FfH2 Bug Thread

I've got an "endless end turn" incident here ...

On turn 648, Sandalphon declares war on me ... dunno why, he was at +11 just some turns before .. maybe his way to say "I give up, kill me quick!?

However, as soon as I hit end turn now, nothing more happens for at least 10 minutes. (before that, turn generation was ~2.5 min).

Maybe someone could look into this - would be a shame to have to give up this game, 'cause it's really interesting at this point :sad:

thanks

PS: This is turn 644 and 648 zipped up ... :

Ah, it may be an infinate turn lock up, or it may just be Sandys 500-strong army on the march, or attacking you or an ally or something.

Either that or likely somebody has finished Genesis or The Deepening.

Give it a while, if normal turns were 2-5mins, I suggest waiting a good half hour for it to compute.

I've got an "endless end turn" incident here ...

On turn 648, Sandalphon declares war on me ... dunno why, he was at +11 just some turns before .. maybe his way to say "I give up, kill me quick!?

However, as soon as I hit end turn now, nothing more happens for at least 10 minutes. (before that, turn generation was ~2.5 min).

Maybe someone could look into this - would be a shame to have to give up this game, 'cause it's really interesting at this point :sad:

thanks

That is a BIG BIG file, 1.43 M. I doubt I can fix it. I'll take a look, but first try running it in the background for a while while you do something else and see if the turn ends after 30 minutes or so.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Ah, it may be ...
... an infinate turn lock up,
or it may just be Sandys 500-strong army on the march, or attacking you or an ally or something.

Don't have an ally, and Sandy only has 6 cities, and maybe 50, but surely not 500 units (loaded WB).

Give it a while, if normal turns were 2-5mins, I suggest waiting a good half hour for it to compute.

Actually, it took 38 minutes, and I had to run Civ in windowed mode, and set it to lowest priority in the Taskmanager ... (there are actually moments where multi-core CPUs do make sense ;) - now if I only had one :rolleyes: )

OK, I think I figured it out:
Perpe attacked and killed Hybo .. over a river, into a city ... most likely using up his full stack of maybe several hundred units.
Joke 'bout it is - Perpe turned Ashen Veil, and summoned Hybo himself some time ago. Looks like he had to find out that hell ain't that fun as he thought it is :p

Sorry for causing a commotion over nothing :mischief:

Here is a fixed Unitinfos.xml file to take care of the Sons of Asena exploding/Pyre Zombies not exploding issue. Just unzip and copy this xml file over the existing one in the FFH2 Assets/XML/Units directory

Attachments

• CIV4UnitInfos.zip
    90.4 KB · Views: 4,265
Don't have an ally, and Sandy only has 6 cities, and maybe 50, but surely not 500 units (loaded WB).

Actually, it took 38 minutes, and I had to run Civ in windowed mode, and set it to lowest priority in the Taskmanager ... (there are actually moments where multi-core CPUs do make sense ;) - now if I only had one :rolleyes: )

OK, I think I figured it out:
Perpe attacked and killed Hybo .. over a river, into a city ... most likely using up his full stack of maybe several hundred units.
Joke 'bout it is - Perpe turned Ashen Veil, and summoned Hybo himself some time ago. Looks like he had to find out that hell ain't that fun as he thought it is :p

Sorry for causing a commotion over nothing :mischief:

Please don't be sorry! I think that the reporting potential bugs has been a HUGE help to the FfH effort!

Best wishes,

Breunor

41o
The pedia says they generate no maintenance cost but Kurioate Settlements do cost maintenance, for a time. The cost is seen in the city screen at founding and eventually the cost drops to zero to stays.

I'm fairly certain that # of settlements add to the # of cities maintenance. Is this untrue?

Normal maintenance must be paid for Kuriotate settlements until Cartography is researched. After that their maintenance costs drop to zero.

I think they they do count toward number of cities in calculating the maintenance costs paid in the normal cities, but I haven't played them in a while so I'm not certain.

Good ideas to try out so I did.
When you first add a settlement you pay "city" maintenance on that settlement... until your next tech discovery. It doesn't seem to matter what the tech is but as it is discovered the maintenance cost reduces to 0.00. Connecting roads, garrisoning don't affect this maintenance cost.
Upon tech discovery all maintenance costs for that settlement go to 0.00 and there is no cost for "number of cities" from settlements (mouseover City Maintenance in Financial Advisor).
I've attached a save to check this out. First Settlement Naggornd is at 0.00 (Currency). Second Settlement Avelorn is still showing a maintenance of 2.34 since it's founding. When Ancient Chants is discovered on the next turn it's maintenance goes to 0.00. "Number of cities" cost goes to 0 as well.

Here is a fixed Unitinfos.xml file to take care of the Sons of Asena exploding/Pyre Zombies not exploding issue. Just unzip and copy this xml file over the existing one in the FFH2 Assets/XML/Units directory

Thanks Tholal! The game seems to be working pretty well otherwise, this fix is very useful!

Best wishes,

Breunor

I managed to kill poor Loki with an undeclared bear. Why didn't he flee?
ref: ...0193a file

Also, I killed Hyborem once, and he resurrected in Dis. Then a few turns later, when I killed him again, he died for good. Doesn't the immortal promotion mean the has to be killed twice in the same turn?
ref: 0211a file

Loki moves into Angostendil on his turn, and then your bear attacks and kills him. Loki cannot retreat when defending in a city.

The Immortal unit has the ability "Resurrected in the civilization's capital if killed", and so must be killed twice in the same turn to be permanently destroyed. Hyborem does not. The first time he is killed he returns in his capital; his next death is permanent.

1- Is the fact that "CTRL + #" does not work for some patches now can be considered as a bug?
Is there any workaround, as it is very annoying to look for lost heroes (especially Grigori...), workers, etc... especially on huge maps?

2- I use a Alienware M17x-r2, W7 64b, 8Mb DDR3 1333 RAM, Quad i7-920XM Extreme Edition 2.00GHz, CrossfireX Dual 1GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5870 . Not a slow machine by any means. However, it takes up from 90 to 270 seconds between turns, in late game, huge map, 22 civs.
Can it be considered as normal (I mean: when comparing to what others are experiencing) ?

3- Erebus maps, I play at Deity level, starting with 23 civilizations, Barbarian world, aggressive AI. After about 500 turms of various wars, the AI NEVER did a single sea invasion, on me or any other nations. I am at war with many nations, isolated (mountains cut access from land), and with a single warrior in my cities as I "know" that even at Deity level, the enemy will send gallions with no one on board...
I should have been wiped out 100s of turns ago !
It is obvious that the tricky sea invasion implemented in Civ/BTS 3.17 and 3.19 is inactive here.
Any workaround ?

1- Is the fact that "CTRL + #" does not work for some patches now can be considered as a bug?
Is there any workaround, as it is very annoying to look for lost heroes (especially Grigori...), workers, etc... especially on huge maps?

Not sure, as I've never "lost" a hero. Are you using automate? Or is it more a fortify-and-forget scenario? You can always use the combat/unit overview to find all units of a certain type (easy for heroes) or expand the list to find a specific unit. Never used Ctrl # shortcut to know how much easier it is/was by comparison.

2- I use a Alienware M17x-r2, W7 64b, 8Mb DDR3 1333 RAM, Quad i7-920XM Extreme Edition 2.00GHz, CrossfireX Dual 1GB GDDR5 ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5870 . Not a slow machine by any means. However, it takes up from 90 to 270 seconds between turns, in late game, huge map, 22 civs.
Can it be considered as normal (I mean: when comparing to what others are experiencing) ?

Sounds similar to my rig, with better gfx than mine. Some turns, when particularly intensive events take place (like AI stacks of doom clashing, with 200-300 attacks taking place on each side, some global events/rituals, or Basium/Hyborem entering the game), can take that long. Most are just a few seconds for me, though. I have offensive attack animations off, and don't follow enemy or friendly movement, so maybe that's it?
3- Erebus maps, I play at Deity level, starting with 23 civilizations, Barbarian world, aggressive AI. After about 500 turms of various wars, the AI NEVER did a single sea invasion, on me or any other nations. I am at war with many nations, isolated (mountains cut access from land), and with a single warrior in my cities as I "know" that even at Deity level, the enemy will send gallions with no one on board...
I should have been wiped out 100s of turns ago !
It is obvious that the tricky sea invasion implemented in Civ/BTS 3.17 and 3.19 is inactive here.
Any workaround ?

The modmods are your best bet for this. Naval AI was broken in the vanilla game a number of patches ago. Check out RifE, Orbis, or Wildmana, I think they all address this issue, along with adding a lot more. Or Tholal has a nice little mod that doesn't change much beyond the naval AI here.

Thank you Clearbeard !

No, I have never actually "lost" heroes, rather often forgot where they are on the map... I always play huge maps, and tend to disseminate my heroes (especially the numerous Grigori heroes...) anywhere on the map...
I use a lot ctrl+# in all strategy and war games that support this function (Blitzkrieg series, Sudden Strike series, Company of Heroes series, American Conquest... and Civ 1/2/3/4/5...)
Using Ctrl+# allows me in FFH to
- keep track of my automated recon units (ctrl+0)
- jump immediately where my heroes or main stacks are, especially in late games where I often fight several wars in opposite sectors (ctrl+4/5/6/7/8/9...)
- follow quickly what a stack or 2 or more workers are doing (ctrl+1/2/3/4)
It speeds up the game dramatically when, like me, you want to jump quickly to your key pieces.
It is also essential in multiplayer when you want to save time for looking at your most important units and time is limited...
I forgot to mention that I also play Epic or Marathon games... after 40 hours and numerous turns, gaining a few seconds jumping straight to a location on the map becomes very valuable...
In short, for a given type of player, using ctrl+# is a huge comfort factor...

For the speed, I saw that the quality of the graphic card does nothing (much). After all it is a pretty static game, but with lots of calculations. I guess there is a lot of database-like tasks in the background, i.e. with a lot of calculation/reading/writing. Perhaps a better disk configuration (I am on RAID 1) could help. I think having a RAID 0 or better: a Solid State Disk can help more than a super huge graphic system...
I am also unsure about Civ's ability to use correctly multithreads, multiprocessors, and having a quad or a sex processor: not sure if it matters much.
Besides, I agree that having 22 civs with 18 of them at war should make thousands of micro-battles in a turn... ooops....

Great idea for the modmods...
I am going to try Tholal's mod in my next 40 hours game. It seems to be exactly what is needed for being punished at deity level (am I crazy ??!...).

Thank you again Clearbeard !

Sadly, Civ4 is only single threaded, so the best performing CPU for the game is a dualcore Intel Core i3 or i5, which can be overclocked pretty easily to 4+ GHz.

Top Bottom