Tom's Unit Factory

Nice, tom. Are you going to make a regular person-colored version of your green angel? Or does one already exist?

Nice, tom. Are you going to make a regular person-colored version of your green angel? Or does one already exist?

Yes, a regular colored angel with white wings and the sort... also another recolored called Vrilya for Steampunk. Description of Vrilya from BM.

Blue Monkey said:
Picture a toga-clad aryan with metal wings ( a worn device, not part of their body, although that wouldn't matter for the unit) & a metal staff to deliver various energy charges & attacks. They are the underground race in one of the more famous Hollow Earth novels.

How hard is it to add CivColor? A number of your conversions would be much more useful with CivColor.

who needs civ colored units when theres the civ colored disc
I always wondered why unitmakers had to put some awkward patch of texture for civcolour on their units instead of just making the unit at it's best.

Some of these conversions (which were sprites from other 2d games) don't work well to add civ color unfortunately because you have to find a specific color on the original sprites to change to blue. In some cases, there is not a color to do this with or the whole unit is too close to all colors, etc so it just doesn't work well.

Some of the early 3d ones don't have them because I just didn't know how to do it (or do it well for 2d) at that that time.

Others don't have them because they are small animals or animals where a big blue patch would look strange.

John Carter of Mars (unit conversion)

Civ Colours have been added. Made major altercations from original. Re-textured skin onto feet, legs, and upper body. Added leather chest strap, pistol and sword, reworked waist cloth. Attack4 (Gun) animation and effects done by tom2050. The rest is from AO.

Download here... JohnCarterOfMars.rar

Unit32, Large/Small pcx, and Sound Files included. Is an Atlantica Online unit.

Looks Great Tom... WOW, he has long Legs :lol:
I can't wait to see the New Unit that you are making all animations for.
Scary I know... especially after all of the Excellent work you have done with Unit Conversions and wanting to maintain your level of excellence but take your time and don't upload it until you have tested it and are personally satisfied :)

The Details do matter even at Civ Scale and with all of the limitations involved, it is always a Chore to obtain the end result desired due to needed sizes, limitation of Palette colors, compatible Flc Speeds, sounds, etc... Go for the Best it can be and many of the details will be evident in game, making all the difference :)

This is a wonderful rendition of John Carter, Tom. I like that he moves like an old-fashioned hero. He's strong, he's handsome, he's public domain! And he will be featured in the upcoming Steampunk: Lost Worlds mod as a central character.

Five Stars, Two Thumbs up, and a bunch of (Edit: not noogies) kudos!

Spoiler :
For the uninitiated: John Carter first appeared in Edgar Rice Burrough's A Princess of Mars in 1911. Superman first appeared in 1938. Similarities between the two characters are striking: John Carter, a visitor from another planet (Earth), has (because of the gravity difference between the two planets) incredible strength on his adopted planet, and is, among other things, able to leap great distances in a single bound. He is described as being very muscular (much more muscular than his earthly alter-ego), and stands about 6'2" with close cropped black hair and steel-grey eyes. He is also described as being the very embodiment of old-fashioned, even quaint, values. As shown in >this< 1919 first-edition book cover, he was even portrayed with a red cape and a curl in the middle of his forehead!

Superman's creators, Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, don't mention John Carter as an inspiration for their iconic super hero, but to my mind the evidence is clear: Carter was the prototype, and as such, could arguably be called the 'father' of all modern superheroes.

As of this writing, Disney/Pixar has just finished location filming for an upcoming live-action John Carter of Mars movie, currently scheduled for release in 2012.

Postscript: Siegel and Shuster can't even claim the skin-tight costume as their idea: in 1936, two years before Superman first appeared, Lee Falk's The Phantom began running as a daily comic strip with its title character being the first hero to wear a skin-tight outfit. Falk claimed to have gotten the idea from movie depictions of Robin Hood. Falk also gave a nod to another Burroughs character, Tarzan as inspiration. Good for him.

Public domain, right there in the first line of da poast, huh? :)
I hope Disney's meddling doesn't mean that Barsoom gets copyrighted and 'protected' again.

Truly, a Warlord of Mars!

Thanks all.. His legs do look a bit long now that I look at them. Should I shorten them a bit? It may be the real reason he was able to jump so far on Mars (not taking low gravity into account of course)!

I'm hoping to get cowgirl up in a couple days once I figure out how to get the lasso animated to look real enough. She'll come complete with Knife, Pistol, Lasso, and Shotgun attacks.

I. I think JC's legs look fine. In fact, I think that slightly longer legs work particularly well on a hero unit. I'd definitely like to see what Dejah looks like with long lovely legs.

2. Could you put a skirt on that lil' cowgirl, pardner? Not that she isn't fetching as she is, but if you don't mind - it would make her easier to fit into a historical mod. Thank ye kindly.

Top Bottom