Tables

Thalassicus

Bytes and Nibblers
Is it feasible to add table support to the forum? There's a few versions out there for vBulletin, possibly this one.

I use tables often to post data like the sample below. My current method is to screenshot a spreadsheet from libreoffice and post it as a png (gets nice ~10KB file sizes). BBcode tables would probably use less site bandwidth, and might be more user-friendly for people without image editing experience. :)

Would it be possible to alter the code, so we can include attributes in the table tag like seen here?

The border attribute would especially be helpful. :)

Oh, those are beautiful. I've seen those on sites with vBulletin that have play by post DnD games, and they are very useful.

Discovered the new button dunno how many hours ago; researched formatting; fell in love. :D

Best new forum feature in I-don't-know-how-long.

P.S. It even sorts by column header!

Promo|XP Cost
0|0
1|10
2|30
3|60
4|100
5|150

[table="head"]
Promo|XP Cost
0|0
1|10
2|30
3|60
4|100
5|150
[/table]

Would it be possible to alter the code, so we can include attributes in the table tag like seen here?

The border attribute would especially be helpful, to do borderless tables. :)

The formatting that Thorvald of Lym linked to shows existing formats that are supported. Not sure if they have what you want. The table properties are inherited from the forum CSS, so I don't think you can turn borders off as it stands, unless I change the CSS (which I'm reluctant to do).

Yeah - the sorting is awesome.

Here's a tip for making large tables that's much easier than creating it directly on the forum. :)
  1. Create your table in Excel or LibreOffice Calc (the free version).

2. Copy the table to notepad.
  3. Find-replace tab characters with | vertical bars.

4. Copy to the forum.
  5. Click the button to insert table tags around your text.
Working with large tables in Excel/LibreOffice lets you use all the time-saving tools like moving columns and cells around, automatically calculating formulas, and so on.

Attachments

• Tables1.PNG
    Tables1.PNG
    11.4 KB · Views: 600
  • Tables2.PNG
    Tables2.PNG
    50.7 KB · Views: 607
  • Tables3.PNG
    Tables3.PNG
    11 KB · Views: 616
Is it possible for the "Modern CFC" forum skin to use the same table borders as the "Christmas" skin? The borderless Christmas tables are much easier to read than the normal ones. :)

Christmas

Modern CFC

Attachments

• ModernCFCTable.PNG
    ModernCFCTable.PNG
    4.6 KB · Views: 523
  • ChristmasTable.PNG
    ChristmasTable.PNG
    5.2 KB · Views: 533
In soooome versions you can specify yourself what style of borders you want by typing in additional stuff after the beginning tag:
(…)[/B]]

Top Bottom