Really furious!

Here is a little contribution from our friend Arnold to bring the good atmosphere to this SG :D:

Link to video.

Cheers,
Raskolnikov

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to drop out.

OK, see you in another game :)

@TheFragLeader: are you in?
@Methos: I add you as alternate in case we get another drop out. :)

@everyone: emperor/pangea?

Here it is!

Settings used:

Firaxis introducing us to german history... :lol:

And finally our start!

First we need to decide if we keep it: riverside, food, 2 different luxuries, surplus luxury to sell/trade, riverside hills... to keep it short, it looks really powerfull. Can go with it personnally but I have no pb with trying another one :)

Here is the early tech tree for reference (will add socail doctrines soon):

If we keep it, I think settle in place and scout move towards the "white" hills south of the wheat. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Raskolnikov

edit: added the save :hammer2:

Attachments

• furious 4000 bc.Civ5Save
    323.9 KB · Views: 104
Well, roster was filled up too soon. :cry: Hope you enjoy the game, I'll do some lurking, if you don't mind.

It's great to have so many folks from civ4 SG's!

start looks good to me--we'll have 2 surplus resources to sell as well as marble in case we want to build a wonder (not sure exactly what else we can build!).

If we settle 1W we can buy the wheat tile which will help our early growth--long term that looks a little weaker tho so I'm not sure.

I would prefer continents myself.

Some further thoughts:

On continents, we can clear our continent, other than the city states, and leave the rest of the land undeveloped. This land will be our unit farm, every time a barbarian pops, we harvest it for a new unit.
The other continents will become our gold/culture farm, with puppet states, taking them once we tech/culture up enough for cheap upgrades.

Whether this will work or not depends on how well we can tech/culture up at this difficulty level. (And whether we can even clear our continent soon enough to leave empty land at this difficulty)

Forget all this, I missed the post with the save, maybe next time :)

I agree on move to desert hills.

Since we cannot build a scout, build worker first.

I am thinking we go mining first, thinking to hook up the marble, while worker builds a farm, then go pottery/calendar to hook up our luxuries and perhaps build a wonder.

We will not be devoting the early production to military units, so we might want to go for an early wonder. Stonehenge/Great Library/Oracle are all decent choices. Of course, all of these are a risk, but with the first circle marble, I think it is worth it.

Maybe you could take a look at the numbers to see whether it makes sense to hook up the marble first, or start building the wonder without marble by teching to it first, then hooking up the marble. Of course, the relates to how long it takes to get that first worker out.

I have been playing some games at epic speed, so I do not have a good feel for the early timing on standard.

-Iustus

@Estarrioll: always nice to have lurkers!

OK no big objection to this particular start (noted EP wish for Monty :D)

@Shyuhe: I am reluctant to buy tiles so early as we are likely to need the gold to buy city-states. And food resources are less spectacular in this game so I would settle in place if everyone is OK with the idea.

I like mining -> masonry as suggested by Iustus: incence won't add food nor production so I feel those aren't the pressing tiles. We can go for calendar later.

I am thinking playing 25 turns in the afternoon: it should be the time required to unlock a civic so it makes a good stopping point. Meanwhile: we should have time for worker and starting something else. Something else is either a monument or a granary. (Since no warriors or scouts and I guess we want to be size 3 before starting a settler). I would put some turns in one of them (I have no strong preferences here, more culture goood for civics, more food good as always) then switch to a settler once we have the adequate size. I am no fan of wonders, but as Iustus said, maybe we will have a window in set 2/3 for one if the surrounding land is crappy (while we rally barbarians to our cause), or if that's the team consensus :)

Exploration wise: make a circle around the capital (from left to the right, opposite of your rolex ;)), hunting ruins, and seeking a first kill :)

Thoughts, comments?

Cheers,
Raskolnikov

PS: I will try PM to TheFragLeader. Otherwise I will get Methos out of the lurking side :)
edit: @Iustus: your previous post had some good reasons for continental mapscript. We can always try that after this game, but I felt the first game had to not gamble on the mechanism that make this variant viable, ie availability of militaristic city-state.

we need pottery for a granary? so it will be monument, which is ok with me
:lol: civ 5 is still confusing me... monument it is then :goodjob:

with wonders: worst case scenario we get money, can use that to buy CS's friendship

Good point, might be very worth to put some hammers on them then. I didn't look: do we receive one gold per hammer? any idea on the ratio?

I am waiting for some more input before playing :)

I was looking at the tech tree, we might have more success getting Pyramids, as that is in masonry, so we can start it right away, while we hook up marble (or even more effeciently, build something for a few turns then switch to it once marble hooked up).

On the other hand, Pyramids is not as useful as stonehenge or the great library, but those take 2 more techs to get (or 3 for both).

I agree on exploration, we need to find those barbarian camps fast! I think I would build a monument, to give us more culture, for the first social policy.

I think we should consider not building a settler, if we can get enough units quickly from barb camps (or get lucky with a goody hut and get a unit upgraded to a spearman), and just rush someones capital instead. If we do this, we can build a library or the like at home, if we go that tech path. Barbarian camps will start giving us spearmen pretty soon (even if we dont have the tech), so I think we might want to consider early techs for culture/science. We just have to make sure we have units that can kill the spearmen. We will also be getting archers from barb camps, but those are easier to kill with warriors.

I have the deluxe version, so I am using the perl script to convert my save to regular version, as posted here: convert deluxe perl script. I opened your save, then resaved, then ran the script. Can one of you with the non-deluxe version make sure you can open it?

Attachments

• furious_deluxe_converted.Civ5Save
    325.8 KB · Views: 116
^^ all good points :) Though my game crashed two times trying to load your save :mischief: Is it working for someone else?

edit: though spears are no troubles imo. Just take them out with support of either a city, an archer, or another warrior till we get better weapons.

Yes! working fine now. :) Once I here back from Rusten (TFL still didn't show up), I'll play the round.

Plan looks ok to me. I had a start similar to this in one of my games; worker-worker and selling the luxury resource and rush a settler worked great then. That's assuming there's a nice 2nd city location of course (i.e immediate new luxury). I hate building the first settler and stunting growth. There's enough happiness for the 2nd city even if we sell the first luxury.

Question: Does culture still double after 1000 years in ciV? (Still new to this :D)

(Also game with trying continents next game).

Top Bottom