• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Olympics 2012 discussion

I don't see it that way. If the basketball team doesn't win, I will care, and blame it on Queen James.
If the US basketball team doesn't win, you should blame it on Carmelo and Kobe and Coach K, not LeBron.

I have to be honest Jingo, from your post you sound like the paranoid one.
Hmmm nope, if someone puts an SAM battery on my rooftop I'd be pretty pissed too.
What I find interesting is HOW angry Canadians seem to be. It is women's soccer. Who cares?
We were favorites and we were winning 3 times.... Lost undeservedly and at the end of the day, a medal is a medal.
And, come on, it's football.

We were favorites and we were winning 3 times.... Lost undeservedly and at the end of the day, a medal is a medal.

Favorites? I thought the announcers said during the game that Canada hadn't beaten the US since 2001, even though they play all the time.

Also, one of the Canucks head-stomped one of the Americans early and should have been out with a red card. Officiating goes both ways.

What I find interesting is HOW angry Canadians seem to be. It is women's soccer. Who cares?

Because its Canada. We aren't the US. We don't win ridiculous numbers of medals at every Olympics, so a medal for any event is to be celebrated.

Isinbaeva only got bronze. :(

Why does Australia compete dressed like a banana? I know it's to be not-UKian, but why that colour?

Why does Australia compete dressed like a banana? I know it's to be not-UKian, but why that colour?

Green and gold, maaaaaaaaate

Nah it's gold maaaaaaaate.

Because its Canada. We aren't the US. We don't win ridiculous numbers of medals at every Olympics, so a medal for any event is to be celebrated.
FIFA investigating the result of Canada-USA.
Somebody made a point on the CBC comment boards I fully agree with. The American athletes tend to not only be ungracious losers, but also ungracious winners. It's that nasty attitude that puts us off, as much as the biased refereeing.

Nobody likes fixed or biased judging/refereeing. And Canadians tend to get screwed over quite a bit at Olympic Games - I'm thinking of the figure skating judging scandals years ago, where the ice dancing results were decided well before the first team had even stepped out for warm-up, and the Canadian pairs team getting robbed of a gold medal even though their routine was technically perfect and the Russian pair literally fell apart but was still awarded higher marks.

I remember the hockey game between Canada and Czechoslovakia in '92. That game went to a "5 shots on goal" situation after they just couldn't break the tie and the game went on and on and on... the officials insisted it happen immediately, instead of resurfacing the ice, which was extremely chewed-up by that time. Who knows if Canada would have won that game? But at least the ice surface wouldn't have contributed to the players on both teams missing some really easy shots.

This soccer situation should be investigated. It reeks of improper refereeing.

BTW, Canadians tend to hate biased judging in general, not just when it goes against us. I watched the women's balance beam finals this morning, and an appeal was filed on behalf of an American gymnast for the bronze after she was put down to fourth place behind a gymnast who fell off the beam. The American girl was nearly flawless, and it's good that the appeal succeeded. Nobody could have caught up to the gold and silver medallists (both from China), but the American clearly deserved the bronze.

Oh, and I just read on the CBC newsfeed that Canada won a bronze in men's high jump. :)

I agree about corruption. That is one of two reason I just can't get into soccer (the other being the frequency of flopping).

I can also understand the sportsmanship part. I don't agree that Americans in general are bad winners or losers, but I get the impression that the women's soccer team is both.

And, perhaps, if America was like Canada or many, many other countries and only won a handful of golds, this loss could sting.

That being said, if the women win gold, I don't care, because it is both soccer and being played by women.

Hmmm nope, if someone puts an SAM battery on my rooftop I'd be pretty pissed too.

And, come on, it's football.

The way you are defending the paranoid fool makes me suspect a sock puppet.

Top Bottom