New unit - coracle

dog

Selous Scout
I took Kal-el's .PCX of the default coracle (from AoE I think - thanks Kal-el!) and made 3 flics. Default, run and death. I'm using it as an ancient naval transport so I did not make an attack flic. It's been game tested looks pretty decent. If anyone wants to make icon pics feel free to. If anyone wants to make an attack flic, once again feel free. Ditto for preview .gif. I lost Animation Shop when my motherboard fried last summer and haven't re-installed it yet.

Hope someone can find a use for it...

Attachments

• coracle.zip
    43.9 KB · Views: 837
Here ya go.

Kentonio

Attachments

• coraclerun.gif
    coraclerun.gif
    26.2 KB · Views: 3,993
I like it, but's it's not really a Coracle. Someone had a link to a Coracle builder in the UK, and they're more like a big soup bowl that sits in the water. Round and very small. This is more like an Egyptian reed boat, whatever they were called. Good work though, I'll try to fit it into my mod.

Yeah, I know it's not a real coracle (I saw that same link you're referring to Willem...) but I didn't know what else to call it. Besides...Kal-el called it a coracle/fishing boat and I preferred "coracle" over "fishing boat." Who would download a "fishing boat??" :lol:

Originally posted by dog
Yeah, I know it's not a real coracle (I saw that same link you're referring to Willem...) but I didn't know what else to call it. Besides...Kal-el called it a coracle/fishing boat and I preferred "coracle" over "fishing boat." Who would download a "fishing boat??" :lol:

Yes, I've been having a similar problem. I've been wanting an early sea unit, but don't know what to call it. I'm using the Chinese Junk as a transport vessel (which I've named Coracle), and my Caravel is an offensive ship. I just don't know of any other ship's name for the era, other than the Caravel.

Originally posted by Willem

Yes, I've been having a similar problem. I've been wanting an early sea unit, but don't know what to call it. I'm using the Chinese Junk as a transport vessel (which I've named Coracle), and my Caravel is an offensive ship. I just don't know of any other ship's name for the era, other than the Caravel.

http://www.deremilitari.org/runyan.htm

Re: the Anglo-French Battle of Sluys (1340):

"The list of vessels includes 965 which are not identified by type. The remainder are identified by type as follows: 1 buss, 2 flunes, 2 galiots, 2 hulks, 3 doggers, 3 lodships, 5 crayers, 5 spinaces, 6 galleys, 7 carracks, 12 barges, 12 nefs, 13 tarites, 19 boats, 46 ships, and 187 cogs. This last vessel, the very important cog, constitutes 57 percent of the 325 vessels identified by type. Working vessels such as barges only constitute 3.7 percent of those identified and balingers are not even mentioned in this survey"

Furthermore, from:

http://www.chronique.com/Library/Glossaries/glossary-KCT/gloss_c.htm

"Cog: A naval vessel developed c. 1300 by the Hanseatic League, broadbeamed, high walled, the cog was stable and well suited to both trade and war. It was the favorite warship if the 14th century, playing a prominent role in the Hundred Years War, particularly at the Battle of Sluys. "

See also:

http://www.sint-lodewijkscollege.be/hanza/ship/shipcont.htm

"Google" & "Alltheweb" away!

Best,

Oz

Yah, a cog would be nice and very important for any mod on the Crusades, due to the fact it was the main transport used by the Europeans at the time.

Top Bottom