The Sword of Islam 0.3.4 Discussion

embryodead

Caliph
A new version of the mod has been released on 31-May-2011. Please use this thread for all kinds of feedback, bug reports etc. related to SoI 0.3.4.x.

Download SoI 0.3.4.1 Installer from Sourceforge.
There is also a 7-zipped version available for those who cannot use the installer.

Note: The download has been updated to 0.3.4.1, fixing one Python error. If you already installed version 0.3.4 from May 31st, you can use this small patch to upgrade your version to 0.3.4.1.

This patch consists largely of numerous bugfixes and gameplay tweaks. Additionally there is the new Religious Victory and a related Great Saint effect. I can only say that Religious Victory works, but at this point I have no idea whether the conditions are realistic / achievable.

Detailed patch notes:
Spoiler :

- Fixed the Python error that prevented Sur from being named correctly

General changes
- Added Religious Victory (State Religion + Holy City + 65-80% Influence depending on Religion)
- Added a new Great Saint ability: spread state religion to up to 6 cities, including those belonging to unknown, hostile or distant civs
- Added the option to select target religion during Religious Persecution
- Added new hints & game concepts
- Added small Piety bonus for razing infidel cities
- Changed Inn and Brothel to provide cumulative +1 XP for all Espionage units
- Changed Den of Spies to provide +3 XP for all Espionage units
- Changed the way secessions work: some cities will revolt before others depending on the province, unhappiness, culture etc.
- Renamed Toassin Mamluk to Royal Mamluk
- Changed the Sindh's birth date from 1058 to 1011 CE and adjusted their UHVs and modifiers accordingly
- Changed the Prophet's Mosque, Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Imam Ali Mosque and Kaaba to provide culture properly
- Added a new message that alerts the player whenever new mercenaries become available in his region

Balancing
- Changed the Mongol GP massacre mechanic to randomly kill some settled GPs, rather than all of them
- Changed the tech boost effects of Al-Jazari's Workshop from 25% to 40% of tech cost
- Reduced the cost of some late-game techs
- Changed Courthouses and Temples to provide Stability to the owner, not just the founder
- Moved Topkapi Palace to Administrative Reforms; changed the effect to -25% Expansion Stability Penalty + early Absolutism
- Adjusted Empire, Aristocracy, Market Economy, Merchant Capitalism, State Monopoly and Religious Freedom civics
- Changed the Roman Emperor title: the holder cannot collapse but will lose some if its foreign territory instead
- Changed the Vikramaditya title: all foreign provinces in Hindustan become border provinces
- Adjusted inflation and research rate for Mamluks
- Added Kerman to Seljuk border provinces
- Changed the Pilgrimage to Mecca to a one-per-civ event
- Switched Infiltration I and II; moved -1 Movement Cost bonus to Infiltration III
- Increased the strength of Hemu's and Sher Khan's invasions

Bugfixes
- Added a possible fix for the RFC AI gold bug that occasionally made the AI get millions of gold
- Fixed the default autosave behavior
- Fixed the bugged Safavid UHV3
- Fixed the Oman UHV1 incorrectly counting cities that already have Shia Islam
- Fixed the UHV progress tracking display bugs for Oman, Ak Koyunlu and Safavids
- Fixed naval units incorrectly allowing Barrage promotion
- Fixed the mercenary upkeep causing unit strikes before auto adjustment of commerce sliders kicks in
- Fixed the 'Reconquest of the Holy Land' quest not disappearing after one civ completes it
- Fixed the text for 'Grateful Aristocrats' event
- Fixed the problem with the name of Sur in Oman (will be renamed Sour if the player already owns Sur in Syria)
- Added cancellation of holy war call if the Commander of the Faithful dies/collapses
- Disabled vassal & tech trading for the first 2 turns after civ birth (exploit fix)
- Fixed a number of graphical glitches with the Mercenary Screen UI and mercenary unit names

Graphics & sound
- Enlarged the text space in the Dawn of Man popup
- Added some updated city, building and unit art from Realism Invictus
- Added new diplomacy music for Akbar, Prithviraj, Dodo and Bhoja (cybrxkhan)

I started a game as Ajmer and I didn't get any workers or flip cities? Is this normal?

Civilopedia article doesn't list the new stuff for Roman Emperor.

The article about spies and assassins says assassins start out with Deception I but they start out with Infiltration I.

In the companies article in the paragraph about Hashshashins (isn't it Hashishiyya?) northern has a typo.

The fourth line for odds and ends: "salt flat" has a typo.

In the religion article about relics "can" is typoed.

If I have cities in all the provinces for Shahanshah but my vassal Oman also has a city in Fars, can I still gain the title?

Ajmer doesn't flip cities, nor does it have any starting workers. You have to conquer Gwalior and Chittor yourself. :D

I started a game as Ajmer and I didn't get any workers or flip cities? Is this normal?

Yes.

Civilopedia article doesn't list the new stuff for Roman Emperor.

There wasn't anything to add really, i.e. the owner still cannot collapse.

If I have cities in all the provinces for Shahanshah but my vassal Oman also has a city in Fars, can I still gain the title?

No.

Fixed the typos, thx.

The download has been updated to version 0.3.4.1, which includes one extra bugfix. If you already installed version 0.3.4 from May 31st, you can use this small patch to upgrade your version to 0.3.4.1. It is save-compatible with 0.3.4.

(can't wait for version 0.3.4.1a* rev. 2b) :lol:

I release updates every 2-3 months, so that was unwarranted :p This one python error could potentially stop other scripts from working so it needed a hotfix.

I didn't mean any disrespect. I'm just pointing to the fact that with the amount of work that your patches put in, they should be versions

or at least

rather than just

which would suggest a lot less to those not familiar with the mod.

Why doesn't Ghulam Horse Archer upgrade to Heavy Horse Archer?

You seem to have eliminated the holy city designations. The shrines are there but they aren't labled as holy cities.

Quoting for truth. This update is kind of unfortunate, I'll release another hotfix, possibly tonight. Long story short: no civ can collapse atm. At least it'll be save-compatible again, so your succession and what-not games can be continued.

Why doesn't Ghulam Horse Archer upgrade to Heavy Horse Archer?

It does. Maybe you're playing a civ that can't build HHA?

You seem to have eliminated the holy city designations. The shrines are there but they aren't labled as holy cities.

I can't reproduce this. Holy cities work fine for me and their icons show up fine as well.

It does. Maybe you're playing a civ that can't build HHA?

That's it.

I can't reproduce this. Holy cities work fine for me and their icons show up fine as well.
Sorry, I must have been seeing things yesterday.

Quoting for truth. This update is kind of unfortunate, I'll release another hotfix, possibly tonight. Long story short: no civ can collapse atm. At least it'll be save-compatible again, so your succession and what-not games can be continued.

The Buyids collapsed and Cilicia respawned in a game of mine.

The Abbasid UP doesn't seem to work correctly. The era before Mongol Invasion is Islamic Golden Age, correct?

Could you make it harder for civs to be willing to switch civics at the diplomacy table? Right now some gold or a tech is all it takes to put them in anarchy while an assassination is hard. Maybe keep it the same for vassals however. The problem for that is your vassal usually switches back after awhile. That and any state religion changes you ask them to make. Annoying. If the Zengids becomes my vassal then I should be able to have them stay Orthodox for more than 20 turns or so.

Could there be a piety boost if you convert another civ to your religion?

For the scripted AI Great Generals (Hulagu, Zengi, etc.) do you pick the promotions yourself or let the AI do it? I always find that they all have the retreat and movement promotions. I don't know why those would be chosen over the +10% strength line of promotions.

Can the AI be prevented from settling Great Generals? I don't think 2 XP makes much of a difference and it would very nice eye candy to see famous generals running around the map. Would the GG name list may need to be expanded?

You could also have an Assassination mission that would kill a unit that has an attached GG. I don't know what an appropriate cost would be however. The cost could scale up the more promotions you have. Then you could have a GG promotion line that would decrease the likelihood of being assassinated. You would also want a Spy hanging around to be forewarned of Assassins. Can Assassins kill or see other Assassins?

Would be also nice to have a leader for every major coordinated barbarian activity. Like we have Bala crossing Indus in 1219, but no unit for Chenghis Khan himself!

This would be really neat and re-emphasize that "barbarians" are actual civs invading rather than scattered tribes raiding. Is there a list of all the different invasions somewhere?

Can settled Great People retain their names when you hover over them?

IIRC you want to change Brothel to another name because it's more of a spy building than an actual brothel. In the meantime could you remove the piety and Sufi penalty? I don't know if you added an Hashashin bonus to the 3 spy buildings as well.

Because of the new spy buildings a new Assassin starts out with his assassination skill maxed out. (Free Assassination I plus 2 XP from Inn/Brothel gives you Assassination II) Perhaps you could stretch out this line of promotions?

Could you include mercenary siege engines? Pages 105-113 has a bunch of info on it and how the Armenians were particularly famous for their siegecraft. http://books.google.com/books?id=DIfrdzOtH-gC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA105#v=onepage&q&f=false

When do mercenary Heavy Horse Archers and Heavy Lancers start showing up?

Sulfur is valued by AI as a strategic resource even if they don't have the necessary techs to build gunpowder units. I don't know if anything can be done about this but I thought I would mention it.

@Embryodead
I have found the Vallhala of SoI Music. Mecca has been found in iTunes. Go to iTunes, and type in: Meyer Auditorium Concert Series into the "podcasts", and there you will find a treasure cove of "Asian" music, but mostly Middle Eastern, with some Byzantine thrown in

Were you able to use some of this?

The Buyids collapsed and Cilicia respawned in a game of mine.

The long story is that no civ with index higher than that of Roman Emperor (i.e. everyone, since Byzantines are 0) can collapse due to stability. Buyids most likely collapsed from losing more than 50% of their cities in a short time, and Armenia->Cilicia is scripted.

The Abbasid UP doesn't seem to work correctly. The era before Mongol Invasion is Islamic Golden Age, correct?

Yes, what is wrong with it? The tooltip doesn't show all info, but the bonus works fine.

Could you make it harder for civs to be willing to switch civics at the diplomacy table? Right now some gold or a tech is all it takes to put them in anarchy while an assassination is hard. Maybe keep it the same for vassals however. The problem for that is your vassal usually switches back after awhile. That and any state religion changes you ask them to make. Annoying. If the Zengids becomes my vassal then I should be able to have them stay Orthodox for more than 20 turns or so.

I'll make the AI less likely to switch away from master's religion.

For the scripted AI Great Generals (Hulagu, Zengi, etc.) do you pick the promotions yourself or let the AI do it? I always find that they all have the retreat and movement promotions. I don't know why you would choose those over the +10% strength line of promotions.

Both. I give them Combat 1-4 & Flanking 1-2 for free, then the AI spends the Leader's 20 XP itself.

Could there be a piety boost if you convert another civ to your religion?

No, too complicated as the event is not reported to Python.

Can the AI be prevented from settling Great Generals? I don't think 2 XP makes much of a difference and it would very nice eye candy to see famous generals running around the map. Would the GG name list may need to be expanded?

For fairness, settling GGs could be disabled, but it's part of the game and many strategies (2-3 settled GGs make a lot of difference)

You could also have an Assassination mission that would kill a unit that has an attached GG. I don't know what an appropriate cost would be however. The cost could scale up the more promotions you have. Then you could have a GG promotion line that would decrease the likelihood of being assassinated. You would also want a Spy hanging around to be forewarned of Assassins.

No, way too complicated. Think of what happens to XP/promotions.

Can Assassins kill or see other Assassins?

No.

This would be really neat and re-emphasize that "barbarians" are actual civs invading rather than scattered tribes raiding. Is there a list of all the different invasions somewhere?

Only what you see in Barbs.py.

Can settled Great People retain their names when you hover over them?

No, unless someone codes it. Sounds like too much work for litte gain tbh, but I'll look at it.

Could you include mercenary siege engines? Pages 105-113 has a bunch of info on it and how the Armenians were particularly famous for their siegecraft. http://books.google.com/books?id=DIfrdzOtH-gC&lpg=PP1&pg=PA105#v=onepage&q&f=false

I'll see, but I don't really like it.

When do mercenary Heavy Horse Archers and Heavy Lancers start showing up?

When half of alive civs have the techs needed to build them.

Sulfur is valued by AI as a strategic resource even if they don't have the necessary techs to build gunpowder units. I don't know if anything can be done about this but I thought I would mention it.

This is fine, the AI shouldn't give it away just because it can't use it yet.

Were you able to use some of this?

No, it's all live recordings of concerts with hall reverb, comments, public cheering etc.

Note: I'm not likely to code new features in forseeable future.

Yes, what is wrong with it? The tooltip doesn't show all info, but the bonus works fine.

My mistake. I thought it would show up like National Epic.

I'll make the AI less likely to switch away from master's religion.
Thanks.

Both. I give them Combat 1-4 & Flanking 1-2 for free, then the AI spends the Leader's 20 XP itself.
Zengi shows up with Free Flanking, then the AI buys Flanking II and III, Leadership and 30% withdrawal, which I don't understand. Wouldn't he be better off with Leadership and Strength 1-3, or even Strength 1 and 2 and March? March is pretty powerful since you heal every turn.

For fairness, settling GGs could be disabled, but it's part of the game and many strategies (2-3 settled GGs make a lot of difference)
How often does the AI settle 2 or 3 GGs in one city? I can only think of Cairo which does not happen too often. And it would be really neat to see generals on the map, which besides the scripted ones doesn't happen at all. At least I've never seen it.

No, way too complicated. Think of what happens to XP/promotions.
I was thinking that the whole unit would be eliminated not just the GG. Maybe base the assassination rate on the level of the unit?

So what's the defense against Assassins/Spies? That counter-espionage mission?

Only what you see in Barbs.py.
Do you think it is a good idea to spawn a historical GG with most invasions?

No, unless someone codes it. Sounds like too much work for litte gain tbh, but I'll look at it.
It's pretty minor, but I thought it would be neat to have if it doesn't take too much time to code.

Once you fill up the bottom line with Great People it doesn't continue to the line above it. Rather, it shrinks and only displays one of every type of GP you have. Only when you hover over it do you see how many of each type there are. Another minor thing, but is it possible to have continue to the line above? It's not like the line gets used by anything.

I'll see, but I don't really like it.
How come? Is it because of game balance?

This is fine, the AI shouldn't give it away just because it can't use it yet.
I was thinking of you trading the sulfur to an AI who is willing to give up multiple resources to get it.

IIRC you want to change Brothel to another name because it's more of a spy building than an actual brothel. In the meantime could you remove the piety and Sufi penalty? I don't know if you added an Hashashin bonus to the 3 spy buildings as well.

Because of the new spy buildings a new Assassin starts out with his assassination skill maxed out. (Free Assassination I plus 2 XP from Inn/Brothel gives you Assassination II) Perhaps you could stretch out this line of promotions?
You missed these two.

Note: I'm not likely to code new features in forseeable future.
That's ok if you don't make any of the changes I suggested. I just had a few ideas bouncing around in my head and wanted to put it out there. :)

Top Bottom