(9/9/2005)New Unit: Firestar Attack Spacefighter

Sword_Of_Geddon

Arbiter of the Sword
Heres my first true unit, not made from parts of other units.

I downloaded the module I used to make the unit on Renderosity, from their freebee section(great site btw). So a thankyou goes to whoever made that module.

I made the death and run animations in Poser, the attack was made in Paintshop Pro, and the Bombs animation you can thank Bjorn for(thankyou Bjorn), as well as the Deathglider sounds which I felt were fitting for this. The laser sound is Neomega's, so thanks go to him as well. I made this to get my feet wet, to get the hang of poser's animation system. I hope everyone likes it.

This unit is ment to be an air unit btw.

Attachments

• Firestar.jpg
    Firestar.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 891
  • Firestar.zip
    248.6 KB · Views: 375
:) I think you should make them yourself :D... patience, is the key..... no one learned anything overnight ;)

You're very welcome. I'm glad you found use for my stuff.
I agree with bhiita, you should add the lasers yourself. I know what a pain it can be getting started. But you learn stuff on the way.
I suggest you make the lasers within Poser. Even if you have to later re-color them in a paint program. A 3d program such as Poser, Bryce, c4d, etc is better at plotting the flight-line of the lasers, and so they will ultimately be of a higher quality then can easily be achieved via C&P

And of course:
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Congratulations on your first unit.

Good stuff:
Interesting unit. Always good to have more spaceships.
Good scale (has a cool wasp like feel due to the small size)
Interesting death.... 'shrivel up and poof'

Suggestions:
If you look at one of my space ships you will see how they seem to float a little. This is achieved by creating an anchor point at frame 1 and 16 (0 and 15). And then advance to frame 4 and move it some direction (any will do). Do the same for frame 12.
Use slightly different moves for default, fidget and run.
Subtle movements work best.
For run, just moving it up and down is usually enough. So for frame 4 make it Y -1 and for frame 12, Y +1 creating a net movement of 2 units of measurement.
Having the frame 1 and 16 the same for every animation ensures that there is continuity from one animation to the next, and that if an animation must run more then once, it will loop well.
For default, very little movement. maybe x+1 & z-1, for frame 4 and x-1 and z+1 for frame 12...
For fidget, just a little more movement. maybe x+1 & z-1, for frame 4 and x-1 and z+1 frame 12... plus add just a hint of rocking. I find space ships look best when they rock away from their drift. So as it drifts slightly left, it will lean with the cabin away from the drift and the bottom towards it. The reverse style of rocking creates a pendulum effect which is distracting.
I'm sure you know that your place holder lasers are fairly crooked. You may (if you wish) C&P the lasers from one of my units while you work on rendering your own.
Note that the Unit of measurement I listed means nothing. It was just to make my examples easier to understand. The actual numbers you use will vary depending on the scale used by your render program. The size of your unit, and so on. The important thing to remember is subtle movements work best.... except for the death sequence of course.

Looks like an X-wing merged with a pterosaur. Cool unit BTW.

Top Bottom