SGOTM 13 - One Short Straw

I'm following the discussion but have not been able to test or open any saves. LC's plan sounds good though. If Ras is still having internet issues, does it make sense for LC to play now and Ras to take the next turnset?

I'm following the discussion but have not been able to test or open any saves. LC's plan sounds good though. If Ras is still having internet issues, does it make sense for LC to play now and Ras to take the next turnset?

Well if LC wanna play i am fine with it myself. It's frustrating to not being able to participate except the lurking at work. The hotline of my web provider is a PITA!!! :mad: I am not sure when the problem will be fixed. Could be tomorow, could be next week :(

I like the new LC's variant building Oracle in gold city/settling on marble. (though I dislike skipping gold as city 2 for oracle in Paris...)

pyramids: I think the best city to do it is Paris (provided the oracles goes either in marble or gold city). Stone city looks too small to land a decent date imo.

edit: it would be good to run longer tests LC, to see how building the Oracle in gold city impacts the gpp production (in my test, gold city gives the second GS). The major reason not to build the oracle in gold city was GS generation and getting more beakers out of the gold by building library there.

In other words, an early Fur City basically pays for hunting entirely, by 1500BC, and profits with +1 city!!!

Only if we get the Oracle :lol: If we miss it by one turn on the other side :mischief: ( you tryed your variant with stone as city 4th and say it doesn't work because of worker turns, I don't get it since furs need worker turns too... maybe I will getting opening the saves tonight!)

Well if LC wanna play i am fine with it myself. It's frustrating to not being able to participate except the lurking at work.
Well, if we're agreed on Writing long enough to defog the Marble tile, then I could just do that. That might change things anyway.

I like the new LC's variant building Oracle in gold city/settling on marble. (though I dislike skipping gold as city 2 for oracle in Paris...)
I don't understand what you mean by "(though I dislike skipping gold as city 2 for oracle in Paris...)". :confused:

edit: it would be good to run longer tests LC, to see how building the Oracle in gold city impacts the gpp production (in my test, gold city gives the second GS). The major reason not to build the oracle in gold city was GS generation and getting more beakers out of the gold by building library there.
I think Gold City will get its library quite soon, with 3 food tiles. As for gpps, the pool is polluted, but we could use Pigs and Marble instead, in addition to Paris. I'm a bit burnt out on testing, to be honest.

I don't understand what you mean by "(though I dislike skipping gold as city 2 for oracle in Paris...)". :confused:

I was refering to this:

I tried early Stone City + Oracle in Paris.

i was thinking you settled the marble with Orleans rather than the gold (and stone after that). Maybe I am off since I couldn't opened a save yet :).

About the worker: do u prefer furs over stone because of the longer transport needed?

trying to be more clear: you proposed to build the Oracle in the gold city to shave off a max of turns. I think that's a good move for the sake of safety. It seems to me that settling the furs city before the stone one delays the Oracle by a turn, and there is nothing we can do about it except going for the stone first and settling furs once we have done PH -> hunting.

I'm a bit burned out reading about testing... ;)

Ras, it's up to you if you want to be swapped. You don't need an internet connection to play, but it sure helps.

I agree to have someone (LC?) research Writing while debugging the marble area.

Well playing has no point if it's not live ;) I guess LC should go through writing! (at which date do u reach it? usually it's 1900 for me but it is possible to shave a turn iirc)

@burnt out: you started it, remember? ;)

edit: anyway I am off till tmr prolly so good luck to LC for the turns if he plays tonight! :)

I think LC's plan is to switch from partial Writing to Hunting unless there is seafood in the fog around the marble, so LC would only be playing a turn or two to explore.

Edit: We'd need a bit more of a PPP if he were to play more than that I think.

Only if we get the Oracle :lol: If we miss it by one turn on the other side :mischief: ( you tryed your variant with stone as city 4th and say it doesn't work because of worker turns, I don't get it since furs need worker turns too... maybe I will getting opening the saves tonight!)
Well, the only faster Oracle I've seen was beelining it in Paris and that practically kills our REX.

Fur City wkr-turns are perfect:
- gold mined and roaded
- immediately transported to camp and road one fur (1t idle on galley)
- immediately transported to chop forest
- chop done on the last turn possible without delaying the Oracle
- wkr/galley ready for transport to pigs, stone, or marble chop

Stone City wkr-turns are all messed up:
- gold mined and roaded
- immediately transported to stone (2t idle on galley)
- wkr still quarrying/roading stone when chop is needed for the ORacle... :thumbsdown:

Three-turn PPP

This is what I would propose we do, because I don't see any good alternatives. I don't think we want to research AH next, and we don't need to decide about Mysticism or Hunting in the next three turns, even if we decide to switch to them, because the next settler won't be ready in time to use either one anyway.

T69 <enter>

T70
wb-gold-nw mv N-S (almost certainly dead-end), else NW
wb-gold-s, if wb-nw dead-end, mv E-SE, else W-E
wb-e mv NW, defogs 2clam site, then eastward, Vickie-ward

T71
galley 2W w/settler+wkr, build lh

T72
0% research
wb-gold-s defogs marble tile
galley defogs western two tiles

<STOP>

I'm OK with LC's plan for the next 3 turns, but from a GP persepctive building the Oracle in gold city is almost as bad as building it in the capital. I think we would be better of risking the Oracle than sacrificing a GP.

I'd also kinda prefer to build it in the marble city, for that reason. The main strengths of LC's approach right now are in better worker logistics and earlier fur (though I'm not sure how essential the earlier access to the happy really is). Not sure we can make those up, but it's still open to testing.

PPP's fine. :thumbsup:

Okay. In the interest of moving this along, I'll assume that ungy and any others have no strong objection to defogging those tiles.

Done. Save uploaded. Basically, nothing of note. There is a coastal connection to the SW of Gold City. That's it.

Updated test save.

Demo screenshots.

Attachments

• OSS SG13 Test Game BC-2200 SG13 T72 UPDATED TEST SAVE.CivBeyondSwordSave
    134.7 KB · Views: 54
OK. So nothing major has changed. We have one proposal on the table from LC (post 793):

Oracle/MC in Gold City T105 1375BC (1400BC game log)

Research: hunting-writing-myst-masonry-medit-priest (poly instead of medit 1t later)
Cities: Gold-Fur-Marble (on the marble)
No foreign trade routes used​

Does someone else have a test game that they would like to put forward? There has been some discussion about NOT building the Oracle in Gold. Where do we put it and what is our Oracle date? Are we all agreed on Oracling Metal Casting?

Top Bottom