Really furious!

Answer: no, culture doesn't double.

Will play in a few. Isn't rushing a settler a bit expensive?

I move the warrior on the mentionned hill. It reveals fish and marble (note to self, settle on marble).

We settle in place to let a viable city in the west and because it seems just great. We start research on mining, building a worker.

Our warrior, which went along the coast reveals deer and tundra, indicating that we are in south end of the land-mass.

The first barb camp is revealed soon after!

We attack and loose :sad: :cry:

Spoiler :
Get used to lame jokes.

First attack hits the brute for 7 damages while we take 3.

The second attack is a success and our warrior earns a promotion (not used). The brute joins us!

Our initial warrior then rally Berlin to heal while the brute continues exploration toward east.

We discover mining turn 9, as well as a natural wonder (+1 happiness).

The brute then find ruins.

Which themself give us the location of three barb camps! :cool:

North:

South:

and east:

t13 we meet the Iroquois, coming from the north east.

Sometime later, we find the eastern barb camp.

Our warrior on its way north encounters hostiles, they are dispatched with the help of city bombardement.

We also meet Warsaw in the east (culture city state) at that time.

t18 we meet Zu Wetian, a scout in the east.

Iroquois propose a pact against the chinese, which I decline... we want to trade with a maximum of AIs.

We dispatch the eastern barb camp and another brute joins us! :goodjob:

We start another worker as per Rusten idea. It will speed up the growth of the city.

t19: We meet yet another AI, Toku, nah, Oda Nobunaga.

Near the end, we discover another natural wonder! not far from the northern barb camp. :eekdance:

Masonry is in, we start on pottery on our way to calendar.

The northern camp is also dispatched and yet another brute is subjugated. (that's 50% chance really?)

I stop turn 25 as we can adopt a new policy. Obvious choice is honor but liberty gives 50% bonus on settler production and tradition one food per turn in the capital, that's for reference.

There is a barb wandering south of Berlin, it should be bombarded and dispatch with the help of the japanese scout and our brute coming to rally the southern barb camp (which is standing near the whales).

Here is an overview.

Note that units are unmoved. I will add links to the turn-set reports in the first post for easier browsing. :)

Thoughts, comments (,rants :D)?

Roster:

Raskolnikov -> just played!
Iustus -> up!
Ungy -> on deck!
Rusten
Emperor Peter
TheFragLeader (or Methos if I don't hear back from you soon :))

Cheers,
Raskolnikov

Attachments

• furious 3000 bc.Civ5Save
    442.7 KB · Views: 127
Ok, consider this a got it (I have not opened the save yet, just have a second to post, then headed out, I will play tomorrow).

We have a lot of warriors this early, what do we think about sending them all one way and try to grab someone's capital? We might even get a few more along the way, or better yet an archer.

I think we should consider starting pyramids rather than a settler next, if we get another capital or two, we do not need to even build a settler, and with puppet cities, we can run up the patronage line really cheaply.

Thoughts? I will try to look at the save tomorrow morning and post some further thoughts, then play tomorrow night.

-Iustus

Well, I am waiting on my wife to get ready, so I had time to open the save. We need to find another capital before we can consider taking one. My tenative plan is the following:

- adopt honor, we need to know where the barb camps are, and not get damaged so much taking them
- explore west and northwest with the 2 warriors in the west
- loop the south warrior back to clear the barb camp to the south
- explore east with the east warrior
- start the pyramids in 10 turns, when our worker completes (it will be a bit sooner, marble is hooked up in 2 turns)

I am thinking play 15 turns? Then we go to 10 each? Or should I just do 10?

Thoughts?

hmm having trouble opening the save.
do I need any special software to open this?
(I'm on the same comp I used for civ4).

I had no trouble opening the save. You need to put it in the correct directory (documents/my games/sid...civ 5/saves/single/) where normal saves go

I have deluxe, so it should not be a standard version vs deluxe thing.

- adopt honor, we need to know where the barb camps are, and not get damaged so much taking them
- explore west and northwest with the 2 warriors in the west
- loop the south warrior back to clear the barb camp to the south
- explore east with the east warrior
- start the pyramids in 10 turns, when our worker completes (it will be a bit sooner, marble is hooked up in 2 turns)

I like this plan. I've never assault a capital this early without range unit support but I will follow if you guys wanna try with 4 warriors (well that worked in 4 so why not). Though We need to locate our neighbours quite fast to make this viable.
I am thinking play 15 turns? Then we go to 10 each? Or should I just do 10?

15 looks fine :). Yeah we will prolly go with 10 turn sets then, but there is nothing written on stone, if you need a further turn to finish the main stuff of your round, or a turn less makes more sense regarding team planning, well go ahead :)

hmm having trouble opening the save.
do I need any special software to open this?
(I'm on the same comp I used for civ4).

Hum weird, as Iustus said, you shouldn't have problem as it's the regular edition save. I ran the directx9 version of the game fwiw.

Raskolnikov

lurker's comment: Don't forget that on Emperor AI starts with quite a few military units and workers. So your plan for grabbing someone's capital so early may get ugly.

On the other hand, it occurred to me that you won't be able to train any ranged units - no catapults and so on. And mounted units as well. Then, maybe, you should risk losing some brutes, 'cause it will be much harder to take a city later on with just infantry.

BTW, do nukes count for non-military production? From my P.O.V., it's pure science. :goodjob:

lurker's comment: Don't forget that on Emperor AI starts with quite a few military units and workers. So your plan for grabbing someone's capital so early may get ugly.

On the other hand, it occurred to me that you won't be able to train any ranged units - no catapults and so on. And mounted units as well. Then, maybe, you should risk losing some brutes, 'cause it will be much harder to take a city later on with just infantry.

BTW, do nukes count for non-military production? From my P.O.V., it's pure science. :goodjob:

Definitely we need to scout and see how it looks. I am going to focus on scouting my turn, it will be up to the next couple folks to see if they can do an early rush.

We will get archers from barbarian camps, which can be upgraded to crossbowmen. Militaristic city states can and will give us all unit types, including catapults and mounted units.

We need a bit of luck to get a capital this early. I do not think 4 warriors would be enough to take a city defended by a warrior and an archer, and certainly not if he has a spearmen, but its entirely possible we could be up to 6 warriors by then, or even 5 warriors and a spearmen (ancient ruins can upgrade a warrior/brute into a spearman). This can actually go quite extreme. I was playing an archipelago map with the ottomans (trying the barbary pirate thing), and I beelined to optics. I had one warrior go to almost all the isles with ruins and no starting AI, and he upgraded all the way to spearman->pikeman->rifleman before I had even researched iron working. (This was a large map)

-Iustus

You meant fun? :p We must be cautious indeed. Though worker stealing is fun enough to declare a war in my book :D

THat's where city-states come into play. Those gift any type of unit (so you can be unlucky and get a scout in industrial era :D)... including artillery and ranged supporting units. Not sure about the barb camps as ... it's my first game with germany :lol:

:nono: I see the devil inside the scientist... (no, I am not a spanish inquisitor :lol:)

edit: xpost with Iustus

@Estarrioll: so you don't allow PMs? :p I still have no news from TFL, and Methos isn't available anymore, so if you want the last spot in the roster, it's all yours! Otherwise, we will continue with a 5 men roster unless a good soul (read nut) shows up :)

Ras

I had no trouble opening the save. You need to put it in the correct directory (documents/my games/sid...civ 5/saves/single/) where normal saves go
I'm good--thx for the help.

3 brutes already:goodjob:

what is the upgrade path for brutes/warriors? (can they become swords?)

warrior -> swordman -> long swordman (aka darth vader ) -> rifleman -> infantry -> mech.

Here is a usefull upgrade unit path link.

Glad your save pbs are fixed :goodjob:

Ras

@Estarrioll: so you don't allow PMs? :p I still have no news from TFL, and Methos isn't available anymore, so if you want the last spot in the roster, it's all yours! Otherwise, we will continue with a 5 men roster unless a good soul (read nut) shows up :)

Ras

Actually, I do allow PMs... I just don't know why they are not coming. :rolleyes:

Thanx for the invitation, but the things kinda changed... It's just not the best time for me to play, and I don't want to be your fifth wheel. I'll keep lurking for now and wishing to be able to play sometime soon. :sad:

Missed the spot. :)

In fact - I may be able to play when it comes to the last spot - in a week or so? Count me in then!

In fact - I may be able to play when it comes to the last spot - in a week or so? Count me in then!

Nice to hear. Welcome on board! I add you after Peter, which means you should get to play in 10 days if things go well (maybe earlier, but if it is needed, you can be swapped).

Ok, it has been a while since I did a turn report, or tried to post images here (years!). It used to be the case that I could click an uploads link at the bottom, upload the images to civfanatics, which would give me a handy url to put into the IMG tags of my post.

I cannot seem to find the way to upload images (and get a URL). I can add attachments, but thats not what I want (at least I do not think it is).

I am guessing the site changed? I tried imageshack, but I could not seem to figure out how to get the url of an image that would actually work here.

Sorry for the delay everyone.

-Iustus

I use photobucket.com

Civ 5 produces .tga which photobucket doens't accept so you will have to convert them to jpeg if you use that one.

No worries with the delay. :)

3000-2400 BC Turn Report, Part I of IV

Turn 25: 3000 BC
Policy is ready

adopt honor

No notifications of camp respawns (yet)

Explore with warriors, as planned, discover the edge of a city state to the west

Bombard barbarian at Berlin, for 1 damage

Turn 26: 2960 BC
meet city state Budapest/militaristic!

I think we should wait for 500 gold, we get 10 more free over just spending 250 twice

explore with warriors

bombard for another 1 damage

Turn 27: 2920 BC
the Iroquois are protecting Warsaw, we need to watch that, we will want to try to get them to allied before we declare on the Iroquois

barbarian enters our borders, threatening our worker...

...but our city bombards him...

...for 3 damage (we were doing 1 each before), killing him

budapest is on a peninsula

wandering barbarian to the northwest, but no camp yet

damage the camp to the south

find a barbarian camp to the east

worker finishes quarry...

...giving us marble...

... and a 25% bonus on wonders

this brings pyramids down to 28 turns (after 7 more turns on the worker)

using default focus:

if we switch to production focus,

we stagnate...

...but worker is 5 turns, pyramids is 20.

I leave it on default focus to grow (7 turns)

I will finish the farm that is already started first, then build a mine on the river hill, so we can get some more production and still grow, then farm the plains river. Once the mine is finished, I will reconsider changing which tiles we work.

I wonder if I should postpone finishing the worker and just do pyramids, I am afraid someone else will beat us to it.

At first, I was thinking the pyramids would not be the most useful wonder for us, but I am now reconsidering. If we make a lot of puppet cities llike I think we should, then we need to remodel all their cities and spam traiding posts everywhere, and pyramids will help us do that faster

Turn 28: 2880 BC
Pottery finishes

The barbarian is on open ground...

...the odds say attack...

...easy xp!

The camp at the south spawns another warrior, I think if I took the camp now, the second brute would kill our warrior in the camp spot, so even if we were successful in recruitment, we would end up at a net zero, so I back off, either the loose warrior will chase me, or head north, giving me an opening

2 turns left to finish the farm that I suppose was started prior to learning masonry needed to build the quarry

next turn will attack the camp to the east

what to do with techs? these are the choices:

the tech tree at a glance:

I would like to do writing, for library (but not the great library, I think we are way too late to try for that). Anyway, we need calendar so we can develop our tiles, so that is what I choose. The next player will have all the same choices though, if we wish to discuss further.

continued in part II

Top Bottom