba Ghut clan culture,
2) Determinating suitability for military invasion and gathering as much information as possible
3) Searching and gathering knowledge about magic, artefacts and ancient ruins

I, Agran Timberwind, rank IV mage, am proud to present my gathered information to you, [censored]. May your leadership last forever!

Quick overview

Nation name:
Tabba Ghut Clan
Population: -censored-
Racial Demographics: 4/5 Troll, 1/5 Human
Towns: 1 - Tabba Ghut Town

Dominant Religions: Cult of Aeron – state religion
Nation military strengths: -censored-
Nation military weaknesses: -censored-

Nation trade resources: Sugar, Alcohol(strong), crafts (amulets, rings, silver objects, statues), metal and metal crafts, sheep-related products.
Nationally demanded resources: Spices, textiles, honey, wine, fruits, wheat/flour
National magical resources:
-censored-

Town of Tabba Ghut
Important positions:
Clan Elder – Mogag the Ironwill
Military leader - Sorgu Soruşturma
Clan advisor – Ukran the Thinker
Clan Head Engineer - Faran Brutenature

Defense rating: -censored-
Supplies rating: Medium-high
Water source: Yes
Main buildings: -censored-, Marketplace, Temple of Aeron, Governmental buildings
Main events: Marathon of the Trolls, Carnival
Misc: City is beautifully designed and is slowly becoming tourists and trader magnet, 'specially during festival periods.

Weather: Winter lasts 6 months, average temperatures are around -15 C. Blizzard and snowstorms may appear unwarned – even locals can't say what's the weather like tomorrow. Spring and autumn both last 2 months and average temperatures are around 15 C. Summer lasts about 2 months and has peak temperatures of 30-35 C. Despite harsh winter and lots of snow, Tabba Ghut isle has rather low rainfall rating during seasons other than winter. Reasoning for this is simple – mountains seem to block rain clouds from crossing over them and reaching Tabba Ghut. Many of the villages and Town survive and prosper only thanks to river supplying them with snow-melting water from mountains. Army that invades Tabba Ghut has to be very well supplied – lack of water during spring, summer and autumn; very hot temperatures during summer and sudden, long lasting, blizzards (during what spit freezes before hitting the ground) during winter could be very damaging, if not fatal to any unprepared army.

My arrival

I arrived to Tabba Ghut town port at the beginning of the year 1172. Port itself is rather small, not like port I've seen in Throal, Patria or my home province – the [censored]. It is obvious that this port was once docking area for fishing boats and as town grew, this fishing area evolved into port. Some serious reconstruction would be necessary to maintain, supply and deal with large amount of trading ships, but current port is large enough to allow several large vessels to dock at the same time - counting out dock designed specifically for Tabba Ghut military fleet. It seems that area connecting port with rest of the town is well built, roads and easy-to-understand signs show way to marketplace, housing and pub areas, warehouses and even to the Temple of Aeron.

My false identity (according to papers) : I am a son of merchant and I used to live in small farming village belonging to Throal. There I studied under firm hand of village doctor to some day become his replacement. I accidentally killed my beloved one and my brother by giving them wrong medicine. In my confused mind I traveled to Throal and bought myself a place on traders ship – reasoning for this was to get as far away as possible from this cursed village. I'm highly interested in all tourist sights, education and stories. My money comes from my heritage – I cashed it out from my father, before leaving Throal.

As new visitor and to keep my identity play as realistic as possible. First I traded my Throalic coins and several gold rings for Tabba Ghut money, called “mynts”. Money exchangers of Tabba Ghut Town do not only trade coins for coins but they also buy amulets, rings and other things that have some value. After having exchanged most of my money, I decided to check out Marketplace. To my surprise, it seems that this marketplace is specifically built to be a marketplace and has not naturally developed - unlike port of this town. Two major, one-way, roads lead from port to marketplace and from marketplace to port. During my arrival, both roads were rather lightly traveled – no surprise as not many traders arrive to this area of world, but I believe this could change in less than 30 years. Just for fun, I decided to walk towards marketplace using “wrong road” - instead of using port-to-marketplace road, I chose marketplace-to-port road. After walking roughly 20 meters, I was approached by a troll. Troll who was wearing brownish-reddish colored robe. I've seen trolls before in my life (during visit of Throal and [censored]) but this troll seemed strong, much stronger than simple work could train one to be. My first thought was, that he is local police or militia member (that thought was actually quite accurate). After he had stopped me with an hand gesture, He smiled, spoke several hello words in different languages, (his accent was rather heavy but I recognized Throal, Patria and Eastern-Elvish greetings). I responded in Throlic, language what he seemed to be best speaking. He (nicely) asked me, if I saw the signs showing way to marketplace and way back from marketplace. I pretended that I did not understood signs as I've never seen something like these signs. Once he heard that, explained several more basic signs to me – they were simple to understand even for a child but this troll seemed to have good patience and self control. As I traveled through town later, I noticed that entire tourist area was filled with easy to understand signs. I had no trouble traveling through town later. To my surprise Tabba Ghut Town had several inns, hostels and pubs – I thought nigh life will be highly interesting compared boring Throal town that had no proper entertainment facilities. As I later found out, I was correct nightlife was interesting indeed. Asking from local bar, rather than from sellers near port(who certainly get some bonus for directing visitors to certain, more expensive, hostels) I was directed to nice and private sleeping house. Prices of that house were more than half cheaper compared to hostels on the main road. Renting large, private room for longer period of time and offering cash upfront lowered price even more.

Overview: The first line of defense – the Followers of Aeron

As I spoke with troll who had approached me, I managed to find out that “the police-troll” is called “Gordar” and is Initiate of Temple of Aeron. That confirmed, that there actually is a temple in this town and it is dedicated to Aeron. It seems Temple of Aeron sends out its members to “walk among brothers” and “bring glory with their actions”. In simple translation it means, that temple sends out its members to do simple “police work” – keep eye on suspicious deals, stop (senseless) violence and hunt for thieves. Explanation to to temple doing this “goodwill” is simple – Aeron followers have to prove their worth to state and in exchange Cult of Aeron gets financial and political aid from the state.

Comment: Over several months, I've seen single, patrolling Aeron cleric brake apart fighting gangs, follow thieves and investigate all suspicious activities. Initiates and higher ranks of Aeron followers move together while patrolling during day and in groups of three or more after nightfall. Every patrolling brother I've seen, has great endurance, stamina, strength and pain tolerance - I've seen one catching a thief, who had head start of roughly 200 meters and was “free running” over market stalls. I've also seen entire brawling group of brawling human-troll mixture being beaten apart by two Aeron followers. To my surprise I later found out that Gordar too, had a mate nearby - but his mate was dressed in usual clothing and without knowing what to look for it'd be hard to nearly impossible to separate these companions from common people. I do not think that most local people even know, that patrolling initiates move in pairs – they think Aeron followers move alone. Only thing that betrays companions is their strong (not “large-muscles-strong” but “stamina, endurance strong”) looks and self confidence. But I've seen these signs being hidden under clothes and creeping in the shadows. Best example being - one of the initiates played beggar, just to catch group of (seemingly harmless) “rebels”. What they did with rebels or how many rebels there are in Tabba Ghut is unknown to me. As is unknown what these “rebels” are fighting against.

Overview Town of Tabba Ghut

Town of Tabba Ghut is found on natural hill, surrounded with Mountains in the North and grassland in the South. Mountains in the North, give Tabba Ghut town interesting climate – there's roughly 2 months of summer (where temperatures peak to even 35 C). Total 4 months are shared between autumn and spring, but these seasons have no major difference - rainfall is low and temperatures are around 15-20C. Leftover 6 months are deep winter, during what it may get so cold, that even spit freezes before hitting ground. Town of Tabba Ghut has rather “rough” architecture, just like most other towns in this land, Tabba Ghut town was founded shortly after exiting kaer, so there's mixture of architectural arts and evolution in this town. One has to spend more than a week to look archidecture and buildings, will see that buildings vary from simple tents to houses built from combination of stone, wood and hay.

Unlike most dwarven and human towns I've been in, these trolls seem to build 25-30% of houses out of mixture of stone (supported on lead carcass) and wood. Benefits of constructing houses out of stone are significant – these houses are more durable, last longer, are easy to keep warm during winters or keep colder temperatures inside during hot summers. Besides all those benefits, stone houses look beautiful and sight of ten of these in a row is well worth ticket to Tabba Ghut. Construction of these houses is rather simple, but I do not think our engineers made houses would last as long as Tabba Ghut builders built houses. Despite of this I will write a description of how these buildings are built, so our engineers would have something to study.

-----------------------
How stone houses are constructed

First a big square pit is dug into the ground, then several small but deep holes are dug into this pit. Then large timber logs are fitted into these small holes, fixed into position with small rocks, dirt, brute force and some sort of white liquid is added on top of that mixture. Once "support beams" as they call it have been fixed and flooring is supported on them. :)A lead carcass is fixed into position around the pit similar way as timber logs were fit into position in pit. After carcass is fixed, rock mass is piled next to carcass both sides and is supported onto the carcass. They say use of carcass material wastes less stones and gets rid of "unholiness" of lead.:)

Weird liquid is poured into empty spaces between rocks, to fill those holes and attach rocks to eachother (so they don't fall off once wall gets bigger) it looks like a white molten mass of butterfat. This mass hardens within few minutes and within few days it's as hard as rock. After hardening it is also waterproof. Every time rock walls on both sides reach empty section of Carcass is, empty inner area is filled with mixture of dirt, grass and fur remains. This filling techincally “joins” two rock walls into one and seals metal carcass air-tightly. It also creates visual look that entire less-than-half-a-meter-wide-wall:)is made out of rock.:)

Construction workers are very careful about lead carcass parts and wash themselves in river, after touching lead parts. It's almost like this metal would contain some great evil or magic. However they say "evil spirits" cannot get out of the metal, if carcass is proper surrounded with rocks and both holes in between rocks and in carcass are filled. This information is valuable, as if this metal contains magic and we manage to harness its use, then this knowledge could very well make our nation strongest nation in the world. Please let our engineers and magicans control magical effects and see if what trolls say is true. It is foolish of them not to research such power and it use, but instead bury it into houses or use as ballast.

Once outer rock wall is completed, Secondary wall is built into house, leaving roughly 0,5-2 cm of air space between rock and wooden wall. Once both rock wall and wood wall are same height second-story floor and roof are supported on them. Roof is usually made out of light lumber, and is covered with mixture of dried hay, but I've seen few attempts to use metal or rock as a roof material. I've also attached a quick plan of houses for our engineers to study and will try to send a samples of "unholy lead".:)

For keeping warm in these, seemingly cold houses, during long winter period, sheep skins or textile carpets are hanged on house walls. Every house I've been in has some form of carpet on the ground (as underground basements are rather cold. But, then again, I've never seen water to freeze in rock-houses basements). Many of these stone houses contain “barn” area – simple corner, separated by wooden wall to put animals in for winter. Having barn inside, is not as stupid and primitive as I first thought – after living two months of winter without having any animals in my houses barn area, I was forced to “rent” few. Surprisingly, animal body heat heats wall I sleep next to quite well and during winter I did not have to worry about cold room. Besides that, heating costs were cut into half (including animal rent and food into heating costs!).

Temple surroundings
Around the temple there are many houses, what seem to be specifically built to house poor or lower class citizens. I've managed to make a quick sketch of these houses. They contain total 5 rooms (two under roof and 3 on the ground level) and are built out of timber logs – they are quite different from stone houses I described earlier and are rather easy to build. These house fit roughly 8 adult trolls or humans + couple of children and are used mainly for sleeping purposes. Hatches on roof allow to ventilate rooms better and houses are built with isolation (what is “poorer” in comparison to isolation of the “rock houses”), but even if it's -30 C outside, there will be roughly 15-20 C inside most of the rooms.

There are also many training areas around the Temple. I've seen minimum one in every area of Tabba Ghut town. These are used mostly by kids during middays and both adults and kids during evenings. Usual training area consist of one “beating pole”, one hanging “ragdoll”, several different sized rocks, 2 shoulder- and back training poles, slingshot target area and two barrels. One of the two barrels contains wooden weapon copies – copies like hand axes, one h-swords etc. There are usually at least 5 small wooden shields in a pile near that barrel. Other barrel contains water for drinking and washing. Children and teens love these areas, as they often stage miniature battles or practice with weapons – “battles” sometimes end with bruises or scratches, but rarely (if ever) can you see a child crying out of pain. There's no difference if it's boys or girls holding battles there and both human and troll children seem to like these playgrounds. Every training area is overseen by a person – usually disabled or retired military person. Their task is to see that no one steals equipment, make sure that there's enough water in barrel, treat any possible wounds and give advice or coaching. It's minimal-wage job but Aeron followers seem to help out with by doing some of the tasks.
Spoiler poor houses :

OOC: yes, I modelled this

Overview: The marketplace

Marketplace itself is rather large – it seems that this are has properly been planned and built. Town architect (Comment: proper title is Head Engineer and name is “Faran Brutenature”) has proven his skill by constructing and planning ahead.

Marketplace is built onto a square – It's same square where Mogag the Ironwill and defeat Ice wyrm. Market square is divided into 5 areas, with 4 areas surrounding central bazaar. This building-style gives marketplace a weird “sun-like” form. Every area deals with different merchandise:

1)Food and animals
Food and animals are located near two main roads (one taking out from the town and one or technically two roads, taking to the port).

Trade articles: Pig and Sheep-products (meat and milk), different wild animal meat (beavers, bears, cariboos), onions, carrots, peas, radishes, beets (including “sugar beets”), sugar, apples and “Clorg”(alcoholic beverage made out of sugar of sugar beet). There were also several fish stalls, but fishing seems not be state-supported, widely accepted, food production form.

Several merchants in food stalls area were focused on providing ships with food – they immediately stormed anyone who looked like a foreign ship-captain or an officer and offered barrels containing dried or smoked meat, -fish and other well-conserved food that could be preserved during long ship trips.

There were also several sugar-related shops in the marketplace, selling glass-candies, wild bee honey (at abnormally huge price!), sugar and different sorts alcoholic beverages, most dominating alcohol is called Grum.

There were not many animal traders around, but I managed to found a billboard of sorts containing, what I assume, is pricelists and contacts name and/or location. I also assume one can find animal owners (should one need to) from textile stalls.

2)Crafts
Crafts stalls area is second closest to the roads coming (and going) to the port.
Due to several mines near Tabba Ghut town, the most expensive crafts are made out of silver and iron. Crafts sold vary from low-value small amulets to highly priced silver-coated statues. Despite I use word “highly priced” price of silver is quite a bit lower than in

Tabba Ghut young men and women are fond of silver amulets that represent an animal tooth. I'll describe in cultural section why later. These silver products can be bought for very cheap prices and sold over 1,5 times cheaper to other nations.

Interesting fact is that, unlike dwarven or patrian ships, ships produced by the Clan use lead bars as ballast (opposed to sand and rock ballast we are so used to with) – this significantly increases ship handling and gets rid of low-value lead bars. There's a lot of lead bar as lead is (often) a by-product of silver production. I highly recommend any trade ship captain who has tight schedule to buy cheap lead bars instead of dirt as ballast. One can sell bars in other port to local smiths to get some money back or even earn small profit!

3)Textile, wool and clothing products
Wool and Textiles industry is quite underdeveloped and deals mostly with products made out of cheap wool. As proper ball of wool is quite expansive and difficult to export, most sellers seem to be focused around selling sheep fleece (skin with wool still being on it).

There are also quite good and cheap selection of leather clothes, bags, drinking mugs and similar “leather crafts”.
Popular demand is for textile products, specifically pants, robes with cloaks and similar simple to produce goods. Selling these textile products to Tabba Ghut and buying cheap leather products (including very cheap fleeces) could earn quite a revenue to merchants.

4)Industrial products
Are located quite far away from the port and selection is average – Dwaven nations selections are better. Yet prices are same as dwarven nation prices. Basic merchandise are lead nails (for ships, and stuff not meant for food or animals), lead bars, iron nails, most farming tools and other essential tools. It seems pickaxes and spades are popular merchandise.

5)Central square of marketplace contains Bazaar of sorts. This bazaar can work all-year around, despite of weather outside and it is rather large. Bazaar sells many things and tourist or visitor can be sure to find something for anyone – from simple snacks to statues to (rumored) even wives.

Comment: During time I spent here I have not witnessed slave trading. I've seen people similar to slaves in their behaviour, but they were not tied up or watched over… weird... Edit: Explained in detail under „Culture analysis“ section.

Conclusion:

Marketplace of Tabba Ghut is well built and planned and suitable for future expansion. A sailor crew coming from the port, will first buy some food followed by small crafts/amulets/rings and then go on a sightseeing tour for bizarre things in Central bazaar. Marketplace works well for locals too, local farmer can easily take his goods to the market, buy necessary tools and equipment and leave within short time. One not native to Tabba Ghut, who goes to the market of Tabba Ghut has to have very strong will or be completely broke to leave without buying anything.

Merchandise analysis

Cheap: Sugar, strong alcohol, candy, peas, beans (and related products), milk products (cheese), silver and iron crafts, amulets, rings, statues, wool products, ship-related tools (nails, bars etc) and dried meat.

Average priced: leather products, tools, farming and mining equipment, fish, thread made out of sheep wool, salt, carpets and rugs (popular for warming houses)

Highly priced: Textile clothing (pants, shirts, robes, shoes, capes etc.), honey, spices, wine, wheat and flour

Overview: Governmental buildings

I have not yet managed to gain access governmental buildings – special permission is required to access governmental building, getting one these permission is hard. As one requirement is being clan member. However my observations of city hall and its employees show rather large amount of employees, who are not local aristocrats (fools are hiring commoners to do work of the nobles!). Some of these employees seem to work directly for their king(Called: Mogag the Ironwill, Official position: Clan Elder). There are several troll and human employees working at organizing public events- Largest of these events would be “The Marathon” what takes place over several months, it is followed by “The Carnival”. I'll describe these events later in Culture analysis section.

Overview: Temple of Aeron

Temple of Aeron is a rather large building, located south side of the town. It's architecture has recently been improved and a mix of stone architecture has been added. There are 8 wooden pillars on every side, supporting temple roof - It is shaped like a tetrahedron with its top part cut off. Roof and pillars supporting roof are made out of large logs, I'm guessing from oak. Temple inside is made out of wood but recently, outside has gotten more “rocky” look. Inside rock outer wall, there are silvery-veins running side-by-side with that “white butter-like liquid”. Mix of stone and wooden architecture, veins that reflect light running inside walls, together with robust-looking building make temple great tourist sight. I myself walked around temple for several hours. Aeron followers also offered me free drink (water) and chance to learn self-defense, I refused the latter offer – you know why.

I'll provide you with temple plans and architectural look upon my return.

City defences

- The Pallisade
Palisade is made out of wood. It's quite old and several parts have been recently replaced. However town growth has filled inner palisade area and newest town parts are built outside of the defensive walls. If town continues to grow, this palisade needs to be re-constucted or replace with new one.

Palisade is made out of 3,5 meter tall wooden logs, they're pressed roughly 0,5 meters under ground. How are these logs buried so they do not rot or how well is this palisade tied together is beyond my knowledge. On the inner side of the palisade, there's walking area, that 2 men(or trolls) can walk side by side without fear of “falling down”. After every 35-40 meters, larger tower-like area what is suitable for an example balistae or catapult position. Outside of the palisade has trench what is filled with wooden spikes – placed enough tightly to force enemies come one by one instead of a group.

Every area between so called “towers” is patrolled by 3 soldiers, 1 marching back and fourth while one stays in every tower area. This is suitable investment to provide some early warning before an invasion – but is also a weak spot in Tabba Ghut defence. Eliminating guards and then sneaking with an army is possible. I should add a warning, as I'm fairly certain that Aeron followers are keeping their eyes on palisade - to catch any smugglers or unloyal watchmen. So one should still be very careful after wiping out sentinels.

In conclusion, palisade offers some defense and certainly slows down any invasion force, who does not have proper siege equipment, plans and strategy. This palisade won't hold back proper siege weapons, but will give enough time for armies to organize themselves and gap-defense technic could repel invaders from several days to several months. One should be careful about Aeron followers, the fact that they are so organized and willful should not be overview in case of possible siege.

Military competence analysis

censored -

censored -

One important factor what our military leader should not underestimate are Aeron Followers, their strength and pain tolerance is unimaginable . As doctor I was forced (by laws of Tabba Ghut and to maintain my cover) to treat wounded Aeron follower. He had fought with 5 human thugs, who were armed with wooden mace-like weapons. This follower had broken both of his legs, his left hand in several places (it seems he used left hand as shield while fighting with right hand). In his back and on his side were several knife-inflicted wounds, quite deep and several cuts. Despite of pain, wounds and blood loss he had still beaten these 5 thugs, breaking many of their bones in the progress and 3 of them were still alive after battle. My experience as medic, makes me believe that only few “normal” soldiers could have done this and soldier with same wounds would have taken minimal 4 months to recover. I witnessed same Follower training on a training ground after roughly 2 months of his wounding and I could not believe my eyes. [Censored]

Spoiler part two :

Cultural analysis

Population analysis

75% Troll
20% Human
5% others

It seems most of the native human population has come from slaves, specifically slaves who were bought pre-scourge for their skills in magical arts. Magical arts of sun and fire mana helped Tabba Ghut clan to survive during “horror breach” period of their kaer.

There are no large-scale religious or racial conflicts in Tabba Ghut society and both human and troll races are equal members of The Clan. Only disagreements I've noticed is the fact that trolls prefer to do one kind of work for long time, while humans prefer to change work they do more often. If troll would cultivate entire field and then plant plants, human would prefer to do cultivate small part of field, plant those parts and cultivate again.

Human and troll kids get along very well, sharing common traits that all kids do. Exception would be war games - human kids prefer to us a shield while trolls often do not use shields – natural strength makes trolls stronger and human kid is poor opponent in equal equipment. Human limits of natural strength is also disliked among older trolls. In argues human opponent is often referred to as “weaklings”. However this weakness is well compensated with human smarts. Human skill and knack at bookkeeping and trading keep humans in equal position to trolls.

Recent trade and tourist hordes have increased human population growth rates and in 15 years, I expect human race make up minimal 30% Tabba Ghut population. (10% increase)

Tabba Ghut clan has survived thanks to clanial structure since before the scourge. To be citizens and to be allowed to own land, one has to join The Clan. There are many different ways to join:

1)By special permission of local government
2)By becoming a student of local master (has to fill a form and finish studies)
3)By marring with Tabba Ghut citizen or villager (has to fill a form and prove loyalty for 4 years AND both parents and state have to agree with marriage)
4)By having superior skills – trained experts (for an example blacksmith) have half a year “test period”, if they show themselves as honest and proper workers they are accepted into clan
5)If person does not have any special skills, one may become 'a thrall'. A thrall is unskilled workforce bound to clan and who may not leave from his “homeplace” without overseer premission. Thralls have right to own property, but not land. They have right to work as anyone and to marry with local citizens. After certain amount of time (for non ex-slave thrall 4 years, for ex-slave thrall 12 years) they are accepted as full members of the clan

Rights of clan members:
Clan protects its members, both inside and outside borders
Clan members have right to ask for state financial support in case of famine or loss of related/loved one.
Clan members taxes are 3/5 of what thralls and others pay.
Clan members have right for fair trial.
Clan members children are freed of taxes (until they become adults).
Children may ask for education from any master for free and master may not refuse if he has no students.
Clan doctors have to cure clan members for free.
And many more.

Clan has “caste system” but one may rise from lowest caste to highest caste within ones lifetime.

Military slave → slave → thrall → citizen or villager → specialist → master → elder → clan elder

Yes, first caste is “military slave” and yes clan has long slave keeping traditions. However meaning of word “slave” is very different from what it means in “Patria” or “Throal”. Tabba Ghut clan views slaves as victims of life. Victims who require clan food and protection. They consider every slave to have “a dept”. This dept is “value” gained by buying slave or capturing-transporting costs. Those costs are multiplied by (depending of the slave) a number ranging from 1,25 to 3,5. Slave has to work to gain back his or her “value” to the owner. Slave “wage” is calculated same way as is calculated pay for citizen doing same work. In theory a slave can earn enough money to buy himself free within less than 2 years. In reality, it tends to take 5 to 10 years. Every slave has right for sleeping place, food and 12 hours of free time (this includes resting time). This time slave may spend as he wishes.

Some slave owners do not lock their slaves up, some do – but if slave demands right to study (borrow books or work) his owner must be able to provide that.

After slave has earned back his value, slave earns the rank of a “thrall”. Ex-slave Thralls are forced to work and live with the Clan for 12 years. Thralls may not leave the clan but they may own house or any other property and they may marry.

Criminals who are constantly committing minor crimes or people who do major crime(s) are reduced to slave rank.

Tabba Ghut clan says that only work can teach one to to control rage, have strong body and teach to live without crime. This might be true and slaves are motivated to work with chance to gain themselves freedom. By the time slave gets free of Thrall rank, one is usually married, used to with clan way of life and won't leave the clan for their old homeland. From those who leave, many will return as they are not used to with life “outside”. This is why Tabba Ghut Clan ex-slaves become clan members not simply left-

Slaves are gained different ways, some are bough, some are enslaved via military, some are criminals. Military slaves are kept in their rank until 2 years after war end. After that, if their founding country does not pay for them, military slaves become usual slaves and are sold in market for some profit.

As Tabba Ghut clan is on separate isle, slave revolts or escapes are rare. All revolts before entering kaer and revolt that happened in kaer were brutally crushed.

Juridical system

I do not have much information, following describes standing of power
Clan Elder ← Clan council ← Clan court ← Village or town elders

Every act done is valued in money and is multiplied by 1,5. Out of that, 30% belongs to the state and rest to the victim.
For an example:
Thief broke a clay pot with value of 2 mynts
Value is multiplied by 1,5
2 * 1,5= 3
30 % of 3 is 0,9, so 9 half-mynts belong to the state and 2 mynts and 1 half mynt are paid to the merchant as compensation.

Interesting difference compared to our laws is that murder is actually legalized in Tabba Ghut. It's whole bunch of juridical mess, but as far as I understood, One may request murder premission. One must then pay rather large sum to the state to gain “licence”. Licence target must also be warned before licence is issued. Licence lasts for 5 years. Counter killing licence owner, when he attacks licence target is allowed only for self defence (one may not kill licence owner when he is not attempting to kill licence target). There is also rumoured that there exists a “guild” what deals with these sorts of murders but that could simply be a rumor. If licence owner kills licence target, it is not considered to be a crime.

Religion analysis

State religion follows Aeron. However unlike normal cult of Aeron Tabba Ghut religion and culture have mixed together. Cults of Aeron normally emphasize strength of the individual, hate, rage and murder. Aeron cult of Tabba Ghut emphasizes strength of body, strength of clan, endurance, controlled rage, controlled hate and pain tolerance. They also respect hard work as it trains both mind and body. Cult also seem to follow some sort of “honour”-system. Aeron followers say that person who is strong, trained, who obeys clan and controls his emotions, has no reason to be afraid of anything. !Constantly! telling lies shows only ones weakness. Cult members seem to focus around personal strengths, pain tolerance and emotion control. Aeron cultists also say, that Emotions that are unleashed during battle, can bring certain victory – if one does not lose control. Rumour is that Areon cultists training and pain tolerance allow Aeron Followers to be truly terrifying soldiers, who continue fighting even if one hand or leg has been cut off.

Agricultural analysis

Tabba Ghut agricultural policy seems to be focused around growing cold-withstanding plants. While local dishes are focused around preservation and simplicity - mostly stews, soups or salads. There's also local dish of porridge. As there's no grain or wheat industry, porridge is made out of milled peas. Most of the meals contain a lot of garlic, onion and/or spinach. This plant-diet does not fill stomach very well, but it is to be said keeping eaters “healthy”. I assume that this is true as is true the fact this plant-diet provides almost as much energy as foods I am used to with.

Every morning and evening meal also contains some form of meat or dairy(milk) products. As both sheep (for milk) and pigs are present on the isle of Tabba Ghut and both can stand cold winter of Tabba Ghut they are rather important source of meat.

Every midday meal contains some sugar-related products, usually few crystal-candies. While every evening meal also contains a mug full of Grum – local, strong alcohol. Trolls withstand alcohol quite well and believe that drinking too much is considered a weakness.

Sugar is cheap and found in abundance. Reason to that is fact that Tabba Ghut sugar is not made out of “sugar cane” but rather “sugar beet”. Sugar beet is cheap, easy (and suitable) to grow in Tabba Ghut climate. It is very simple (but rather time-consuming task) to convert sugar-beet into sugar and then into alcohol. Despite the fact sugar cane sugar beats sugar beet sugar taste, looks and mass production possibilities - Cheapness, quality and quantity of the “beet sugar” make it one of the Tabba Ghut clan main export articles. Almost every house, that has farming plot, grows sugar beet. This is thanks to state-support - there is always a buyer for sugar beets, as state itself buys sugar beet and produces Alcohol tonic out of it.

Sugar production
Sugar beet is cleaned and cut into many small pieces. Pieces are placed onto a large pan (5x5 meters) and are boiled in water for 8 hours. During boiling time, sugar beet pieces are pressed for several minutes at a time. Once 8 hours pass, leftover sugar beet mass is separated from sugary-water. Sugary water will stay for a day and'll produce crystallized sugar and syrup. Syrup is then poured into large barrels and is flavored with some sort of herbal powder. Crystallized sugar is turned into either small chunks for candy or milled to make sugar powder. Sometimes some powder or spices are added during boiling period. With herbal powder adding, Tabba Ghut sugar makers try to cover up sugar beet taste in sugar - “cane” sugar tastes better, but is more expensive and there are no mass producers in this world. However many of these treatments are small scale – it seems sugar producers are still learning the skill of producing sugar.

Leftover “bulps” of beet are taken into state buildings complex, where these leftovers are turned into strong alcohol tonic. Tonic is later sold for cheap price to local bartenders or made in Grum (local alcoholic drink) and sold to the merchants. How the process of turning beet leftovers into alcohol is done, is beyond my knowledge. But alcohol tonic that comes out is rather strong and needs to mixed with juices or water and spices to make it drink-able. Tonic is pure and strong enough to use medicine to treat cuts and other wounds.

Most of the food plants grown can be “conserved” to last from several months to several years. How long they last depends of conserving method – “conserving method” most often means simply keeping vegetables in a box or a container in dark basement. Almost every hut I've been in has one cellar or basement constructed partially underneath it.

In conclusion Tabba Ghut clan focuses on cold-standing and food products with long storage life. Most of the plants they eat are stored “raw” (kept in boxes in basement). Natural dishes contain mostly plants with some form of meat in it. Sugar-related products are very cheap and workers often eat a crystal-candy or two during long working days. As sugar is cheap and alcohol is produced by state, so are alcoholic drinks prices low. Every bartender has own recipes of mixing drinks and covering up sugar-beet taste but most famous and best tasting drink is Grum.

Trolls, thanks to their large body mass, have natural resistance to alcohol - meaning traditional one mug per day won't give them much of a headache (unfortunately dwarves are not build this way - strong headache 2 bottles of Grom gave to me is enough proof ). Alcohol overconsumption is considered weakness among Aeron Followers.

Natural resources analysis

Tabba Ghut Town, just like pervious towns I've been in, relies on surrounding areas to produce resources and town functions as resource converter. Surrounding areas contain several mines what produce mainly iron. There's one mine that produces silver and lead, but lead is treated very carefully and often simply thrown as far away as possible.

For some bizarre reason lead bars are not used entire house construction, exception being inner supports of the houses that have rock outer walls. But even then, lead carcass is completely surrounded by rocks and white liquid so lead would have no access to air. I'll again highly recommend geologists and magicans to check lead for magical effects – trolls know lot about mining.

Traditions analysis

Life in kaer has not diminished value of animal-associated artifacts – trinkets that are associated with strength, bravery or fertility are in great value. There is ancient tradition to let every young man to kill an animal and take killed animal tooth and carry it as an amulet. This tradition has transformed in trollish society - Nowadays every young man is expected of buying himself (pure silver) animal tooth amulet (representing strength and courage) and every girl to buy herself a amulet of rabbit paw (representing fertility and agility). Earning enough money for these purches is not simple task, as amulets are not cheap and are made specifically on order. Once young man or women has found someone to marry with, they exchange amulets. One can recognize married trolls/humans by taking look at amulet they wear.

Cultural events

There are several large and many small-cale festivals in Tabba Ghut, largest of these festivals is

The Marathon

Celebrating the bodies blessed of Aeron, the trolls of the Tabba Ghut clan organize a giant well-funded festival centered around a series of games that test strength, accuracy, endurance and fighting. Every year festival focuses different profession: be it soldier skills, builder skills, organising skills, seaman skills or other test. Roughly 40% of festival events is changing every year to tests what best glorify the chosen profession. This even traditionally also glorifies building and craftsmanship by holding competitions to build small, but decorated homes for use by poorer trolls.
Traditional feats are feats of strength that involve carrying and throwing rocks. The feats of accuracy center around crossbow firing, javelin throwing and slinging. The endurance feats celebrate long distance running, swimming and rowing. The fighting feats centre around wrestling, swords, and spear use.

Every year state opens its granaries for people, offering free (or cheap) drinks, food and good prices for winners. Everyone may participate in any event – there is no limitation and you never know who is the best. Winners are offered job contracts from the state or place in the military service.

Small merchants, farmers and even foreign merchants sell their crafts during these events and there's several events to see every day during entire month. This marathon, thanks to its free food, long celebration period, relatively cheap or non-existent prices and many events is tourist attraction number one Tabba Ghut town.

The Carnival

The Carnival, focuses more on the fun side of life. Carnival is week long event, taking place just before first cold (and prior to harvest period). This event contains evening Mask balls, free (or with small ticket cost) theatre events, amusement shows, jesters, magical tricks being done by outside artists and certainly parties uptil the midnight, then “afterparties” take place around great fires lit specifically for young couples to enjoy themselves. During this festival, Aeron followers show their strength, pain tolerance and feeling control in different shows and tell stories about traits and way of Aeron.

Village celebrations
Every time one of the village of eight Tabba Ghut villages gets a year older, a celebration is held there, fireplace, free food, cheap drinks, guides and tours around the village itself or in mines attract usually few tourists.

In conclusion,
If a youth or an expert wishes to prove themselves and see amazing things being done, he should participate The Marathon. Should anyone wish guilt-free fun The Carnival is place for them and for those who are interested in history and more smaller-scale parties, village celebrations are taking place almost every month.

Magic analysis

Clan of Tabba Ghut has been rumored to posses several magical items – most well known of them is Wing of the Ice-wyrm that Mogag the Ironwill, their leader carries with him to important events. There's a story, what describes how Tabba Ghut clanmen managed to trap wyrm into burning debris of palisade tower. As debris was mostly dry wood, they torched it – it seems ice wyrm weakness is fire. Despite being hit by large tower, burned and stabbed for quite long time wyrm managed to escape – losing one of his wings and killing many of Tabba Ghut soldiers in the process.

Other artifact I managed to get info about is called [censored]

There are also [censored]

*This last report was last of information that we get from our spy. Three days after we got last message, a box containing Timberwind head was delivered to our Foreign Affairs Office via trade ship commander. There was also a note: "He lasted 6 days, before dying. -Aeronites"

We have no idea or way to verify how accurate these reports are.

Awesome analysis of the Tabba Ghut- obviously a lot of work and research went into this.
I really appreciate your efforts Northen Wolf.

I have returned from salt lake city. My new computer has arrived. I need to move some files and find a way to get photoshop on my new computer for free then i will start working on updating the maps.

Regardless, orders are now due on Friday the Sixth of August at 12 midnight.

I thank you all for your patience.

Top Bottom