• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Jesus and the Political Compass

OK, disagree it is.

On to page 2 of the test, here's the page 1 summary:

If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations.

Strongly Agree

I'd always support my country, whether it was right or wrong.

Disagree

No one chooses his or her country of birth, so it's foolish to be proud of it.

Disagree

Our race has many superior qualities, compared with other races.

Strongly Disagree

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Disagree.

Military action that defies international law is sometimes justified.

Disagree.

There is now a worrying fusion of information and entertainment.

Disagree.

Any big objections to those answers for page 1?

OK, disagree it is.

If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations.

Strongly Agree

Disagree

Disagree

Strongly Disagree

Disagree.

Disagree.

Disagree.

Plenty I don't actually think Jesus would agree with, but Only one I think was handled unfairly, and that is #1. IIRC #2 was disagree because one person objected to a strongly, therefore #1 should be changed to Agree since I said strongly disagree. Its only fair.

I don't think we should change #1, as Domination change the nature of the question in justifying his answer.

I picked Strongly Agree for Q1 because the caveat to your Strongly Disagree was if you thought both interests could be served just as well, I dunno.

I'm ok with changing to Agree instead though.

I picked Strongly Agree for Q1 because the caveat to your Strongly Disagree was if you thought both interests could be served just as well, I dunno.

I'm ok with changing to Agree instead though.

I think you should, as personally picking a strong opinion opens a whole bunch of other questions like

Are you SURE it can't do both?

Are you SURE Jesus would think its right to regulate corporations?

And then there's the fact someone (Me) says it can do both and regulation is in general wrong, and that I feel Jesus would agree with me.

I'm not saying we should change it to "Strongly Disagree" just for me but that we should do the same thing we did on question 2 and go with the less strong option.

It doesn't mention regulation though, it says the primary purpose should be serving humanity.

It doesn't mention regulation though, it says the primary purpose should be serving humanity.

It says "If economic globalization is inevitable, it should serve humanity rather than corporations."

I feel it can do both, and if that's correct Jesus would agree as he was perfect. Hence, according to the FAQs, the correct answer, in my view, is STRONGLY DISAGREE.

According to the principles used on question 2, agree should be used.

OK, disagree it is.

Strongly Agree

Disagree

Disagree

Strongly Disagree

Disagree.

Disagree.

Disagree.

I do. But are we talking political, or metaphysical?
4) The Jews are God's chosen people. Clearly superior. Being "God's chosen people" is a 'superior quality'. All humans are imperfect, but being 'God's chosen' make the jews a bit better.

5) The only enemy of Jesus is Satan. Satan's enemies are God, humans, and angels. All of these enemies are friends of Jesus. Erm, except for the unfaithful, I guess. Some of Satan's enemies (e.g., sinners) are not friends of Jesus. Edit: oop, I'm agreeing with everyone

6) Violating International Law is sometimes justified, if God tells you to do it. For example, the Isrealites were perfectly justified in slaughtering the babies of the Amalekits (instead of giving them asylum or POW status or adopting them), because Samuel said to do it.

OK, disagree it is.

Strongly Agree

Disagree

Disagree

Strongly Disagree

Disagree.

Disagree.

Disagree.

I have BIG objection only to 4. Treating other races as equal have nothing to do with having the quality of bing god's chosens.

I do. But are we talking political, or metaphysical?
4) The Jews are God's chosen people. Clearly superior. Being "God's chosen people" is a 'superior quality'. All humans are imperfect, but being 'God's chosen' make the jews a bit better.

5) The only enemy of Jesus is Satan. Satan's enemies are God, humans, and angels. All of these enemies are friends of Jesus. Erm, except for the unfaithful, I guess. Some of Satan's enemies (e.g., sinners) are not friends of Jesus. Edit: oop, I'm agreeing with everyone

6) Violating International Law is sometimes justified, if God tells you to do it. For example, the Isrealites were perfectly justified in slaughtering the babies of the Amalekits (instead of giving them asylum or POW status or adopting them), because Samuel said to do it.

I agree on your #5 and #6, but #4 is a bit unreasonable a stretch.

They aren't "Superior" through anything of their own ability or the way they were made, God just chose them because he had to choose someone and he picked them, just because he wanted to.

We are talking political.

And we are discussing NT Jesus rather than OT God. We could do another thread about OT God if we like ;)

It says "If economic globalization is inevitable, it should serve humanity rather than corporations."

I feel it can do both, and if that's correct Jesus would agree as he was perfect. Hence, according to the FAQs, the correct answer, in my view, is STRONGLY DISAGREE.

According to the principles used on question 2, agree should be used.

The question was:

"If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations."

You've changed the question. The question starts with the assumption that it can't do both, assume that and then decide whether Jesus would chose humanity or corporations.

For question #4, presumably we are treating Jewishness as a race, does this automatically make you superior according to Jesus?

EDIT: Dom - I agree with Truronian I'm afraid, so I'm sticking to Strongly Agree for #1.

We are talking political.

And we are discussing NT Jesus rather than OT God. We could do another thread about OT God if we like ;)

I'm more than willing to participate, however, I do feel there is no difference, as God doesn't change. It depends on whether or not you believe the Bible is inerrant.

The question was:

"If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations."

You've changed the question. The question starts with the assumption that it can't do both, assume that and then decide whether Jesus would chose humanity or corporations.

Read the FAQ in Political Compass. It says pick Strongly disagree if you feel it can do both.

Read the FAQ in Political Compass. It says pick Strongly disagree if you feel it can do both.

Where? This is all I can find:

This one sometimes ruffles feathers on right wings. What the proposition actually suggests is that humanity should be the priority.

Critics argue that there's no conflict of interest. Transnational corporations naturally and unfailingly serve humanity by serving themselves. In enriching business, the argument goes, globalisation will always subsequently benefit humanity. Prioritising humanity would only limit the ability of the corporations to inevitably do greater good. So advocates of this trickle down approach should simply click 'strongly disagree' We don't see the problem.

The record, however, makes clear that there have often been spectacular conflicts of interest between coporate enrichment and humantity. Halliburton, Enron and the tobacco industry's research cover-ups are perhaps the best known examples. Others are detailed at The 10 Worst Corporations of 2008 and Corpwatch.org .

On the other hand, for the comparatively few who tell us that corporations can never serve humanity, Milton Friedman argues the case for unfettered market forces.

I think the debate should continue and page 2 of the quiz can be done tomorrow, I'm gonna get my Scrabble fix now.

Its the second paragraph.

Ok. I missed that.

I don't like it though, for three reasons:

1) It's clearly rubbish, as paragraph three demonstrates.
2) If the argument is that globalisation should serve corporations in the short term so that it ultimately serves humanity in the long term, then that reads like a "strongly agree" to me.
3) Jesus never demonstrated any love for capitalism (especially not in his temples), but he demonstrated a lot of love for humanity.

A hypothetical for you. Take the dilemma of corporations or humanity as an a piori and chose which one globalisation should primarily benefit.

Top Bottom