Immortal University 90 - Hammurabi

klonoklown

Civ Junky
Greetings, Immortals and would-be Immortals (and indeed any other players of any level), and welcome to the Immortal University.

Here is our Leader:

Here's the opening scene:

The following settings were used to create this map

And the Demographics for people to spot any info they can

Before we start, here's the copy & paste bit where I get to pretend that I'm TMIT:

To play, just extract the WB save file into your worldbuilder saves directory, then play it. Use custom scenario if you want some extra settings to tickle your fancy. This series was designed for people learning immortal, so most people here will be at that level or trying to attain it, although deity players are welcome also. Hell, if you want to play this on NOBLE. The intention of this and any other game thread I post is to get better. Play whatever level you need in order to improve.

If you are aspiring IMM+, try to remember to add archery back to the barbs in WB. Every time you don't, a deity AI will kill a kitten, although there are a lot of kittens so it's not the end of the world if you prefer easymode barbs .

I do request people to list their difficulty and speed. In terms of updates, well nobody follows that anyway. Post in the manner you feel comfortable. Typical comparison dates are 1 AD, liberalism, and victory/defeat, as well as any major events. If in doubt, go with that.

We also have an initial Immortal/Normal autosave which is much more convenient since you can avoid all the worldbuilder shenanigans. It comes with my personal seal of approval (not least as my worldbuilder edits may contain hideous game-destroying errors that could cause your computer to explode ).

Attachments

• IU 90 - Hammurabi.zip
    66.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IU 90 - Hammurabi BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    31.6 KB · Views: 125
Think I'll try and play this one.
I need help to maintain focus and not automate after about 1AD so I can try and eek out a win before the mid 20th century.

Can't see any warrior moves that would encourage me to move I don't think, hoping for second food source WSW.

Hmmm yuck... Hard decision at turn 0.

Not much info available from the warrior for the settling.

• Settling on wine gives some extra commerce early but loses fresh water and I THINK it looks like you'd be claiming predominantly plains tiles.
  • The plains hill has no fresh water and it's a total stab in the dark.
  • Settle in place means having to do AH first (beurk). I love to mine Pigs if I have other food but there is none as far as I can see.
  • Early commerce in the Elephants and Wine only. But you need Bronze working to do anything here so how to get there...
  • Could delay the settling a bit to wander and lose 2 turns, hoping it's worth it?

Probably end up settling in place. It's not a horrible spot.

one remark:
==> Someone has a lot of soldiers. Bet Monty or Shaka is in ! :mad:

Might end up playing this at some point as my first imm attempt. That would for sure give you guys a good laugh when the AI teaches me how to roflstomp noobs...

I would probably move warrior 1N. There seems to be a grassland tile 2N1E of settler and I wouldn't want to loose a possible food resource on a stupid gamble move. If there's nothing there, I might gamble by moving settler south to pick up more river and what seems to be another hill 3S1E.

Hey yeah I missed that grassland tile ! Good job! Definately SiP now.

Played a few turns teching AH and explored a bit:

DO NOT CLICK HERE:

Spoiler :
Shaka, like, IN YOUR FACE :wallbash:!

Definitely SIP, warrior over there means it'd be hard to find a justifiable move.

AH ---> BW ---> situational. If we're fortunate we can settle to the south along the river and actually increase total :commerce: and research rate slightly, which will let us reach either pottery or writing after AH without too much grief.

Immortal, normal, defeat:
Spoiler :

Settled away from Shaka. 1 city north of and 2 cities west of the capital. Plan was to Elepult Shaka. However, Shaka went WHEOOHRN in 1950bc and declared on me in 1440bc with 3 axes and 2 impis. Game over...

Spoiler :

Haha, what a garbage start. Sure, capitol is ok, but the rest?
1. Shaka just beside you.
2. He, like everyone else has food! We on the other hand has none close to the cap besides on the coast, which is not ideal to expand towards. And we would need fishing.
3. Sury has just a great start, with both gold and gem mines close by, but out of our reach. And you need IW :(
4. Commerce is just as absent as food. Production there is though. Can FORGET about Oracle right away and hope you can cottage and limp ahead.

Am I trying to be too clever if I suggest to go

Spoiler :
AH : Pasture the Cow instead of the pig
MINING:Mine the Pig, start a settler at size 3 at 4F2H(cow)+ 2F4H(pig) + 3H(forestedPH) = 15 production, Settle towards shaka next to the horsies and build a worker, road into shaka.
WRITING: Build a library quickly thanks to the mined pig, heading to Bronze working and (I tried it, this is possible)
pasture the pig at the same turn the library completes, start another settler whilst running 2 scientists to Hop skip and Jump through POTTERY and HUNTING, chop + whip the settler and finish the Granary thanks to this before you hit pop3 again.
You can now backfill and you are halfway to a GS.

The idea behind was trying to get your research up ASAP without gimping the expansion too much.

This puts me here:
Spoiler :

(the Capital will actually grow next turn, I didn't put the tile back on the cow yet)

Better to go just BW immediately or 'will it do, pig?'

It looks like there are enough sites to go to lib regardless, IF we can keep 'that guy' at peace with us. He's plotting already (it ain't me)!

Well, this is practically over :(

imm until 1 AD

Spoiler :

Well, I knew with Shaka it is kill or be killed so I settled by the horses. And sure enough at 199 BC he dowed me. I was ready but his Impi are a pain. So nice that we do not have bronze either :( So we have been going back and forth, him not making any headway and me not making any headway. But as time passes and he is refusing to make peace the other AI's are just running away. Khmer has this great area and is great at rexing. At 500 BC everyone has writing except me and Shaka. I make a GG with chariot. After writing I can't tech anything anymore as all I can do is keep whipping to keep alive. I have 4 cites which is dead last. Then at 50 BC I fool Shaka's stack to think I was going to attack his 2nd city, but go for his cap instead. And I get no luck at all. Even though I took his cap I think this is it. Why?
Losing my GG at 97% odds is just lame and the fight should not had been that hard. 1 archer killed 4 chariots! Then Shaka still refuses to make peace. And he had a big stack and still many cities. All the Ai's capitol seems to be utlra cheated as all of them seems to be superb as Shaka has gold mine in BFC. Talk about troll map!

:mad:
Spoiler :

Gave into his early demands, so I was pretty hopefull that he was plotting on Persia towards whom he was annoyed, and he still just went after me. Wasn't ready. Have to reload to see if I stand a chance.

==>

:wallbash:

Spoiler :
Nope he runs in 1280BC with 3 impi and 2 axemen and I got 3 chariots and 3 cities :/ , irrespective of me offering him fishing which I got in an early trade, and givin' into his demands to cancel deals with Persia. WTH are you supposed to do in this situation? Gift him a city and settle towards the sea? But he declares at pleased doesn't he?

Spoiler :
It's so funny that you have to expand towards Shaka too as you want the horses, as there is nothing else :)

The Wine is only a 1 base commerce tile, so nothing is gained from settling on it.

I'd SIP, there's no reason to move IMO. I'll try this sometime this week.

yap, needs to be riverside for a 2C cap

Spoiler :
this is one tough map. *edit* which upon replaying, got easier since shaka founded judaism....

Immortal, Normal, up to 150 AD
Spoiler :
Look on the bright side, barbs are a non issue and we start with 2 great techs, lol. Seems the only play is a Bowman/Catapult break out so that's what I did.

Tech path went AH > Writing > Alpha > trade for Bw-Archery-fish-pot-myst-med-poly (for starters) Masonry > Math (bulb from 1st GS) > Construction. Initial build order went worker > warriors to 3 pop > settler > library while growing to 5 pop and immediately run 2 scientist. 2nd city would run 1-2 scientist too depending on what the Capital had qued (tile sharing to meet needs).

Next was balancing the right amount of chops with straight building for another settler and 2 more workers. I only made 1 barracks and that was in Capital which would be making Cats. The fish/sheep city would just whip Bowmans while 2nd city (cow/phant) would use chops. I opted to throw down several cottages and work them (and some more scientist [4cot/2sci) while I chopped all the Capitals trees for Catapults. Let me get a nice balance of growing cottages and getting some needed gold while still making units.

I declared on Shaka in the 700-600 BC range with 3 Cata/4 bowman in a border city that had 2 Impis. From there I pillaged his copper and took over Ulundi with 4 Cata/4Bowman and then faced something like 2 - 3 Archers and 2 LBS!! in the next big city. He got LBs in like 475 BC so I had to stop my war with a net gain of 3 cities.

My tech path then followed Currency > Aesth > Lit > CoL > CS and traded for some other little stuff. So at 150 AD i've got 6 cities, TGL in Capital, and am bringing over 200 beakers at 100% research. I'm 4 turns away from Music (1st) and plan on heading up to MT via Lib.

Still no MC or Calendar but should be able to trade for it soon. Will use a GA from Music to start a GA once my cities are set up (a bit later than usual) and switch civics/great people to make things happen. Looks like I'm not going to be doing any upgrading this game. Gonna be straight whipping for days and plan on taking out Sury/Shaka first.

Definitely a very tough map but anything on Emperor and below should be a breeze. You still kinda need a bit of luck on Immortal to get you past shaka.

@cseanny

Spoiler :
Congrats on getting past shaka! It looks like, getting 2 libraries up so early, you either had some strange trick from preventing him to declare, or you got a bit lucky with the rng? I tried to go asap writing as well and I just got stomped ! It seems not settling the horses to the direct southeast is the way to go, but when I tried that he settled there with his 3d city and declared anyway:/

@cseanny

Spoiler :
Congrats on getting past shaka! It looks like, getting 2 libraries up so early, you either had some strange trick from preventing him to declare, or you got a bit lucky with the rng? I prioritized writing as well and I just got stomped !Seems not settling the horse spot to the southeast is the way to go, but when I did that he settled there with the 3d city and declared 4 turns after anyway :/

Top Bottom