Celtic Fury

Be happy that your school starts tomorrow/today or whatever as I've been in school for what, 2-3 weeks already? ;)

Yep. But remember that I get out 2-3 weeks later than most schools. Not so fun when your county actually considers school on June 30.

Point taken. :rolleyes:

But still. It has been hard to remember being in school again and having those blasted homework to do before logging on to anything. :sad:

Chapter VI: The Growth of Cities and Warfare​

The 200 years following the Celtic Civil War were filled with growth in cities and the Celtic Empire. Due to the decrease in government corruption, Celtic cities doubled in size. For example, before the Civil War, Entremont was a important but small city on the Sub-Saharan coastline. Nearly 300 years later, it would be one of the world’s largest cities.

In 480 AD, in Entremont, Smith’s Trading Company became so large that it created enough income for the government that they could pay maintenance for all of the empire’s markets and banks.

This increased the profit gained from them drastically. This economic growth also led to rapid technological advancement as the Celts became one of the most advanced civilizations in the world. The advances gained not only allowed for open-ocean travel, bank development, and several military applications for gunpowder; but also shot the Celts into a new era now called the Industrial Era.

********************​

The Iroquois had long been the rival and neighbor of the Celts. Ever since the conquest of the Egyptians 2000 years earlier, they had shared an Arabian border. A ‘cold war’ was initiated as both sides built up large military presences in their border cities, causing further tension. Two thousand years of rivalry pushed the two empires to the brink of war.

In 490 AD, the Iroquois moved several thousand Musketmen through the Celtic part of Arabia to their own Arabian city of Cattaraugus. In response to this, the Celts built up their border force by an astounding 20,000 men. The situation deteriorated until both leaders were very displeased with each-other. Celtic diplomats became involved in searching for a possible ally for the inevitable war with the Iroquois. The ally would be used primarily as a distraction from the main Celtic Army.

The Carthaginians rivaled the Celts in strength and were the world’s most advanced people. However, Hannibal asked for so much in return that the Celts immediately crossed them off the list. The Aztecs, who had just resolved a 3,500 year-long war with the Iroquois, were once again looking for bloodshed. When the Celts approached, they actually figured out a trade that would have both sides declare war on the Iroquois. The trade was kept in reserve as they both built up their military in the area.

********************​

As plans were made for conquest in the North, in the South, the Indian government was unable to pay its military for several years; as a result nearly all of their military deserted, save the crew of a single caravel. Seizing upon the opportunity for a free city, the Celts declared war and took Bombay without a fight.

The Indians, who had once been as advanced as the mighty Carthaginians, were destroyed.

********************​

The tiny island of Madagascar held refuge for the last of the Japanese Empire. But in 510 AD, their former capital of Kyoto revolted and rejoined the Japanese.

The Japanese stubbornly refused to return the city, and the Celts declared war. A small band of spearmen were slaughtered as the city fell once more in 520 AD, just 10 years after they declared independence.

Further peace talks failed as the Japanese failed to take the war seriously. They joked about how war was good for nothing.

The Celtic diplomats found this philosophy to be flawed. After all, war was perfectly good for conquering other civilizations.

********************​

In the North, the situation in the Middle East turned to war when Hiathawa, leader of the Iroquois, insulted King Brennus in front of the King’s diplomats. War was officially declared on July 13, 540 AD. Two weeks later the Aztecs also declared war on the Iroquois.

Just a month after that the Celtic Army charged across the border into the lands of the Iroquois Confederacy. The First Celtic-Iroquois War had begun.

Attachments

• Desposed!.JPG
    Desposed!.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,161
  • In AGe.JPG
    In AGe.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,210
  • STC.JPG
    STC.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,172
  • India Gone.JPG
    India Gone.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,193
  • India Gon 2.JPG
    India Gon 2.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,178
  • Wimpy Japan.JPG
    Wimpy Japan.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,177
I can promise you guys that updates will be more frequent mostly because I'm working on several right now.

In the mean time, I'd love to hear what some of the new readers and lurkers (not those that have posted often) think of the story. Feel free to criticize. Improvement is something that would make both you and me happy.

lurker's comment: I can't believe the story was last updated September 5, it feels like only a week! :eek: Great update, thank you. I don't really have any suggestions, just keep doing what you're doing with your style of writing up the story.

Okay, English class has occupied most of my writing time, but I have been busy. There should be several updates within a couple of weeks including one tonight if I can get it typed up quickly (I write them on loose-leaf paper first).

Chapter VII: Decline of a Medieval Superpower​

The Celtic-Aztec alliance stormed Iroquois lands. As the capital of the Iroquois, Salamanca was the first of the Celts targets.

Salamanca was considered among the greatest cities of the Classical and Medieval Era. Home to many Wonders of the World, it angered many Celtic builder-clans. The Celts had worked hard to complete several wonders that the constructors of Salamanca had beaten them to the construction of. Many in these builder-clans volunteered to help take down the Iroquois “menace”, in hopes of avenging their ancestors’ sweat and blood.

The city, however, was defended by the world largest garrison of that time. Exceeding 12,000 soldiers, the Iroquois defended their home well. Fortunately for the Celts, the invasion force was also huge. Tripling the number of defenders, 36,000 Cavalry charged at the city.

Iroquois Generals believed that the use of Musketmen in the open field would be the most effective way to defend against this threat. The Celts promptly charged full-on into the Iroquois muskets that were less accurate than the rifles wielded by the Celtic Cavalry. Soon many of the Musketmen were dead and they retreated into the city, leaving the Crusaders out in the open where they were decimated by the Cavalry. The Celts proceeded to take the gates and enter the city.

As the Celts killed all who resisted, Hiawatha, who was leader of the Iroquois, said, “As the sun sets, it does not only set on the earth, but on my empire as well”. The victory had been a costly one for the Celts who suffered over 6,000 dead, though it would be the backbone of the Iroquois army that had been shattered.

Hiawatha would be right. Time and time again, Celtic Cavalry routed the Iroquois soldiers who were poorly trained and equipped.

Three more cites would fall to the Celtic hordes before all that remained of the Iroquois homeland was the mountain fortress of Grand River.

********************​

As Grand River prepared its defenses for the inevitable assault, the Celts aboard the KBS Entremont completed the first recorded journey around the world. This would be the final mission for the Entremont, which had been the Flagship of the Celtic Navy for well over 1000 years. As the ship returned to harbor, a playground was created that reminded and inspired the entire Celtic Navy from that day forward. It was reported that Celtic ships would now travel faster than any other nation’s naval vessels.

********************​

Finally, in 650 AD, the Celts attacked Grand River. Dozens of thousands of Cavalry swarmed the hills outside of the city. It was a Commander, Caractacus, who would be instrumental to the taking of the city. Caractacus led a force of only 1000 cavalry to outflank and ultimately destroy the defenses of the city.

Hiawatha fled the city to the Carthaginian port of Leptis Magna where he boarded a galleon destined for New Zealand, the last stronghold of the former Iroquois Empire. King Brennus responded by sending the newest ship of the Celtic Navy after him.

The new KBS Entremont was known as a Frigate, armed with 80 iron-cast cannons, it was the most powerful vessel of its time.

********************​

The Second Japanese-Celtic War raged on Madagascar until a surprise attack by 3,000 Celtic Cavalry took the city. As fires burned throughout the city, Tokugawa committed ritual suicide officially ending the Kingdom of Japan’s sovereignty. Japanese culture would soon transform to fit its new Celtic ownership.

********************​

As the Celts destroyed the Japanese and Iroquois armies, the Aztecs pressed the attack on Spain who was the Iroquois’ primary ally. The only city that remained was the city of Barcelona near the Ural Mountains.

Attachments

• Battle of Salamanca.jpg
    Battle of Salamanca.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,125
  • Cattaraugus Falls.JPG
    Cattaraugus Falls.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 1,138
  • Allegheny Falls.JPG
    Allegheny Falls.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 1,114
  • 3rd MGL.JPG
    3rd MGL.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 1,098
  • Grand River Falls.JPG
    Grand River Falls.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 1,129
  • Japan Gone.JPG
    Japan Gone.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 1,097
  • Niagara FALLS.JPG
    Niagara FALLS.JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 1,454
  • Salamanca Falls.JPG
    Salamanca Falls.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 1,151
  • Wonders.JPG
    Wonders.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,076
Subscribed!

So did I.

Also, ranked it 5 stars for the pleasant hours it gave me reading through. I love that you consider unit HP's as 200 men. Love the idea - as much as that the Civil War, a "mini-game" was played for a decision in the original game. Keep the good work up! :goodjob:

Also, ranked it 5 stars for the pleasant hours it gave me reading through. I love that you consider unit HP's as 200 men. Love the idea - as much as that the Civil War, a "mini-game" was played for a decision in the original game. Keep the good work up! :goodjob:
That's why I enjoy writing. Having someone legitimately tell you that they like your writing is very satisfying.

In the last update I used 1000 men for each division. This translates to 500 men per HP in a conscript, 333 men/HP for regular, 250 men/HP for veteran, and 200 men/HP for elite. But I could change this back to the way I'd worked it before if you guys want. In the update I'm writing now, I'm using the old system.

Also, thanks for the 5 stars!

edit: Welcome to CFC you two!
[party]:band:[party]

Once you get into this later era, 1,000 men per HP is more realistic for the actual times.

In the last update I used 1000 men for each division. This translates to 500 men per HP in a conscript, 333 men/HP for regular, 250 men/HP for veteran, and 200 men/HP for elite. But I could change this back to the way I'd worked it before if you guys want. In the update I'm writing now, I'm using the old system.

I personally prefer the 200 men/HP-system. OFC when you have like 20-30 Units, it can be time-consuming to make all the counts for telling the attacking force's exact size. That 1000 men/Unit can be legitimate, as you are now in the age of mass armies (think Napoleon).

Also, thanks for the 5 stars!
Thanks for the fun hours. :)

edit: Welcome to CFC you two!
[party]:band:[party]
Thanks.:) I used to forum a bit here, around 2 years ago.

New Post! New Post! New Post! New Post! New Post! New Post! New Post! New Post! :mischief:
Don't worry, a new update will be up sometime in the next week.

Chapter VIII: Early Imperialism and the Rise of Piracy​

The end of the seventh century saw an increase in lawlessness in Aztec Europe. The Pirates of the Mediterranean discovered early that the government would pay well for their services and they became privateers. In 678 AD, the first of many Aztec Privateers sailed through the Straits of Gibraltar into the Atlantic Ocean. For the next 50 years Pirates would control the Atlantic Ocean as the Celts hurried to produce a strong naval presence.

********************​

As Pirates controlled the seas, the Celts developed the world’s first steam-powered engine. This would allow construction of railways to help the now massive Celtic Army move about. There were several military possibilities such as Ironclad warships that the Celts decided against researching.

********************​

In 689 AD the Americans declared war on the Aztec Empire. Celtic military analysts couldn’t figure out why the Americans would make such a strategic error. It would be later determined that the American people had wished for land outside of their cold, frozen homeland, and had declared war out of simple aggression.

********************​

As the American-Aztec War began, the Celts established embassies in two powerful capital cities.

The French city of Paris was the first city to gain an embassy. Initial Celtic research on the city showed it to not only to be a massively developed city, but also to boast a 15,000 troop garrison. The new diplomats reached an agreement later that year that would allow the Celtic Army to move through French territory unchallenged.

Persepolis also received diplomats in the fall of 691 AD. The Celts were not impressed at all by the city. Its culture was undeveloped and its garrison was small. Celtic Military leaders believed that most of the army was out campaigning at the time.

********************​

With the signing of a Right of Passage with the French, the Celtic Army sent out an invasion force to take war to the Sumerians, who the Celts had been at war with for over 800 years. In 710 AD, the Celtic Army attacked Ur, the Capital of the Sumerians…

Caractacus had fought as a commander of a small force several times, but never had he been in charge of such a large army. Regardless, he led his army at the 3000 Sumerians who were wielding ancient yet powerful weapons. The battle was quick, yet violent and left over 4000 dead. Nearly all of the Sumerian Enkidu Warriors were dead, 1000 Celtic Cavalry also lay slain. Vercingetorix then led his army to attack as well. From the beginning, things went wrong. Hundreds died attacking a small hill that was heavily defended, then an additional 1800 died as arrows rained down from the city walls. However, the city fell when the Celts gunpowder weapons smashed the gates to splinters and the Knights swarmed the city. Ur had fallen, though 3000 Celts lay dead.

********************​

Meanwhile on the Celtic-owned West African Coast, the frigate KBS Alesia (FR-02) was dispatched. Soon after leaving port, the ship was attacked by Aztec Pirates. A fierce battle began as volleys were fired from the ships. But then, the unthinkable happened. A random shot from the burning Pirate vessel hit the Alesia’s powder room causing a huge explosion that ripped the ship apart. Several weeks later, a Byzantine Dromon was also sunken by the Pirates. This piracy was assessed as one of the greatest threats to the Celtic Empire, and plans for war against the Aztecs were drafted.

********************​

In American Siberia, a large Aztec Cavalry force viciously attacked Washington. Though the American defenders would try their hardest, they ultimately were destroyed and their people scattered as Washington and the former United States fell under the control of the Aztecs.

edit: Celtic Fury is now in the Top 100 most viewed Civ3 Stories! Thanks for all of the views, everyone!

Attachments

• France Embassy.JPG
    France Embassy.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 934
  • Aztec Pirate.JPG
    Aztec Pirate.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 1,010
  • America vs Aztecs.JPG
    America vs Aztecs.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 928
  • Persia Embassy.JPG
    Persia Embassy.JPG
    204.2 KB · Views: 1,232
  • Poor America.JPG
    Poor America.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 948
  • Poor America 2.JPG
    Poor America 2.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 909
  • Steam Power.JPG
    Steam Power.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 941
  • Ur Captured.JPG
    Ur Captured.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 971
Chapter IX: Military Advances and Rebellion​

The Celts had long been a militaristic empire with many great military minds, though the common officer would never get a chance to be great. To help find these "hidden" geniuses, the Celts constructed a Military Academy in Entremont. Officially part of the National University of Entremont, it specialized in training the future commanders and captains of the Celtic Army. The academy opened in time for the Fall Semester of the 727 school year.

********************​

Just 3 years after the construction of the Military Academy, the Celtic Engineer Corps competed the world's first railway. The railway was short in modern standards, though it connected two of the largest Celtic cities, Alesia and Entremont. This railway would just be the first of many railroads that the Celts would construct.

********************​

In 752 AD, the Celtic Armies struck the Sumerian city of Sumer. Sumer was a large port city that had been the site of first contact between the Celtic crew of the CDS Entremont and Sumerian diplomats. But this time, the Celts were not in the city for "pleasantries", but for Sumerian blood.

The first strikes were raids, led by Caractacus's Cavalry forces which successfully destroyed the city's outer barricades. But these were just raids. Orgetorix led the final drive at the city, in which many lives were lost on both sides. Orgetorix's now outdated Heavy Cavalry clashed with Sumerian Pikemen and Warriors trained specifically to kill horsemen. Well over 1500 Celts were killed before the city would finally fall.

********************​

The Celtic people had also been working on another project in addition to their first railroad, the irrigation of the Sahara Desert. Since the founding of Camulodunum, the Celts had been diverting water from the Nile into the desert in hopes of gaining more farmland, finally on September 14, 762 AD the last ditch was dug and the irrigation project was finally complete.

********************​

In 769 AD, years after the fall of Sumer, the people were all very discontent with their new Celtic rulers. And so they searched the countryside, evading Celtic patrols until they found an ancient Sumerian weapons cache. In this cache were pikes, the long spears that Sumerians had used effectively and often against the Celtic cavalry. Soon a rebellion began in the city.

Battles raged for weeks as Orgetorix's outclassed and outnumbered cavalry struggled to maintain control over the city. However, the narrow city streets prevented the Celts to use their horses effectively and the rebels continued to advance slowly. Weapons from the Sumerian government flowed into the city as the rebels took control of the harbor. Next, the city's walls fell to the rebels, who then prevented any aid from Caractacus's men to get into the city. The rebels forced Orgetorix to the city hall where a short battle between the remaining 200 Celts and now over 12000 rebels, would result in Orgetorix's death and the Sumerian reoccupation of the city.

********************​

Just a month later, the city of Cattaraugus also decided to rebel against the Celtic Government. The rebellion of Cattaraugus went much differently, as they only had 2000 Celts to kill and no reinforcements in range of the city. A merchant travelled to Leptis Magna where he purchased a shipload of rifles and 3 Carthaginian-made machine guns. The machine guns would prove vital as the Cavalry stationed in the city stood no challenge against enemies bearing such powerful weapons. Soon the city was secured by the rebels. To the surprise of nearly all Celtic diplomats, the city’s citizens handed control over to the Carthaginians. The Celts wished to take control of the city once more, but the absence of a large army in the area prevented that as an option.

********************​

Months after the defection of Sumer, Caractacus led a battle group to avenge the death of his friends in the city. Slaughtering the pathetic, overconfident guards of the city was no problem for the heavily-armed Celts who then torched the city. Several thousand Sumerians were killed in the blaze, and the rest were taken into slavery. The Celts were out for blood once more.

********************​

Vercingetorix also participated in avenging Orgetorix’s blood by attacking the Sumerian city of Lagesh. Lagesh was large, but its defenders were overwhelmed by the armored Celts who showed no mercy in capturing the city and executing its leaders. Just 800 Celts died in comparison to well over 5000 dead on the Sumerian side.

********************​

In the midst of the attacks on Sumeria, peace between the Celts and Iroquois was finally achieved as the Iroquois accepted the Celtic terms for peace. Included in these demands were massive war-payments that were meant to pay for all of the Celtic troops killed in the war. The KBS Entremont ceased firing at the announced hour and began its journey home with the Celtic diplomats and the first gold payment by the Iroquois.

********************​

Meanwhile, the Dutch discovered themselves at odds with the Persians in North America and declared war. Celtic Military Analysts wondered if they would do any better than the Americans had against the Aztecs. Many didn’t think so, though the Dutch Swiss Mercenaries would give the Persian Cavalry a decent challenge.

********************​

As the Dutch-Persian War began, the KBS Lugdunum attacked the Aztecs’ most powerful privateer warship. The two ships exchanged fire for several hours, though the powerful Celtic guns would prove superior to the smaller Aztec guns. Soon, the pirate vessel was burning and just an hour later, slipped beneath the seas. The Age of Aztec Piracy had begun its decline.

********************​

In 813 AD, the Sumerians and Celts met for the first time in many years without the intent to kill each other. Though the atmosphere of hate still lingered above the table, the two sides finally agreed to end the war with the Celts receiving yearly gold-payments. Though the Celts still wanted more, their armies were exhausted and far from home. Peace was finally upon the Celtic Empire.

********************​

Even though peace had been secured, the Celts met with Carthaginian leaders to discuss a trade of knowledge. This trade would give the Carthaginians knowledge of the world’s southernmost parts and a large amount of gold. But the Celts walked away with a valuable prize, the blueprints for a machine gun. Soon, the 1st Celtic Infantry Division was armed with these powerful weapons. The Celts, satisfied with their trade, continued to mass produce them.

********************​

But peace would not last for the Celts. Just a few years later, an Aztec Cavalry brigade plundered a small Celtic village on the border. The Celts demanded that the Aztecs pay for this offense. Aztec diplomats responded by saying “You want Aztec blood? Come and get it!” The Aztecs officially declared war one day later. Brennus then ordered the invasion of the Aztec Empire.

The war created ripples in the world diplomacy scene that would surprisingly result in several embargoes being signed by other nations against the Celts.

Attachments

• Military Academy.JPG
    Military Academy.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 897
  • First Railroad.JPG
    First Railroad.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 974
  • Aztec Declaration.JPG
    Aztec Declaration.JPG
    224 KB · Views: 927
  • Netherlands vs Persia.JPG
    Netherlands vs Persia.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 905
  • Sahara Irrigation.JPG
    Sahara Irrigation.JPG
    367.7 KB · Views: 938
  • Sumer Burns.JPG
    Sumer Burns.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 874
  • Sumer Captured.JPG
    Sumer Captured.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 896
Gratz on making it into the top100:)

Excellent Chapters!
Detailed battle descriptions give this a real historical atmosphere.:salute:

GJ with irrigating the Sahara:D ...kind of an achievement in the 8th century, huh? :goodjob:
I'm curious about how long the Dutch will manage to stand Persian attacks. Those mercenaries are pretty cool.

Seems there will be even more action to come, looking forward for the next session!:popcorn:

Top Bottom