99% Lightspeed
Imperium Offtopicum V

"Because historical accuracy be damned"

Executive GM: Joecoolyo
Police: civplayah
Cartographer: CivGeneral
Economy and Research: Taillesskangaru
War and Combat: Owen Glyndwr

The year is 1453. New inventions, new ideas, new conceptions about the world are gradually, but surely, transforming societies, and all over the world small states and tribes of the Medieval era are consolidating themselves into new empires. They are strong, they are ambitious, and they are determined march to glory and greatness, letting nothing stands in their way, only stopping for kittens.

Welcome to Imperium Offtopicum V! The game where you can create and control your own empire! And along the way create and economy, conduct diplomacy with other nations (all of which are other humans from around the world, no A.I. here), and declare war if you're really in the mood. Players can join at anytime and contribute to the ever evolving world that is Imperium Offtopicum.

Rules of the Game

Housekeeping
Spoiler :
First, some essential IOT Etiquettes. We all seem to be civilized people, so let’s act it.

1. Do not flame, troll, or personally insult any other player OOC or IC. At all. You may comment on certain things negatively, but don't take it further than that.
2. Stay on topic. Make sure all comments are relevant to the fictional world of the current IOT and have nothing to do with your personal religious/political beliefs or real life politics. (spammers will be reported)
3. No powergaming. By definition, powergaming is making your country surpass every other country by all terms including armed forces, technology, etc.
4. Keep your actions realistic, and don't declare war on someone for a personal reason.
5. Above all else, RESPECT THY FELLOW FORUMERS.

Anti-Spam Measures:

Theoretically, there are no limits on the number of posts you can post each turn. However, IOT does get brought down by too much unnecessary content. Think quality of posts, not quantity: you're not getting Post Count, so there's no need to spam.

Your posts must follow the Etiquette and actually consist of something RELEVANT to your nation and not just one-liner comments, OT content, or spam. When replying, do not quote the entire post; only quote the relevant parts. It keeps the forum more readable. Also, don't respond to each relevant post individually; use multi-quote to avoid posting like 10 times in a row.

If you are acting inappropriately, you’ll get two warnings from the GMs. On your third infraction, we phone the actual mods. And ban you.

Your GMs:

IOT is a monster even when kept in check. To ensure smooth operations and sanity for all, IOT V is run by a cabinet of GMs with different responsibilities.

- Executive GM Joecoolyo is responsible for diplomacy and also takes all the reports from each of the GMs and write updates and write summaries. He also has the power to give out warnings and bans to people who break the rules posted above.
- Police Officer civplayah will help Joecoolyo patrol the premises and hand out warnings and bans if necessary.
- Cartographer CivGeneral keeps track of all the claims and territorial changes in game.
- Taillesskangaru heads the economy and research (E&R) departments.
- Cull leads the War and Combat department. He calculates battles.

Cartographer: CivGeneral
Economy and Research: Taillesskangaru
War and Combat: Cull

As the game progressed, you may suggest and/or volunteer for a GM position, or we GMs may ask for volunteers to fill in a certain role.

Starting Out

Spoiler :

To start the game, claim ten territories. One of these will be your capital. Your starting territories must be connected in some way, either by land or by viable sea routes. Note that in 1453 no one has the technology to cross oceans except for Zheng He and he’s not playing.

IOT is a turn-based game. Initially, a turn will translate to 4 years in real time. As the game progress, this may change. Update occurs roughly every 48 hours.

I don’t care if your country is inhabited by radioactive sultanas. In other words, feel free to inhabit your nation with whoever or whatever you want, provided it fits with the setting (any leader who tries to form the Soviet Union before Communism is invented will be regarded as a witch and appropriate measures will be taken.)

Players Joining Later

You will still have to abide by the rules above, but since you come later (i.e. after the first update) then you will be given the "average" tech level for the time.

Note- If you join later, you only get the 10 starting claims stated above, and not the additional 6 everyone else gets. You also can't spend your income on the turn you join, as technically, you haven't made it yet.

Expansion

Spoiler :
Each turn, you can claim an additional six territories – they too must be connected in some way. If you must cross oceans from your capital to claim a territory, that territory is worth double the cost of a normal territory, ie two points.

Attacking also costs expansion point. The cost for attacking a territory (anywhere on the map you can reach) is a flat fee of one XP point, meaning you can only attack a maximum of six territories a turn.

You can claim a territory already occupied by another country. This costs the full six XP points and grant both countries a Casus Belli (see below) against each other.

Economy

Spoiler :
For every territory you seize liberate, you get income: 1 gold per turn.

Controlling territory is the main way you earn income. However, income can also be increased by technology - each civilian tech level increases base income by 1.

So, say I control 20 territories with a civilian tech level of 10, my base income is 20+10 = 30.

Not that you’d want to, but income can be reduced if you make yourself hated in the world enough. Each nation that embargoes you decreases your income by 1%, and declaring war without a casus belli gets you 50% reduced income for the duration that you’re at war.

Let's say I declare war on my neighbour just for lulz, and then they plus 3 of their friends embargo my nation. My income from the base 30 would be reduced to 30*0.5*0.99^4 = 14.4. Now, I will round it to the nearest number, so I'd get 14 gold income. If I make peace and everyone stopped embargoing me, I'd lose those modifiers.

Income is generated at the beginning of each turn for each player and can be spent on your army, navy, or technology. You’ll lose it if you haven’t spend them by the end of the turn.

Technology

Spoiler :
For the purpose of this game, all nations start on equal technological footing. That is, tech level one.

There are two areas of research: Military (army and navy related stuff) and Civilian (everything else). Each next level costs x25 times the level you are at (so if you’re at level 4 the next tech will cost 4x25 = 100 gold). You can research more than 1 level of tech per turn if you’re up to it. Tech investment is cumulative, and the amount you already invested will be shown like this: invested/total cost (300/400)

Each level in civilian tech increases your base income by one, and each level in military tech increases the base strength of your navy and army by one.

Additionally, the first one who reaches a level will decide exactly what this new technology/invention/idea is. You can go wild with this, since it won't really effect the game, although note that if you choose a tech >100 years before their actual historical date you will be penalized in weird and interesting ways.

Would be colonists take note: military level 5 activates ocean travel. Until then, you cannot claim land on the other side of an ocean, and navies cannot be based in or traverse oceans.

Diplomacy
"A prince never lacks legitimate reasons to break his promise." - Niccolo Machiavelli
Spoiler :
Diplomacy can be conducted in the open in the thread or in private by VM, PM or social groups.

Most diplomatic actions don’t effect the game and are really just for RP but the following do. You are limited to signing one of these per turn, and they have to be publicly stated in the game thread:
- Defensive Pact
- Guarantee of Independence
- Joining Alliance
- Declaration of War

There are also embargoes, which as previously described reduce the target's income by 1%. These must be publicly posted in the game thread and you can sign one embargo per turn. This will also grant the target a casus belli (see below) against you.

These treaties can be cancelled at any time.

War
"Before all else, be armed." - Niccolo Machiavelli
Spoiler :
Casus Belli

To go to war without your population going OMGWTFBBQ, you need a good excuse. That is, a Casus Belli.

You get a casus belli if another nation has:
- a border dispute with you (the two nations must claim the same piece of territory, see Expansion, above)
- declared war on your allies
- embargo you
- blockade you
- deny you access to a sea or ocean tile.
- a large difference in religion or form of government. This is a special CB in that you have to ask the GM to grant it to you.

If you attack without a casus belli, you suffer a -50% income loss for every turn you’re at war.

Units

Your main units are armies and fleets. These are physical entities on the map.
- Armies will be represented by a golden dot.
- Navies will be represented by a dot in the sea which the same color as their nationality.

Each one costs x20 times the number which you already own (so if you own 6 armies the next one costs 6*20 = 120 gold – the first army and fleet you build is free). Additionally, each army and each fleet also costs 2 gold/turn of upkeep. This will be subtracted from your income at the beginning of each turn. If upkeep > income, then the economy GM will helpfully randomly disband your armies and fleets until your income is back in the positive.

When you recruit an army or fleet, you choose where they start. Every turn, you may reposition all your units.
- Armies may move through up to 10 land territories in friendly territory (all sea crossings together costs a flat fee of 1 movement point, ocean crossings cost 2 points - it doesn't matter how many seas or oceans you travel through), and only one army may exist in a province
- Fleets may be reposition anywhere you have ports or can access allied ports, and the number of fleets in a sea/ocean tile is unlimited.

The strength of your unit is equal to your military tech level. At level 5, the strength of each of your armies and navies is five, at level 8, it’s eight, and so on.

Land Battles

An attack will cost a flat fee of one expansion point. Any army may be used to attack a province as long as they can reach that province by land or sea. An attack count as a move by an army.

You may have several armies attacking a single province from many directions, but only one may occupy the territory afterwards.

The defenders has a number of advantages.
- First, a province, when attacked, is considered its own army (that is, it has a fort, with the strength of one army), which the attacker must overcome.
- Secondly, any armies bordering the province being attacked, if not being attacked themselves, will also contribute to the total number of defending armies in the battle.

In battle:
- the total strength of all units on both sides are added up.
- An Random Number Generator (like this one) will generate a number between 0 and 50. This will add anywhere between 0-50% to the strength.
- The side with the highest RNG-modified strength wins.
- The losing side loses any armies they have in or attacking that province (for defenders, armies in adjacent provinces will survive).
- If both sides end up with the same strength, the RNG is run again until one sides emerges victorious.

Navies

An army may move across seas and oceans to attack a province. While at sea/oceans, armies will be treated as unarmed transports. If the route to the target is blocked by enemy fleets, they can simply sink your transports and you'll lose the army.

A naval battle ensues if two opposing naval forces are moved into the same ocean/sea tile. Naval battles are calculated the same way as land battles.

Leaving the Game
"If everything else fails, retreat" - Thirty-Six Strategem
Spoiler :
Upon resigning from the game, you can distribute your territories to other players or just flat out make them unclaimed.

If you are just going to be taking a holiday, give us your orders, or ask someone else to do them for you. To avoid migraines, we cannot calculate it all, and will only go on what you give us. Otherwise, your country will be treated as an NPC until you return.

If you are not active for 5 days, or don't have anybody to give your orders, we will PM you that you need to post something - or tell someone else to - to stay in the game. If you don't respond, we will PM you again after 24 hours or so have passed, asking how you want your lands distributed, as you have become inactive and thus cannot continue to play. If we don't receive a reply within 24 hours, we will distribute your lands in a manner as fair as possible.

Sample Stats:

Civfanatica - Thunderfall - Maroon
Capital: Thunderfall
Government: Totalitarian Civvist Theocracy
Income: 22 gold per turn*
Civilian Tech: 30 (next lvl 740/750)
Military Tech: 20 (next lvl 400/500)
Total armies, navies: 2, 2 **

(*No of territories 30, civilian tech 30, base is 30+30 = 60, -50% for war w/o CB, -8 for unit upkeep. The Economy GM will keep all this in Excel and will make them available for view on request.)
(** Each has a strength of 20 due to tech. The next navy/army will cost 2*20 = 40 gold).

The Map

Spoiler :

Created by the wonderfully talented taillesskangaru, and brought to you by CivG.

The Nations of the World​

The Papal States - Lightish Red

Empire of Mali - Olive

The Green Empire - Light Green

Iroquois
- Sienna

Mall of America
- Bleu

The Shogunate Empire of Japan
- Orange

The Kingdom of Spain - Yellow

Byzantine Republic
- Purple

Rus' Principality - Sky Bluish

Duchy of Burgundy
- Lincoln green

The English Confederation
- Orange

The Great Empire of the Nile - Purple

The Monarchy of Germany
- Dark Green

Kingdom of Occitania - Mint

Island of Morea
- Teal

Kingdom of Ireland - Dark Green

Mughal Empire
- Maroon

The Empire of China
- Yellow

Great Sioux Empire
- Brown

Kingdom of Sweden
- Blue

Safavid Persia - Orangish

The Xi'an Empire
- Crimson

The Tribal Kingdom of South Africa - Hot Pink

Sultanate of Aceh
- Blood red

East Russian Empire
- Brown

Ethiopian Empire - Sky Blue

Current Diplomacy

Duchy of Burgundy - Defensive Pact - English Confederation
Mali - Defensive Pact - The Great Empire of the Nile
The Xi'an Empire - Alliance - The Empire of China
Empire of the Nile - Defensive Pact - South Africa
Burgundy - Alliance - Papal States
Morea - Defensive Pact - Eastern Russia
Japan - Alliance - China

Updates​

1, 2, 3

Papal States

Spoiler for Flag :

Capital: Rome
Language: Latin
Current Pope: Election of Council of Cardirnals
Former Popes: Saint Gregory III(Ruled 1453-57), Saint Innocent XI(Ruled 1457-51)
Government: Papal Feudal Theocracy
Style: For Our Father.
Military: Army and Navy to be made when in war
Color: Lightish Red
Treaties: Christian Faithful Alliance, Alliance with Burgundy

Starting Claim:
Spoiler :

Empire of Mali

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~​

Capital: Timbuktu
Leader: Oliver, the Sultan of Mali. It should be noted that Oliver is a giraffe who's decisions are interpreted by the wise men.
Government: Theocratic Fuedalism
Military: Standing army
Color: Olive
Style: Hell-bent of the domination of the Niger river and West Africa.
Religion: Muslim is the state religion and most of our people are Muslim. We allow people of different faiths to inhabite our grand sultanate, but we certainly don't encourage that behavior.

Claims -

Empire of Mali.png

Income: 17 gold/turn
Current number of territories: 16
Civilian tech: 1 (11/25)
Military Tech 1 (0/25)
Army, Navy: 0,0

We are a proud member of the Muslim Alliance. :D

THE GREEN EMPIRE

Capital: Rio de Janeiro
Language: Portuguese
Current Emperor: Dom Pedro I.
Government: Absolute Monarchy
Style: For the Environment, Football (Soccer to you Yankees), and massive amounts of Buereaucracy.
Military: Standing Army and Navy, Navy is better than the Army.
Treaties: N/A
Flag: Imagine a Yellow diamond with a green backround, and the Portuguese Coat of Arms in the middle.
Colour: Light Green.
Claims:

Spoiler :
zzzfjfjhj.png

Income: 10gold/turn
Civilian tech: 1
Military Tech 1
Army, Navy: 1, 1

Iroquois - civplayah - Sienna
Capital: Mohawk (yes, I know, it's not a city :p)
Government: Federation
Style: Peace and prosperity
Military: Some very brave braves.

Income: 10 gold/turn
Civilian tech: 1
Military Tech 1
Army, Navy: 1, 1

IOT 5.png

Mall of America
Color: Bleu
Capital: Nickelodeon Universe, the Theme Park at the center of the mall.
Government: Oligarchy. Run by the Triple Five Group, the benevolent monarchs of the Mall.
Style: Expansion and Income
Military: Mall cops!
ClaimsV.png

The Shogunate Empire of Japan

Capital- Modern Day Tokyo

Starting Claims- make Claims near Tokyo as many as I can, I'm confused ATM about the amount of starting land and I don't have MS paint with me on vacation.

As I'm close to Mainland Asia, will I be able to get there without costing double?

Government- Officially an absolute monarchy led by the Shogunate. However, its realistically an oligarchy, led by a Two House Parliament. The upper chamber consists of the leaders of each tribe, the lower chambers are elected by the nobility (I'm guessing government has no affect on the game except casus belis, if it does, call this Parliamentary Monarchy.)

Fiscal Policy- Corruption means the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, however, the king dislikes this and is lobbying to have it end.

Foreign Policy "Harsh but Fair" in other words, imperialist, but only in our sphere if we feel we have a right to land.

Religion- Free Religion. Buddhism and Shintoism is most common as it is Japan, however, no religious discrimination is allowed.

Social Policy- As we have no religion, in general, we go by Ronald Reagan's line "Government has overstepped its bounds when it tries to protect you from yourself" (Obviously I'm aware he doesn't exist, its just how I'm explaining it.) Of course, red tape is high and the rich often corrupt the law to their own benefits.

Color- Red if its not taken. Otherwise yellow.

Can you spend any money turn 1?

I'd like to be The Kingdom of Spain. (I don't have time to make a claims map, so I'll just take 10 around Madrid. Thanks, CivG!)

Capital: Madrid
Color: Yellow

Income: 10gpt
Civilian Tech: 1
Military Tech:1
Army/Navy: 1/1

(Did I do this part right?)

im gonna claim Istanbul province. thats two provinces.

nation name: Byzantine Republic, Byzantium, or Istanbul. all three can be used.
Capital: Istanbul
Language: Greek
Current Emperor: Emperor Barabas I
Government: um... Constitutional monarchy.
Style: unknown
Military: Standing Army and Navy
Color: usual purple.

now that i ahve claimed...

Diplomacy

the Byzantine Republic offers a trading agreement with every nation.

Sorry. I pick Orange then.

If you happen to know the answer, could you answer my other question?

IIRC, yes you can.

However, you probably should ask tailess when he gets on.

To: Believers of the One True Faith

Hear me, my subjects. All Christian nations must band together as one. Heretics and forces even more wicked than they are at work here. Our world is a fragile place. United, our Faith will stand. Separated, we will fall.

Christian nations, what say you?

You're welcome for the map idea bros. I'll also be joining in this edit gimme a sec.

Nation: Rus' Principality
Capital: Moscow
Government: Absolute Monarchy
Color: Sky Bluish

im gonna claim Istanbul province. thats two provinces.

nation name: Byzantine Republic, Byzantium, or Istanbul. all three can be used.
Capital: Istanbul
Language: Greek
Current Emperor: Emperor Barabas I
Government: um... Constitutional monarchy.
Style: unknown
Military: Standing Army and Navy
Color: usual purple.

now that i ahve claimed...

Diplomacy

the Byzantine Republic offers a trading agreement with every nation.

Japan accepts, though they do not know what affect (If any) they have.

IIRC, yes you can.

Hear me, my subjects. All Christian nations must band together as one. Heretics and forces even more wicked than they are at work here. Our world is a fragile place. United, our Faith will stand. Separated, we will fall.

The Shogunate responds to this to say we have no dislike toward Christians. In fact, we offer you the right to build a church in Tokyo.

The problem is, Christians are, strictly speaking, far less numerous than Buddhists and Shintoists. If we were to be a Christian-based nation, we would have riots in the streets and revolt. We mean no disrespect to Christianity. The government has no control over religion in the Shogunate empire, nor does it want one. I hope you can respect us. We offer a free-trade agreement if you will take it.

I'll claim the Duchy of Burgundy. Details shortly.

IIRC, yes you can.

Byzantium agrees.

details

sorry but i had to hurry up and claim my nation, you understand of course.

Population: 750,000 in total (reasoning: if Constantinople itself can have 500,000 people, then 750,000 is very possible in an area of 5191 square kilometers.

Military: symbolic. there are 25,000 people in one army and one navy force

Technolgy: uh... normal.

Government: Contitutional monarchy. the first nation to have a democratic structure

Economy: Free market-like. we tend to focus on our economic and technological might as much as we can.

Foreign policy: since we have a weak military, allies are highly sought.

Social policy: liberal, for its time.

other things: the Bosporus strait is made free for any nation to pass through. any allies of Byzantium is free to cross the city state for military operations near the Republic.

Top Bottom