Unit requests thread

Requested 2 Units - Pict Brave & Pict Champion - Concepts

The Pict Brave and Pict Champion can be created off the same model. The later will have armour and helmet, but other than that, will be exactly the same unit. The Champion is the upgrade of the Brave.

This is a dueal wielding 'two-sword' unit. There does not appear to be a two-sword unit anywhere on here, and I have looked very hard, so I guess this will be the first. I did create one 'Pict Brave' already, from a duel weilding axeman, but ideally I would like this unit to be a dual wielding swords master. Also, I am not happy with my current Pict Brave as he seems a bit hunched over like a hunchback.

I am not sure how possible this unit will be, due to animations and all, but I feel it would be an awesome unit, and not just for the Picts! If I had a PC, I would try and create this unit myself. Unfortuenately this is not possible for me on a Mac.

It may be possible to take the vanilla swordsman, and ambrox62's Brit Swordsman, and combine using the Brit swordsman's smaller sword, leg armour, shoulder armour and helmet and put on the vanilla swordsman base. But maybe that is too hard. Ideally, it would be nice to see a Pictish sword, but that may be asking way too much

http://img405.imageshack.us/g/pictbrave.jpg/
Maybe you can use this unit for your Champion:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12430
Further I made an amazon unit that uses a two-handed-sword. Of course the model might not be usable for you, but maybe you can also use the maceman animation like I did for my unit.

Maybe you can use this unit for your Champion:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12430
Further I made an amazon unit that uses a two-handed-sword. Of course the model might not be usable for you, but maybe you can also use the maceman animation like I did for my unit.

Thanks. :)

I have seen the Highland swordsman unit before. Not what I am looking for. He uses a great two-handed sword, such as a Claymore. For the Civ I am building, what I am looking for is two seperate short swords, one in each hand, as per the link for the concept: http://img405.imageshack.us/g/pictbrave.jpg/

The Picts did not use two-handed great swords, so it doesn't really fit the Civ I am creating.

Thanks. :)

I have seen the Highland swordsman unit before. Not what I am looking for. He uses a great two-handed sword, such as a Claymore. For the Civ I am building, what I am looking for is two seperate short swords, one in each hand, as per the link for the concept: http://img405.imageshack.us/g/pictbrave.jpg/

The Picts did not use two-handed great swords, so it doesn't really fit the Civ I am creating.
Ah, looking at the posted images helps sometimes... :blush:

Only other idea I have is to give the Viking Berserker swords instead of axes. Or maybe you could use the Archer's melee animation, using swords instead of knifes.

I swore I saw a Japanese zero model on this site a while ago, but now I cannot seem to find it.

Does anyone know of the location?

Troy
I know it is in Cultural Diversity, which is no longer supported by its creator, but I don't know if the model is available seperately.

Only other idea I have is to give the Viking Berserker swords instead of axes.

For the Pict Brave I have at the moment, I used a unit with two axes and the berserker animation... works ok... but still not really what I am looking for. Its the blue unit in the link.

Or maybe you could use the Archer's melee animation, using swords instead of knifes.

I like that idea! :) Wonder if that would work? Could the animation work with the vanilla swordsman, or would it have to work only with the archer?

I like that idea! :) Wonder if that would work? Could the animation work with the vanilla swordsman, or would it have to work only with the archer?
Might work, but there might be some glitches because the bone structure might differ. The easiest way should be using the archer model with swords instead of knifes, which should be a simple nifswap of weapons. If you don't like the archer model, that one can always be swapped via Blender.

Might work, but there might be some glitches because the bone structure might differ. The easiest way should be using the archer model with swords instead of knifes, which should be a simple nifswap of weapons. If you don't like the archer model, that one can always be swapped via Blender.

Hey SaibotLieh. Had a close look at the Archer animations in battle, and they would be perfect, except maybe if with long swords, there may be some glitches as the swords go through his own arms. But if not, it would be perfect!! Maybe the swords could be even shorter, like the Roman Gladius?? As the archer puts away his bow and draws out his knives, he pulls them from his back, so there is the potential of having the swords on the units back, until drawn. That might look cool. Although walking around with two swords in hands also looks good.

If it is possible to attach the animations to other units of simular stature, I think Sepamu92's 'Celtic Scout' would be great for the iron age 'Pict Brave' with loin cloth. I have used this unit in my Mod for the 'Pict Scout'. Ambrox62's 'Brit Swordsman' has smaller and nicer swords, and good looking shoulder armour than the vanilla swordsman, and would look great as the 'Pict Champion' or 'Swordsmaster' (swordsmaster sounds better :) ).

I did a little photoshop image to show what the units could look like IF they where to work, and IF someone was interested enough to take this on:

http://img863.imageshack.us/g/swordmaster.jpg/

Unfortuneately I only have a Mac, and while I can open blender and view figures, nifskope does not work on a Mac. So I will have to stick to what I do best (graphics) and just hope someone has the time and interest to create these two units. I think they would be a great addition to any Civ.

If someone does take this on, I would certainly help in anyway I could, though other than creating the skins, not sure how I could help. Maybe exchange for some skinning of another unit?

Hey SaibotLieh. Had a close look at the Archer animations in battle, and they would be perfect, except maybe if with long swords, there may be some glitches as the swords go through his own arms. But if not, it would be perfect!! Maybe the swords could be even shorter, like the Roman Gladius?? As the archer puts away his bow and draws out his knives, he pulls them from his back, so there is the potential of having the swords on the units back, until drawn. That might look cool. Although walking around with two swords in hands also looks good.

If it is possible to attach the animations to other units of simular stature, I think Sepamu92's 'Celtic Scout' would be great for the iron age 'Pict Brave' with loin cloth. I have used this unit in my Mod for the 'Pict Scout'. Ambrox62's 'Brit Swordsman' has smaller and nicer swords, and good looking shoulder armour than the vanilla swordsman, and would look great as the 'Pict Champion' or 'Swordsmaster' (swordsmaster sounds better :) ).

I did a little photoshop image to show what the units could look like IF they where to work, and IF someone was interested enough to take this on:

http://img863.imageshack.us/g/swordmaster.jpg/

Unfortuneately I only have a Mac, and while I can open blender and view figures, nifskope does not work on a Mac. So I will have to stick to what I do best (graphics) and just hope someone has the time and interest to create these two units. I think they would be a great addition to any Civ.

If someone does take this on, I would certainly help in anyway I could, though other than creating the skins, not sure how I could help. Maybe exchange for some skinning of another unit?
I've put a unit together with Blender. It uses the standard archer animations.

I hope it looks like you imagined. :)

Attachments

• two_swords_warrior.zip
    70.6 KB · Views: 50

WOW brilliant, I will check this out. Won't get a chance to look at in detail till tonight. WOW thanks for doing that!!

Hi guys, :king:J_mie6 and :king:SaibothLieh,

After my few weeks break, I've put together my first Eurasian/East European (Hun/Hungarian) renaissance warlord. :)
Thanx for SaibothLieh's tutorial:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9203025&postcount=3534

(I used the "normal" renaissance warlord's movement with the skin of the Hungarian musketman. This musketman originally had an independent head, that's why the head and the body are not one mesh)

But there is a thing what I couldn't fix yet: (please see my first attached picture)

Do you know why the skin of the body is fully team-coloured (green)?
Although, the relevant files are in the right folder.

I have tried to do something in Nifscope by change of the setting of the .nif file, but I'm not sure what's the source of this problem.
Nevertheless, I know, if I change the shader line value to "no" in the .nif file's NiTriShape details (see the second picture) the body would be invisible in the Game. Even though in Nifscope looks everithing fine... :confused:

Actually, what's the difference between the shader and nonshader units? I mean the file system and Nifscope setting?

May I ask :bowdown: you or someone to clear this up for me, please? :)

Attachments

• Hun Warlord2.jpg
    Hun Warlord2.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 115
  • Hun Warlord NIF3.jpg
    Hun Warlord NIF3.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 110
And some file differences like xxx.nif and xxx_fx.nif or xxx.dds or xxx_gloss.dds are also not really clear...
:hammer2:

First the easy one. ;)
And some file differences like xxx.nif and xxx_fx.nif or xxx.dds or xxx_gloss.dds are also not really clear...
:hammer2:
xxx.nif are the unshadered units, xxx_fx.nif the shadered ones. xxx.dds are the skin artwork files with teamcolor/transparency information in the alpha channel. xxx_gloss.dds are the files for the gloss (shiny) information. Most of the time they are in greyscale. The brighter, the brigher will that part will shin. Just open the files of known units and you should get the idea how they work. :) Further, these tutorials might help:
Skinning for Beginners
Adding Teamcolor to Units in 5 steps
Hi guys, :king:J_mie6 and :king:SaibothLieh,

After my few weeks break, I've put together my first Eurasian/East European (Hun/Hungarian) renaissance warlord. :)
Thanx for SaibothLieh's tutorial:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9203025&postcount=3534

(I used the "normal" renaissance warlord's movement with the skin of the Hungarian musketman. This musketman originally had an independent head, that's why the head and the body are not one mesh)

But there is a thing what I couldn't fix yet: (please see my first attached picture)

Do you know why the skin of the body is fully team-coloured (green)?
Although, the relevant files are in the right folder.

I have tried to do something in Nifscope by change of the setting of the .nif file, but I'm not sure what's the source of this problem.
Nevertheless, I know, if I change the shader line value to "no" in the .nif file's NiTriShape details (see the second picture) the body would be invisible in the Game. Even though in Nifscope looks everithing fine... :confused:

Actually, what's the difference between the shader and nonshader units? I mean the file system and Nifscope setting?

May I ask :bowdown: you or someone to clear this up for me, please? :)
The problem here is that you have mixed the settings for a nonshadered and for a shadered unit.

For a nonshadered unit, you need these settings for all meshes:

For the NiTriShape details:

- Has Shader - no

For the NiTexturingProperty details:

- Has Base Texture - yes
The respective NiSourceTexture must be named TeamColor.bmp if you want to have that mesh display teamcolor, otherwise it should be named the mesh's artwork dds (e.g. spearman_128.dds)

- Has Gloss Texture - yes (if a xxx_gloss.dds is available)
The respective NiSourceTexture must be named the mesh's gloss dds (e.g. spearman_128_gloss.dds)

- Has Decal 0 Texture - yes (if the mesh displays teamcolor)
The respective NiSourceTexture must be named the mesh's artwork dds (e.g. spearman_128.dds)

NiSkinInstance should contain no NiSkinPartition (delete it if necessary)

----------------

For a shadered unit, you need these settings for the meshes that should be shadered:

For the NiTriShape details:

- Has Shader - yes

- Shader Name - TCiv4Skinning (with teamcolor), TCiv4SkinningGloss (with gloss and teamcolor), TCiv4SkinningNoTeamColor (with transparency and without teamcolor)

- Unknown Integer - -1

For the NiTexturingProperty details:

- Has Base Texture - yes
The respective NiSourceTexture must be named the mesh's artwork dds (e.g. spearman_128.dds)

- Has Gloss Texture - yes (if a xxx_gloss.dds is available)
The respective NiSourceTexture must be named the mesh's gloss dds (e.g. spearman_128_gloss.dds)

- Has Glow Texture - yes (if a xxx_gloss.dds is available)
The respective NiSourceTexture must be the Environment Light's NiSourceTexture
Spoiler :

- Has Decal 0 Texture - no

NiSkinInstance should contain a NiSkinPartition. If that one is missing, you can creation one with NifSkope:
Spoiler :

If the mesh has no NiSkinInstance, it can't be shadered

----------------

So, to come back to your unit, I think you can solve the problem by renaming the entry of your Base Texture from teamcolor.bmp to chinese_swordsman128.dds and changing your Has Decal 0 Texture from yes to no.

Attachments

• spearman.jpg
    spearman.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 505
  • spearman_02.jpg
    spearman_02.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 494
Could somebody do this?

:help::confused:

Actually, one could....if they had the model and skin from CivV. (Now that would be a real twist! A CivV unit being ported to CivIV as opposed to the usual CivV unit "moder" practice of simply porting all the best CivIV user created units to CivV.)

I am not sure, but 2K/Firaxis may not like the idea of doing this. Especially with this new system of Steam/DLC and that unit is from the Polynesian Civ5 DLC, isn't it?

Thank You for the very big help SaibotLieh!! :thumbsup::)

I definitely will try it as soon as I can, and I'll tell you the result.

Would it be possible for anyone to modify this C-130 into an AC-130?

I'd like it to do the "Intercept" (just circling around) animation during its attack. I don't necessarily need/want muzzle flashes.

EDIT: By "this" I meant the one here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=5788

Hey SaibotLieh!! Finally got to check this unit out at the weekend after a disaster with my computer dieing... :( bought a new mac now, and thankfully had made a recent back up, so not too much lost. :crazyeye:

Wow, this unit works pretty good with the archer animation in play, and I think the unit would be a great addition to many early Civs. :goodjob:

I noticed a couple of glitches with him though and so played about re-skinning him and then could clearly see where the glitches are (pics below). Mainly in fortified position, his neck shows through the shoulder armor. Also, there seems to be a glitch with shoulder armour and the chest area.

I also came up with some feedback on how the Unit could be improved a little, if it is at all possible.

1: While the two swords look great, they seem quite big for the animations and this particular unit when in battle... So, I got to thinking about the swords themselves. They are obviously Claymores, great big heavy swords. I thought about a sword that would be smaller and therfore more appropriate for a unit of speed such as this dual wielding sword warrior using the archer animation. I also thought about the Pictish tribes and the fact that their lighter swords were more like the Roman Gladius... they did not use big swords. So I wondered if the Gladius might look and work better as the swords for this particular unit, as it may be easy to copy them from the Roman Praetorian unit rather than creating a brand new sword.

I wonder, if this is possible, could the Roman Gladius also be scaled down a little in size to make the swords shorter. Usually the dual-swords fighting system would use two shorter swords as they are easier to wield. Also, as eye candy, this would look better and faster when used in conjunction with the archer animations.

2: The unit carries swords in hand in Idle position, then when you select the unit to fortify or defend, he reaches behind him to grab the swords from invisible scabbards on his back, even though he already has the swords in hand. After pondering about this, i wondered if it would be possible to have the swords in visible scabbards on his back while in idle position, then, when in action, he grabs them from behind and they are now in his hands. Not sure how possible that would be, but think it would look cool. What do you think?

Question: the unit looks a little boxy compared with other units. Can this be smoothed out a bit, or is that a difficult process... I think the original archer was quite a boxy looking unit.

Thanks again for putting that together SaibotLieh!! :)

Attachments

• shoulder glitch2.png
    shoulder glitch2.png
    101.2 KB · Views: 165
  • Swordsmaster right side.png
    Swordsmaster right side.png
    233.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Swordsmaster front.png
    Swordsmaster front.png
    233 KB · Views: 105
  • Swordsmaster with gladius.png
    Swordsmaster with gladius.png